PDA

View Full Version : Sam Adams to the Pack.. rumor mill

Pacopete4
12-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Sam Adams cleared waivers unclaimed.

John Clayton's blog says the following.

Adams hunt is on: One team possibly interested in defensive tackle Sam Adams is the Green Bay Packers. The Packers were checking around about Adams after he was released by the Broncos Tuesday. Adams cleared waivers and is a free agent. Because of the season ending injury to defensive tackle Colin Cole and the bad shoulder of Johnny Jolly, Adams could be a big option to help the Packers down the stretch.

Bretsky
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
This would be a good move; he's a run clogger. What is to lose ?

Fred's Slacks
12-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Definately bring him in for a look. Williams is a lot better when he can rest. Another Veteran for Harrell to learn from won't hurt either.

CaptainKickass
12-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Even better than Gravy Jackson!

Sam might be a bit old, but really....

What better place is there than Wisconsin, for this guy to play? I mean he DOES have the same name as a BEER after all!

BallHawk
12-06-2007, 06:17 PM
This would be a good move; he's a run clogger. What is to lose ?

I don't think there is an obvious downside. He's cheap, he stuffs the run, and he gives us a needed body that knows how to play DT (Unlike Harrell)

I'd say it's pretty certain that Adams will become a Packer.

LL2
12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Sure, bring him in for a look. Funny, didn't he turn down an offer from the Pack a few years ago?

The Leaper
12-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Egads...Adams and Pickett in the middle? Good luck running on that.

OS PA
12-06-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm worried that the Packers will lose their Miller endorsements if they sign big ole' Sam Adams...

Not even funny :oops:

The biggest part of winning in the playoffs is stopping the run. Nobody is going to run inside on Sam and Ryan.

]{ilr]3
12-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Why did denver cut him loose? He started 11 games from them this year. He started 16 games for the Bengals last year. Why is he getting passed around so much?

BallHawk
12-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Sure, bring him in for a look. Funny, didn't he turn down an offer from the Pack a few years ago?

Actually, I think we were interested and he refused to be even flown in.

Not positive, but I think that's what happened.

BallHawk
12-06-2007, 06:49 PM
{ilr]3]Why did denver cut him loose? He started 11 games from them this year. He started 16 games for the Bengals last year. Why is he getting passed around so much?

He's been out of shape and he's getting old. It's questionable if he could help us in any way, but it's a low risk move, so why not sign him?

Pacopete4
12-06-2007, 07:30 PM
its kinda like why did grady jackson get cut?.. he was producing, ya ya hes fat, we all know that.. but he produced

MadtownPacker
12-06-2007, 08:11 PM
Damn, almost like his big ass fell out of heaven...

If he is healthy enough this is a move that NEEDS to be made. If he is signed now he will have a few games to get up to speed in the system before the playoffs start. Best replacement for Cole that is gonna be found at this point in the season.

FritzDontBlitz
12-06-2007, 08:15 PM

Actually, I think we were interested and he refused to be even flown in.

Not positive, but I think that's what happened.

He signed somewhere else the day he was supposed to visit Green Bay.

KYPack
12-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Saw him play last year. He's mostly played out but...

He couldn't do what the Bengals (& Bronc's) wanted him to do.

He can only hold the point.

That's about all we need.

Sam is no "teach the young guys your tricks" kinda guy.

He's a surly old bitch.

b bulldog
12-06-2007, 09:37 PM
i think he signed with Baltimore if I remember correctly.

Deputy Nutz
12-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I don't mind it, he can give Pickett a breather, and Pickett needs it more than anyone else, when he plays fresh he can't be moved and makes plays, when he is run down and hurt, he is an average tackle. Harrell and Williams will do all right at the other tackle spot with maybe a little Muir thrown in.

Adams is a win/win situation, if he has gas left in the tank run him out their for 10-15 plays. If he is worn out fat ass, cut him.

Last thought, please no mention of Gilbert Brown, he may think he can still play but that gives no one else the right to think that.

]{ilr]3
12-07-2007, 06:31 AM
i think he signed with Baltimore if I remember correctly.

Depends on what year. The guys been around, but he has been a starter at most of these places, so that says something.

2007 Denver Broncos
2006 Cincinnati Bengals
2005 Buffalo Bills
2004 Buffalo Bills
2003 Buffalo Bills
2002 Oakland Raiders
2001 Baltimore Ravens
2000 Baltimore Ravens
1999 Seattle Seahawks
1998 Seattle Seahawks
1997 Seattle Seahawks
1996 Seattle Seahawks
1995 Seattle Seahawks
1994 Seattle Seahawks

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 10:58 AM
that's a lot of football! He must be shot if Denver released him and he cleared waivers.

the_idle_threat
12-08-2007, 12:56 AM
No question he's a big option. But an effective one? Maybe. Can't hurt to bring him in for a look though.

VegasPackFan
12-08-2007, 02:23 AM
No question he's a big option. But an effective one? Maybe. Can't hurt to bring him in for a look though.

