PDA

View Full Version : With Packers, seeing is believing

HarveyWallbangers
12-03-2007, 04:20 PM
I will say that it's obvious that the young interior OL have improved their pass blocking. Otherwise, we would be playing more max protect and not passing with multiple receivers so much.

With Packers, seeing is believing
By TOM OATES, Press Gazette

The operative question regarding the Green Bay Packers has remained the same for three months:

Did anyone see this coming?

Sorry, not even die-hard fans who have given their kids names like Brett and Kabeer could foresee a 10-2 record for the Packers heading into December.

However, it is an interesting exercise to think back to August and compare what you saw then with what you see now.

OK, I'll go first.

THEN: I saw a general manager (Ted Thompson) who was wasting an opportunity by sticking to his guns and building only through the draft.

NOW: I see a general manager who knew what he had but would probably agree that this team arrived a year ahead of schedule.

THEN: I saw a coach (Mike McCarthy) who had won over his locker room but appeared to get outcoached at times in his first season.

NOW: I see a coach who has changed the attitude of the team, altered the way quarterback Brett Favre plays and tailors excellent game plans on a weekly basis (except for the Dallas game).

THEN: I saw a team that looked young and deep after three years of saturation drafting but still had major holes at the skill positions, especially halfback and tight end.

NOW: I see a team that might be the deepest team in the NFL, one through 53, and has found answers ranging from outstanding (tight end Donald Lee and wide receiver Greg Jennings) to intriguing (halfback Ryan Grant) at positions that were suspect.

THEN: I saw a quarterback (Favre) who was in decline physically (except for his arm) and would have to continue to carry the entire burden on offense because he lacked big-play weapons.

NOW: I see a quarterback who has regained his mobility, his enthusiasm and is masterfully using his entire cast of skill players.

THEN: I saw a team that couldn't run the ball at all and had no halfback with enough ability to give you confidence that it ever could.

NOW: I see a team that is running at an acceptable level since Grant took over, though it has yet to show it can run when it absolutely has to.

THEN: I saw a team that badly needed an infusion of Randy Moss to its wide receiver group.

NOW: I see a team that is so deep and versatile at wide receiver that it is getting along just fine without Moss.

THEN: I saw an offensive line that was coming together because the guards had gained so much experience as rookies last year.

NOW: I see an offensive line that hasn't improved a lick, mainly because the young guards have regressed since last year.

THEN: I saw a defense that looked very strong everywhere but safety.

NOW: I see a defense that is very strong everywhere but safety and nickel back.

THEN: I saw special teams that were pitiful the last two seasons and had suspect coaching.

NOW: I see special teams that win more than they lose due largely to an influx of youth and speed.

THEN: I saw an improving but unsure team that looked like it could finish 8-8 or 9-7 but wouldn't challenge Chicago in the NFC North.

NOW: I see a supremely confident team that will win 12 or 13 games after addressing its weaknesses much better than Chicago did.

BF4MVP
12-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I agree with everything except for the wins prediction..13 is fair, but 12 is too low, IMO..That being said, I really don't see this team losing any of the last four games (just look at who they play :shock: )

MJZiggy
12-03-2007, 04:34 PM
NOW: I see a supremely confident team that will win 12 or 13 games after addressing its weaknesses much better than Chicago did.[/quote]

I wonder if that's because Chicago wasn't willing to admit they HAD any weaknesses...

LL2
12-03-2007, 04:46 PM
That article pretty much sums up the then and now for most Packer fans and pundits. Every year we have a team that does the unexpected and GB is that team this year. I think this team has a chance to win the SB in the next 2-3 year, with or without Favre. Who knows, it might be this year!

KYPack
12-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I agree with an article!

The OLine has me talkin to myself, too.

If Juice and Sptz can get it together, we can really be strong going into the playoffs.

If not, we are hurtin'.

FritzDontBlitz
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
NOW: I see a supremely confident team that will win 12 or 13 games after addressing its weaknesses much better than Chicago did.

I wonder if that's because Chicago wasn't willing to admit they HAD any weaknesses...

That would be the reason....