PDA

View Full Version : Vikes could give QB Tarvaris new deal?

packers11
12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Vikes could give QB Tarvaris new deal?

If Tarvaris Jackson continues on pace, it would seem the Vikings could use that $15 million in guaranteed money to sign Tarvaris to a six- or seven-year deal and not have to worry about signing another QB at a high price. The Vikings chose Jackson in the second round of the 2006 draft with the 64th overall pick. If it was a risk, Brad Childress said, "it was a calculated risk. You measure, and you see what you like and what you don't like. And then you've got to surround that guy with good players. A guy can look bad if you don't have a line to protect him. -- Pioneer Press

Tony Oday
12-04-2007, 10:41 PM
ahahhahahahahahahhahahaha......................... .........wow that wasw......................ahahhahahahhaha

are you kiding he is fricken terrible I have no idea what they see in him. Any decent QB can be good with AP and Chester. Those are two starting backs on almost any team. I hope they do though it is a worse signing than Cledius Hunt.

3irty1
12-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I'd like to think Tarvaris Jackson for giving them such a tough decision.

MJZiggy
12-05-2007, 09:24 AM
And to top it off, Childress just insulted his own offensive line. Way to get guys to respect and wanna play for you.

Carolina_Packer
12-05-2007, 09:42 AM
Plus, what is he evaluating? Do you really think it's the line as much as it is TJ's head spinning on a platter with all the stuff he has to process in his brain at a young age? When he has struggled, it's looked like he holds the ball too long and has not yet developed the timer in his brain for how long to hold it as well as a sense of the rush. Also when he has struggled, his accuracy has not been that good. How in the world is that the problem of the O-line?

The Leaper
12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Yikes.

A guy has a few good weeks, and you are ready to commit to him long term? With AP there and a pretty good OL, why not wait until after the season to see what free agent QBs become available before throwing money at Jackson?

It isn't like Jackson is going to be a free agent.

Rastak
12-05-2007, 12:05 PM

If Tarvaris Jackson continues on pace, it would seem the Vikings could use that $15 million in guaranteed money to sign Tarvaris to a six- or seven-year deal and not have to worry about signing another QB at a high price. The Vikings chose Jackson in the second round of the 2006 draft with the 64th overall pick. If it was a risk, Brad Childress said, "it was a calculated risk. You measure, and you see what you like and what you don't like. And then you've got to surround that guy with good players. A guy can look bad if you don't have a line to protect him. -- Pioneer Press

Comon, you guys are normally better than that. ONE newspaper guy makes some wild speculation and you guys start acting like it's fact. Where did ANYONE in the Vikings organization say they re-doing his contract?

mngolf19
12-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Comon, you guys are normally better than that. ONE newspaper guy makes some wild speculation and you guys start acting like it's fact. Where did ANYONE in the Vikings organization say they re-doing his contract?

Not to mention, the Pioneer Press is garbage. I NEVER believe any of the crap they spew. They are not going to re-do his contract as he is still locked up on his rookie one for awhile. Dumb.

MadtownPacker
12-05-2007, 12:29 PM
OK Mister PFT.com :lol:

Zool
12-05-2007, 12:36 PM
Well if they threw a chunk at him as a roster bonus and attached it to this years cap and had his annual at ~$1mil/per, that would be a good move for a starting QB. If he doesnt pan out, they are out that bonus, but it wouldnt kill their cap for the future in the least.

Rastak
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM

Oh,you'll never see me say "look, it's fact!" when I post that stuff from PFT.com.

Anyway, not sure what Jackson has left on his contract but even if he fails down the stretch I'd keep him as a developmental guy for a couple more years.

lod01
12-05-2007, 01:43 PM
It's a good thing they are stupid. Once other teams get enough game film of this hack, he will look like the 2nd coming of......week 2 2007 Tavaris Jackson. :)

The Leaper
12-05-2007, 01:45 PM
I didn't see any fact in there...just a bunch of "coulda, woulda".

I was directing my comments at whoever came up with the crazy idea. I'm pretty sure the Vikings aren't going to sign a very unproven QB...who is still under contract for at least a couple more years...to a new long term deal based on what we've seen so far.

If they did, Ras will need to start thinking about becoming a Packer fan.

mission
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Oh,you'll never see me say "look, it's fact!" when I post that stuff from PFT.com.

Anyway, not sure what Jackson has left on his contract but even if he fails down the stretch I'd keep him as a developmental guy for a couple more years.

