View Full Version : Top 5 Available Free Agents

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2006, 11:12 AM
Five names remaining in picked over free-agent market
May 11, 2006
By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Clark your opinion!

Without the usual June cuts, clubs looking to fix cracks in their rosters must do it with the unrestricted free agents who are out there now. Just a hunch, but I don't think they're going to like what they see.

"It's bad," said one NFC personnel director.

I asked him to produce a list of his five top players, and it took him a couple of hours to respond. So I tried another pro personnel director in the AFC, and the results were worse.

"I can give you two," he said.

Swell. That won't cut it. We need five, and, no, running back Onterrio Smith doesn't make the cut. There's something about suspensions, Whizzinators and a lack of common sense that scares off clubs.

Imagine.

So what's left? Read on. What follows are five of the best free-agent options, and beware: It's neither a buyers' or sellers' market. It's really no market at all.

Ty Law, CB
The New York Jets leased him for a year, and he responded with a league-best 10 interceptions. He also was named to the Pro Bowl for a fifth time. Law believes that makes him a big contract waiting to happen, but, so far, nothing's happened. Seattle, Tennessee and Kansas City are interested, but all have the same complaint: He wants too much money. "The great ones don't come cheap," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said. He's right.
Will Ty Law join Herm Edwards in Kansas City?
It's not that Law can't start. He can. And he will. And he can and will be a useful second cornerback for someone. I know, he doesn't run as he once did, and he's 32. But the man has a knack for finding the ball, with Law leading the Jets in passes defensed. The problem now is what it was a year ago when he shopped his talent: Money. "If the price comes down," said one GM, "he's your man."

Kerry Collins, QB
He started 28 of the last 29 games at Oakland. That's the good news. Now comes the bad: He lost 21 of them. You might be able to live with that if Collins didn't have so much trouble sustaining drives, with 32 interceptions and 20 fumbles in his two seasons at Oakland. OK, so he threw 41 TD passes, too, and once guided a team to the Super Bowl. But that was six years ago, folks. "He makes too many mistakes," said a personnel director. "He's fine if you protect him, but he has problems if he has to move." Collins can help a club looking for a veteran backup, but he'd like to be a starter. That could be a problem. You don't step to the front of the class with a 7-21 resume. There's a reason he's out there, and it's not his age.

Brad Hopkins, T
I know, I know, he says he plans to retire. Gary Zimmerman used to say the same thing, too; then he'd appear in Denver's starting lineup. So find out if Hopkins is serious. He anchored the left-tackle position for the Oilers for 13 years, and he can still pass protect at 35. One scouting director said his play tailed off the past two seasons and complained that he's less durable. OK, it happens.
After 13 seasons with the Titans, Brad Hopkins may be helping a new QB up this fall. But he's experienced, and he knows angles and, most important, he knows the game. One guy said he thought fast, quick pass rushers would give him trouble, but let's find out. I know several clubs that could use a steady tackle to cover their star quarterback's back. Hopkins is reliable, dependable and more than adequate. So find out if he could be a candidate for your next opening on the offensive line.

Kevin Johnson, WR
Once, he was a star receiver for Cleveland, leading the team in receiving for four successive years and producing a career-high 84 catches and nine TDs in 2001. Now the guy can't get a sniff after falling by the wayside in Detroit. One problem is a torn Achilles that ended his season last year. Another is that he's little more than ordinary now, a fourth wide receiver waiting to happen in somebody's offense. "There is nothing special about him," said one scout. "He's OK at everything. He used to be fast, but not any more." Johnson has decent hands. Not great, but adequate. That should count for something. Overcoming that Achilles injury is another matter.

Kendyl Jacox, G
He's versatile, able to play either of the guard positions or center. A four-year starter at left guard with New Orleans, Jacox is a wide-body who can combat huge defensive tackles. He's strong and has decent feet. If there's a knock on him it's that he can get heavy. He's listed as 6-2, 325, but his weight can become an issue. Apparently, so can his height. One scout called him "a bit undersized" because of his height. He has a reputation as an above-average pass blocker, which should make him attractive to someone looking for offensive-line help. "He can start," said a personnel director, "or slide in as the sixth man on a good offensive line. He'll help someone." It could be Green Bay.

jack's smirking revenge
05-15-2006, 11:16 AM
Ick...I'm more excited about our NFLE prospects than any of these guys. Better hope that we don't have any glaring holes and/or major injuries come preseason...

tyler

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2006, 12:12 PM
The Packers were rumored to be interested in Jacox.

