PDA

View Full Version : Lori Nickle: Ted Thompson, GM Seatle Seahawks

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Here's what Nickle has to say in her recent article:

"Manuel was placed on waivers before the 2004 season and Thompson, in his final year as general manager with Seattle, snapped up Manuel right away."

What the fuck? If Thompson the GM is so good, as many of you are fond of saying (Thompson not Holmgren built last year's SB team) why did Seattle let Bob Harlan have him?

Was Thompson even GM in Seattle?

Is Thompson is responsible for 4-12?

What the fuck?

Guiness
05-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Lori Nickle???

Isn't that the name of the girl who started the thread on JSO looking for her long lost friend Torrence Marshall? I could swear it was.

Sorry Tank. First reply, already off-topic. Thread crapping at its best.

jack's smirking revenge
05-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Lori Nickle???

Isn't that the name of the girl who started the thread on JSO looking for her long lost friend Torrence Marshall? I could swear it was.

Sorry Tank. First reply, already off-topic. Thread crapping at its best.

I think that was Loralee or something like that. Maybe we should do a six degrees of Torrance Marshall, see if we can figure out where he is now.

tyler

Tarlam!
05-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Loribee wasn't it?

Oh, Tank, you are off my christmas list. Your rants are just pathetic of late. Not even remotely funny anymore.*yawn*, I wish you'd move on to a new victim. I've read your TT hate mail just one too many times.

The Leaper
05-15-2006, 01:14 PM
The Thompson rants are becoming as sleep inducing as a Coldplay album.

Guiness
05-15-2006, 01:16 PM
The Thompson rants are becoming as sleep inducing as a Coldplay album.

Coldplay? Who are they? :lol:

Loribee. I think that was it. Just seeing Lori jogged my memory that it was close.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Folks,

The point of this thread is that Seattle did not give Thompson the GM job because he's a poor talent evaluator and he is incompetent. Remember, Holgmren was demoted ONE season before Sherman, which gave Thompson all the time in the world to win Seattle's GM job.

The fact that the Seahawks did not give it to him shows that Thompson is incompetent, inconsistent, inactive, incapable and a Polar Bear. The fact that Arturo Freeman was signed instead of just restructuring Sharper's contract; that fact that Klemm was signed instead of just resigning Wahle; the fact that Thompson had $35 M and he can only sign ONE pro bowl caliber player, shows what a shitting GM Thompson is.

Oh wait, I forgot one more thing amongst many others too: 4-12.

Murphy37
05-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I got no problem with Tank's opinion of TT. I got no problem with TT supporters opinions either. My own opinion is, That TT get's at least 3 yrs to do something with this team. If he succeeds, great. Then I think Tank should have to post a video of himself dancing a jig naked with the words "I love TT on his ass. If TT fails miserably, then someone who opposed Tank, should have to do the same naked Irish jig with the words "Tank was right" on their ass. This would spice up this tired debate. I'm gonna dance naked now just for kicks.

MJZiggy
05-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Tank, please figure out the facts before you rant. The Seahawks wanted Thompson but he got hired by the Packers before they could make their move. NOW PAY UP! And this time read the stupid article I post because most of these clips are from the same articles I've already quoted you. See JSOnline archives for the article.

Early Wednesday afternoon, after returning from a meeting in New York, Harlan met coach and general manager Mike Sherman in his office and informed him that he was splitting the duties. A few hours later, Harlan offered the general manager's position to Thompson, the Seattle Seahawks' vice president of football operations and the only man Harlan sought for the position.

Had Thompson turned him down, Harlan had no ready alternative to fill the GM spot and would have had to conduct a long search. But early Friday morning, after about nine hours of negotiations between lawyers for both parties, Thompson agreed to a five-year deal to become the team's 10th general manager.

Wolf brought Thompson into the scouting business in 1992 with the Packers and kept him under his watchful eye until Thompson left to run his own scouting department in 2000 in Seattle.

Four years ago, Wolf had a chance to recommend Thompson as his replacement, but Thompson was in Seattle and Harlan wanted to capture some of the life Sherman injected into the team after his first season as head coach. Harlan wanted to bring back a far more experienced personnel evaluator.

