PDA

View Full Version : Update on Sean Taylor : 1 confession... suspects guilty...

packers11
12-01-2007, 12:01 AM
Friday, November 30, 2007
Four arrested in Taylor case; police anticipate 'murder, burglary' charges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

MIAMI -- Police said two men and two juveniles arrested Friday in the shooting death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor went to his home intent on stealing, not killing.

The suspects didn't expect Taylor to be home, said Miami-Dade County police Director Robert Parker, but Taylor was recuperating from a knee injury and had returned to Miami from Washington. When Taylor surprised them, he was shot.

"They were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone," Parker said. "They were expecting a residence that was not occupied. So murder or shooting someone was not their initial motive."

Police spokeswoman Linda O'Brien identified the four suspects as: Venjah K. Hunte, 20; Eric Rivera Jr., 17; Jason Scott Mitchell, 17; and Charles Kendrick Lee Wardlow, 18. O'Brien said the charges for each had not yet been determined, but "we are talking murder and burglary."

The four were arrested Friday in southwest Florida, about 100 miles from Miami. They will be booked into the Lee County Jail and eventually will be returned to Miami, O'Brien said. She did not have any information on when they would appear in court, their hometowns or if they had attorneys.

Janelle Hall, a spokeswoman for Miami-Dade County jail, said security reasons prevented her from releasing information regarding when the suspects would be transferred to Miami.

The 24-year-old Pro Bowl safety died Tuesday, one day after being shot at his home in an affluent Miami suburb during what officials said appeared to be an attempted burglary.

Police have been investigating a possible link to a Nov. 17 break-in at Taylor's home, during which they said someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed.

Authorities said they had more than one confession, but Parker would not elaborate.

"We're looking into whether or not one or more of the individuals had been at the residence before," Parker said.

Family friend Richard Sharpstein said at least one of the suspects was at Taylor's house when his sister recently had a party, but that Taylor did not know the men.

"It's a burglary, and they targeted him for his wealth," said Sharpstein, who's Taylor's former attorney. "It makes his death even more pathetic, unnecessary and just, actually disgusting.''

Sharpstein had not spoken with Taylor's family regarding the arrests, but said he doubted it provided any comfort.

"I know they are just saddened and appalled. The fact that they arrested his killer is no comfort to them," he said. "It probably inflames them more, because it tells them people were trying to steal from him.

"They are murderers. They should be treated like murderers and put in the Miami River and floated away."

The Miami Herald reported on its Web site that Mitchell and Wardlow had connections to Taylor. Mitchell cut Taylor's lawn and did other chores at the house, Mitchell's twin brother, Scottie, told the newspaper. Taylor's sister, Sasha Johnson, dates Wardlow's older cousin Christopher, and Scottie Mitchell told the paper the couple invited Jason Mitchell to Johnson's birthday party within the past two months.

A woman who identified herself as Jason Mitchell's mother told the Naples Daily News her son was at a birthday party at Sean Taylor's home a couple months ago. She also said her son was at home all week and last weekend.

"I don't know where he's at, I don't know why he's being held," she told the Naples paper. "No parent should see this happen to their child."

O'Brien would not confirm the reports when contacted by The Associated Press.

Taylor and longtime girlfriend, Jackie Garcia, were awakened early Monday by loud noises at Taylor's home in an affluent Miami suburb. Taylor grabbed a machete he kept in the bedroom for protection, Sharpstein said. Someone broke through the bedroom door and fired two shots, one missing and one hitting Taylor in the upper leg. Neither the couple's 18-month-old daughter, also named Jackie, nor Garcia were injured.

The bullet damaged the femoral artery in Taylor's leg, causing significant blood loss. Taylor never regained consciousness and died a little more than 24 hours later.

A public viewing for Taylor is scheduled Sunday in Miami, and the entire Redskins organization plans to fly to Florida to attend Monday's funeral at Pharmed Arena at Florida International University.

The Redskins also announced that fans attending the team's Sunday game will receive a towel with Taylor's No.21 jersey on it and that his name will be displayed prominently in one of the end zones. Snyder said the team will contribute a minimum of $500,000 to a fund to benefit Taylor's daughter.

