PDA

View Full Version : Small town Oregon QBs meet as NFL rivals

oregonpackfan
12-06-2007, 10:15 AM
This Sunday, small town Oregon quarterbacks Derek Anderson and Kellen Clemens will meet as NFL rivals when the Cleveland Browns play against the New York Jets. The two QBs have competed against each other at the high school, college, and now, the pro levels.

In 2000, Anderson led his Scappoose High school team to victory against Burns High School led by Kellen Clemens in the state 3A semi-final championship game.

Anderson went on to college to play for Oregon State. Clemens chose to play for the University of Oregon .

As starters for their respective college teams, each has a 1-1 record when the Beavers and Ducks played each other.

Now as pros in the NFL, they will start against each other when the Browns play the Jets.

For you historians out there, can you name any other pair of quarterbacks who have started against each other at the high school, college, and pro levels?

MadtownPacker
12-06-2007, 11:03 AM
That's pretty cool man. So which one are you rooting for Mr Oregon?

packinpatland
12-06-2007, 11:07 AM
There's no way this could have happened before. What would the odds be???

And I'd like to know also..............who you pulling for? :wink:

BallHawk
12-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Logic would suggest he's pulling for the Duck, Clemens.

BF4MVP
12-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Logic would suggest he's pulling for the Duck, Clemens.
I would assume so. I do think the Browns will beat the Jets though.

Tarlam!
12-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Great thread!

OPF, you're cool!

3irty1
12-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Great thread!

OPF, you're cool!

Agreed

oregonpackfan
12-06-2007, 05:14 PM
That's pretty cool man. So which one are you rooting for Mr Oregon?

To be honest with you, I really don't have a favorite.

I do remember seeing Derek Anderson play during his high school senior year. He brought his undefeated team into my town to play our undefeated team. Both schools were ranked in the top 5 in the state for the second highest classification in the state.

Anderson was already 6'5" as a high school senior. Watching him play was like watching a skilled, young, professional athlete play with a group of amateur boys. No matter what type of coverage or blitzes our team used, Anderson literally picked our team apart! He displayed uncanny accuracy with short-range, mid-range, and deep passes.

The score ended up something in the neighborhood of 42-14. I had heard that Anderson was being recruited by Division I schools, which was highly unusual for a small town like Scappoose. He was certainly incredible as a high school player.