PDA

View Full Version : Difference Makers In This Game

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2007, 02:38 AM
1. Packers #4 -- His two interceptions lead directly to two Dallas touchdowns.

2. Dallas #9 -- He avoided what little pressure Green Bay applied, hit open receivers in stride and kept his cool.

3. Dallas #19 -- Gave Dallas great field position returning kicks, stretched the field on offense and was involved in two critical pass interference calls on Packers' DB's that gave Dallas that lead directly to two back-breaking Dallas Touchdowns.

4. Packers #20 -- Flagged for two costly 15-yard facemask penalties, consistently missed tackles and consistently late in coverage.

5. Packers #30 -- Illegally touched a "trick" onside kick in the 1st quarter that the Packers had recovered. His error gave Dallas the ball.

6. Dallas #81 -- Consistently beat the Packers secondary for big gains; bobbled a couple of passes, one of which was intercepted and could have cost Dallas the game.

7. Dallas Coaching Staff -- On defense, blitzed often and effectively creating opportunities for 3 sacks and 9 quarterback hurries. On offense, kept Green Bay off balance most of the night with a good mix of rushing and play action passes.

8. Green Bay Coaching Staff -- On defense, blitzed infrequently resulting in only 3 quarterback hurries by D-Lineman and no sacks. As a result Dallas receivers had too much time to get open. Had secondary play a zone which resulted in missed assignments and confusion resulting in wide open Dallas receivers. Wouldn't it have made more sense, given the Packers' inexperience and injuries in the secondary to blitz #20? On offense, tried to go up top too often with no success instead of emphasizing the quick, short passes that had been successful in previous games. Head coach squandered his second challenge, even though it was successful. Dallas still retained the ball on GB 30 yard line. He could have used that challenge in the 4th quarter with 5 minutes left on the Dallas 34 yard line to challenge the referees' spot of the ball one inch short of a first down with the score GB 24 DAL 34. Kicking a field goal on the following play was questionable strategy. GB had momentum. Man-up! Go for the 1 inch!

Tarlam!
11-30-2007, 03:45 AM
Should we have been blitzing like crazy?

The Leaper
11-30-2007, 08:18 AM
The refs were a difference maker as well. Unfortunately, they did make a difference in this game. The Packers really didn't get one call that went their way last night.

- Harris did take the ball away from Owens, and ruling that forward progress was stopped was a cop out. One ref clearly saw the play and signaled it was Green Bay's ball. I'm not sure how the other refs...none of which had anything close to a good angle on the play...overruled him.

- The extremely late pass interference call was a joke. The ball wasn't catchable, and it seemed their legs just got entangled. Again...a ref was clearly shown getting it right...and he was then overruled about 2 minutes after the fact.

- The spot on Ryan Grant's run on the next to last drive was pathetic.

I can forgive some of the holding penalties missed against our DL...the same calls were given to our OL a couple times. They let the guys up front play...that is OK with me. However, the three things I listed above were potential game-changing plays...and none went in favor of Green Bay.

RashanGary
11-30-2007, 08:21 AM
I just can't wait to get Jolly, KGB and Chuck back. This defense is not the same right now. They probably should have blitzed, but they rely on front 4 pressure. With the guys missing up front, they just didn't get it done.

I really hope the Packers have remarkable health down the stretch. We have a good team, but we need all of our pieces if we want to go toe to toe with the best.

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2007, 08:22 AM
I agree, Leaper. The calls you mentioned were BS. I really do think the refs were influenced by the home crowd, especially on the pass interference calls. I've been at that joke with the whole in the roof. The crowd noise is actually painful/scary.

Bossman641
11-30-2007, 08:25 AM
The refs were a difference maker as well. Unfortunately, they did make a difference in this game. The Packers really didn't get one call that went their way last night.

- Harris did take the ball away from Owens, and ruling that forward progress was stopped was a cop out. One ref clearly saw the play and signaled it was Green Bay's ball. I'm not sure how the other refs...none of which had anything close to a good angle on the play...overruled him.

- The extremely late pass interference call was a joke. The ball wasn't catchable, and it seemed their legs just got entangled. Again...a ref was clearly shown getting it right...and he was then overruled about 2 minutes after the fact.

- The spot on Ryan Grant's run on the next to last drive was pathetic.