"I think Ted's matured a great deal in the last five years," Harlan said. "I think he's put together the scouting staff in Seattle, run the drafts, and I think he's become a much more efficient personnel guy in the last five years. He's grown in these 13 years. His career has progressed, and I think he's one of the better personnel people in the league.

Said Wolf: "That's a great hire. He's the right man for the job."

Though he didn't have total control in Seattle, Thompson oversaw five drafts that included seven players who earned all-rookie, all-pro or Pro Bowl honors. Of the 47 players the Seahawks drafted in his tenure, 31 remain on the roster.

The Seahawks are 41-39 in the five regular seasons Thompson has been running the draft and finished 9-8 this season after a first-round playoff loss.

Owner Paul Allen fired Bob Whitsitt, the team's president of football operations, last month, saying he wanted to bring in someone with a deep football background. Seahawks vice president Ted Thompson was hired to be Green Bay's general manager that same day. Whitsitt had hired Ferguson.

Harlan would have to get permission from the Seahawks to interview Thompson, but as long as Harlan offers Thompson full authority over the football operation - including the ability to hire and fire the head coach - the Seahawks can't prevent him from interviewing or taking the job.

Whitsitt has been with the Seahawks since 2003, when he stepped down as president of the Portland Trail Blazers NBA team. Both the Blazers and the Seahawks are owned by Paul Allen.

The team will look outside the organization for Whitsitt's successor, but there is some urgency, especially now that Thomson is departing to the Packers.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2006, 02:30 PM
MJ,

Look at the DATE of the article and you'll see that when Thompson was hired in Green Bay last year, a year had gone by since Holmgren was demoted in Seattle. Therefore, if Thompson makes a great GM, the Seattle opening would have been his and not Whitsitt.

If anything, your article supports my argument: The very fact that Thompson lost the GM job to some basketball grue THE YEAR HOLMGREN WAS DEMOTED shows that he's not GM caliber. The fact that Pack went 4-12 last year further support that point.

Tarlam!
05-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I got no problem with Tank's opinion of TT.

Neither do most of us, I think. It's just wearing out its freshness.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2006, 02:38 PM
"The Seahawks are 41-39 in the five regular seasons Thompson has been running the draft and finished 9-8 this season after a first-round playoff loss."

Holy moly! Thompson was a genius for helping compose a .513 winning percentage in Seattle. All the while Mike Sherman only had a .667 winning percentage.

If things are written through this logic, then I am smarter than Einstein.

The Leaper
05-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Holy moly! Thompson was a genius for helping compose a .513 winning percentage in Seattle. All the while Mike Sherman only had a .667 winning percentage.

You have to look at what both had to start with for an accurate representation. Both guys went to work for teams coming off a .500 season the year before...but Green Bay's roster still was full of talent from the Super Bowl years a few years prior. Prior to the Holmgren/Thompson team in Seattle, the last winning season was 1990, and last playoff appearance was 1988.

In that respect, Thompson had far more work to do to build a roster capable of winning in the NFL. Sherman's roster was already built to win in 1999...he was in a position to add a few players to get over the hump, but he never could add those players and the team began to show decline in 2004 as starters aged and no young talent was available in reserve. That is why Sherman is a failed GM.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2006, 03:02 PM

You have to look at what both had to start with for an accurate representation. Both guys went to work for teams coming off a .500 season the year before...but Green Bay's roster still was full of talent from the Super Bowl years a few years prior. Prior to the Holmgren/Thompson team in Seattle, the last winning season was 1990, and last playoff appearance was 1988.

In that respect, Thompson had far more work to do to build a roster capable of winning in the NFL. Sherman's roster was already built to win in 1999...he was in a position to add a few players to get over the hump, but he never could add those players and the team began to show decline in 2004 as starters aged and no young talent was available in reserve. That is why Sherman is a failed GM.

Post this in another thread. Read it.

The roster sherman gave Thompson wasnt any different from the one Wolf gave Sherman, except for a few upgrades along the way by Sherman. Wolf left Sherman with a solid offense (but mediocre WR crop) and mediocre defense. Sherman upgraded the offense with the drafting of Walker and added depth with Nall and Davenport; the unit became top 3; Sherman was also instrumental in resigning Tausher and Clifton WITH LESS THAN $7.5 M AND WAY WAY WAY WAY LESS THAN THE $35 M THE POLAR BEAR HAS THIS YEAR.

