PDA

View Full Version : JSO: 5-step plan for Packers to get ready for playoffs

motife
12-06-2007, 09:46 PM
5-step plan for Packers to get ready for playoffs
Posted: Dec. 6, 2007

Tom Silverstein

Green Bay - Through the outstanding coaching of Mike McCarthy and the unexpected renaissance of the passing game, the Green Bay Packers have established themselves as the second best team in the National Football Conference and put themselves in position for a long run in the playoffs.

But before anyone starts checking fares to Arizona, the Packers have some housework to do. Their 37-27 loss to the Dallas Cowboys last week showed they are not ready to turn this season completely around.

They have flaws that were exploited by the Cowboys and that must be fixed in the final four weeks of the season so they can go into the playoffs confident they're capable of beating Dallas on the road. None of the final four opponents should scare the Packers, but they will be challenged and will have to play to the level they reached against Minnesota, Detroit and Carolina.

Included in their task of sweeping their final four games is making sure their house is in order.

Here are five ways they can ready themselves for the playoffs.

1. Start Aaron Rouse at safety
It doesn't matter which safety they replace, Rouse deserves a shot to be a starter. It doesn't matter that he's a rookie or missed a significant amount of training camp with a hamstring injury or has played in only eight games.

In his three starts at safety in place of the injured Nick Collins, he showed more play-making ability than either Collins or Atari Bigby have shown all season. Rouse might be slower than Collins and less of a tackler than Bigby, but after the defensive debacle in Dallas, how could he be worse than either of those two?

Go back to the first Minnesota game when Rouse had to fill in for both Collins and Bigby because both went out at separate times with injuries. One of the plays that stands out was Vikings quarterback Kelly Holcomb throwing the ball into the ground because the pass he was about to throw was going to be intercepted. Rouse cut in front of Holcomb's intended target as his arm moved forward and Holcomb had to do all he could to keep from throwing it. McCarthy and his staff had an inkling about Rouse right then and there. Four weeks later he's in the starting lineup in place of an injured Collins.

After a so-so game against Minnesota in which he missed several tackles, Rouse came back against Carolina and made plays on three different passes, intercepting one and nearly intercepting the other two.

Then the next week, he makes the biggest defensive play of the game against Detroit with another interception. Unfortunately for him, he injured his knee late in the game and was ruled out of the Dallas game.

It's a stretch to say Rouse would have made a difference in that game, but his football instincts are so far ahead of Collins' that it's almost a travesty to keep him on the bench. He studies film like he's a starter and rarely loses his cool like Bigby tends to do. Maybe he's not ready to be a starter, but don't the Packers have to find out? They're cheating themselves if they stand pat.

2. Replace Vernand Morency with Brandon Jackson
Morency has done next to nothing all season long. It took him from the first day of training camp until the fourth week of the season to even get on the field. Since then, he has 17 carries for 70 yards and 20 receptions for 127 yards playing as a third-down back. Not since the Chicago game has he had a play of 10 yards or more.

Jackson, meanwhile, shows far better hands and instinct in the passing game, can run it between the tackles and isn't the sieve in pass protection that he was in training camp.

At least the coaches need to see if Jackson can add something to the third-down package in the final weeks. They're not going anywhere with Morency and there's probably a pretty good chance he won't be on the team next year with Ryan Grant, DeShawn Wynn and Jackson returning. Jackson was a second-round pick. It's time to use him.

3. Get Justin Harrell as many snaps as possible
Harrell isn't ready to be a great player. He still has a long way to go to be a good one. But he needs to play a lot in the final four weeks so that he can both develop and take pressure off of Corey Williams, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins.

With the season-ending losses of Colin Cole and Johnny Jolly, the Packers are getting thin upfront. They can get along with their starting four playing all game long because they have the ability to do that. But as the Cowboys game showed, they were not nearly as effective as normal, especially late in the game, which is when they tend to get their sacks. It was a tired group at the end of the Cowboys game and the coaches have to prevent that from happening.

Harrell should be used with both Pickett and Williams so that he can find out what it takes to be a successful NFL player. He and fellow rookie Daniel Muir are going to be counted on in the playoffs and they need to get better in a hurry.

4. Open up the nickel cornerback job
There's nothing wrong with keeping Jarrett Bush as the third corner. But give Tramon Williams and Will Blackmon a legitimate chance to win the job.

Bush has had many failures, but he's had a lot of success, too. He's been the nickel guy almost since camp began and there's a lot to be said for that. But when a guy like Williams comes off the bench and plays the way he did against Detroit, he deserves another look. He was far more physical than anyone thought he could be for a 185-pound corner.

Plus, having a guy on the field with his kind of speed is always an asset. Bush can't run as well as Williams and so he has less chance of making up for his technique errors. Williams showed what an asset he could be when he chased down Avion Cason on a kickoff return. His pass interference call against Dallas was questionable and unlike Bush it didn't involve him panicking and using his arms.

Blackmon is less of an option because he wasn't as reliable in coverage as Bush when he was healthy. But he also is an outstanding athlete and should at least be given a look down the stretch.