Let's all give him a look. Grab a telescope and look at the moon - I think he's orbiting around it.

the_idle_threat
12-08-2007, 11:10 AM
The medical staff is begging the front office NOT to bring him in for a physical. :lol:

KYPack
12-08-2007, 12:51 PM
Most teams are reluctant to bring in guys like Sam and Gravy Jackson.

Afraid they might die on 'em.

woodbuck27
12-08-2007, 01:49 PM
Interesting but what is up with the facts here?

Did he sign with another team?

It does seem like a logical move for us (given the situations involving Cole and Jolly) and we're going to be in the playoff's.

It would be nice to see TT (at least try) for a decent showing aas we finish our season. To go after this Big Man . Sadly usually gets to the same Ole same Ole.

Our GM Ted Thompson = procrastintion.

Sorry Packer fans that's the way I see it and call it.

A spade's is just a spade .

TT's slow to react. I'm fast to react to that. :)

I'm tring to find time to check further on this as the situation seems dubious at present fr. reading this thread.

PACKERS FOREVER!

Joemailman
12-08-2007, 01:54 PM
You're right Woody. TT was slow to react (or was he just cheap?) when Houston made an offer to Ahman Green. He procrastinated and ended up with Ryan Grant.

woodbuck27
12-08-2007, 02:06 PM
You're right Woody. TT was slow to react (or was he just cheap?) when Houston made an offer to Ahman Green. He procrastinated and ended up with Ryan Grant.

What are we going to do?

Praise a man that always wants to paint himself in a corner.

Yes the move not to sign Ahman Green based on the size of the contract Houston offered and moreso the length of that contract seemed logical.

TT took a shot in round two of the draft and came away with a RB that is at least some time away fr. being productive.That doesn't surprize most here as TT's choice didn't have the flash of an Adrian Peterson or a Marshawn Lynch both proving that they will be huge for their teams playing very well in their Rookie season's

TT, very late before the season started, finally got his nose to the grindstone and traded a 6th for Ryan Grant. At that point anything (any move by TT) looked OK.

In fact time will tell but Ryan Grant may be a decent RB for us so. I give full points to Ted Thompson that logical move.

It was a no brainer!!

The stab I have on Ted Thompson is his inability to react more quickly when the gravity of a situation flash's all the Red Lights.

HE is beyond just SLOW.

He's blatantly so. :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

Joemailman
12-08-2007, 02:21 PM
The medical staff is begging the front office NOT to bring him in for a physical. :lol:

The food caterers, on the other hand, are seeing dollar signs.

Patler
12-08-2007, 03:17 PM

What are we going to do?

Praise a man that always wants to paint himself in a corner.

Yes the move not to sign Ahman Green based on the size of the contract Houston offered and moreso the length of that contract seemed logical.

TT took a shot in round two of the draft and came away with a RB that is at least some time away fr. being productive.That doesn't surprize most here as TT's choice didn't have the flash of an Adrian Peterson or a Marshawn Lynch both proving that they will be huge for their teams playing very well in their Rookie season's

TT, very late before the season started, finally got his nose to the grindstone and traded a 6th for Ryan Grant. At that point anything (any move by TT) looked OK.

In fact time will tell but Ryan Grant may be a decent RB for us so. I give full points to Ted Thompson that logical move.

It was a no brainer!!

The stab I have on Ted Thompson is his inability to react more quickly when the gravity of a situation flash's all the Red Lights.

HE is beyond just SLOW.

He's blatantly so. :)

PACKERS FOREVER!

SO now Ryan Grant was a "no-brainer"? A guy most had never heard of?

You confuse procrastination with proceeding in a logical order and not giving in to panic.

More than once, I read others complain that TT "had no back-up plan" to the loss of Green, mostly because he signed no big name free agent running back. In fact, TT had a multi-level backup plan.

1. He had his holdover backs from 2006, including one they thought capable.
2. He invested a second round pick in a running back.
3. He took a 7th round chance on a back with acknowledged talent but perceived negative attributes.
4. When those didn't pan out due to injuries and performance he resorted to plan #4, and traded for a back he almost tried to get away from NY in '05 or '06. He had Grant targeted for a long time.

Far from "painting himself into a corner" he gave himself multiple paths.

Merlin
12-08-2007, 10:36 PM
that's a lot of football! He must be shot if Denver released him and he cleared waivers.

Denver goes through DLmen like water though. I don't think we can judge the talent of anyone coming from Denver because of the rotating defensive coordinators and their strange but sometimes effective offense. Bates is the "assistant" HC there and Slowik is the DC. Denver's defense sucks but I am sure it isn't Sam Adam's fault.

Harrell already has a slew of veterans to learn from and hasn't done anything to impress anyone accept possibly the doctors and what injury he has now. "Oh he had a tackle! in this game", so what. Even Marquand Manual had tackles, Ahmad Carrol had tackles, big friggin deal. So that argument goes right out the window. All the slamming of Grady Jackson is just pathetic. He played well for us but Pickett was a younger, healthier option. That was an equal exchange my friends for the performance we are getting and even Pickett will need to be replaced in time with a younger version of himself. Keeping Jackson and Pickett would have been a kind of cool to see. Sam Adam's seems to me like a head case and although we normally do well with those, I think we can pass.