PDA

View Full Version : My long awaited Week 13 Mea Culpa.

retailguy
12-01-2007, 02:50 PM
10-2. Certainly no one, except possibly Iron Mike (and I think he was drunk at the time), could have predicted this. Clearly, I did not believe it possible. I was wrong. Way wrong. Probably the most wrong prediction I have ever made in my life, and considering I am an awful gambler, that’s saying something. :oops:

To make it worse, I was utterly convinced I was right, and no one on the face of this earth could have convinced me that I was wrong. I was not open to new ideas because I’d seen many failures in the last 10 years in the NFL. I hadn’t seen anyone succeed with the model that Ted was implementing, the closest was probably Andy Reid, and he, being the best exception certainly didn’t “make it” either. Now, for those of you pointing to Bill Bellichek and Scott Pioli, please don’t. That team was built primarily with low priced free agents, but we haven’t even really had enough of those to make a difference.

Looking back, I was supportive of Ted, not withstanding several jokes, over the first 18months. I always acknowledged that Ted was a good discoverer of talent, but made it clear that I really didn’t like him as a leader or as a person. I still feel that way, but, sometimes bad leaders can still lead. Clearly he can find talent, but it’s more than that, he can find talent that can be developed. That’s a much different task, and probably everyone will agree with me that it’s a much more difficult job. Today, I guess I assume that he can channel that ability into some form of leadership. I am finding that I’m reversing my viewpoint, even though he has yet to secure the 4th Green Bay Lombardi Trophy. I now think that’s possible. In September, I didn’t think it was even a bad dream. It was simply unattainable.

My frustrations exploded on March 3rd when it was announced that Ahman Green was leaving Green Bay for the warmer confines of Houston. I knew Ahman was old, and considered by many to be over the hill. To a certain degree, I agreed with them, however, still believed that he was the best running back on the roster by a wide margin, and letting him go, was just plain stupid. The free agent crop was poor, at best, and worse, it didn’t look good for drafting a running back, as there were only two, one who was injury prone and overvalued (another wrong opinion), and the second I really didn’t like and didn’t fit the scheme either.

Knowing the line was poor, even with the late season improvement, I believed that a strong running back was critical to the success of the team. (In week 13, that’s been shown to be slightly inaccurate too). Nonetheless, I couldn’t see where he’d get a replacement, even if Ahman was old and over the hill. I knew that the solution wasn’t on the roster. I thought, at best, they could be Samkon Gado types for a few games, but wouldn’t be a consistent threat. Then, he drafted Brandon Jackson, and I had a bit of hope, for 2008 anyway. I just thought he was too raw to make a difference this year. I thought that maybe, if McCarthy and Co. could somehow motivate Wynn, maybe the combination might work. When he made the cut down day trade for Grant, I actually praised him for doing “something”, but didn’t see how a guy who had never had a regular season carry, and had spent the year on the Giants practice squad could bail him out of the mess he was in. (wrong again….)

While I knew that players can and do improve from year to year, our chances hinged on ALL or most of them anyhow, improving. I knew that wasn’t likely, and I interpreted that to mean it was impossible. That frustrated me even more (if that was even possible). While I expected improvement, I also expected many blown assignments, many young players not on the same page, and that would result in many vanilla plays and schemes which good teams would pick apart in the second half of games. This hasn’t happened either. That is clearly a credit to McCarthy and his coaching staff, who I wasn’t extremely high on either. (At least I’m consistent, right?...lol).

After watching the Eagles game, I was very quiet. Pleased with the win, I looked at how they played and thought how long of a season it would be. I got a glimmer of hope after the San Diego game, but considering how poorly the Chargers had played to that point, I figured it was a bit luck and a bit good fortune in terms of the timing.

I started to believe the week after the bye week, but still expected a letdown and a long losing streak at some point. After the Broncos/Chiefs game, I began to truly believe. To me, that two game road trip is the most impressive pair of wins this season.

Today, I’m not really concerned with the loss at Dallas. I question whether or not it was smart to keep KGB and Woodson on the bench, but McCarthy has done so many things right this season, I’ll defer that to him. He’s clearly earned that, and I intend to give it to him. I don’t expect the team to lose again in the regular season, and am beginning to believe that the division championship is an achievable goal. I’m not going to look at the Super Bowl (believe me, with my prediction skills this is a GOOD thing…). I will say this, that, from this fan’s perspective, if they lost all remaining games, I’ll still be pleased.

I was frustrated that Brett’s final year would be wasted, and just pissed that with a few well placed veterans this team could’ve got lucky and won some. Once you win some, you just never know. Well, today November 30th, here we sit at 10-2, with a playoff berth and the second playoff seed coming with one win and two losses (Tampa and Seattle). Worse for me, it was done without ANY help from a free agent veteran (marginal or not). Clearly that is a good thing, but doesn’t bode well for my prediction skills.

