PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Injury Report: Favre, KGB OK

Joemailman
12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Thursday, December 6, 2007
McCarthy: Favre throwing ball well
Brett Favre wasn't asked to make any bullet passes in practice today, but he looked good throwing the ball while taking about 70 percent of his normal workload, coach Mike McCarthy said.

"I think Brett's going to be fine for Sunday," McCarthy said of Favre, who injured his right (throwing) elbow and left shoulder in last week's loss at Dallas. "I'm not taking anything out or limiting anything that I'm asking him to do that I would normally ask him to do."

McCarthy reiterated Craig Nall "probably" will be the Packers' No. 2 quarterback Sunday against Oakland because of Aaron Rodgers' hamstring injury.

"I think he's done a great job with the terminology," McCarthy said of Nall, signed Saturday. "That's his biggest challenge. He has some carryover to the snap count, the mechanics of running the huddle. ... I've been impressed with the timing with his receivers, and the language will be his biggest challenge."

Also from McCarthy ...
* CB Charles Woodson (toe) has "picked up his pace in rehab. He's gone through his normal workouts, as far as what he does on the treadmill and those types of things. So, there's a lot of improvement there." Coaches and trainers will discuss whether Woodson will practice Friday at their morning medical meeting.
* DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (ankle) should be ready to play Sunday. "He's participated the last two days at full strength. He didn't have any problems in his recovery today, so tomorrow morning will be big for him, because we had a full padded practice today, so we'll see how he feels in the morning."
* Though Junius Coston and Jason Spitz appear to be on track to start at guard Sunday, the coaching staff will meet to finalize the decision Friday morning. Coston had pain from a lingering ankle sprain Tuesday but hasn't complained the past two days.

UPDATE: LT Chad Clifton (knee), Gbaja-Biamila, WR Koren Robinson (knee) and RT Mark Tauscher (ankle) were listed as full participants on today's injury report. Only DT Johnny Jolly, who is out with a shoulder injury, and LB Tracy White (ankle) did not practice. Limited were: TE Bubba Franks (knee), Favre, Rodgers and Woodson. For Oakland, DE Derrick Burgess and WR Ronald Curry did not practice (team decision). Four team-decision absentees Wednesday -- C Jeremy Newberry, WR Jerry Porter, DT Warren Sapp and T Barry Sims -- were not listed.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 1:52 PM | 0 Comments
Practice notes: Favre returns in full
Quarterback Brett Favre appears to be a full participant in today's practice, his second since suffering elbow and shoulder injuries last week at Dallas.

With a wrap on his injured right (throwing) elbow, Favre was taking all the snaps with the starting offense during the little more than an hour of practice reporters were allowed to watch. Favre missed Tuesday's practice because of another obligation and was limited Wednesday. He looked fine today, though reporters didn't get to stay for any of the full-speed stuff.

Backup Aaron Rodgers, who injured a hamstring in practice Tuesday, wasn't dressed for practice, leaving Craig Nall as the only other quarterback in uniform.

Cornerback Charles Woodson (toe) wasn't in pads but completed the 30-minute jog-through portion of practice before leaving, presumably to receive treatment.

Also not in pads were: receivers Donald Driver, Koren Robinson and Greg Jennings; cornerback Al Harris, right tackle Mark Tauscher, linebacker Tracy White and tight end Bubba Franks. Tauscher (ankle), White (ankle) and Franks (knee) left after the jog-through; the others usually don't wear pads on Thursdays.

Defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, out indefinitely with a shoulder injury, was the only player absent.

Guard Jason Spitz went to the training room for a while, but he returned with a smile on his face and kept practicing. He and Junius Coston remain on track to start at guard this week.

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

posted by PackersNews.com at 11:52 AM | 0 Comments

I'll be surprised if Woodson plays Sunday. MM is always cautious when bringing guys back from injury. With next week's game being played on turf, I wouldn't be surprised if he holds Woodson out until Dec. 23 against the Bears.

Partial
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
No way does Woodson miss two more games when we're in the playoff hunt and going for a first round bye. He can rest then. Right now, we need him in there. I suspect he plays this week.

RashanGary
12-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I'd be safe with Woodson. If he's close, I'd give him one more week to make sure he's back.

FritzDontBlitz
12-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Why would he deny Woody the opportunity to get at his former team? He needs to be playing anyway, the NFL does not give away playoff spots by default. They need to secure the game. Besides, the younguns need his veteran leadership, so I would play him in a reduced role by subbing a lot to keep him out of harm's way as much as possible...