PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Favorite Quote?

Scott Campbell
05-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Who's first?

Joemailman
05-15-2006, 08:50 PM
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Sir Winston Churchill

Reminds me of someone on this forum. Any guesses?

MJZiggy
05-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I have two.
Remember happiness doesn't depend on who you are or what you have; it depends solely upon what you think. -Dale Carnegie

We put on our thinking caps; we put on our listening ears, but sometimes our thinking caps fall off. -my kid the first time he got in trouble at school.

pacfan
05-15-2006, 09:07 PM
"There's no crying in baseball!!!"

"If it was easy everybody would be doing it"

Tom Hanks in "A League of their Own"

Iron Mike
05-15-2006, 09:19 PM
"I can usually judge a fellow by what he laughs at." Wilson Mizner, US Dramatist 1876-1933

GrnBay007
05-15-2006, 10:16 PM
Great thread!

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.
~Vince Lombardi

and, I don't know who the author of this one is....

Do not handicap your children by making their lives too easy.

Iron Mike
05-15-2006, 10:18 PM
and, I don't know who the author of this one is....

Do not handicap your children by making their lives too easy.

Robert Heinlen (googled) :razz:

GrnBay007
05-15-2006, 10:21 PM
Thanks! good ole google. :razz:

MJZiggy
05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
What did we ever do before google?

Iron Mike
05-15-2006, 10:37 PM
"If you want a summer wife/husband, don't bring home winter weather." (Dr. Tony Evans)

GrnBay007
05-15-2006, 11:09 PM
LOL - good 1

GBRulz
05-15-2006, 11:27 PM
"women who seek to be equal as men lack ambition"

GrnBay007
05-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Marriage means commitment. Of course, so does insanity. ~Author Unknown

:razz:

Joemailman
05-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I think that gay marriage should be between a man and a woman.
Arnold Schwarzenegger
:razz:

Anti-Polar Bear
05-16-2006, 07:22 AM
"Who cares about winning when sex is plentiful? My secret is, I acquires average players for homosexual relationships and then cut them at the end of training camp when we (the players and I) have sexed up."
Ted Thompson

Little Whiskey
05-16-2006, 08:32 AM
one of my fav. churchill quotes. actually a short dialoge between him and lady astor

"Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."--lady astor

"Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."---W. Churchill

billy_oliver880
05-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot. Dunno who said it though. :D

GBRulz
05-16-2006, 09:47 AM
Nice one, Tank!! What's your source? :wink:

Little Whiskey
05-16-2006, 09:58 AM
Nice one, Tank!! What's your source? :wink:

gbm, i think it was from that polar bear that lives in alaska, but uses Mt. Everest as its bathroom.

AtlPackFan
05-16-2006, 12:25 PM
"Mongo not sure. Mongo just pawn in game of life" Alex Karras in Blazing Saddles. :D

Joemailman
05-16-2006, 12:48 PM
"Nuts!" - General McAulife of the 101st Airborne when the Germans insisted he surrender in the Battle Of the Bulge in the encircled town of Bastogne.

pacfan
05-18-2006, 09:56 AM
"Its chess, not checkers"

Denzel Washington in Training day

CyclonePackFan
05-18-2006, 06:10 PM
Got a bunch:

"Extrordinary things can happen to ordinary people who are willing to work hard and never give up"
-Unknown

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."
-John F. Kennedy

"Rendezvous: two spacecraft meeting up in orbit. Want to have fun? Come over to my house. You stand in the back yard, I'll stand in the front, you throw a tennis ball over my roof and I'll try to hit it with a rock as it comes sailing over. That's what we're going to have to do."
-Chris Kraft, Former Director, Johnson Space Center

"Failure is not an option"
-Gene Krantz, Flight Director, Apollo 13

"Look at what's happened! We've reduced this series of partial differential equations into a single ordinary differential equation! Unfortunately, the equation is still third order and nonlinear, so it is still impossible to solve directly."
-John D. Anderson, Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, when describing the derivation of the Blasius solution of the Navier-Stokes Equations.

"In this world a man can either be an anvil or a hammer"
-Unknown

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it"
-Voltaire

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither"
-Ben Franklin

Also: http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/DilbertQuotes.htm

Sorry I've been out of the loop for so long. Draft weekend was my last bit of freedom, I've been really busy with Finals Week, moving home for 4 days, and making the move down to Houston, and getting started with work.