In closing, I want to be clear. I still don’t like Ted. But today, I respect the job he has done quite a bit more. I wouldn’t choose him as a friend, I won’t believe much of what he says, but, to this point, he’s done a hell of a job building this football team. I hope this success will continue and I believe it will. I’m officially back on the bandwagon (even if I have to ride in the back), and will endeavor not to lodge a single complaint through the next offseason.

Comments are appreciated, and hopefully most will be kind. I’m not endeavoring to start another flame war, or divisive battle. We’ve had enough of those.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 03:47 PM
Takes a big man...

(and an even bigger one to sticky it)

GrnBay007
12-01-2007, 03:50 PM
FIRE TED THOMPSON!!!!

hehe :twisted:

j/k

Nice Retail!!

mraynrand
12-01-2007, 03:55 PM
I'm a bit confused. Your article pretty much says that you're consistently wrong and will continue to be wrong. Why then should we attach value to anything in the article ?

retailguy
12-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm a bit confused. Your article pretty much says that you're consistently wrong and will continue to be wrong. Why then should we attach value to anything in the article ?

There is a cynic in every crowd. Thanks Greenday... :wink:

You can carry the banner for a while. I'm tired of being a cynic... Taking a break.

MJZiggy
12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Does this mean we have our kool-aid rat back?

retailguy
12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Does this mean we have our kool-aid rat back?

For the masses, I hope so. There will be a few however, that'll never accept it. So, I guess we'll see, won't we? :P

Rastak
12-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Nice post Retail and a damn fine thing to do. 10-2 is pretty damn ass kicking and your post was spot on.

Hats off to Retail......

FritzDontBlitz
12-01-2007, 05:25 PM
HEY KOOLAID!

Welcome back.

mraynrand
12-01-2007, 05:25 PM

You can carry the banner for a while. I'm tired of being a cynic... Taking a break.

How about sarcastic instead of cynical? I was only messin with ya afterall. BTW, who is 'Greenday' - beyond the reference to the 'musical' group.

RashanGary
12-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm glad you came around. It was frustrating dealing with the sarcasm and arrogance of your off season remarks. Still, I'm happy to have you on board the Packer express (I'm no were near the front either. I knock Brett Favre when he has bad games :) :) I'm surely not the blind loyalist and optimist that belongs on the front of this train).

retailguy
12-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Nice post Retail and a damn fine thing to do. 10-2 is pretty damn ass kicking and your post was spot on.

Hats off to Retail......

:oops: He likes me. He really, really likes me. :oops: :P :wink:

retailguy
12-01-2007, 05:49 PM

How about sarcastic instead of cynical? I was only messin with ya afterall. BTW, who is 'Greenday' - beyond the reference to the 'musical' group.

I knew you were messing with me... I was messing with you too... No harm, no foul. We both know Greenday. Whatever Mr. Ayn.... :P :wink:

retailguy
12-01-2007, 06:10 PM
HEY KOOLAID!

Welcome back.

Thank you. Good to be back. That was a damn long dark journey. Hell is not very nice, and is a long damn drive. They have great hot wings there though!

:twisted:

RashanGary
12-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Packers kicking ass, Mike Sherman has a great job. Nothing could be better in the world of RG :) :)

MadtownPacker
12-01-2007, 07:33 PM
Man RG, you're really good at eating cold crow. :lol:

Im just glad they arent 8-4, you might be having a shit fit about now.

oregonpackfan
12-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Hey Retailguy,

We all make mistakes about predictions about W-L records, draft picks, etc. Heck, many of us are still arguing about the merits of drafting Justin Harrell as our #1 draft pick! :)

Yes, maybe all of us need to sit back and contentedly sigh, "10-2, who woulda thunk it?"

Furthermore, Ted Thompson did have a hand in that 10-2 record. I am not saying he had THE deciding hand in the Packers record but that his influence did help the Packers to the strong level they have today.

esoxx
12-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Not necessary.

Bretsky
12-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Good Read

They ain't getting any Mea Culpa from me until TT wins a Super Bowl; that's what gets the GM a free pass.

After we lose in the playoffs this year I'm going to spike TT's coffee with Nodoz every day of the offseason so he can't hibernate during free agency again.

ON, FULL SPEED AHEAD :!: :lol:

Fritz
12-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Wow Retail Guy. I admire you for manning up (no offense to the women but it's the expression that seems to fit. If you do something similar I'll say you "womaned up.").

My respect for you has increased tenfold. And I respected you before.

Bretsky - you are one demanding customer, dude. But I still like ya.

Go Pack!

KYPack
12-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Good post RG.

You've also been right about a lot of stuff, but you had the class to skip over it in your mea culpa.

Ex-Catholic, eh?

retailguy
12-02-2007, 12:16 PM
Good post RG.

You've also been right about a lot of stuff, but you had the class to skip over it in your mea culpa.

Ex-Catholic, eh?

:D

No, not ex-catholic. Ex-Lutheran. Kind of like a Mercury instead of a Ford. Same principle. :wink:

today, it's about what i got wrong. We'll save what I got right for another day. :P

KYPack
12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Good post RG.

