PDA

View Full Version : Yet another award for Favre

sepporepi
12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
He received a charity award for granting lots of wishes...

Just look the video:

http://www.packers.com/multimedia/videos/directory/video_20071206__af9c4aee152a__345fc3aa2127/

The girl is the one mentioned in the SI-story posted some days ago.

In September 2004 Favre met with a six-year-old from Neenah, Wis., named Anna Walentowski. She was suffering from Alexander disease, an extremely rare type of the degenerative brain disorder called leukodystrophy, for which there is no known cure. By the time her visit was arranged, Anna was on a feeding tube for 20 hours a day. In the preceding months she had repeatedly been rushed to the hospital with spasms of her upper respiratory system, which made breathing nearly impossible. "It was a dark, dark time in our lives," says Anna's father, Jeff. "Our little girl was deteriorating pretty rapidly."

Anna's parents feared she would not be strong enough to make the trip to the Packers' practice facility, but she rallied for the big day. Favre had recently been banged up, and the first thing the little pixie in a Packers cheerleading outfit said to him was, "How's your thumb?" The two bonded instantly. Anna's mother, Jennifer, remembers Favre giving her daughter hug after hug and gently helping Anna get in and out of her stroller, so the two could play catch with a Nerf football and later eat lunch with the team.

Before saying goodbye, Anna gave Favre a prayer card with her picture on it. Unbeknownst to the Walentowskis, Favre taped it to his refrigerator door that night, and it stayed there for the rest of the season. "Every day we looked at that picture and prayed for Anna and her family," Deanna wrote in her book, Don't Bet Against Me!

In the years since Anna's visit her condition has improved dramatically. This is no doubt due to specialized care made possible by the evolving understanding of leukodystrophy. Anna's parents think the meeting with Favre also has had something to do with it. "That one day they spent together never really ended," says Jennifer. "We would often talk about the visit and look at the photos, and she would be asked all the time to tell the story. It became a big part of her life."

The tale took another turn when Deanna's book was published in September 2007, including the passage about Anna, a girl she knew only from the photo on the fridge and the effect she'd had on her husband. The Walentowskis were unaware of their cameo in the book until a friend called to tell them about it -- and to say that Deanna was in nearby Appleton at that moment for a book signing. The family hustled over to meet Deanna. Now nine, Anna still faces serious medical challenges, but against all odds she has continued to get better. "She looked so good, so happy," says Deanna. "I couldn't wait to go home and tell Brett. We had often wondered about Anna, about how she was doing. When I told Brett, it touched him. He didn't really have any words. He was pretty choked up."

Just a little hint what awaits you in the video.

She seems to do better :P

BallHawk
12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a player in the NFL with a bigger heart than Favre.

The Leaper
12-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a player in the NFL with a bigger heart than Favre.

I bet Grady Jackson has a bigger heart. That is a very large man right there. Those ventricles really have to work to pump the blood through all 53,294 miles of arteries and veins...and that is just what supplies his stomach with essential nutrients.

GBRulz
12-06-2007, 08:31 PM
:roll:

sepp - thanks so much for posting the video link. I don't know how anyone can watch that and not tear up. It's so amazing what not only Brett does, but the entire Packer organization with so many different charities.

HarveyWallbangers
12-06-2007, 09:33 PM
He's crying again. Nah, that was a nice video.

pbmax
12-06-2007, 10:01 PM
OK, this is Wisconsin, there must be PackerRats of Catholic faith on the board. Can we just forward the man's application for sainthood to Benedict now?

Or do we need for Colledge to get him killed first? :D

As Simmons says, its awfully dusty in here.

Jimx29
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Me thinks the award would look better with a "G" rather than a star :?

RashanGary
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
That's hard to watch. As bored as I get from time to time, it is nice having Brett around. He's very good for the community.

Jimx29
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh yea.....suppose we should get a donation up so the Packers can buy a third mic that points out to the press so I can hear WTFF they are asking?

