PDA

View Full Version : Awesome places to go before you die

Partial
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Ready... go!

make a list and provide a reason!

Chubbyhubby
12-03-2007, 12:33 PM
I'll start - Superbowl where the Packers play in. Never been to a superbowl.

Visit the Grand Cayon Never been there.

Visit every state in the Country. Would be cool.

Watch the game where the Patriots finally lose a game! Patriots are WAY overated!

Have Brett Favre win the MVP award instead of Brady Favre has been playing his best football EVER

MJZiggy
12-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Northern California--Yosemite and see the sequoias
Victoria Falls--gorgeous
Rome and Italian wine country--for the sights and the food.

BallHawk
12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Leon's Frozen Custard. :wink:

Rocky Mountains of Colorado.

Banff National Park (Alberta, Canada)- Absolutely stunning

I've always wanted to, once I finish school, backpack across Europe.

Not to sound vague, but visit and travel as many places as you can. Each place has its unique characteristics that you won't find anywhere else.

LL2
12-03-2007, 03:31 PM
I'd like to go to London England, Paris, France, and Italy. for a couple weeks.

I agree with the Grand Canyon. Went there some years ago and it's beautiful. Do not want until you are retired to go there.

oregonpackfan
12-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Mammoth Caves-Kentucky

Glacier National Park-Northwestwern Montana. Plan on visiting at least 4 days and taking a few hikes.

Yellowstone National Park--Plan on taking 4-5 days and try to get off the tourist trails.

Columbia River Gorge between Cascade Locks and Hood River, Oregon. Book a day ride on a Sternwheeler to take in the incredible scenery.

Hike up to Mt. Kahtahden, Maine. It is about 6,000'.It is also the northernmost tip of the infamous Appalachian Trail.

Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C. Learn some history and see some important artifacts of our country.

Mt. St. Helens, Southwestern Washington. See the incredible effects and power of a volcano. At the same time, see the remarkable healing power of nature when she responds to a natural disaster.

Mesa Verde National Park, southwestern Colorado. View how the ancient cliff-dwellers lived for hundreds of years. The Anasazi Indians abondoned them in the twelfth Century. The cliffs and stone houses were so isolated, the white man did not discover them until the mid-1900's.

San Juan Islands--off the coast of Washington. The beauty is overwhelming. The Orca Whales often feed in the waters.

These are some of the sites I recommend.

MJZiggy
12-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Why is the Appalachian Trail infamous?

HarveyWallbangers
12-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Places we want to get to or places we've been?

I've been to 40+ states (but not all the scenic spots in each state), so here is my to see list for the United States:

1) Area northeast of Boston/NYC - Maine, Vermont, etc.
2) Any part of Texas that's not El Paso. I've been to El Paso, but that's it for Texas.
3) Washington D.C.
4) Southern California
5) Grand Canyon

HarveyWallbangers
12-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Mammoth Caves-Kentucky

Glacier National Park-Northwestwern Montana. Plan on visiting at least 4 days and taking a few hikes.

Yellowstone National Park--Plan on taking 4-5 days and try to get off the tourist trails.

Columbia River Gorge between Cascade Locks and Hood River, Oregon. Book a day ride on a Sternwheeler to take in the incredible scenery.

Hike up to Mt. Kahtahden, Maine. It is about 6,000'.It is also the northernmost tip of the infamous Appalachian Trail.

Smithsonian Institute, Washington, D.C. Learn some history and see some important artifacts of our country.

Mt. St. Helens, Southwestern Washington. See the incredible effects and power of a volcano. At the same time, see the remarkable healing power of nature when she responds to a natural disaster.

Mesa Verde National Park, southwestern Colorado. View how the ancient cliff-dwellers lived for hundreds of years. The Anasazi Indians abondoned them in the twelfth Century. The cliffs and stone houses were so isolated, the white man did not discover them until the mid-1900's.

San Juan Islands--off the coast of Washington. The beauty is overwhelming. The Orca Whales often feed in the waters.

These are some of the sites I recommend.

Glacier National Park is awesome and a personal favorite of mine, so are the San Juan Islands. I've been to the Columbia River Gorge, Mt. St. Helen's, and Yellowstone also.

Other recommendations:

1) Charleston, South Carolina--especially on a romantic vacation with your significant other.
2) Oregon/northern California coast.
3) My favorite big cities to visit are NYC, Chicago, and Seattle.
4) British Columbia. Sea to Sky Highway, north out of Vancouver, is very scenic. My parents loved Banff. I want to get there.
5) Other cities that are fun are Las Vegas, Nashville, and New Orleans.

There are other great places, but those are the ones that I've been to multiple times or would like to go to again. Local favorites include North Shore, Minnesota and Badlands, North Dakota.

Freak Out
12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Not in any order

Float the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon. Amazing...and the hiking and whitewater is fantastic.

Denali Park. Peak summer can be kind of crowded...I prefer the fall.

Taj Mahal..simply wonderful...best use of a reflective pool I've ever seen.

Paris and the Louvre. Enough said.

Southern Africa..there is an amazing road route out of Joburg north through Zimbabwe/Mozambique and then Botswana that can be done for very cheap with a guide. See loads of wildlife and environment within South Africa as well.

So many other places I need to go and not enough time...

oregonpackfan
12-03-2007, 06:32 PM

The Appalachian Trail goes over 2,000 miles from Maine to Georgia. As the name suggests, most of the trail is right over the peaks of the Appalachian Mountains.

I have hiked parts of the trail in Maine and Pennsylvania. It has always been a fantasy dream of mine to hike the entire trail. Most "Through-hikers" take about 6 months to hike it.

LL2
12-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Most "Through-hikers" take about 6 months to hike it.

I could use a 6 month hiking vacation! Probably a good way to clear the mind and leave the rat race behind.

