PDA

View Full Version : If we play Dallas again...

packers11
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
How would you scheme on defense...

I THINK our offense will be fine if they stick to the short passing game (like Aaron was doing in the second half)...

But how about defense...

Do the packers just play strictly man with woodson back???

In my opinion this defense is to vanilla they need to disguise more often to confuse quarterbacks...

So, how would you scheme against Dallas next time (On D)...

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Blitz. Play man not zone.

The Leaper
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
We need to start getting #38 to learn how to bring a corner blitz. That kid is fast, and could make an impact as a blitzer.

HarveyWallbangers
11-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Everybody has to be healthy.

Woodson on Owens. Harris solo on Crayton, bump-and-run. Safeties cognizant of Owens and Witten deep. Make them earn their TDs--which means playing from deep to short (e.g. don't give up the long ball).

Occasionally blitz, but it's still going to be up to the DL to get pressure. They have to play better. Having KGB and Jolly back should help.

Dallas is going to score points. Just like our offense is going to score points against most teams. We have to make them earn it, get some pressure on Romo (especially early), and don't give up the easy deep ball.

Play smarter. As questionable as the call on Williams was, he didn't even need to be that close. The ball was overthrown. No facemasks to extend drives and things of that nature.
:D

packers11
11-30-2007, 12:19 PM
Harv I like that scheme...

Harris on crayton would be a huge mismatch, crayton wouldn't be able to move...

Woods is fast and can stay with T.O. and have a safety watch over the top so no deep ball could get by...

Is there a way I can get you into shotty's job??? :wink:

The Leaper
11-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Everybody has to be healthy.

Woodson on Owens. Harris solo on Crayton, bump-and-run. Safeties cognizant of Owens and Witten deep. Make them earn their TDs--which means playing from deep to short (e.g. don't give up the long ball).

I prefer putting Bush on Owens.

You say...HUH???

I prefer a constant double team of Owens. You utilize Bush at the LOS. You give him safety help over the top, and tell him to not worry about anything past 10 yards. Tell him to pound Owens right between the numbers on his chest on every snap and disrupt timing. Bush is basically a liability in coverage...but if you make it this specific, he should be able to get it right. Even if he does get beat within 10 yards, it can't kill us.

Woodson prefers the slot...and would go against a slot receiver or Witten.

Harris should be able to handle Crayton. He should never again be placed on Owens. Owens owns Al Harris.

Collins and Rouse will be the safeties...and whoever is on the side of the field with Owens is the over the top coverage on him.

The defensive front will need to come up with more complex blitz packages and stunts.

I think that is how we best handle the Cowboy offense.

Tarlam!
11-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Harris needs to be true to his rep is all. He was two steps slower than >TO and that had TO running wild.

And what is this handover responsibilty shit against TO?

MOBB DEEP
12-01-2007, 11:53 PM
...we LOSE

Jimx29
12-01-2007, 11:56 PM
...we LOSEhttp://i3.tinypic.com/73ma3k1.gif

MOBB DEEP
12-02-2007, 12:03 AM

I dislike t.o. and dallas more than the dentist but am a reaiist; we're not on their level YET! xperience, etc..look at the way things have transpired with both organizations and it makes sense imho. mike sherman set us back but next year we will rival pats and other afc foes...

mcfadden rocks

Scott Campbell
12-02-2007, 08:30 AM
...we LOSE

I watched that game, and I'm not ready to concede anything to the Boys. They have alot of my respect, but I like our chances in a rematch situation with a healthy squad and a mulligan on the gameplan.

Fred's Slacks
12-02-2007, 08:38 AM

I dislike t.o. and dallas more than the dentist but am a reaiist; we're not on their level YET! xperience, etc..look at the way things have transpired with both organizations and it makes sense imho. mike sherman set us back but next year we will rival pats and other afc foes...

mcfadden rocks

I don't know mobb. I agree, that we are not were Dallas is yet. They have a more veteran team. They've spent alot of money on FA's like TO, Davis, Columbo, and Hamlin. They should be the better team at this point. That said, we were beat up and at the tail end of a grueling schedule. We made some stupid mistakes and didn't seem to be ready for that game yet we still made a game of it. If we can get healthy, I think we'll be better prepared for the next matchup.

The biggest key in my opinion is being ready for their blitzes. If we handle their blitzes better by keeping guys in to pick them up or making the hot reads, our offense should move he ball effectively and put points on the board. If our defense hadn't been on the field so much in the second half, I think they would have fared much better. We do need to apply more pressure, but getting KGB and Woodson back will do a lot to shore up that side of the ball without changing the game plan.

RashanGary
12-02-2007, 08:45 AM
I like the Packers chances. I think the mid and short range passes were there to be taken but we didn't take them until Favre went out. I think the run game could have been effective, but we ignored it for most of the 1st half except that big run.

I think our ST's are a lot better than they played. I can't explain what happened, but they just laid an egg (similar to the Chicago game).