Redskins owner Dan Snyder released a statement late Friday acknowledging the arrests.

"This is another step, but not a conclusion, in a very personal and painful tragedy," he said. "I also want to thank everyone who has joined us in mourning the loss of Sean. People from all over the world contacted the Redskins to share our grief and offer their prayers for Sean and his family. We will never forget the courage his family, especially Jackie, Pete and Donna, have shown. Their composure has been a source of strength for us all."

Badgerinmaine
12-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Interesting (although still very, very sad). Sounds less like "his past coming back to bite him" than "wrong place, wrong time".

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Here's the latest. It looks like they now have 2 confessions and 4 charged, though I'm surprised they released the names of the juveniles...

December 1, 2007 - 2:12pm

By MATT SEDENSKY
Associated Press Writer

MIAMI (AP) - Four suspects were charged Saturday in the shooting death of Washington Redskins star Sean Taylor, with two of their lawyers confirming some have confessed.

Charles Wardlow, Eric Rivera and Venjah Hunte were denied bond during a brief court appearance via videoconference in Fort Myers. The fourth suspect, Jason Mitchell, was charged Saturday afternoon and had not made a court appearance.

All four are charged with unpremeditated murder in Taylor's death, a killing police said was unplanned and arose out of a burglary at the player's home. They're also charged with armed burglary and home invasion with a firearm or another deadly weapon.

The four were arrested Friday in southwest Florida, about 100 miles from Miami.

Miami-Dade County police Director Robert Parker said the suspects didn't expect Taylor to be home when they broke in early Monday, but the Redskins safety was recuperating from a knee injury and had returned from Washington. When Taylor surprised them, he was shot.

"They were certainly not looking to go there and kill anyone," Parker said. "They were expecting a residence that was not occupied. So murder or shooting someone was not their initial motive."

Authorities said they had more than one confession, but Parker would not elaborate.

Wilbur Smith, the attorney representing Rivera, said Saturday he expected a speedy resolution.

"Don't expect this to be a long, drawn-out thing," he told The News-Press of Fort Myers. "Because there are confessions, I believe this will be quickly resolved."

Although some media reports identified his client as the one who pulled the trigger, Smith said he had not yet spoken extensively with Rivera to determine if that's true. He said his client was remorseful.

"It's an indescribable tragedy for the Taylor family, and it's a tragedy for the families of these other young men because their lives are down the tube," Smith said.

Rivera's MySpace page appears to reflect a love of money. It is wallpapered with images of stacks of bills, and he's seen photographed lying in a bed with $100 bills strewn atop him and fanning a wad of money in front of his face. He lists "countin money" among his interests and puts his income at $60,000 to $75,000. He goes by the name "$MR.FLORIDA$".

According to the page, Rivera last logged in sometime Friday. He described his mood with an obscene word for angry.

John Evans, the attorney representing Wardlow, said it's likely all four suspects will be transported to Miami on Sunday. He said his client was reflecting on the gravity of the charges he faces.

"My client has not, I don't think, come to terms with what is being alleged," Evans told the AP on Saturday. "He's in a position, dressed in the orange jumpsuit over there in the county jail, thinking about his life and thinking about his future. You can only imagine the things going through his mind now."

The four suspects all have prior arrests, according to Lee County Sheriff's Office records.

Wardlow, 18, was arrested twice for selling marijuana and once for grand theft of a vehicle. Rivera, 17, was arrested in October for trafficking cocaine and methamphetamine, and he previously was behind bars for altering the identification number on a firearm.

Hunte, 20, was arrested previously this year on drug and trespassing charges. And Mitchell, 19, has been arrested twice, most recently in October on charges of driving with a suspended license and violation of probation.

Richard Sharpstein, Taylor's former attorney, said Saturday he had spoken with the athlete's father since the arrests. He said the family was appreciative police had worked so effectively, but the news provided little relief. Taylor's father is the police chief of Florida City, a small town on the tip of the Florida mainland.