He didn't say that either miss ive-been-so sensitive lately. Its like me starting a thread saying I could have sex with beyonce tonight because she was at the studio last night.

could is the key word... thought you retired? Read it on pft... ;)

Rastak
12-05-2007, 02:00 PM

He didn't say that either miss ive-been-so sensitive lately. Its like me starting a thread saying I could have sex with beyonce tonight because she was at the studio last night.

could is the key word... thought you retired? Read it on pft... ;)

Then whats with with the "boy are they stupid" comments if it was just "could is the key word"? Eh? That was my only point which I thought you might pick up on immediately.

KYPack
12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
How has the Kid played, Ras?

I watch the Vikes real seldom and mainly marvel at AP.

Did he show some flashes in a few games, er what?

Rastak
12-05-2007, 07:55 PM
How has the Kid played, Ras?

I watch the Vikes real seldom and mainly marvel at AP.

Did he show some flashes in a few games, er what?

Flashes? Not really, maybe a big arm and some running ability. He's played average the last couple weeks which might be good enough with their running game. The jury is definately out on this guy. But he might put it together, I think the league will know a lot more over the last few games of the season since they seem to have some relevence now. Can he be consistant and can he handle presure.....

Partial
12-05-2007, 11:06 PM
I think he has very good potential.

HarveyWallbangers
12-05-2007, 11:22 PM
I've been throughly unimpressed with him, so far. However, I haven't been able to watch any of the Vikings last three games. Maybe he's made a sudden turnaround. I'd assume that he's just taking advantage of some extremely favorable matchups based on the Vikings running success. They ran for over 200 yards in two of the three games--which makes it extremely easy to play action pass. Against the Giants, Eli handed them a huge lead and he only passed 12 times.

Just looking at the stats, it looks like the first two games of his three game streak were just his normal dink and dunks. He didn't complete a ball over 16 yards against Oakland. Against the Giants, he only threw it 12 times. One was a 60 yard completion on the first play of the game (surprise?), the rest of his 9 completions went for 69 yards. His stats were impressive against Detroit, but Detroit might have the worst pass defense in the NFL right now. Favre completed 20 in a row against them, and he's not the only one having success against their wretched secondary and LBs who can't cover.

Tony Oday
12-05-2007, 11:34 PM
F stats F anything else. If you put Vinny Tesdaverde on the Vikes he would be a star with that line AND running game. That running game with the Pack would mean Super Bowl EASY. I will keep my assertation that the Pack plus the Vikes would always make a GREAT team :) hehe

Think about it we are always great in a way the Vikes suck and the Vikes are always great at what we suck. Lets bury the hatchet move the queens to the Bay and combined teams! :)

Then atleast we get Ras as a fan!

Jimx29
12-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing wrex and jackson as starters in our division next year :wink:

Rastak
12-06-2007, 04:31 AM
I've been throughly unimpressed with him, so far. However, I haven't been able to watch any of the Vikings last three games. Maybe he's made a sudden turnaround. I'd assume that he's just taking advantage of some extremely favorable matchups based on the Vikings running success. They ran for over 200 yards in two of the three games--which makes it extremely easy to play action pass. Against the Giants, Eli handed them a huge lead and he only passed 12 times.

Just looking at the stats, it looks like the first two games of his three game streak were just his normal dink and dunks. He didn't complete a ball over 16 yards against Oakland. Against the Giants, he only threw it 12 times. One was a 60 yard completion on the first play of the game (surprise?), the rest of his 9 completions went for 69 yards. His stats were impressive against Detroit, but Detroit might have the worst pass defense in the NFL right now. Favre completed 20 in a row against them, and he's not the only one having success against their wretched secondary and LBs who can't cover.

You aren't too far off there Harv. He looked off the safety on the long throw to Rice I think you were talking about which was good but overall he's been just so-so during the winning streak. Let's just say I haven't seen a single "wow" throw like I'd seen Favre do several times in the 3 or 4 Packer games I've seen this year.

Partial
12-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Didn't they go in thinking he'd be a several year developmental player. Physically, he seems off the charts. I thought coming from Alabama State or wherever he is from, they planned on it being a few years before he was the starter.

Rastak
12-06-2007, 06:27 AM
Didn't they go in thinking he'd be a several year developmental player. Physically, he seems off the charts. I thought coming from Alabama State or wherever he is from, they planned on it being a few years before he was the starter.

Not off the charts but if that were all you needed he'd be somewhere in the top ten. Unfortunately there's more to it then just that.

This was a developmental year for him and he is improving. Just not sure where the ceiling is. He was god awful early in the year. As bad as anyone I've seen. Early season grade = F- Last 3 games = C

I like the trend at least.