If Sherman can compose a .667 winning percentage, shouldnt Thompson be able to do so too? Who dismantled the offense? Who failed to upgrade the defense? Who went 4-12?

Last year, Sherman wouldve upgraded the defense. Or he wouldve this year with $35 M

The Polar Bear had the money to resign Wahle but he wanted to fuck Klemm. The Polar Bear had the opportunity to draft Logan Mankins but he wanted to fuck Whitticker instead. Walker just wanted to talk about an extension; the Polar Bear hides in his cave and then trade Walker for a 2nd rounder. The Polar Bear has more money this year than Sherman had in 3 years COMBINED, and yet he remains idle when the defense is in need of an upgrade, as well as the dismantled offense.

Whereas Sherman sought to upgrade the Packers, Thompson seeks to downgrade the team. No GM in his right mind would dismantle a playoffs team.

Unless the GM is Ted Thompson. O wait, thompson was never competent.

MJZiggy
05-15-2006, 03:19 PM
Youi're just not worth it any more, Tank. Talk to me once you've paid your debt.

KYPack
05-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Well Tank,

It's a consensus.

Everyone thinks you are a fool.

Keep posting your broken record posts.

But nobody is listening.

Post when you get a clue.

Love,

KY

Scott Campbell
05-15-2006, 06:13 PM

We haven't seen any brain activity in Einstein since 1955, so I suppose you're right. Barely.

FritzDontBlitz
05-15-2006, 11:37 PM

We haven't seen any brain activity in Einstein since 1955, so I suppose you're right. Barely.

how about "anti-polar bear's theory of irrelevantivity?"

billy_oliver880
05-16-2006, 09:22 AM

how about "anti-polar bear's theory of irrelevantivity?"

Clever! :lol: :lol:

pbmax
05-16-2006, 09:25 AM
If anything, your article supports my argument: The very fact that Thompson lost the GM job to some basketball grue(sic) THE YEAR HOLMGREN WAS DEMOTED shows that he's not GM caliber. The fact that Pack went 4-12 last year further support that point.
You suppose that T2 lost the job and was out interviewed by the basketball guy. You are wrong again, Allen didn't hire a GM. Whitsitt was hired to oversee the entire operation, business side as well as personnel and coach. I don't think anybody believes we should turn over Harlan's job to Thompson rather than Jones when Bob Harlan retires, but I would rather have T2 than Jones running our draft and FA.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-17-2006, 12:16 PM
If anything, your article supports my argument: The very fact that Thompson lost the GM job to some basketball grue(sic) THE YEAR HOLMGREN WAS DEMOTED shows that he's not GM caliber. The fact that Pack went 4-12 last year further support that point.
You suppose that T2 lost the job and was out interviewed by the basketball guy. You are wrong again, Allen didn't hire a GM. Whitsitt was hired to oversee the entire operation, business side as well as personnel and coach. I don't think anybody believes we should turn over Harlan's job to Thompson rather than Jones when Bob Harlan retires, but I would rather have T2 than Jones running our draft and FA.

So why wasnt Thompson EVER GM of the Seattle Seahawks? One might think, if he is so good, why didnt the Seahawks just hire him and then hire some other guy to run the business operation? (like they did after thompson left)

Again, 1 year passed before Thompson became GM of the Packers. All that time the Seahawks couldve promoted him; they didnt.

The Leaper
05-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I think much of it has to do with Holmgren...he probably wasn't too pleased when the GM role was yanked from him, and he certainly could have given a strong impression that he did not want another "firm" GM in place while he was still coach. Otherwise, he jumps ship...and the promising Seahawks become a doormat again. So, the Seahawks don't hire a specific GM, leaving 2 or 3 people working together on personnel issues...and it is entirely possible this is how the Seahawks wished it to remain for the short term.

Not every NFL team has to conform to a specific structure...so there is no way you can automatically assume that Thompson was passed over because he wasn't viewed as good enough. It is possible...but so is the possibility I raised above. None of us know for sure.