RashanGary
05-15-2006, 12:19 PM
jacox sounds like a good stop gap. I just don't know enough about Coston. All we really know is he was bad enough last year to not get activated even once.

I guess if it's Jacox or the nutty Verba I'd have to go with Jacox.

Scott Campbell
05-15-2006, 12:28 PM
It's interesting that Verba was unable to crack that tepid list.

Patler
05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
jacox sounds like a good stop gap. I just don't know enough about Coston. All we really know is he was bad enough last year to not get activated even once.

I would not use the word "bad" in describing why Coston was not active last season. I would say "unprepared". From the time he was drafted, it was written that he has all the talent and ability needed to have a good NFL career, but he would need at least a season to prepare for the calibre of play in the NFL. There was never a suggestion that he would be ready to play last year.

Normally, Coston may have been a candidate for the practice squad. However, I think there was enough interest in him by other teams, and he showed enough potential, that the Packers did not want to risk losing him. Besides, its not like they had to release great talent to keep him!

Tarlam!
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
So, why does Miami give up a trade pick and take offer a huge contract on one loser/bust QB, when it could have had a different loser/bust QB for no pick?

Murphy37
05-15-2006, 12:41 PM
I don't think it would hurt to have Jaccox in for camp. We need to be damn sure this O-line problem get's fixed, and we got the cash to do it. If someone on our roster beats him out, great. We would then have insurance. Bring him in. Bring Verba in too, and they can indian leg wrestle for a roster spot.

Patler
05-15-2006, 02:07 PM
I don't think it would hurt to have Jaccox in for camp. We need to be damn sure this O-line problem get's fixed, and we got the cash to do it. If someone on our roster beats him out, great. We would then have insurance. Bring him in. Bring Verba in too, and they can indian leg wrestle for a roster spot.

Two 320lb. O-linemen indian leg wrestling. Thanks a lot! It's going to take a while to get that picture out of my mind! :roll:

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2006, 03:22 PM
So, why does Miami give up a trade pick and take offer a huge contract on one loser/bust QB, when it could have had a different loser/bust QB for no pick?

Because Collins is on the downside and never had seasons like Culpepper had in Minnesota. There's a huge difference in Culpepper's potential at this point over Collins' potential. Franchise QBs are hard to find. Culpepper could be one. Collins never was or will be one.

Charles Woodson
05-15-2006, 05:38 PM

Because Collins is on the downside and never had seasons like Culpepper had in Minnesota. There's a huge difference in Culpepper's potential at this point over Collins' potential. Franchise QBs are hard to find. Culpepper could be one. Collins never was or will be one.

Wait tarlam, where you talking about daunte or Joey. Cause they did trade a 6th for joey

Joemailman
05-15-2006, 07:06 PM

I guess if it's Jacox or the nutty Verba I'd have to go with Jacox.

I don't think the Packers are in the market for a Guard who has trouble keeping his weight down. They have one now, and that is more than enough.

MadtownPacker
05-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Slim pickings, TT should just stay with the players he drafted. Can't find diamonds if you dont polish coals.

b bulldog
05-15-2006, 09:23 PM
David Boston????

billy_oliver880
05-15-2006, 09:55 PM
David Boston????

He has lost his edge without the juice.

Bretsky
05-15-2006, 10:53 PM
David Boston????

Trade a late rounder for Donte Stallworth; when healthy he'd be a top 3 WR on our team, and I could finally say bye bye to Fergy

Tarlam!
05-16-2006, 02:44 AM
Wait tarlam, where you talking about daunte or Joey. Cause they did trade a 6th for joey

Ja, I was talking about Joey. If I am correct, the team that traded for him needs to honor the contract he signed. It seems to me, based on what Joey has done so far and the fact that he is destined to eventually become 2nd string, he is over priced.

I know Collins has a huge downside, but, the value equation is what is diturbing me...

BooHoo
05-16-2006, 03:30 PM

Joey H. is a loser. Sorry, but it is the plain truth. He will not work well in Miami or in any other town between the North and South poles. I hope I haven't sugar coated anything.