PDA

View Full Version : Question About Favre's Practice Habits

pbmax
12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Saw this from a normally rational poster on another site:

Congratulations to Favre.

I saw one of the blurbs where Favre talks about setting an example via practice and this is a credit to McCarthy. Because if anyone knows Favre’s history, they know that Favre HATES practice. Loathes practice. He drove Holmgren nuts with his need to be dragged onto the practice field on some days. And Favre’s decline in the early aughts was directly correlated to Mike Sherman allowing Favre to spend a good many practices on the sideline under the guise of “saving his arm”. Seriously. They would report in the papers that Favre would sit out practice to rest his arm for the game. This wasn’t an issue so much during the regular season particularly against divisional opponents who Favre knew quite well but it’s no surprise that come playoff time Favre suffered some serious flameouts. Could be a lack of practice time played a role.

McCarthy has Favre on the field just like everyone else. Favre groused but did as he was told. And the combination of young players and success has resulted in Favre stating how much he now he ENJOYS practice. No way do you hear THAT from Favre in 1998 or 2003.

I have not heard this criticism of Favre or Sherman before. I know Favre has been under pitch counts after tendinitis one year and I vaguely recall Favre being given a day off during the week with other vets under Sherman.

I have a better memory that Favre is legendarily opposed to meetings. But has he missed all that much practice?

The Leaper
12-04-2007, 03:28 PM
Favre was also injured several times during the Sherman era where he probably should not have been playing...and that contributing to not practicing a lot either.

It is up to the coach to make practice tolerable. It is a neccessary evil, but a coaching staff needs to know how to keep things light when it is needed. I think McCarthy's plan to make things easier in training camp is paying dividends. Practice shouldn't be a vacation, but it shouldn't be boot camp either. You have to find a happy medium...and McCarthy has seemed to do that.

Green Bud Packer
12-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Saw this from a normally rational poster on another site:

Congratulations to Favre.

I saw one of the blurbs where Favre talks about setting an example via practice and this is a credit to McCarthy. Because if anyone knows Favre’s history, they know that Favre HATES practice. Loathes practice. He drove Holmgren nuts with his need to be dragged onto the practice field on some days. And Favre’s decline in the early aughts was directly correlated to Mike Sherman allowing Favre to spend a good many practices on the sideline under the guise of “saving his arm”. Seriously. They would report in the papers that Favre would sit out practice to rest his arm for the game. This wasn’t an issue so much during the regular season particularly against divisional opponents who Favre knew quite well but it’s no surprise that come playoff time Favre suffered some serious flameouts. Could be a lack of practice time played a role.

McCarthy has Favre on the field just like everyone else. Favre groused but did as he was told. And the combination of young players and success has resulted in Favre stating how much he now he ENJOYS practice. No way do you hear THAT from Favre in 1998 or 2003.

I have not heard this criticism of Favre or Sherman before. I know Favre has been under pitch counts after tendinitis one year and I vaguely recall Favre being given a day off during the week with other vets under Sherman.

I have a better memory that Favre is legendarily opposed to meetings. But has he missed all that much practice?

I've never heard that side of the story before.The poster may be normally rational but this time he does not know what he is talking about.Unless he's refering to the fact that Sherm almost sucked the joy of football out of Brett Favre this guy gets no credit in my book.

KYPack
12-04-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm with ya, PB.

Meetings, no.
Practice, I think Brett is still "the coaches kid" enuff to know that the superstar screwing off at practice will destroy those practices. Over time, you play like you practice. Brett is enuff of a team player not to try to cheat the team by avoiding practice.

It's always possible, I guess, but I doubt it.

HarveyWallbangers
12-04-2007, 10:10 PM
This is bull. Who's the idiot that posted this? Favre didn't miss practice in the Holmgren days--even when he had a hangover. I think Favre said in his book, he only missed one day of practice. I think it was after an all-nighter with country singer Travis Tritt. Sherman gave him days off. I'm sure as you get into your 13th-14th season, you'll take those days off.

mraynrand
12-05-2007, 12:58 AM
I've never heard that side of the story before.The poster may be normally rational but this time he does not know what he is talking about. Unless he's refering to the fact that Sherm almost sucked the joy of football out of Brett Favre this guy gets no credit in my book.

So unless he agrees with your unsubstantiated claim, you're not going to give him credit for his unsubstantiated claim. You looking for mutual assured ignorance?

Pacopete4
12-05-2007, 02:30 AM
mariucci said himself in one of the favre videos that he never missed practice, that he wanted to be out there everyday practice even when he was hurt and he was out there... so i think this comment is complete bullshit since mariucci would know just a tad more about the guy haha

pbmax
12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
paco, that anecdote will be enough to back him up a few paces. I thought I remembered the same story, that he was ALWAYS at practice and did not indulge in typical veteran weekly injuries that were bad enough to keep from practicing but never bad enough to miss a game.

Brohm
12-05-2007, 09:30 AM
Never heard that about Farve. Usually he is the one lobbying to get on/stay on the practice field (from the reports I have read over the years).

Patler
12-05-2007, 09:54 AM
There was an article a few years back, and no I am not going to look for it, that discussed practice snaps for Favre and his backups. They talked to almost every QB on the Packers rosters since Favre arrived. They all said the same thing, it was virtually impossible to even get practice snaps, because Favre wanted them all. One commented that you hoped for his shoe to come untied, or an equipment strap to break, anything just to get a snap here and there.

All I remember is Favre over the years arguing that he HAS to practice to feel right for games. As I recall, at first Favre balked at the days off the Sherman gave him in training camp, but was convinced that age demanded some adjustments.

Doesn't sound like a guy who hates practice to me.

Green Bud Packer
12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
I've never heard that side of the story before.The poster may be normally rational but this time he does not know what he is talking about. Unless he's refering to the fact that Sherm almost sucked the joy of football out of Brett Favre this guy gets no credit in my book.

So unless he agrees with your unsubstantiated claim, you're not going to give him credit for his unsubstantiated claim. You looking for mutual assured ignorance?

When i read quotes from Favre saying he's having fun playing football again it makes me think at one point he wasn't ala the Worm years.

Cleft Crusty
12-05-2007, 11:23 AM

When i read quotes from Favre saying he's having fun playing football again it makes me think at one point he wasn't ala the Worm years.

It makes me think it's more fun to win. It looked to me like they were having a hell of a lot of fun at the end of 2004 until they lost to the Vikings in the playoffs. Was 2005 unfun because of Sherman or because everyone was injured, their O-line sucked, and they weren't winning. BTW, 'Worm years'???