MJZiggy
12-03-2007, 06:59 PM

The Appalachian Trail goes over 2,000 miles from Maine to Georgia. As the name suggests, most of the trail is right over the peaks of the Appalachian Mountains.

I have hiked parts of the trail in Maine and Pennsylvania. It has always been a fantasy dream of mine to hike the entire trail. Most "Through-hikers" take about 6 months to hike it.

That tells me why it's famous, but why infamous? I spent a short distance on it (and took a cool picture) in Virginia a few years ago. Ran into a few of the serious hikers at the lodge we stayed at. They mean business.

Charles Woodson
12-03-2007, 09:38 PM
My dream is to go to Greece
Going to Australia and japan sometime next year

KYPack
12-03-2007, 09:38 PM

That tells me why it's famous, but why infamous? I spent a short distance on it (and took a cool picture) in Virginia a few years ago. Ran into a few of the serious hikers at the lodge we stayed at. They mean business.

The Appalachian Trail ain't for the faint of heart. Some of it is in rough territory. People have been robbed, hassled, etc. Most serious hikers go in groups and "pack heavy" if ya know what I mean.

Freak Out
12-03-2007, 09:42 PM
My dream is to go to Greece
Going to Australia and japan sometime next year

Peak season (summer) in Greece can be a nightmare...but if you like to party it can be a blast as well. The place is just loaded with gringos.... But....it's one of those places you really have to go see. Athens of course has some great sights...but some of the Islands groups are what everyone thinks of when they dream of Greece.

Deputy Nutz
12-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Mostly I would like to take a hunting trip to parts of Canada and to Alaska. I would like to take a nice buck, a moose, and maybe a big Brown Bear, but not over a bait bucket. Enjoy the outdoors, climb peeks that very few humans have ever been on top of.

Joemailman
12-04-2007, 10:13 PM
I'd like to take a dump on the 50 yard line at Soldier Field.

oregonpackfan
12-04-2007, 10:18 PM
I'd like to take a dump on the 50 yard line at Soldier Field.

You aren't related to Najah Davenport are you? :)

digitaldean
12-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Before I die, I want to see...

1.) Australia. Outback and Great Barrier Reef. Want to see an Aussie Rules Football game live after hoisting a few pints.

2.) Germany. (preferably during Oktoberfest :wink:) Home of my ancestors. Would like to find out where exactly my relatives originated from. Got part of a family tree done but want to find out more about my earlier ancestry.

3.) Banff / Lake Louise in Alberta. Buddy of mine was there a couple times when he went to the Calgary Stampede. Said scenery totally blew him away. Love the mountains.

4.) Grand Canyon. Natural sites like this and Niagara Falls (Canadian side, especially) leave an indelible impression on me.

5.) tie between Louisiana and Kansas City. Specifically during the Crawfish Festival in May. Nothing like eating Cajun food and dancing to Zydeco music!
For KC, I want to go during the American Royal BBQ. I'm a BBQ fanatic and would love nothing more than to be a judge!!

Been to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls. Though the town itself is a tourist trap, the Spanish cable car and the Maid of the Mist are awesome. The most awesome sight is just standing near the railing of the falls and seeing the immense amount of water heading over the falls.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Gwyneth Paltrow's inner thighs. I always liked her.

If not that, hmmm, this is a little lame, but I would love to explore some of the less populated Hawaiian Islands.

HarveyWallbangers
12-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Banff! My parents love mountains. They've been all over the Rockies, but they said this part of Canada is the most scenic of them all.

http://www.outdoorandphoto.com/Trips/Banff01/BestShot-Banff/Banff-PeytoLake.JPG

http://www.photoseek.com/03CAN-01-11,13-Pan-Banff.jpg

http://www.photoseek.com/03CAN-G0057.jpg

http://www.creativehoneymoonideas.info/images/destinations-banff-moraine.jpg

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/7/lake_moraine_banff_sc0586.jpg

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/1e/13/93/a-view-of-banff-from.jpg

Partial
12-07-2007, 11:11 PM
Those photos are amazing Harv

MadtownPacker
12-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah those are some nice mountains that Trailero Harvey posted up. Going to Canada would be tight.

I would also like to check out the pyramids. I think it's a trip the way these things where put up way, way back.

http://www.dignubia.org/maps/timeline/img/b2600b-pyramids-giza.jpg

Crazy how the ones in Mexico look the same.

http://www.raingod.com/angus/Gallery/Photos/NorthAmerica/Mexico/MexicoDF/images/TeotihuacanSol01.jpg

MJZiggy
12-08-2007, 08:19 AM
Freaky, Harv...I've used that first Banff image you posted in a class I took.

The pyramids would be cool. I didn't see the Mexican ones you posted, Mad, but I did see another set which I'm sure I have pictures of somewhere...they were in the middle of a jungle and extremely cool.

LL2
12-08-2007, 10:20 AM
I went to Cancun a couple times and wanted to visit the Mayan pyramids. Last weekend I watched Apocalypto and wonder if those pyramid are still stained with blood. Those people were wicked!

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 11:21 AM
Partial: GREAT THREAD!!

Rats, before you die, visit Iceland.

Reason: God lives there. I swear!

The island is only 7000 years old, that is really young geographically. You get the feeling, God is still working on Iceland. My visit there in 1993 changed the way I think. Go there.

Second tip would once have been China, but, they've changed the place...

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2007, 11:51 AM
I've heard Iceland is scenic. Through my work I can go there for cheap, but I haven't taken advantage of it yet.

MJZiggy
12-08-2007, 12:00 PM
I call road--errr...air trip!!! To Iceland!!!

Freak Out
12-08-2007, 12:01 PM
PackerRats game at the blue lagoon.