PDA

View Full Version : Colledge/Bush to stay on bench?

packers11
11-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Colledge to stay on bench?

Junius Coston and Jason Spitz would start at guard if the Packers played today, coach Mike McCarthy said, but Daryn Colledge has at least some chance to regain his starting spot.

McCarthy went out of his way to praise Colledge at length a day after the second-year pro was pulled from the Packers' 37-27 loss at Dallas. But McCarthy indicated Spitz and Coston, who finished Thursday's game, are atop the depth chart for the time being.

"Daryn and Jason and Junius are really all about pretty equal in their productivity, in their performance," McCarthy said. "We're just trying to ... find the right combination, and we're keeping it as competitive as possible."

It's a similar situation at cornerback, where on Thursday, Tramon Williams replaced Jarrett Bush, who struggled as a fill-starter in place of injured veteran Charles Woodson. McCarthy said Williams was "pretty solid" but indicated he, Williams and Will Blackmon, who returned to action Thursday after missing nearly two months with a foot injury, would continue to compete for time.

"Those guys do everything together, and they're all about at the same point their careers, as far as the level of play," McCarthy said.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Bretsky
11-30-2007, 04:17 PM
In order to succeed with five wideouts, we need competent OL play.

Colledge, for those of us, including me, who expected him to seriously get stronger and step up his game this year ....are disappointed

Partial
11-30-2007, 04:30 PM
He definitely needs to hit the weight room and start eating up. Not only does he need to get stronger, he needs to fill out and get some weight in the ass so he can anchor.

PackerTimer
11-30-2007, 05:11 PM
my frustration with colledge is only compounded by the fact that he had been playing better the last few weeks and then he comes out with this stinker.

falco
12-01-2007, 10:07 AM
my frustration with colledge is only compounded by the fact that he had been playing better the last few weeks and then he comes out with this stinker.

that comment describes a lot of players in thursdays game, including favre.

if coston does become a starter though, its another late round success by thompson. seems he has more success there than in the first 2 rounds.

Tony Oday
12-01-2007, 10:32 AM
I think its the coaching staff that has failed Colledge. I mean this kid should have been forced to hit the OCB and the weight room all off season. He has the skills just needs to be coached up.

Bush well I mean cmon he is just new. I mean he is in basically the right position most of the time however never in the exact right position and doesnt have the make up speed to get there. I blame talent and coaching on that one.

wist43
12-01-2007, 10:58 AM
I think its the coaching staff that has failed Colledge. I mean this kid should have been forced to hit the OCB and the weight room all off season. He has the skills just needs to be coached up.

Bush well I mean cmon he is just new. I mean he is in basically the right position most of the time however never in the exact right position and doesnt have the make up speed to get there. I blame talent and coaching on that one.

Don't know about that one Tony... Colledge is known to be a bit of knob. Apparently he's extremely arrogant, and generally an unlikable guy who can not only be difficult to coach, but can be difficult to be around on a day to day basis.

Guys like that tend to bring it on themselves. Of course, if he starts playing well, his penchant for being a punk will be overlooked... but playing like crap on top of being a petulant brat will definitely land ya on the bench.

Tony Oday
12-01-2007, 11:00 AM

Don't know about that one Tony... Colledge is known to be a bit of knob. Apparently he's extremely arrogant, and generally an unlikable guy who can not only be difficult to coach, but can be difficult to be around on a day to day basis.

Well Wist if thats right I would honestly say cut the shyt out of him :) not kidding. I hate these punk players that think they know it all I mean Favre is still getting coached up and he is a first balot hall of famer...they may even break the rules and just put him in after this year! :)

Guys like that tend to bring it on themselves. Of course, if he starts playing well, his penchant for being a punk will be overlooked... but playing like crap on top of being a petulant brat will definitely land ya on the bench.

Merlin
12-01-2007, 11:28 AM
I am not as concerned about the guards right now as I am Mark Tauscher. Although he played with injury against Dallas, it didn't really help the team. He got beat a lot and you could tell he wasn't moving like normal. Hopefully he heals a lot before the Raiders game, otherwise we need to sit him and let him get healthy. The sack that took Favre out just isn't something we are used to seeing from either of our tackles.

It was evident early that Tauscher was struggling but we didn't keep anyone in to help him until after Favre went out. That is on McCarthy.

