PDA

View Full Version : First Look at Top Picks

HarveyWallbangers
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
First looks at the NFL's top picks
By Jim Wyatt, Rich Cimini, Tom Silverstein and Kent S - SportingNews

Mario Williams is a myth; his Texans are weeks from their first minicamp of 2006. The Saints' rookies practiced last weekend -- and Reggie Bush tweaked a hammy faster than you can shout, "Trade Deuce!" But four of the most prized young pros in the game have spent quality time on the field with their new teams -- and our NFL correspondents were on hand to see it.

QB Vince Young, Titans. He stood out in the crowd of 33 players at the Titans' rookie orientation, establishing himself as the leader with his actions and outgoing personality. "Even though it was our first day, he was immediately taking control and leading the team," receiver Jonathan Orr said. "I know I was impressed." Outfitted in a red No. 10 jersey, Young showed patience in the pocket and nice touch on some deep balls, although some of his throws were wobbly.

OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Jets. It's hard to grade a lineman in a noncontact camp, but Ferguson displayed quick feet and excellent lateral quickness. He used his long arms to get into the chests of oncoming pass rushers, disrupting their moves and countermoves. Ferguson looked almost gangly -- he's listed at 6-6, 312, which seems inflated -- indicating he might need time to grow into his body.

LB A.J. Hawk, Packers. Hawk lined up on the weak side with the starting defense and showed great speed and determination. He later had the gauntlet dropped at his feet when veteran cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson both fantasized out loud about how much Hawk could help their games.

QB Matt Leinart, Cardinals. He threw tight spirals and had good zip on his passes. His accuracy was decent, but he missed high on several occasions. He was quick to pick up the offense -- at one point, he stepped back from center and corrected a veteran tight end who had not lined up properly.

Tony Oday
05-15-2006, 03:41 PM
QB Matt Leinart, Cardinals. He threw tight spirals and had good zip on his passes. His accuracy was decent, but he missed high on several occasions. He was quick to pick up the offense -- at one point, he stepped back from center and corrected a veteran tight end who had not lined up properly.

ROFL they got him at 10. WTF the football gods love the Cards!!!! NExt thing you will tell me is that the Vikings will stay out of trouble ALL year!!!!!

CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER it would be anarchy.

jack's smirking revenge
05-15-2006, 03:46 PM

ROFL they got him at 10. WTF the football gods love the Cards!!!! NExt thing you will tell me is that the Vikings will stay out of trouble ALL year!!!!!

CATS AND DOGS LIVING TOGETHER it would be anarchy.

The planets are starting to align for the Cards. Talk about a down-on-its-luck team. We think we had it bad for 30 years. The Cards have never done anything of note! They deserve a little success.

They have some offensive weapons, but it won't matter at all if that line isn't improved from last year. Edge is no Barry Sanders and Leinart is no Vick (ie. they could/can both make things happen without a talented line).

tyler

RashanGary
05-15-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm pretty sure Harris and Woodson were talking about how much they helped each other. I never heard anything about A.J. out of either of their mouths.

A.J. just came in, worked hard and didn't do anything spectacular. It's hard for linebackers to stand out without pads.

RashanGary
05-15-2006, 03:48 PM
The Cards have been very poor. They've never been able to use all their cap space because they just didn't have the revenue to back it. With the new revenue sharing, all teams have enough $$ to spend every cent. They are forced to spend most of it. It helps when the playing field is leveled.

Deputy Nutz
05-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Let us also remember that the Cardinals have a brand new stadium that the lovely people of Arizona ponied up for. A new stadium means more demands on a franchise to become successful. Especially when the public has fronted the money.

Anti-Polar Bear
05-15-2006, 04:14 PM
If Thompson gets his way, Pack will soon become the Cardinals. It isnt about money because there's plenty of money to go around in the NFL (thanks to TV contracts and revenue sharing).

It is about your willingness to spend money. If you think Arturo Freeman can help your team instead of Sharper, than you think like Ted Thompson.

RashanGary
05-15-2006, 04:27 PM
Can we agree that there is a salary cap?

If we agree on that then we can go forward and make some deductions.

If we do not agree on that then this discussion has no end.

MadtownPacker
05-15-2006, 08:48 PM
The Cardinals have some nice things going on the offensive side of the ball. Leinhart really landed the best place he could have. Just like Hawk!!

b bulldog
05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
aRIZONA had a great draft and their O could be scarey.

No Mo Moss
05-15-2006, 09:46 PM
Detroit will rue the day they took sims over Leinart.

cosimoto
05-15-2006, 11:06 PM
NNM: Detroit will rue the day they took sims over Leinart.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/cosimoto/SamuraiGB7.jpg If the Lions were any more screwed up they would be as bad as...well, the Lions. Is there a more dysfunctional team in the League? When was the last time the Lions put a quality product on the field? Every team, including the Packers, have their down years, but the Lions are ridiculous. As for the Cardinals, they could be pretty good. But I always feel the the Bidwell ownership will find a way to screw up that team. I'm glad I'm a Packer fan and not a Lion or Cardinal fan. Most years the Washington Generals have a better chance of dominating the Harlem Globetrotters than those two teams have of making a run at a division title.