I can forgive some of the holding penalties missed against our DL...the same calls were given to our OL a couple times. They let the guys up front play...that is OK with me. However, the three things I listed above were potential game-changing plays...and none went in favor of Green Bay.

Yea, some questionable calls. To me, it's not so much what the calls were as much as how they were made.

Harris' fumble/INT - the ref 3 feet away is signaling Packers ball, but the ref from the middle of the field comes running over and calls it forward progress??

Late interference on Williams - once again, the ref right there motions that it is incidental contact. The sideline ref comes running over and a good 15 seconds after the ball hit the ground they throw the flag?? That's bullshit.

Terrible spot on the 3rd down 1 as well.

Thing is, I checked out a Cowboys forum and they wouldn't even admit these were questionable calls. They were too busy complaining that Ware wasn't offides on the strip of Favre on 3rd down. :roll:

run pMc
11-30-2007, 08:28 AM
one inch short of a first down with the score GB 24 DAL 34. Kicking a field goal on the following play was questionable strategy. GB had momentum. Man-up! Go for the 1 inch!

I agree that challenging the spot might have helped. Maybe they thought it was a reasonable spot, or didn't want to challenge and risk losing a timeout that they'd need for their 2minute offense.

It was a two score game regardless. You take what you can get...whether it's the FG first or last.

I don't have a big issue with the FG on 4th and 1 except that from 52 yards out it was a bit of a gamble. You need to find out if Crosby can make those in a hostile stadium with a playoff-type atmosphere.

For all the things that went against GB in this game, they still made DAL work for the win...getting to within 3 with a backup QB running the team tells me that DAL wasn't exactly dominant. All the same, they are in the driver's seat for homefield, and kudos to them for the win. Now GB needs to heal up, get a couple more W's, and prepare for the rematch.

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2007, 08:36 AM
one inch short of a first down with the score GB 24 DAL 34. Kicking a field goal on the following play was questionable strategy. GB had momentum. Man-up! Go for the 1 inch!

I agree that challenging the spot might have helped. Maybe they thought it was a reasonable spot, or didn't want to challenge and risk losing a timeout that they'd need for their 2minute offense.

It was a two score game regardless. You take what you can get...whether it's the FG first or last.

I don't have a big issue with the FG on 4th and 1 except that from 52 yards out it was a bit of a gamble. You need to find out if Crosby can make those in a hostile stadium with a playoff-type atmosphere.

I can understand your point, but the issue to me is not that we needed two scores, but that we only needed one inch! We needed both a touchdown and field goal to tie. We were in good position there to drive in for the TD. I think it's always easier to kick a long distance field goal after you have the TD. It's not so easy the other way around.

mmmdk
11-30-2007, 08:55 AM
You can't correct the refs on judgement calls and home teams often get those calls. Packers can correct their own play and must avoid mental mistakes. You gotta play your game to perfection to beat good teams at their house.

I won't bash Favre as he's why we're 10-2 but Favre along with McCarthy stunk up the 1st 1½ Quater. The D is clearly overmatches by power offenses like Dallas and certainly New England. Woodson out did hurt a lot but Dallas got banged up in the secondary too.

That last drive by Dallas where Barber killed the clock was instrumental and showed who, as of now, ruled the trenches.

Here's what TT said:
"Clearly, every team is a better team when they have all their players suited up," Thompson said. "That's not an excuse. We had chances to get off the field and we didn't do it. That's a very good offensive team and, unless you get some pressure on them, they've got a lot of weapons."

KGB has had a good year but since when is KGB the "Reggie White" of Packers D? Packers front 4 couldn't do anything vs Dallas OL. That's where a better CB would help, say, Woodson? I think Packers must come up with some blitz packages for an eventual second meeting with the Cowboys this season. Al Harris was awful too; he's gotta get out of that TO funk.

digitaldean
11-30-2007, 08:55 AM

1 pick was when he was hit when he threw. The other was on Brett. Instead of hurrying the bomb, he could have just taken the sack and waited for the next play.

Sanders zone scheme was puzzling to say the least. The Packers' played man pretty much the whole year and NOW against the best team in the NFC you decide to switch??
:?:

Colledge is abysmal as a guard. He and Tony Moll should get to know each other on the bench the rest of the year. That doesn't excuse the lousy line play of the rest of the line last night. Blitz pickups by Grant were pretty sad also.