RashanGary
12-01-2007, 11:38 AM

I agree with this. Colledge has a bit of an "I'm the smartest guy in the world" edge to his personality. He reminds me a bit of Bryant Gumble with the tone in his voice. Not that it's everything, but football isn't rocket science. Who cares if you are smarter than the guy across from you. Just work your technique and follow directions. You don't want morons. You want guys iwth a good head on their shoulders but Colledge's smarts go beyond what is needed in football and the attitude that he's developed enters into the realm of annoying. Hopefully he becomes a player. If not, the average intellignence meat head will take his job and everyone will be more forgiving because he's not such a know it all asshole.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 11:39 AM
I thought the sack that took Favre out was on Favre himself for not changing the protections...

but I do agree that if Tausch isn't being effective, then he needs to either come out or have help.

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2007, 12:08 PM
The next game against Dallas will be a whole new kettle of fish.

Maybe moving Colledge to right tackle would have been an improvement over gimpy Tauscher.

i don't think fretting over the Dallas game makes sense. the stars were not aligned. they will field a very different team in Dallas next time, and I seriously doubt you will see Favre throwing deep into double coverage the next time.

Bretsky
12-01-2007, 06:39 PM

I agree with this. Colledge has a bit of an "I'm the smartest guy in the world" edge to his personality. He reminds me a bit of Bryant Gumble with the tone in his voice. Not that it's everything, but football isn't rocket science. Who cares if you are smarter than the guy across from you. Just work your technique and follow directions. You don't want morons. You want guys iwth a good head on their shoulders but Colledge's smarts go beyond what is needed in football and the attitude that he's developed enters into the realm of annoying. Hopefully he becomes a player. If not, the average intellignence meat head will take his job and everyone will be more forgiving because he's not such a know it all asshole.

I didn't want to bring this up because I've been called out with the "How do you know for sure" card before, but I've heard this as well through the media.

I listened to his interview after the Bears beat the Pack this year. Gave the Bears no credit at all and I would say complete arrogance would have fit my perception as well.

Bretsky
12-01-2007, 06:41 PM
The next game against Dallas will be a whole new kettle of fish.

Maybe moving Colledge to right tackle would have been an improvement over gimpy Tauscher.

i don't think fretting over the Dallas game makes sense. the stars were not aligned. they will field a very different team in Dallas next time, and I seriously doubt you will see Favre throwing deep into double coverage the next time.

How in the world do we really know if Colledge will be better or worse as a tackle ? Because he's a little quick ? Because he's weak ? He's been preparing to play guard since he's been here. I have no clue if he'll be one bit better as a tackle. We certainly didn't draft him to play there because we're OK at that position.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 07:44 PM

I didn't want to bring this up because I've been called out with the "How do you know for sure" card before, but I've heard this as well through the media.

I listened to his interview after the Bears beat the Pack this year. Gave the Bears no credit at all and I would say complete arrogance would have fit my perception as well.

Nah, I've seen interviews with him and came away with the same impression. Thought getting benched once or twice might have improved his attitude, but possibly not.

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2007, 09:20 PM
How in the world do we really know if Colledge will be better or worse as a tackle ? Because he's a little quick ?

Colledge has played well at LT when he has filled-in. He looks like an LT to me, he doesn't have a lot of butt on him.

I was only suggesting they try him at RT against Dallas because Tauscher appeared to be in big trouble.

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Kind of an interesting article on him in the JSO. Seemed like a conscious attempt to help the guy shake the "arrogant" label.

It's just that he's always been "The Guy," see? So he's not used to being questioned. In reality he's one humble dude.

Funny how writers can create personas for players. How much is true? Hard to say.

Bretsky
12-02-2007, 10:32 AM
Kind of an interesting article on him in the JSO. Seemed like a conscious attempt to help the guy shake the "arrogant" label.

It's just that he's always been "The Guy," see? So he's not used to being questioned. In reality he's one humble dude.

Funny how writers can create personas for players. How much is true? Hard to say.

I think there were implied hints of his arrogance even as a rookie as to why he wasn't starting a few games. If you listened to the interview I did you'd have the same view IMO.

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Actually I think I would, Bretsky. My point was that the article seemed to me to be an attempt to change the guy's image for him. I didn't mean that he wasn't or isn't arrogant. It just looks like he paid a writer to make him sympathetic.

Fred's Slacks
12-02-2007, 10:56 AM
I also think Colledge would make a better tackle than guard. I think the Packers viewed him to be similar to Wahle when he was drafted because of his
athleticism. Where they differ is Wahle had a lot more strength to hold up against the big bull rushing DTs. Colledge doesn't have that. He's seems better suited going up against the lighter, faster DE's. Just my opinion.

