PDA

View Full Version : Vista suxors

SkinBasket
12-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I know that everyone knows it, but now that it's a reality for me, it really annoys the hell out of me. Spending 3 hours organizing my program list while constantly being asked for permission to create, rename, and move program shortcuts is fucking awesome. Elevation prompts = Complete and utter nonsense.

Can't believe the same company responsible for 3.11 is responsible for this functionally inept disaster of an OS. Well, actually, given the progression - or rather the regression - over the years, I guess I can.

And Partial, before you even start, stick Leopard up your ass.

Zool
12-05-2007, 11:26 AM

It can eat the gerbil.

Freak Out
12-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I know that everyone knows it, but now that it's a reality for me, it really annoys the hell out of me. Spending 3 hours organizing my program list while constantly being asked for permission to create, rename, and move program shortcuts is fucking awesome. Elevation prompts = Complete and utter nonsense.

Can't believe the same company responsible for 3.11 is responsible for this functionally inept disaster of an OS. Well, actually, given the progression - or rather the regression - over the years, I guess I can.

:lol:
It was a pain in the ass when I first was working through it but I have it down now. What version are you using and where did you get it? With a new PC I assume. I cannot imagine how fucked up it is on that first boot fighting with all the bloatware that comes with a new PC or laptop.....or the second boot.....usw..
Only clean installs for me so far with an OEM Ultimate version.

Partial
12-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Leopard > all

SkinBasket
12-05-2007, 12:20 PM
It was a pain in the ass when I first was working through it but I have it down now. What version are you using and where did you get it? With a new PC I assume. I cannot imagine how fucked up it is on that first boot fighting with all the bloatware that comes with a new PC or laptop.....or the second boot.....usw..

Yeah, picked up a new notebook last night with Ultimate on it. Finally found the setting for User Access Control or whateverthefrick it's called to eliminate some of the elevation prompts. They sure did their best to make the simplest tasks difficult, if you can even find where they've hidden what you're looking for.

The crapware wasn't too bad on this machine. Everything was confined and easily excised.

Here's the machine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8621707&type=product&id=1193234282708

Partial
12-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Thats actually a pretty good deal on that notebook. Other than the display, I think its pretty solid.

Zool
12-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Not a bad machine at all for $1k.

SkinBasket
12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Not a bad machine at all for $1k.

Minus my $90 voucher via the WI Microsoft settlement to boot.

hoosier
12-05-2007, 02:19 PM
reinstall xp office. mucho mejor.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-05-2007, 04:38 PM

Huh? the same company responsible for ME.

Scariest sentence in american business, when MS says, "we are going to embrace and extend blah blah blah."

Freak Out
12-05-2007, 06:51 PM

Yeah, picked up a new notebook last night with Ultimate on it. Finally found the setting for User Access Control or whateverthefrick it's called to eliminate some of the elevation prompts. They sure did their best to make the simplest tasks difficult, if you can even find where they've hidden what you're looking for.

The crapware wasn't too bad on this machine. Everything was confined and easily excised.

Here's the machine:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8621707&type=product&id=1193234282708

Thats a nice rig for the price man. The screen is nice...I've seen them before and was surprised at that price point. The Blu-Ray is gravy! Did you get any BR movies with it? I saw this a few days ago and was intrigued but never pulled the trigger (good fucking thing too....the last thing I need is another laptop).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115410

Freak Out
12-05-2007, 06:54 PM
The only concern I had after looking at it online and not using it like you were able to do was where the touchpad is located. Looks to be right where I rest my wrist. Hows it work for you? Is is easy to switch on and off?

SkinBasket
12-05-2007, 09:50 PM
The one you have linked at newegg is the previous revision of the same model that bestbuy was selling last week at the same price but w/ 2 free blu rays. We hemmed on that then, but my wife's got a lot of work coming up this month and wanted something more reliable to work on at home, so we went and picked this one up. The mouse pad isn't a problem if you turn off the "gestures" bullshit and the tap while typing options. She was having problems with the cursor jumping around a document with those turned on. Once we changed that, there hasn't been an issue with the pad. The hands rest naturally on either side of the pad and turning those options off eliminated the glancing blows it received from the meaty portion on the thumb. I like how quiet the fucker is.

We've got a PS3 for BR, so it was an advantage to have a drive that can play them if we ever feel the urge. The biggest thing we gave up was the CPU speed, but since it'll only occasionally be pressed to it's limits with Photoshop, that's not a huge issue. The speakers actually are surprisingly decent too.

digitaldean
12-07-2007, 06:36 PM

Leopard > all

If someone goes after my fellow Mac rat, Partial, I got his back.

:duel:

3irty1
12-11-2007, 12:56 AM
I've been using Vista for over a year now and I have grown into it.

I'm not a bells and whistles type of guy so naturally I disabled pretty much every one of the annoying "features" right away.

The new windows never seems like an improvement but Microsoft will always win you over in the end.

Partial
12-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Joel do you have COD4?

3irty1
12-11-2007, 01:06 AM
Joel do you have COD4?

What is that?

Partial
12-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Call of Duty 4. I played it on xbox 360 and its awesome. Don't know if it'll run on my comp, though.

3irty1
12-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Call of Duty 4. I played it on xbox 360 and its awesome. Don't know if it'll run on my comp, though.

Never played it. I've been busy with my Madden franchise. I played as the Vikings and drafted an entirely white team. Then I relocated the franchise to LA and renamed them. I'm one sick son-of-a-bitch.

Jimx29
12-11-2007, 02:21 PM
make sure you get vista SP1 this week:
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9829506-56.html?tag=newsmap

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 04:57 PM
make sure you get vista SP1 this week:
http://www.news.com/8301-13860_3-9829506-56.html?tag=newsmap

I run Vista on one machine that is running great so I wont be loading a RC on it. I'll wait for an official release.

Thanks for the news though.