PDA

View Full Version : The Ducks and The Beavs...

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Hey Oregon Guy!

What kind of crazy sh_t do the football-uniform-designers and the nickname-maker-uppers smoke? I got to see the Orgasm State/Orgasm game last night (they kept calling it "the civil war" on the tube), and I have to say the unis on both sides were way beyond ugly. That was the ugliest costuming I have ever, ever seen. The Ducks' uniforms look like something a martian would reject, and the Beav's unis look like hand-me-down junior high school uniforms. Ugh.

And the nicknames? That must be one peaceful state. Ducks. Beavers. Surely there is a smaller college called "The Moose," and maybe another called The Ospreys. Me, I'd name a team the Redwoods or the Sequoias. Then the cheerleaders could chant "We've got wood!"

That's some crazy place you live in, dude. I have to say it made me want to visit.

oregonpackfan
12-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Hey Oregon Guy!

What kind of crazy sh_t do the football-uniform-designers and the nickname-maker-uppers smoke? I got to see the Orgasm State/Orgasm game last night (they kept calling it "the civil war" on the tube), and I have to say the unis on both sides were way beyond ugly. That was the ugliest costuming I have ever, ever seen. The Ducks' uniforms look like something a martian would reject, and the Beav's unis look like hand-me-down junior high school uniforms. Ugh.

And the nicknames? That must be one peaceful state. Ducks. Beavers. Surely there is a smaller college called "The Moose," and maybe another called The Ospreys. Me, I'd name a team the Redwoods or the Sequoias. Then the cheerleaders could chant "We've got wood!"

That's some crazy place you live in, dude. I have to say it made me want to visit.

Fritz,

The uniforms are indeed wild and crazy. The Ducks are alleged to have over 95 uniform combinations!

As far as the Ducks go, they are pretty much the showcase apparal team for Nike, which is based in Beaverton(a suburb of Portland). In addition, Nike's co-founder Phil Knight is an alum of the U. of O. He has donated many millions of dollars to the UO athletic department.

In the past couple of years, Nike has also been designing the uniforms for Oregon State.

The Beaver is the state's official animal. With the wet weather that the western half of Oregon has, the Ducks are an appropriate team mascot for UO. Neither mascot strikes fear into the hearts of their opponents! :lol:

Portland State University(Division I-AA) uses the Vikings for their mascots. Is that fearsome enough for you?

Since moving out here 17+ years ago, I have fallen in love with the geography of the state. It has almost any type of geographical feature you could expect--coastline, mountains, valleys, high desert country, etc.
Whether you wish to hunt, fish, hike, bike, or just plain sight-see, it has many beautiful settings . To top it off, you don't even have wild ducks or beavers attacking you! :)

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:47 AM
I have heard, though, that the wweather can cause depression - is it often gray and rainy there?

I do like what I've heard about Oregon, though. I think I'd like the politics of the place, too.

Fritz
12-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Nike is coming up with some crappy uniform designs. Better send Mcknight back to design school!

oregonpackfan
12-02-2007, 05:51 PM
I have heard, though, that the wweather can cause depression - is it often gray and rainy there?

Some ex-Californians who have moved up here have difficulty with the gray, rainy winters. Madtown would be an emotional basket case up here in the winter! :)

As I write this, it is 48 degrees, rainy, and windy. At least you don't have to shovel rain or install block heaters in your car like when I lived in northern Wisconsin! :D

BallHawk
12-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Is Portland as hippie-ish as it is portrayed?

oregonpackfan
12-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Is Portland as hippie-ish as it is portrayed?

Naw, it is exaggerated. There are a couple of isolated "hippie" neighborhoods in Portland like Hawthorne Ave on the East side and 24th Ave. on the NW side. Mostly, it is an average urban city of about 475,000.

Harlan Huckleby
12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
I love the Beavers. Exciting team, lots of juice. They're a tight bunch that can be counted on to recover a muffed punt and snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat.

Zool
12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
I love the Beavers. Exciting team, lots of juice. They're a tight bunch that can be counted on to recover a muffed punt and snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat.

Cheap, but I still chuckled a bit.