5. Figure out a way to blitz A.J. Hawk more effectively
OK, blitzing isn't a big part of defensive coordinator Bob Sanders' scheme. But if you don't use Hawk to rush the passer, you're wasting one of his best talents.

Rushing him up the middle in a combination blitzes with Nick Barnett isn't getting it done. He needs to roam more and get chances to use his speed in space. He needs to get matched up with running backs so that he can overpower them.

The Packers don't bring heat very often and they don't fake it very often either. They need to find a way to make it so that other teams have to prepare for Hawk coming off the edge. It would take away from his coverage duties and leave the safeties more vulnerable, but if the Packers' pass rush is non-existent the way it was against Dallas, there has to be another option. Hawk would be it.

McCarthy has talked about being an aggressive football team. This would be one way to show it.

The Leaper
12-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Morency vs. Jackson seems moot to me. What has Jackson shown?

Harrell is moot as well. The kid isn't suddenly going to be a player after a year-and-a-half of injury issues. If we need him, throw him in there...but don't expect much from him until camp next year.

I agree on Rouse. Collins is not a playmaker, and Bigby is a liability.

I'd start thinking about how you can incorporate Rodgers into the offense in the final 2 games. Favre should not be taking every snap the rest of the way, especially if we win the next 2 games and have the #2 seed virtually wrapped up.

Find a way to get Koren Robinson and Ruvell Martin on the field more in the red zone, and find ways to get the ball to Jennings and Driver more in space.

Utilize the corner blitz more often when Williams is on the edge. That kid is fast, and should be utilized to get after the QB.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Morency vs. Jackson seems moot to me. What has Jackson shown?

ya, it's tweedle-dee and tweedle-dum. But Morency really looks burnt out. Jackson has a little explosiveness. I wouldn't mind seeing Jackson get playing time.

Harrell is moot as well. The kid isn't suddenly going to be a player after a year-and-a-half of injury issues. If we need him, throw him in there...but don't expect much from him until camp next year.

Last summer, Harrell was getting beat by offensive lineman who didn't even make the practice squad. It's hard to believe that he can be anything but a liability this season. But I still agree with giving him playing time, they need for him to get better, and he at least has the size and athletic ability.

mraynrand
12-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Jackson at least has a history or being good as a receiver. That's a decent move, especially because it's not a huge part of the Packer's offense. Jackson can't do much damage and might provide a spark.

Rouse has been discussed elsewhere.

I agree with the other points, specifically that certain jobs should be kept open for competition - at safety, at nickel, guard, and at back-up defensive tackle. I'd like to see a lot of Harrell and Muir, if possible, over the next few games. Then use the better of the two more in the playoffs.

Maxie the Taxi
12-07-2007, 01:10 PM
My 4-Step Plan For Packers' Playoff Prep:

1. Beat Oakland
2. Beat St. Louis
3. Beat Chicago
4. Beat Detroit

If I'm McCarthy, I hammer this home day in and day out. One at a time, guys. Who plays where will take care of itself. Any player talking about playoffs instead of the above four steps gets an ass-chewing.

Tarlam!
12-07-2007, 01:20 PM
What Maxi said.

Plus, have the team practice once a week in Lake Michigan.

No, not on, I said IN.

mmmdk
12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
My 4-Step Plan For Packers' Playoff Prep:

1. Beat Oakland
2. Beat St. Louis
3. Beat Chicago
4. Beat Detroit

If I'm McCarthy, I hammer this home day in and day out. One at a time, guys. Who plays where will take care of itself. Any player talking about playoffs instead of the above four steps gets an ass-chewing.

I agree 100%

5. Get healthy as a team.

Plus bonus...learn from mistakes.

Partial
12-07-2007, 03:24 PM
What Maxi said.

No, not on, I said IN.

:shock: That'd be awfully chilly!! :P

Freak Out
12-07-2007, 05:56 PM
What Maxi said.

No, not on, I said IN.

:shock: That'd be awfully chilly!! :P

Other than rock hard nipples and potential hypothermia it's not a concern. :lol:

Good stuff from Silverstein and good points from the Ratz.

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 02:17 AM
Other than rock hard nipples and potential hypothermia it's not a concern. :lol:

You guys must have seen footage about clubs that do ice swimming and shit like that; These old geezers truly go swimming in frozen lakes etc with sub zero (celsius) temperatures and they never catch colds because they have hardened their immuns systems to repell that shit.

They walk around in shorts and a t-shirt when there's 4 feet of snow on the ground!!

Bretsky
12-08-2007, 07:46 AM
Winning the last 4 games is the most important

But I'd completely agree with all of the writers points. I'd like to continue to see Rouse because IMO Dallas will find ways to abuse Bigby. I'm still undecided on Rouse but I'd like to see more.

It seems the Packers will actually need Harrell to earn his check down the stretch. Give the guy some time. Hopefully we can handily win a couple of these games and when we are keep his @ss in there.

Put Hawk in positions to make game changing plays
Let em fight it out for the nickel

Al good points