Grant showed if he has a crack of daylight to run through, that he can break it for a score. That part of his night was excellent. Loved that burst of speed to the hole.

McCarthy's play calling in the first half was flat out awful. You move the ball down the field with dink and dunk and get points. Then you go with the long ball? The flea flicker was lucky it wasn't picked off either.

Rodgers moves the ball down the field taking what the defense gave them and engineered 3 scoring drives. And for God's sake, fourth and inches, down by 10 and you decide to kick a low percentage FG?? Yes, we got the points, but the mojo they were starting to get back left when they raised the white flag on that play.

Rodgers was awesome given the circumstances. Does that it's solidified he's the heir when #4 leaves, one would have to say so. 2-1/2 quarters don't make a season or career, but given the leaky o-line he played very well.

Special teams coverage was beyond an F grade last night. Illegal touch on a perfect squib kick, giving up 32, 35 and 38 yards on KO returns is wretched. When you surrender 40-45% of the field, your D is put in an awful bind.

Collins has regressed, Bigby wins the Torrance Marshall award for his stupidity. Why are you trying to grab a facemask when you have a RB contained to a 3 yd. gain?

Overall, the officiating and their usage of instant replay is worthless. It had a minute bearing on the game. But Harris' strip and INT on TO was a screw job. If you can see that the ball was stripped on a replay in your living room, can't someone with a screen down on the field see the same thing?

Overall, Corey Williams better pay Johnny Jolly a commission if CW gets a big deal with the Packers. Without Jolly's play on the line, he was a soft as a Twinkie last night.

mmmdk
11-30-2007, 09:13 AM

1 pick was when he was hit when he threw. The other was on Brett. Instead of hurrying the bomb, he could have just taken the sack and waited for the next play.

Sanders zone scheme was puzzling to say the least. The Packers' played man pretty much the whole year and NOW against the best team in the NFC you decide to switch??
:?:

Colledge is abysmal as a guard. He and Tony Moll should get to know each other on the bench the rest of the year. That doesn't excuse the lousy line play of the rest of the line last night. Blitz pickups by Grant were pretty sad also.

Grant showed if he has a crack of daylight to run through, that he can break it for a score. That part of his night was excellent. Loved that burst of speed to the hole.

McCarthy's play calling in the first half was flat out awful. You move the ball down the field with dink and dunk and get points. Then you go with the long ball? The flea flicker was lucky it wasn't picked off either.

Rodgers moves the ball down the field taking what the defense gave them and engineered 3 scoring drives. And for God's sake, fourth and inches, down by 10 and you decide to kick a low percentage FG?? Yes, we got the points, but the mojo they were starting to get back left when they raised the white flag on that play.

Rodgers was awesome given the circumstances. Does that it's solidified he's the heir when #4 leaves, one would have to say so. 2-1/2 quarters don't make a season or career, but given the leaky o-line he played very well.

Special teams coverage was beyond an F grade last night. Illegal touch on a perfect squib kick, giving up 32, 35 and 38 yards on KO returns is wretched. When you surrender 40-45% of the field, your D is put in an awful bind.

Collins has regressed, Bigby wins the Torrance Marshall award for his stupidity. Why are you trying to grab a facemask when you have a RB contained to a 3 yd. gain?

Overall, the officiating and their usage of instant replay is worthless. It had a minute bearing on the game. But Harris' strip and INT on TO was a screw job. If you can see that the ball was stripped on a replay in your living room, can't someone with a screen down on the field see the same thing?

Overall, Corey Williams better pay Johnny Jolly a commission if CW gets a big deal with the Packers. Without Jolly's play on the line, he was a soft as a Twinkie last night.

:worship: Awesome read.

GO PACK GO :pack:

Fosco33
11-30-2007, 09:56 AM
M3 made another stupid challenge on the non-fumble/Harris call. The Packers would not have gotten the ball back regardless and only gave up 12 yards on the play.

Could've used that challenge on the 3rd and 1 spot - but when I watched on TiVO - the spot was decent and I doubt would have been overturned.

The Leaper
11-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Could've used that challenge on the 3rd and 1 spot - but when I watched on TiVO - the spot was decent and I doubt would have been overturned.

I didn't see a replay. It looked like he landed on his back with the ball right on the line...and the refs spotted it much shorter. Why did you think the spot was decent?

