PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bear

HarveyWallbangers
04-01-2006, 11:53 PM
Packers' lack of moves keep Favre unhappy
John Czarnecki / FOXSports.com

Does Brett Favre really believe Ted Thompson is going to alter his approach?

Does he think waiting another day or another month to make a decision on his future means the Green Bay Packers are going to sign enough free agents to make him happy?

Favre should smell the coffee.

Thompson, now in his second season as general manager of the Packers, believes in rebuilding the Packers via the draft. Plus, Green Bay's roster is a shell of its glory seasons in the 1990s.

"For the last few seasons, we've still been working off Ron Wolf's old roster," one Packer executive told me this week. "Ted's style is very deliberate. He wants to build by drafting solid players."

Favre said he wouldn't tell the Packers this weekend whether or not he plans to play in his 15th season. He wants to see if Thompson can put together a competitive team to his liking. Thompson hasn't made a big splash, and he won't.

For the past month, Favre has been watching the transaction wires, and the Packers have passed on such top receivers as Terrell Owens, David Givens, Antwaan Randle El, Nate Burleson, Eric Moulds and Joe Jurevicius. Any of those players would have helped the Packers.

Green Bay needs a versatile running back, considering the injuries to Ahman Green, but they had no interest in one of the NFL's very best, Edgerrin James. The lowly Arizona Cardinals paid James, and now they are rated as possibly the second-best team in the NFC West next to the Seattle Seahawks.

Green Bay had the salary-cap space to sign James and even T.O. or Givens. And surely Moulds was worth a mid-round draft choice. They could have made all of those moves and still had money left over under the $102 million salary cap.

But that is not how Thompson does business. He is not going to spend freely in free agency. In fact, he isn't even prepared to make injured receiver Javon Walker happy. Walker wants a new contract or wants to be traded. Neither will happen, though Walker is Favre's favorite target when healthy. Who knows if Walker will even show for training camp?

The difference between Thompson and Wolf is that the latter utilized the draft, as well as trades and free agency. The Packers of the 1990s, who won one and lost one Super Bowl, were centered around two bold Wolf moves: trading for Favre and signing Philadelphia's Reggie White to the richest free-agency contract at the time.

Wolf also signed such productive free agents as tight end Keith Jackson, defensive end Sean Jones, receiver Andre Rison, receiver Don Beebe, returner Desmond Howard, defensive end Santana Dotson and kicker Ryan Longwell.

Favre, like a lot of Green Bay fans, longs for the good, ol' days. Well, with Thompson, the good, ol' days are a couple seasons away.

If Favre wants to continue playing, he must realize that the Packers are looking toward the future, not this season.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Thompson is using the draft as an excuse for the inability to sign any marquee free agent. You dont dismantle a team with a TOP 3 offense and a team that won its divison for the third consecutive year. You dismantle a team only if it has gone through years of playoff doughts, or only after your franchise player retires (in this case Brett Favre; see Jordan and the bulls).

Thompson shouldve upgraded the Pack last year. He did not. He fucked up. Now hes using the draft to try to conceal the truth, and the truth is he fucked up the Packers.

FavreChild
04-02-2006, 12:20 AM
Favre doesn't have to "realize" nothin'!

Say your boss comes to you - a loyal employee who has stuck with the company through some ups and downs - and your boss breaks the news that the company is "looking toward the future." You're not being let go, but basically, you're just an artifact that's gonna hang around for another year with not much say in the company direction.

Yeah, I'd be a motivated employee...

FavreChild
04-02-2006, 12:23 AM
You know what...I can easily understand how folks are frustrated with the uncertainty in the Favre situation.

But there's no way in blue hell I'd ever put my boss/company before me and my own family. So I have to wonder how it's fair to criticize Favre...?

Or why he's accused of not "being a TEAM PLAYER," when the very thing that he's asking for is...AN IMPROVED TEAM???

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 12:29 AM
When Michael Jordan came out of his 1st retirment and the Bulls lost in the follwing playoffs, did they dementle their team and rebuild? Fuck no!!! They upgrade by signings Dennis Rodman and other key players. The result: 3 stright championship rings, the best regular single season record in NBA history at 72-10, followed.