Deputy Nutz
12-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I get emotional often when it comes to things like this, I am blessed to have two healthy children that I wouldn't trade for anything, and to even imagine having to put an application into Make a Wish makes me crumble inside as a parent, but it is an absolute wonderful organization, and when a request is met, it means the world to these kids. For Favre to have met over one hundred kids is an unbelievable contribution to society. He mentioned that it was an easy thing to do, trust me its not, to meet and spend time with these seriously ill children can really pull at your heart strings, it is by no means easy and it is a very tough situation.

My hats off to Favre, as we all know but he is a genuine as they come. Thanks for everything you have done for the people of Wisconsin and around America.

I don't know why I am thanking him on a forum he will never read, but I am caught up in the emotion of it all.

HarveyWallbangers
12-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Well said, Nutz! You do have a heart.
:D

Deputy Nutz
12-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Well said, Nutz! You do have a heart.
:D

Don't go getting mushy on me, the holidays and all are pulling on me.

GBRulz
12-07-2007, 08:18 AM
What happened to the guy I met at the posters game? j/k Nutz...that was very nicely said.

Bretsky
12-07-2007, 08:35 AM
I get emotional often when it comes to things like this, I am blessed to have two healthy children that I wouldn't trade for anything, and to even imagine having to put an application into Make a Wish makes me crumble inside as a parent, but it is an absolute wonderful organization, and when a request is met, it means the world to these kids. For Favre to have met over one hundred kids is an unbelievable contribution to society. He mentioned that it was an easy thing to do, trust me its not, to meet and spend time with these seriously ill children can really pull at your heart strings, it is by no means easy and it is a very tough situation.

My hats off to Favre, as we all know but he is a genuine as they come. Thanks for everything you have done for the people of Wisconsin and around America.

I don't know why I am thanking him on a forum he will never read, but I am caught up in the emotion of it all.

Gosh you sound like a chick; where's the Nutz I know that was sitting with me at 2:00 AM admiring the Asian Herium mauling each other ? :lol:

MJZiggy
12-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Aw let him be. I think the ability for a man to empathize is kind of a sexy quality.

Joemailman
12-07-2007, 09:13 AM
OK, this is Wisconsin, there must be PackerRats of Catholic faith on the board. Can we just forward the man's application for sainthood to Benedict now?

Yes we Catholics require that a person be pushing up daisies before they can reach sainthood. Wouldn't want a bunch of saints walking around telling the bishops what to do. On second thought...

3irty1
12-07-2007, 09:21 AM

We will have to wait until he dies but the good news is that I think in my years of watching Favre I've seen at least two miracles that can count towards canonization.

Deputy Nutz
12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Gosh you sound like a chick; where's the Nutz I know that was sitting with me at 2:00 AM admiring the Asian Herium mauling each other ? :lol:

That was what I call "Kicks" Good times, in fact, next year we should go up to Green Bay just for that. I still have a nice dream about those two asian chicks going up each other's shirts, that was hot. I cried then too.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 10:53 AM
I get emotional often when it comes to things like this, I am blessed to have two healthy children that I wouldn't trade for anything

nonsense, everyone has a price.

MadtownPacker
12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
I think I saw Saint Brett's image in a tortilla.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/miracle.jpg

mraynrand
12-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I get emotional often when it comes to things like this, I am blessed to have two healthy children that I wouldn't trade for anything

nonsense, everyone has a price.

How about for a top 5 draft pick? Or better yet, trade down and get three second round picks. I'd trade my kids for a ham sandwich, but there are no takers - they just look too much like me.

http://uncyclopedia.org/images/thumb/8/83/8_ugly_people.jpg/300px-8_ugly_people.jpg

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 03:48 PM
The first version of this pic had just a faint trace of Favre in it, you had to stare at it a while to make it out. That was funny.

But nobody noticed it, so Mad decided to edit the picture and make Favre more prominent. Unfortunately, not funny now.

You poor suffering Mexican.

I think I saw Saint Brett's image in a tortilla.

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/images/miracle.jpg

woodbuck27
12-07-2007, 05:24 PM
That's hard to watch. As bored as I get from time to time, it is nice having Brett around. He's very good for the community.

Of course JH.

To downplay ' the fact ' that he's a Top Five NFL QB based on his play today; and maybe, even in a lot of Packer fans minds. . .a TOP FIVE NFL QB for all time.

PACKERS FOREVER.