"The arrest of Sean's killer provides no comfort or solace to Sean's family," he said. "They are grieving and haven't buried their son, boyfriend and father yet."

The 24-year-old Pro Bowl player died Tuesday, one day after being shot at his home during what officials said appeared to be an attempted burglary.

Police have been investigating a possible link to a Nov. 17 break-in at Taylor's home, during which they said someone pried open a front window, rifled through drawers and left a kitchen knife on a bed.

"We're looking into whether or not one or more of the individuals had been at the residence before," Parker said.

GrnBay007
12-01-2007, 01:34 PM

The thing that is still confusing is why they broke down the door to the bedroom? Wouldn't a locked inside door indicate someone was in that room?

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 02:04 PM
And if you're not intending on killing anyone, why bring a gun?

Rastak
12-01-2007, 04:24 PM

I gotta disagree with this. Punks carry guns and use them all the time. I'm sure many do not intend to. I would guess unless it is premediated murder they don't intend to use them. How many times have people killed other people for little reason because they happen to have a gun on them.

I'm a big hater of hand guns. I lean right alot but when it comes to guns, I don't follow the party line at all. In my neighborhood it's been quiet the last few years but there were about 6 handgun murders within 8 blocks of my house 10 years ago. I don't like 'em.

GrnBay007
12-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Wonder what unpremeditated murder gets in Florida?

The only thing I could find from the 2007 Florida Statutes is this...
and doesn't say if there is a mandatory minimum sentence.

(3) When a person is killed in the perpetration of, or in the attempt to perpetrate, any:

(a) Trafficking offense prohibited by s. 893.135(1),

(b) Arson,

(c) Sexual battery,

(d) Robbery,

(e) Burglary,

(f) Kidnapping,

(g) Escape,

(h) Aggravated child abuse,

(i) Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult,

(j) Aircraft piracy,

(k) Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb,

(l) Carjacking,

(m) Home-invasion robbery,

(n) Aggravated stalking,

(o) Murder of another human being,

(p) Resisting an officer with violence to his or her person, or

(q) Felony that is an act of terrorism or is in furtherance of an act of terrorism,

by a person other than the person engaged in the perpetration of or in the attempt to perpetrate such felony, the person perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate such felony is guilty of murder in the second degree, which constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Jimx29
12-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Here's the latest. It looks like they now have 2 confessions and 4 charged, though I'm surprised they released the names of the juveniles...

You kind of/sorta answered yourself there. Most states, once your charged with any felony your age means nothing. It probably also means they will all be tried as adults.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 05:43 PM

You kind of/sorta answered yourself there. Most states, once your charged with any felony your age means nothing. It probably also means they will all be tried as adults.

I'd be extremely surprised if they aren't all tried as adults, especially considering it wasn't a first offense for any of them.

That means it stays on their permanent record, right?

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2007, 06:26 PM

The thing that is still confusing is why they broke down the door to the bedroom? Wouldn't a locked inside door indicate someone was in that room?

You are attempting to put logic to an illogical situation. Trying to logic out an emotional response is futile.

Kind of like logicking (i made that up) yourself into loving someone...they might have all the great qualities you like/need, but you can't logic love.

You can't think like a normal human being. Those kids were kids, and not thinking rationally.

At this stage of the game we don't know how frightened they were, were they high on something, etc.

Maybe they broke it down fearing that the person inside was coming after them with a gun.

We just don't know. And, most likely we never will.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2007, 06:28 PM

I gotta disagree with this. Punks carry guns and use them all the time. I'm sure many do not intend to. I would guess unless it is premediated murder they don't intend to use them. How many times have people killed other people for little reason because they happen to have a gun on them.

I'm a big hater of hand guns. I lean right alot but when it comes to guns, I don't follow the party line at all. In my neighborhood it's been quiet the last few years but there were about 6 handgun murders within 8 blocks of my house 10 years ago. I don't like 'em.

You are 100 percent right.

Lot's of kids/punks/whatever carry guns. I know sane/rational normal folks that have guns in their car. And, they are far from criminals.

