PDA

View Full Version : Abdul Hodge moving to Green Bay Monday

motife
05-14-2006, 10:36 PM
http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/sports/14579479.htm
Packers draft pick Hodge adjusting to NFL life
Associated Press
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - He still wore an Iowa football T-shirt and black-and-gold sweat pants, but the hat sweeping back Abdul Hodge's dreadlocks is a new color - Green Bay Packers green.

As he signed autographs at a cell phone store in Cedar Rapids Saturday there was more green - in fact, most of the stuff Hodge was called upon to sign Saturday was memorabilia from his new team.

It makes sense: Hodge is a Green Bay Packer now, after being selected in the third round of this month's NFL draft. Soon he'll be paid to play, a near lifelong dream of the Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native.

"I'm looking at it like a job," Hodge said Saturday. "This whole time at Iowa, I've been interviewing for a job and I got hired by the Green Bay Packers. It's going to be nice to support myself and my family for a while."

Hodge has already logged his first mini camp as a Packer. He practiced at middle linebacker and in one drill batted down a deep pass from three-time NFL MVP Brett Favre.

"You grow up looking at all these players, the Brett Favres, and then you get to share the same locker room with them. It's a blessing. It's a great feeling," Hodge said. "But at the same time, you can't be awed by the situation. You've got to look at it from a business standpoint.

"I'm about to do what (Favre) is doing. That's to get a job done. I'm going up to do a job. They brought me up there to play football. That's what I'm going to do."

The job will begin in earnest Monday, when Hodge moves to Green Bay.

"We talked about him maybe being a little undersized," said Green Bay linebackers coach Winston Moss. "He's a very, very competitive guy. He made a lot of plays. He's shown some toughness. One thing that stood out with Hodge was the ability to get the ball out. He's an impact tackler."

Hodge said he will start in the middle, but may move outside. First-round pick A.J. Hawk and Nick Barnett probably will start, and Hodge will compete for the third linebacker spot with free agent Ben Taylor and second-year player Brady Poppinga.

Hodge's locker is next to that of Hawk, an Ohio State all-American.

"Anytime you have someone going through their rookie season at the same position, it helps," Hodge said. "It's kind of like at Iowa going through everything with (Chad) Greenway."

Hodge is referring to Chad Greenway, his teammate at linebacker for three seasons at Iowa, and the 17th pick in the first round by the Minnesota Vikings.

Hodge said he expects the culture in Green Bay to be similar to that of Iowa City.

"I think it's slower than Iowa City," Hodge said. "Being in Iowa gave me a heads-up on what it's going to be like in Green Bay."

Tarlam!
05-15-2006, 02:37 AM
Is it just me, or does he sound a l'il disappointed to be a Packer?

MJZiggy
05-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I don't think it's disappointment. I see him looking at it more like if he works for a company that just transferred him to GB. I think once he gets to town and settles in, he'll find out that he's a much bigger celeb and the fans will treat him differently than they would anywhere else.

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2006, 07:27 AM

I don't get that read that from his quotes in this article.

Rastak
05-15-2006, 07:45 AM

Me either.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Hodge is thrilled to be in Green Bay. His brother plays linebacker for the Badgers. His whole family will be consumed by Wisconsin sports. Best spot for a guy like him.

Tarlam!
05-15-2006, 08:49 AM
O.K. I'm glad it was just me, then.

Hey, I just had a rough week at school!

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2006, 08:52 AM

No reason to take it out on poor Abdul "the Butcher" Hodge.

Tarlam!
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Now that's sensitive. I pre-empted my thoughts with "is it just me" and I am "taking it out on poor Abdul".

Must be the new Earthling....How is he BTW?

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Tarlam, you are a pretty spiteful fellow.

MadtownPacker
05-15-2006, 10:56 AM
He aint the Sports Idiot for nuthin! :razz:

jack's smirking revenge
05-15-2006, 10:58 AM

I didn't get a sense of disappointment at all. I got a blue-collar attitude from the article, a man whos mindset is right for a rookie---don't get overwhelmed by the hype (either of the NFL or of you as an NFL player); do your job and focus on doing your job well. If anything, I'm much more excited about seeing Hodge on the field after reading this article.

tyler

AtlPackFan
05-16-2006, 09:45 PM
Hodge said he expects the culture in Green Bay to be similar to that of Iowa City.

"I think it's slower than Iowa City," Hodge said. "Being in Iowa gave me a heads-up on what it's going to be like in Green Bay."

Green Bay slower then Iowa City? When did Iowa City become a mecca of nightlife? :?

I think a little friendly and healthy (for the team) competition could develop between Hawk and Hodge...being from rival Big 10 schools, both linebackers, both drafted this year, one a first round pick - the other a third. I think each may work to prove to the other how good they are and the winner of this type competition would be the Packer D!

Chubbyhubby
05-16-2006, 10:24 PM
I believe Hodge is going to be a steal when the Packers drafted him in round 3. He is round 2 talent IMO. He was the focal point in the Hawkeyes backfield a hard hitting solid tackler for Iowa like AJ was for Ohio State! Our D is going to dominate for the next decade!

Iron Mike
05-16-2006, 11:31 PM

No reason to take it out on poor Abdul "the Butcher" Hodge.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I caught that one!!!

http://www.windsorpennysaver.com/halloffame/images/AbdullahButcher.jpg

mraynrand
05-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Green Bay slower then Iowa City? When did Iowa City become a mecca of nightlife? :?

----

You haven't lived until you experience the Coralville, IA nightlife!

Pack0514
05-17-2006, 09:14 AM
I think a little friendly and healthy (for the team) competition could develop between Hawk and Hodge...being from rival Big 10 schools, both linebackers, both drafted this year, one a first round pick - the other a third. I think each may work to prove to the other how good they are and the winner of this type competition would be the Packer D!

I agree, but hopefully it turns out better than the Ahmad Carroll / Joey Thomas competition.

IMO, it should because Hawk and Hodge seem to be of much higher character than those other two fools...... Although I still do hold out hope for Carroll as a football player.