KYPack
12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
I also think Colledge would make a better tackle than guard. I think the Packers viewed him to be similar to Wahle when he was drafted because of his
athleticism. Where they differ is Wahle had a lot more strength to hold up against the big bull rushing DTs. Colledge doesn't have that. He's seems better suited going up against the lighter, faster DE's. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I can see this, too.

He's an athlete, but doesn't have the physical mass to play guard. cliffy might have his last snap at any time, he's that fragile (maybe big mark, too.)

It doesn't jurt to have a guy like Colledge around.

He doesn't have NFL strenrth to play any position right now, but should acquire it in time.

Patler
12-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I think Colledges problems have less to do with strength, and more to do with technique. His strength is rarely, if ever, mentioned by anyone anymore, and is is said to have made very good gains in that regard over the summer.

On the other hand, McCarthy, Philbin, Campen and Larry McCarren at various times this year have mentioned how poor his technique is at times this season. Sports writer have said it too. Today's article stated it succinctly:

Philbin said Colledge's technique was bad, as he played with flat feet, and that his problems weren't mental errors but with executing the proper technique and fundamentals.

Personally, I see no reason why he will be any better at tackle, where technique is even more important. A tackle with bad feet becomes a guard, a center or unemployed. Colledge was horrendous in the Miami game last year. I know he was up against one of the very best, but he was awful until MM adjust his play calling to roll Favre away from Taylor, with quick passes and still giving Colledge help on just about every snap.

Colledge was probably the biggest, strongest, baddest guy where ever he was until he came to the NFL, where just about everyone was previously. He probably dominated on size and intensity, without enough emphasis on technique at Boise State. Very few can do that in the NFL. That can be a problem with drafting guys from second tier football programs.

Colledge might still develop into the player the Packers had hoped. He seems to be able to do it at times, even against good players. Consistency is a huge problem with him, which can be attitude, mental preparation, or just experience. Wahle was pretty awful at times too, was a starter his second year, and benched his third year. Part of his problem was, like Coston, he came into the league much younger than most. Colledge doesn't have that excuse, he is two years older than Coston. If he doesn't "get it" by next year, he probably never will.

Pacopete4
12-02-2007, 05:13 PM
the thing is.. now we are getting to the point where we havent fixed our inside lineman which is going to be combo'd with tausch and clifton probably not playin very much longer... its been a poor, poor excuse on getting a good line in green bay and it will be this teams downfall no matter how much talent they have at the skilled positions

Patler
12-02-2007, 06:44 PM
the thing is.. now we are getting to the point where we havent fixed our inside lineman which is going to be combo'd with tausch and clifton probably not playin very much longer... its been a poor, poor excuse on getting a good line in green bay and it will be this teams downfall no matter how much talent they have at the skilled positions

Well's is fine at center.
Spitz, Coston, Colledge are better than they were last year. However, as inexperienced as they are, I expect at least two to improve still more next year, maybe all three. Throw in Barbre and Moll and I think they might find two decent guards out of the bunch.

Neither Rivera nor Wahle really came into their own until about their fourth year or so, and both were looked at as the weakest links on the line for several years as starters. A lot was expected of Colledge because he is such a good athlete, not unlike Wahle. He hasn't "gotten it yet" about what the NFL requires play after play after play.

Spitz has never relied on athleticism, I suspect; not unlike Rivera. Rivera continued to get better and better until his 6th or 7th year, really. Spitz could do the same, although he may be more suited to the Packers line under Sherman than under MM.

I'm not that down on our young linemen, although I think next year is an important one for all of them.

I also don't think Clifton and Tauscher are as close to retirement as some of you might. Each is only in his eighth season. Tackles playing 12 or more seasons is not that uncommon, but I do hope the Packers start drafting some tackles in the next several drafts.

Pacopete4
12-02-2007, 06:47 PM
tausch is always hurt.. and clifton has those bad knees that will prevent them from keeping on keeping on

Patler
12-02-2007, 07:40 PM
tausch is always hurt.. and clifton has those bad knees that will prevent them from keeping on keeping on

That is what happens with many O-line men the last halves of their careers. How many years did Rivera play with one injury after another, but rarely missed anything. Dotson did for years until Tauscher finally arrived. Clifton has been pretty healthy this year, so far, but a couple capable backups are needed. Tauscher might have benefited this year from sitting a week when he first was injured.

Its funny, we think of them as being injured, but since Tauscher went down with the knee injury in 2002, he has played every game except the five he missed last year. That's 71 of 76 possible games since the knee surgery.

Since the Sapp hit ended his 2002 season, Clifton has missed just one game, not because of his knees, not because of any other injury. It was due to the flu. 75 of 76 games since some thought he might not ever play again.