PDA

View Full Version : Woodson update

packers11
11-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Charles Woodson (toe) was "not even close" to playing on Thursday night.

"It was cut and dried. I knew it wasn't going to happen." Woodson said. Toe injuries can linger, and Charles wouldn't guarantee he'd be back next week. If he has turf toe, it could be a while. His replacement, Jarrett Bush, was benched in favor of Tramon Williams in the second quarter.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Freak Out
11-30-2007, 11:20 AM
I've never had a toe injury other that a stub so I have no idea what he is dealing with but we need him healthy.

RashanGary
11-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Description

Activities such as football, basketball, soccer, field hockey and lacrosse show the high incidence of injury to the great toe joint on artificial surfaces. Other non-sporting causes include change in shoe gear, limited range of motion of the great toe joint, and sometimes flat foot conditions.

Mechanism of Injury

There are two mechanisms of injury for turf toe. The most common cause is hyperextension of the great toe joint. The great toe joint is hyper-extended as the heel is raised off the ground. An external force is placed on the great toe and the soft tissue structures that support the great toe on the top are torn or ruptured.

Physical Signs and Symptoms

Symptoms of acute injury include pain, tenderness and swelling of the great toe joint. Often there is a sudden acute onset of pain during push-off phase of running. Usually, the pain is not enough to keep the athlete from physical activities or finishing a game. This causes further injury to the great toe and will dramatically increase the healing time.

Injuries to the great toe that cause turf toe are graded into three categories.

A Grade I turf toe injury is considered to be mild and the supporting soft tissue structure that encompass the great toe are only sprained or stretched. This is the most common type of injury. There is minimal swelling with mild local tenderness and usually no black and blue bruising evident.

Grade II turf toe injuries are considered moderate in severity. They present with more diffuse tenderness, swelling, restricted range of motion and usually are mildly black and blue in appearance. There is usually a partial tear of the supporting ligaments but no articular cartilage damage.

Grade III injuries are considered severe in nature because of the considerable swelling, pain on palpation, restriction of range of motion, inability to bear any weight on the injured foot and diffuse black-and-blue appearance of the great toe. There is generally tears to the joint capsule, ruptured, ligaments and possibly compression damage to the articular cartilage of the great toe.

Treatment

Treatment is usually centered on an individual basis and the severity of the injury sustained. The following are general principle guidelines for turf toe injuries. The mnemonic モRICEヤ can be employed. The モRヤ stands for rest and is the hallmark component to allow for successful healing to occur. However, this is the greatest area of noncompliance because the athlete assumes the injury to be trivial and not severe enough to miss a game or practice. The モIヤ represents ice, which is usually performed for the first 48-72 hours after the initial injury. Cryotherapy consists of placing the injured toe in a bucket of ice water for 15-20 minute intervals. モCヤ signifies compression, which is done by taping the great toe in a compression dressing or strapping. The モE: stands for equipment modification or change. For example, the use of a stiffer athletic shoe to resist motion of the great toe or the insertion of an orthotic to increase the support of the great toe.. Additionally, strapping of the great toe to limit motion may allow a highly competitive athlete to return to activities quicker. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) may be utilized for relief of minor pain as well as to decrease the inflammation of the injury.

Grade I injuries do well with strapping and usually only require a few days of rest. Grade II injuries should adhere to the モRICEヤ principles above and usually require one to two weeks of missed practices and games. Grade III injuries are more severe injuries and the healing process may take four to six weeks of recovery time from physical activities. Sometimes, Grade III turf toe injuries do not heal appropriately with conservative care and result in chronic pain and instability. Surgical reconstruction of the joint capsule, ligaments and articular cartilage may be necessary to restore proper alignment and function in these extreme cases.

RashanGary
11-30-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't know how severe it is, but I'll just guess here and say it will be 3-5 weeks. At best, I could see him missing the next two games. At worst, I could see him being out until the playoffs and then having it nag on and requiring surgery. More than likely he'll be back for the playoffs if they are smart with it (unless it is a rare, level III case).

Freak Out
11-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Well we can assume he does not have a grade 1...hopefully the two weeks off he will have can get him healed up.

Brohm
11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Did they actually ever come out and say he had Turf Toe?

The Leaper
11-30-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't see any reason why Woodson should even consider playing the rest of the regular season. Let's give him 5 weeks to rest that toe. We only need to win 2 more games at most to clinch the #2 seed and the division. I think that can be accomplished without Woodson, unless he is actually at 100% prior to the end of the season.

packers11
11-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I agree Leaper... There is no need to rush Woodson or KGB onto the field...
Even though the packers have a 10 day rest, that may not be enough for them, and i'd rather have them 100% in the playoffs then in some meaningless regular season game (against Oakland)...