Ex-Catholic, eh?

:D

No, not ex-catholic. Ex-Lutheran. Kind of like a Mercury instead of a Ford. Same principle. :wink:

today, it's about what i got wrong. We'll save what I got right for another day. :P

Well, Lutherans have some of the guilt. Not like the brand those Priest's and Nuns injected into us, but you got the principles down.

GrnBay007
12-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Not like the brand those Priest's and Nuns injected into us, but you got the principles down.

You were probably a good little boy and never got the famous ear pull. lol :wink:

Carolina_Packer
12-02-2007, 02:35 PM
You're obviously a passionate fan. That's good, and I appreciate that. I never get too hung up one way or another about opinions or predictions. And I never play gotcha with people who are bold about their opinions. This forum is for fun and to meet nice people, and it's worked out that way for me so far. Even when people "go after each other", it's still (mostly) in good fun. It would be a boring forum if we all agreed, especially on the team's decision makers.

I don't necessarily need to like the people who run a team I pull for, but want to respect and understand their methods. I respect both TT and MM. They were put there to do a particular job and they are doing it with success. It's easy to play gotcha with each decision made, but it's not fair. They do a hard job, and one where decisions are scrutinized to the max. TT may not give warm fuzzies, but his boring, sometimes milquetoast demeanor is his poker face. I'm convinced. He won't always make the right choice, but he knows what he's doing.

Badgerinmaine
12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
This is one of those times it's not so bad to be wrong, right? Good, candid post.

Cheesehead Craig
12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Well done sir.

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Bumping for Partial.

Partial
12-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Here we go, now it is working. RG, good thread. Not sure how I missed it all this time.

BF4MVP
12-08-2007, 04:29 PM
Very nice post. I hadn't gotten to read it when it was first written. 8-)

Tony Oday
12-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I am insulted by this post!!!!! I predicted this season!!!! Oh well I was under saying 10-6 but hey! :)

What do you care if your wrong in the good way :) !

All you have to do to Ted now is :

:worship: :knll:

Rastak
12-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I am insulted by this post!!!!! I predicted this season!!!! Oh well I was under saying 10-6 but hey! :)

What do you care if your wrong in the good way :) !

All you have to do to Ted now is :

:worship: :knll:

Am I the only one leaning toward McCarthy as the big reason for the Packers resurgence? Not that TT doesn't deserve praise also. Seems to me McCarthy should be getting most of the accolades.

BF4MVP
12-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Am I the only one leaning toward McCarthy as the big reason for the Packers resurgence? Not that TT doesn't deserve praise also. Seems to me McCarthy should be getting most of the accolades.
I absolutely agree. McCarthy deserves even more credit than Thompson or even Favre, in my opinion. They all deserve credit though.

Scott Campbell
12-08-2007, 05:59 PM
Nice job RG.

You, like a lot of us, got a little carried away this summer. But there wasn't anything broken that you weren't able to fix with this thread.

The team still has challenges, and Ted will never be perfect. But his moves are working out pretty well for the time being.

Freak Out
12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Bottoms up RG :glug:

Tony Oday
12-08-2007, 06:19 PM
the odd guy out is Rastak Im glad you saw that :) We will get you turned around :)

MJZiggy
12-08-2007, 06:26 PM
I absolutely agree. McCarthy deserves even more credit than Thompson or even Favre, in my opinion. They all deserve credit though.

I think Thompson deserves credit for them being a good team. McCarthy deserves credit for them being a good team long before anyone expected them to be good. He's done an amazing job with these guys.

packinpatland
12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
I may as well jump on the band wagon, altho I don't believe I ever came out and said how much I disliked TT..................and I did (dislike him)
Whatever he's doing is working, from the coach on down. Kudos to TT!

MadtownPacker
12-08-2007, 08:07 PM
You chumps are full of crap!! Giving him props for admitting he was wrong, WTF??? Now is the time to strike while his defenses are down!!

RetailGuy - >> :butt: << - Ted Thompson

:lol:

HarveyWallbangers
12-09-2007, 12:44 AM

Thompson hired McCarthy--and most experts panned the hiring.

BF4MVP
12-09-2007, 01:48 AM

Thompson hired McCarthy--and most experts panned the hiring.
That is true. The most important move that Thompson had to make since being here was hiring a coach, and he hit it out of the park..What a fantastic hire McCarthy has been.

RashanGary
12-09-2007, 08:53 AM
2 years ago this team was 4-12 with a coach that averaged 11 wins per year. The biggest change IMO has been the players, although McCarthy is a fine coach. I'm a big believer in the theory that great players make good coaches look great, not the other way around.

Both contribute, but I think players are more important than coaches. This team could be 9-3 with Sherman. With the 2005 players it wouuld probably be 4-8.

I give much more credit to any GM than I do to any coach. I think the GM is the most important piece to any team, and it's not even close. With that in mind, TT deserves most of the credit for this winning team.