PDA

View Full Version : Favre may need off-season surgery

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Green Bay’s trainers expect quarterback Brett Favre, despite his separated left shoulder and banged-up right arm, will be able to start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.

If so, it would continue football’s ironman streak, giving Favre a preposterous 250 straight starts. But Favre knows off-season surgery awaits, should he opt for it.

The legend of Favre is about to grow, along with the number of surgeries he has had and will need.

Favre has already undergone two left ankle surgeries, one of which came after last season. Now he needs surgery on his right ankle, Favre confirmed last week while in Dallas for Thursday night’s game against the Cowboys. Favre has bone spurs in his right ankle that have become increasingly uncomfortable for him this season. He knows he needs the surgery, the question is when.

He plans to put it off until after the season, at the earliest. But it also adds to the Favre legend, with him accomplishing all he has this season with bone spurs in his right ankle and now all the aches he is going to have in his left shoulder and right arm.

mraynrand
12-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Maybe while he's under anesthetic, they can also remove that one large bone chip from his brain - the one that acts up a lot when he's in Texas.

MJZiggy
12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
So, basically MD, what you're saying is everything's normal...

woodbuck27
12-04-2007, 03:00 PM
So he'll be starting as it seems from this report.

Notebook: Favre's Streak Not In Jeopardy

by Mike Spofford, Packers.com

posted 11/30/2007

Quarterback Brett Favre's elbow injury is a muscle issue rather than the same nerve problem he dealt with last year, but it's considered less serious and the team's medical staff does not believe Favre's starting streak is in jeopardy, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said on Friday.

Favre took a helmet hit to his right elbow from blitzing cornerback Nathan Jones in the second quarter of Thursday night's game in Dallas, and it knocked Favre out of the game.

Afterwards, Favre likened the injury to the shot he took to his elbow nerve, or funny bone, last year against New England.

But the diagnosis from the medical staff on Friday was that the injury is to the "belly of the muscle around the elbow," McCarthy said, and it's been classified as an elbow bruise.

As such, it's not considered serious enough to prevent Favre from starting his 250th straight game (270 including playoffs) on Dec. 9 vs. Oakland.

"He was in for treatment today, and we see him playing next week against Oakland," McCarthy said.

Favre also aggravated an old separated shoulder injury to his left (non-throwing) shoulder, but McCarthy said that's even less of a concern.

The only thing that could keep Favre from playing is if McCarthy decides to rest him just to be sure he'll be fully healthy for the stretch run and the playoffs.

McCarthy said that's something the coaching staff could talk about, like they did with cornerback Charles Woodson this week, but it won't be discussed until the team returns to practice next week.

woodbuck27:

Noway to resting Favre. That's NOT going to happen.

That's great he's able to play Vs Oakland to get his personal streak of consecutive starts up to a solid 250.That's just out of sight for a QB! :)

He needs only 450 more passing yards to surpass Dan Marino for that record.

We have the Raiders in Green Bay and then travel to St. Louis. He should do it Vs the Rams but there is a possibility the record will fall Vs. da bears as we travel to Chicago in week 16.

Last game Vs the Lions will give some time to ** Aaron Rodgers.

Hey!

I just saw today that ** we signed QB Craig Nall. So he's back in the Green and Gold and we released S Marviel Underwood.

A lot of us we're hoping for a lot fr. S Marviel Underwood.

That's too bad.

PACKERS FOREVER !

mmmdk
12-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Resting Favre? Rodgers looked good thursday but I'm not sure he can lead Packers to the needed 3-1 record in the last 4 games.

Green Bud Packer
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
If Mac wants to rest Favre, he can rest him during the week. Favre will play.

gbpackfan
12-04-2007, 06:23 PM
FYI - Favre has needed this surgery for about 6 years. I think he had it scheduled last year but then decided against it. Or maybe he got it and now needs it again. Either way, this is par for the course with Brett. Nothing to worry about.

I can't believe all this talk about Favre possibly sitting. He has a bruised elbow and a sore shoulder (non-throwing). That's what some of you think is going to end the iron man streak? Come on. Get real!

Joemailman
12-04-2007, 07:14 PM
I don't think he postponed anything. He had surgery on the left ankle last offseason. Now they're talking about the right ankle. It would be kind of hard to get around if he had surgery on both ankles at the same time.

Jimx29
12-04-2007, 07:27 PM
"off season" indicates there will be another season :)

gbpackfan
12-04-2007, 07:31 PM
I don't think he postponed anything. He had surgery on the left ankle last offseason. Now they're talking about the right ankle. It would be kind of hard to get around if he had surgery on both ankles at the same time.

Yeah, I think you're right. But have you ever heard of a wheelchair? But Favre doesn't seem like the wheelchair type. :P

Joemailman
12-04-2007, 07:34 PM

Unless the Packers win the Super Bowl.

Joemailman
12-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Yeah, I think you're right. But have you ever heard of a wheelchair? But Favre doesn't seem like the wheelchair type. :P

I don't think Deanna would let him bring the tractor in the house.

Jimx29
12-04-2007, 09:46 PM

Unless the Packers win the Super Bowl.Agreed

KYPack
12-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Brett's the ultimate tough guy and a bit of a hamerhead. He delayed that right ankle procedure for 4-5 years. He hates to miss any off-season hunting, fishing or golf.

I'm the same way.

I've been delaying back surgery from some old shit for 3 years!

I'm a coward, ya know.

MJZiggy
12-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Ya know they do put you out for that (or at least give you an epidural).

Joemailman
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Brett's the ultimate tough guy and a bit of a hamerhead. He delayed that right ankle procedure for 4-5 years. He hates to miss any off-season hunting, fishing or golf.

I'm the same way.

I'm a coward, ya know.

Alright, enough with the "Me and Brett have so much in common" crap! :P

KYPack
12-05-2007, 09:37 PM

I'm the same way.

I'm a coward, ya know.

Hey,

We're both carbon life forms,
We both breathe air,
We both did pain killers and lied about it later,
etc., etc.

Partial
12-05-2007, 10:38 PM

I'm the same way.

I'm a coward, ya know.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rastak
12-06-2007, 04:34 AM

I'm the same way.

I'm a coward, ya know.

Not really. I would delay that too unless I absolutely had no choice...

Didn't Lee Roy Selmon retire rather than have surgery back in the day?

LL2
12-06-2007, 01:55 PM

Unless the Packers win the Super Bowl.Agreed

Yeah...why would he come back after a SB win? I wouldn't.