As far as defense goes, I think KGB is a real difference maker in the pass game. He is sitll one of the top 5 edge rushers in the game. I gaurantee Romo wouldn't have been able to just sit back and complete long passes on 3rd and long.

Woodson's probowl play speaks for itself

Jolly, like KGB is a difference maker but Jolly makes a difference in the run game. When it's 3rd and 1, I acctually watch the play thinking we are going to stop it. Jolly and PIckett are that stout and our LB's (and bigby) have done a great job preventing any bounce outs.

Summary: KGB helps get us off the field on 3rd and long. Jolly helps us get to 3rd and long and if it's 3rd and short he gives us a great chance to stop that too.

Woodson is just a playmaker and a consistant part of our secondary. Tramon Williams and Jarred Bush just didn't cut it but if everyone is healthy, Woodson won't be covering for a minute on each play so the task will not be nearly as impossible as it was for Harris and company on thursday.

Scott Campbell
12-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Tramon Williams and Jarred Bush just didn't cut it............

I did't think Tramon played that badly. But I missed part of the game.

Fred's Slacks
12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
I like the Packers chances. I think the mid and short range passes were there to be taken but we didn't take them until Favre went out. I think the run game could have been effective, but we ignored it for most of the 1st half except that big run.

I think our ST's are a lot better than they played. I can't explain what happened, but they just laid an egg (similar to the Chicago game).

As far as defense goes, I think KGB is a real difference maker in the pass game. He is sitll one of the top 5 edge rushers in the game. I gaurantee Romo wouldn't have been able to just sit back and complete long passes on 3rd and long.

Woodson's probowl play speaks for itself

Jolly, like KGB is a difference maker but Jolly makes a difference in the run game. When it's 3rd and 1, I acctually watch the play thinking we are going to stop it. Jolly and PIckett are that stout and our LB's (and bigby) have done a great job preventing any bounce outs.

Summary: KGB helps get us off the field on 3rd and long. Jolly helps us get to 3rd and long and if it's 3rd and short he gives us a great chance to stop that too.

Woodson is just a playmaker and a consistant part of our secondary. Tramon Williams and Jarred Bush just didn't cut it but if everyone is healthy, Woodson won't be covering for a minute on each play so the task will not be nearly as impossible as it was for Harris and company on thursday.

I keep forgetting about Jolly. It's easy to overlook how much he contributes. Not only the things you said, but he keeps Williams fresh by taking some of the reps.

KYPack
12-02-2007, 09:54 AM
The injured players return would be huge.

Jolly (maybe the most importatnt one)
KGB
Woodson

Those guys can help our defense execute.

On O, take the underneath routes til the D adjusts, then hammer 'em on their adjustments.

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:01 AM
And make Harv the D coordinator for the game.

gbgary
12-02-2007, 10:34 AM
you mean when we play dallas again. hopefully everyone on our side of the ball will be healthy. we have to......play D the way we have all season. aggressively! maybe more so. not soft like they did most of the other night. on O we have to...play the way we have all season! ball controll passing. not the panic driven scheme of the other night.

oregonpackfan
12-02-2007, 10:41 AM
When we play the Cowboys again, McCarty will need to harness in Favre to stay with the successful "Dink and Dunk" type of offense rather than the "Go For Broke" long passes.

As other posters mentioned, with the return of the injured players, I do believe the Packers are capable of beating the Cowboys.

RashanGary
12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
The Oline is going to have to work as hard as possible to get fixed what was obviously broken the other night. Tausch healing up should help a little, but the problems went beyond that. They need make at least a 20% gain in their performance in order to give Favre the time to make things happen. That deep ball has to be part of the game, it just has to be calculated and the protection has to be there to make it effective.

Guiness
12-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Nah - couldn't really be, could it?

Charles Woodson
12-02-2007, 12:09 PM
When we play the Cowboys again, McCarty will need to harness in Favre to stay with the successful "Dink and Dunk" type of offense rather than the "Go For Broke" long passes.

As other posters mentioned, with the return of the injured players, I do believe the Packers are capable of beating the Cowboys.
I was not real impressed with the cowboys... They out played us, but then again we HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON PENALTIES i belive we had something like 145 yards... Both of those long pass inerference calls were huge. I really think that we can beat them in the playoffs.If favre gets back to the short passes in the begining and we we pound the ball with the running game, Then and only then will the long passes be open...

cpk1994
12-02-2007, 12:51 PM

mcfadden rocksIT was 27-24 Dal with 12:44 to go in the game WITHOUT FAVRE! WIth that alone, I call BS on saying we are not on their level. No way is Dallas that much better. If healthy, GB can beat Dal in the NFC Title game.

4and12to12and4
12-02-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree, we were half the team we have been, and the good thing about that, is that, they will be overconfident if we play them again, but hopefully, they get beat in the divisional round, and hopefully by the Giants, and we don't have to worry about it.