Fosco33
11-30-2007, 10:27 AM

I didn't see a replay. It looked like he landed on his back with the ball right on the line...and the refs spotted it much shorter. Why did you think the spot was decent?

Watched it a few times - even in slo mo - the yellow line was incorrect to start with (the red flag to mark FD was pretty clearly after the television line).

HarveyWallbangers
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
The first challenge was in the first half. We lost a timeout. That was the only lost challenge. You get two of them. The first challenge had no bearing on whether or not he could challenge the spot in the second half.

Fosco33
11-30-2007, 11:21 AM
The first challenge was in the first half. We lost a timeout. That was the only lost challenge. You get two of them. The first challenge had no bearing on whether or not he could challenge the spot in the second half.

We had two challenges used by that point (second overturned TO's catch). The point was - M3's first challenge was retarded.

Rules state you only get 2 challenges per game - so it did impact his ability to challenge this play.

HarveyWallbangers
11-30-2007, 11:26 AM

We had two challenges used by that point (second overturned TO's catch). The point was - M3's first challenge was retarded.

Rules state you only get 2 challenges per game - so it did impact his ability to challenge this play.

From my understanding: you get two unsuccessful challenges. If you win a challenge, you don't use it up.

I don't think it was that bad. I don't think it was that obvious he caught the ball and also I don't think it was a bad thing to show the refs how bad they screwed up. It had zero bearing on the game.

Fosco33
11-30-2007, 11:39 AM

From my understanding: you get two unsuccessful challenges. If you win a challenge, you don't use it up.

I don't think it was that bad. I don't think it was that obvious he caught the ball and also I don't think it was a bad thing to show the refs how bad they screwed up. It had zero bearing on the game.

The non-fumble cost the Packers 3 points and a chance at field position. When the ref actually indicated Packers ball - and yet again - they converged and ruled forward progress the Packers should've accepted a shitty call and not made it worse (it was clearly a catch - which they challenged). I don't think you get more challenges if you get the overturn.

Challenge Rules:

For the first 28 minutes of each half, coaches must challenge an official's call to have it reviewed.
Coaches are allowed two challenges per game. If a call is not overturned, the challenging team loses a timeout.

HarveyWallbangers
11-30-2007, 11:54 AM
You are correct that we were out of challenges at that point. I thought it was that you'd get it back if you were correct--not that you'd get a third challenge if the first two challenges were successful.

Prior to the 2004 NFL season, the instant replay rule was slightly changed to allow a third challenge if both of the original two challenges were successful.

Personally, I didn't think the spot later in the game was that bad, so again I don't think it had any bearing on the game. When watching the play originally, I thought there was a chance the refs--especially knowing the screwed the play--would deem Harris got the ball before Owens had the catch. Coaches don't win every challenge. As far as not being a big play, Dallas got a first down. If it's overturned, they have a 3rd and 9. It's not like they wouldn't have gained from an overturn. It may have been the wrong move, but I don't think it was so bad that it warrants too much consternation. If he had done it in the second half, when timeouts are more important, then I would have had a problem with it.

The Leaper
11-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Coaches don't win every challenge. As far as not being a big play, Dallas got a first down. If it's overturned, they have a 3rd and 9. It's not like they wouldn't have gained from an overturn.

No, but you simply do not waste a challenge on that kind of play in the first half on a play that does not involve scoring or change of possession. If he could've challenged whether or not it was a turnover, I'm fine with the challenge. However, challenging a 15 yard catch on the first drive of the game for the Cowboys is ludicrous. You only get 2 challenges...you can't waste them on stupid crap like that early, because you don't know if you'll need them later. Even if the Grant spot would not have been overturned, it would have been nice to have the challenge to force the refs to look at it again.

Fosco33
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Coaches don't win every challenge. As far as not being a big play, Dallas got a first down. If it's overturned, they have a 3rd and 9. It's not like they wouldn't have gained from an overturn.

No, but you simply do not waste a challenge on that kind of play in the first half on a play that does not involve scoring or change of possession. If he could've challenged whether or not it was a turnover, I'm fine with the challenge. However, challenging a 15 yard catch on the first drive of the game for the Cowboys is ludicrous. You only get 2 challenges...you can't waste them on stupid crap like that early, because you don't know if you'll need them later. Even if the Grant spot would not have been overturned, it would have been nice to have the challenge to force the refs to look at it again.

Exactly