RashanGary
11-30-2007, 12:11 PM
I'll double ditto that sentiment. Just wait untill they are healed. IF it never heals then have him tough it out in the playoffs.

Bossman641
11-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Bad news

Hopefully he's a quick healer. Sit him for the OAK game if there are any doubts.

MadtownPacker
11-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Woodson isn't needed to beat the raiders. Thats should make the decision simple. Let Tramon have his fair shot over Bush.

This is a perfect game to gain confidence back for everyone.

packers11
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Were is Blackmon... I saw him suited up, he should get a shot...

I don't like Walker, he looks to slow... Bush reminds me of Carroll but less grabby... Williams shows potential but he needs to turn around for the ball...

KYPack
11-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Did they actually ever come out and say he had Turf Toe?

I really think the term "turf toe" has fallen out of favor. They don't seem to use it anymore. The athlete's hated it bc it made 'em sound wimpy.

Now they make other medical descriptions of the same injury, but don't call it turf toe.

It's a badass injury, it has cost guys careers.

DannoMac21
11-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, bench him against Oakland. I'm pretty sure JaMarcus Russell will be playing too, so he'll have his struggles. That's a solid 17 days to recover. KGB should be fine, if Woodson needs to sit longer, then so be it. Even without Woodson and KGB, I don't see this team losing a game for the rest of the season.

mmmdk
11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Damnit :x Please get well soon Woodson.

Also, I'll be rooting for the Saints on sunday to beat the Bucs. I think Packers could lose 2 more if Woodson is out for a long time.

Lurker64
11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
I really think the term "turf toe" has fallen out of favor. They don't seem to use it anymore. The athlete's hated it bc it made 'em sound wimpy.

But metatarsalphalangeal joint sprain is so hard to pronounce and to spell...

Joemailman
11-30-2007, 06:16 PM

But metatarsalphalangeal joint sprain is so hard to pronounce and to spell...

I think he has a MPJS. :D

Brewhaha
11-30-2007, 06:59 PM
I predict Woodson will miss the rest of the year, including playoffs.

Everyone fan in the world knew he shouldn't have been returning punts.

gbpackfan
11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
I predict Woodson will miss the rest of the year, including playoffs.

Everyone fan in the world knew he shouldn't have been returning punts.

That is a silly prediction. And I am a fan who LOVED TO SEE WOODSON RETURNING PUNTS. Very good returner imo. I would put him back there again. It's football, players get hurt, get over it.

Scott Campbell
11-30-2007, 07:10 PM
We can live without Woodson on our punt return unit. We can not live without Woodson in our secondary.

packers11
11-30-2007, 07:21 PM
We can live without Woodson on our punt return unit. We can not live without Woodson in our secondary.

Couldn't have said it any better...

Were is Carroll now a days??? Maybe "Grabby Smurf" is secretly teaching Bush how to cover...

4and12to12and4
11-30-2007, 09:29 PM
Sit him until he's 100%. We only need two wins at the most for the bye, and our young guys need the work. We just need to be healthy for the playoffs. If you think about it, it's perfect how this is working out, we stayed healthy long enough to have an outstanding record and assure ourselves a bye unless we have a total meltdown, and now we have a few key guys with not so serious injuries that should be ready for the playoffs and we will be at full strength right at the perfect time, and meanwhile, our backups can get more reps and game time, which will only help us with depth for the playoffs. Cup half full theory.

Carolina_Packer
11-30-2007, 09:43 PM

Couldn't have said it any better...

Were is Carroll now a days??? Maybe "Grabby Smurf" is secretly teaching Bush how to cover...

I guess he has to do something other than work on his legal defense...

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10168322/rss I wonder if he has had his trial date.

cpk1994
12-01-2007, 06:23 AM
I don't know how severe it is, but I'll just guess here and say it will be 3-5 weeks. At best, I could see him missing the next two games. At worst, I could see him being out until the playoffs and then having it nag on and requiring surgery. More than likely he'll be back for the playoffs if they are smart with it (unless it is a rare, level III case).ITs hard to say what it will be. Sterling Sharpe, if you remember, played through a whole season with turf toe.

falco
12-01-2007, 05:29 PM
can't they just amputate?

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Ya kinda need that toe...especially if you wanna run which is why it's such a bothersome injury.

Brohm
12-01-2007, 06:37 PM
MM said everyone except Jolly and Franks should be ready for the Raider game.

RashanGary
12-01-2007, 06:40 PM
MM said everyone except Jolly and Franks should be ready for the Raider game.

I saw that. I think it would be silly to rush Woodson back with this toe. When they think it's OK, I'd give him one more week jsut to be sure. His interceptions are one thing we can't do without in the playoffs.