Jordan and Favre. Franshise players on their respective teams. Still on top of their game. The good GM does not rebuild. The good GM upgrades his team around his still-shinning star. Ted Thompson fvcked up.

Patler
04-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Thompson is using the draft as an excuse for the inability to sign any marquee free agent. You dont dismantle a team with a TOP 3 offense and a team that won its divison for the third consecutive year. You dismantle a team only if it has gone through years of playoff doughts, or only after your franchise player retires (in this case Brett Favre; see Jordan and the bulls).

Thompson shouldve upgraded the Pack last year. He did not. He fucked up. Now hes using the draft to try to conceal the truth, and the truth is he fucked up the Packers.

I'm sorry, but is this kind of language the norm on here? I do have a young boy that I thought might enjoy this site. I'm not so foolish as to think he hasn't heard these words before, or maybe even used them around his friends, but I also want him to realize it is not proper to speak or write that way in public. If this is what I should expect on here, I won't tell him about the site. I want him to learn to express himself in better ways.

Just asking, not complaining!

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry, but is this kind of language the norm on here? I do have a young boy that I thought might enjoy this site. I'm not so foolish as to think he hasn't heard these words before, or maybe even used them around his friends, but I also want him to realize it is not proper to speak or write that way in public. If this is what I should expect on here, I won't tell him about the site. I want him to learn to express himself in better ways.

Sorry if you feel offended, and i will try to keep my language civil from now on, but I think Mad Town Packer and others told me i should just be myself on this forum. From that other site that we used to hang, they all know what im like when it comes to Thompson.

Regardless, i will try to keep my cussing in check hanceforthon.

:D

Patler
04-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Sorry if you feel offended, and i will try to keep my language civil from now on, but I think Mad Town Packer and others told me i should just be myself on this forum. From that other site that we used to hang, they all know what im like when it comes to Thompson.

Regardless, i will try to keep my cussing in check hanceforthon.

:D

Thanks. I'm not offended. Kids are impessionable though, and I am trying to emphasize writing skills with them. Message boards can actually be a good way to do that. They can write and get fairly immediate feedback from others, from which they can determine if their opinion was well-expressed and understood by others. Before turning my kids loose on a site, I need to know what to expect from it. Thats why I'm here.

People have referred to "the other site" a few times, and I must confess I'm not sure what everyone is talking about. I was referred to this site address on a social blog site that by shear happenstance had a bunch of Packer fans on last evening. One of them mentioned this site.

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2006, 12:54 AM

I wouldn't tell him about this site. Anything goes here--as long as you aren't doing something harmful. Most posters that moved over here from JSO, liked JSO because it didn't moderate posts--unlike PackerChatters (which will ban you at the first hint of an insult). I'd suggest you have him go to that site.

I wouldn't let my daughter come to this site.

FavreChild
04-02-2006, 01:18 AM
I wouldn't let my daughter come to this site.

Can't promise anything...but perhaps a children's area is an idea worth considering...?

GoPackGo
04-02-2006, 04:07 AM
You know what...I can easily understand how folks are frustrated with the uncertainty in the Favre situation.

But there's no way in blue hell I'd ever put my boss/company before me and my own family. So I have to wonder how it's fair to criticize Favre...?

Or why he's accused of not "being a TEAM PLAYER," when the very thing that he's asking for is...AN IMPROVED TEAM???

Exactly, Its rare in 2006 to bitch about anything other than a new contract

GoPackGo
04-02-2006, 04:07 AM
twice is nice

Iron Mike
04-03-2011, 06:18 PM
http://assets.head-fi.org/3/3a/3a65ce4a_bump1.jpg

It's kind of like ripping off a scab, isn't it?

Lurker64
04-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I can't believe Thompson refused to sign David Givens... how could he be such a fool? Eric Moulds and Terrell Owens are basically running out of fingers for all those championship rings, aren't they?

easy cheesy
04-03-2011, 06:25 PM
http://assets.head-fi.org/3/3a/3a65ce4a_bump1.jpg

It's kind of like ripping off a scab, isn't it?

SCAB??? Such language.... do not make me conjure up Karl Mecklenburg....