PDA

View Full Version : An Extention for Ted on the Horizon!!

RashanGary
12-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Harlan: We're close to contract extension for Thompson

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Green Bay Packers are close to a contract extension for General Manager Ted Thompson, and there’s a strong chance it could be finished before the season is over.

Team Chairman Bob Harlan said today the deal could get done before Mark Murphy, the Packers’ incoming president and chief executive officer, takes over on Jan. 1.

Murphy was introduced today after the team’s board of directors approved him during a meeting earlier in the day, but Murphy had been aware of Harlan’s desire to extend Thompson’s contract for several weeks and gave it his stamp of approval.

“I think we’re pretty close,” Harlan said. “Ted doesn’t even like to use the word ‘negotiations.’ We’re having conferences between the two of us, and I think we’ll get it done. I think I’ve got a chance (to complete the deal before the season ends), I really do.

“I told Mark that was the process we were in, and he said, ‘I’m fine with that.’”

How Murphy and Thompson get along is one of the foremost issues involved in the transition of power from Harlan.

“I don’t see it being an issue,” Harlan said.

Thompson is in his third year as GM and is under contract through 2009.

Thompson also has begun preliminary discussions with coach Mike McCarthy about a contract extension. The second-year coach is under contract through 2008.

MJZiggy
12-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Good news all around.

RashanGary
12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
I think the GM is the most important person in any football organization (the GM and the scouts together, really).

I believe Ted Thompson gives this team an edge and will help insure we have a lot of success after Favre.

motife
12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Here's Green Bay Wisconsin in 1863, during the Civil War, 144 years ago. Lambeau field is not visible in the drawing here.

http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/artwork/1863_panaramic.jpg

The Shadow
12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
He deserves it.
He has gotten the franchise turned around in record time.

RashanGary
12-03-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm happy for him. He came in and took all of the flack for cleaning up Sherm-head's mess. He deserves every good thing that comes his way.

RashanGary
12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Next drive, they have to go back to running it. The Pats just havn't had an answer and they have to be wearing out a little.

wrong thread, oops.

Scott Campbell
12-03-2007, 10:26 PM
Here's Green Bay Wisconsin in 1863, during the Civil War, 144 years ago. Lambeau field is not visible in the drawing here.

http://www.ci.green-bay.wi.us/artwork/1863_panaramic.jpg

Where'd you go to get a butter burger back then?

packrat
12-03-2007, 11:17 PM
Merlin wants to fire the captain of the steam boat in the 1863 picture for being off course.