Plus, carrying a gun in Miami/the south is quite normal. More like not owning a gun is wierd.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 06:29 PM
We just don't know. And, most likely we never will.

Unless the details of the confessions get out...

Jimx29
12-01-2007, 07:56 PM

>>That means it stays on their permanent record, right?<<I believe so, but to the type of characters these 4 seem to be, having that on their record only gives them "street cred" and they thrive on it.

Thing is, they will probably only be able to nail one person for the murder (unless the two shots he received were from two different guns), so he'll be the only one to do any significant time. The rest.....well, there' O.J, Blake, and Spector out walking free proving that our current judicial system is all kinds of fucked up, so who knows if they will even see any time

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I gotta think this case is high-profile enough that a certain amount of vigilantism will take place and sentences will be dished out to appease an angry public.

GrnBay007
12-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Those kids were kids, and not thinking rationally.

That statement really scares me.

If the "kids" are on that level that they would do something to this extreme by not thinking rationally then they really need to spend their remaining years locked up. .....for the good of society!

Edit: I need to edit this because it's obvious a lot of crime is committed by not thinking rationally. And I do believe people can change. Guess I'm concerned about the "unpremeditated" part and hoping they get more than a slap on the hands. The whole thing about busting the locked bedroom door down bothers me. It's one thing if Taylor came up on them and startled them, but to break open a locked bedroom door just seems more than "unpremeditated".

Harlan Huckleby
12-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Why do police release all this information to the public? It really bugs me, almost like the Duke Lacrosse case where the police/prosecutor tried to build a case in the media.

When police got nothing, they say, "no comment during an ongoing investigation." When they THINK they know the story, they spill their theories to the press and make a fair jury trial impossible.

REally bullshit. I've heard all kinds of details from the police on this case that should be verified and proven in court, not announced to the press.

Freak Out
12-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Suspects guilty?

MOBB DEEP
12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
the whole thing is just a tear jerker and not jus b/c he's my fav def player in the nfl...bought his jersey 1 hour after hearing of his death at fedexfield "skins shop"...sob sob (i REALLY dig his steelo!)

KYPack
12-02-2007, 09:47 AM
If you are lugging around a gun, shouldn't that be pre-meditation?

Maybe they didn't plan to kill Taylor, but they did plan to commit a crime.

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:16 AM
What a mess. What a mess.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Those kids were kids, and not thinking rationally.

That statement really scares me.

If the "kids" are on that level that they would do something to this extreme by not thinking rationally then they really need to spend their remaining years locked up. .....for the good of society!

Edit: I need to edit this because it's obvious a lot of crime is committed by not thinking rationally. And I do believe people can change. Guess I'm concerned about the "unpremeditated" part and hoping they get more than a slap on the hands. The whole thing about busting the locked bedroom door down bothers me. It's one thing if Taylor came up on them and startled them, but to break open a locked bedroom door just seems more than "unpremeditated".

Premeditated revolves around their intentions from the beginning, not in the course of the crime. If i am robbing you and get startled and shoot you, i will certainly be charged with some type of charge that revolves around murder/manslaughter/etc..(tyrone is far from a lawyer, and rarely watches legal shows). But, the DA isn't going to say that I came to murder you and then rob you.

I guess, what i was trying to say, is that we don't know and may never know what flashed thru that kids mind. He may not even know himself. How many of us really know why we do things that we do..not talking about crimes.

But, let me give you a scenario that could lead up to the crime. Let's say 3 of them know about Taylor's pad. They are out, smoking/drinking/etc..who knows. They run into a 4th person. They are driving around, they are near Taylor's neighborhood, they start talking about Taylor's sweet pad. Now, those 3 may have not even been thinking about a crime. The 4th guy, who is more in tune with committing crimes..or just thinking about it..starts inquiring about the pad..and before you know it has talked about how easy it is to rob it. Voila. Robbery ensues.

My point isn't to exonerate this idiots, but to perhaps give an explanation of how easily things can go wrong. We all, as normal..ok, relatively normal folks, try to think about this in a rational sane manner. We talk of planning this, or how it went down. When, often these kinds of things aren't planned and are spontaneous.