Little Whiskey
05-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Got a bunch:

"Look at what's happened! We've reduced this series of partial differential equations into a single ordinary differential equation! Unfortunately, the equation is still third order and nonlinear, so it is still impossible to solve directly."
-John D. Anderson, Fundamentals of Aerodynamics, when describing the derivation of the Blasius solution of the Navier-Stokes Equations.

you know that is funny, cause me and Larry the Cable Guy, were just discussing this very same thing!!

:mrgreen:

CyclonePackFan
05-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Got a bunch:

you know that is funny, cause me and Larry the Cable Guy, were just discussing this very same thing!!

:mrgreen:

I mostly included it because I love how textbooks always get excited about the stupidest things, and feel the need to use exclamation marks. Also, because once I read that part (which followed six pages of derivation), I closed my book, sat in a corner, and cried. It's like tearing a door off the hinges and finding a brick wall behind it.

K-town
05-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Well, I don't have a lot of quotes from famous, well-regarded historical figures. But I do watch a lot of movies and TV. So here's my top five favorite movie lines and quotes:

1) "To the tables everyone and stuff yourselves!" Burly Viking guy, The Adventures of Robin Hood

2) "I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miz Scarlett!" Prissy to Scarlett O'Hara, Gone with the Wind

3) "I want to shoot you so bad, my d*** is hard." Ice-T to Wesley Snipes, New Jack City

4)"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! And it's not over now. Nothing's over until WE say it's over!" John "Bluto" Blutarsky, Animal House

5) "I stick my neck out for noone" Humphrey Bogart, Casablanca

Little Whiskey
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I mostly included it because I love how textbooks always get excited about the stupidest things, and feel the need to use exclamation marks. Also, because once I read that part (which followed six pages of derivation), I closed my book, sat in a corner, and cried. It's like tearing a door off the hinges and finding a brick wall behind it.

the thing is, if my wife would include her fav. quotes they would be from text books. the books she reads for pleasure are published by McGrawHill. As she reads she takes notes and quizes her self at the end of chapters. so when you included this quote i chuckled as i thought of her taking notes and telling me this was quote worthy. :mrgreen:

Homer Jay
05-19-2006, 01:42 PM
" You just hunker down and give it hell for 3 or 4 seconds."

John Jurkovic, when asked how to play nose tackle in the NFL.

Guiness
05-19-2006, 02:40 PM
NEVER rub another man's rhubarb - The Joker, in Batman the Movie

Pacfan - you put my other favorite down - If it was easy, everyone would be doing it. I use that one around winny people at work all the time.

obGeekQuote: "640K ought to be enough for anybody." <-generally attributed to Bill Gates, but denied by him. Likely mostly Urban Legend.

Little Whiskey
05-19-2006, 03:05 PM
"rubbin's racin" Dale Earnhardt

"let the rough side drag" darrel waltrip

"we were inverted" Maverick from Top Gun

oregonpackfan
05-19-2006, 08:22 PM
"Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans." by Woody Allen

Joemailman
05-19-2006, 09:14 PM
"The truth of that matter is, if you listen carefully, Saddam would still be in power if he were the president of the United States, and the world would be a lot better off." —George W. Bush, second presidential debate, St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8, 2004

Iron Mike
05-19-2006, 09:27 PM
"Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans." by Woody Allen

I've read that quote before as being by John Lennon :neutral:

Deputy Nutz
05-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Some of my Favorite Douglas MacArthur quotes

"You are remembered for the rules you break."

"There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity."

"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. "

"No man is enitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation. "

Some of my favorite Patton quotes

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

"I dont give a damn about the color of your skin,
just kill as many sons of bitches wearing green as you can."

"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men."

Jimx29
05-24-2006, 10:11 PM
....Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode......

Sparkey
05-25-2006, 08:34 AM
"Wherever you go, there you are" ....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1401307787/103-2444802-8846248?v=glance&n=283155

Bossman641
05-25-2006, 01:56 PM
"Throughout my lifetime I've left pieces of my heart here and there and now there is almost not enough to stay alive, but I force a smile knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent"

---Blow

MJZiggy
05-27-2006, 09:50 PM
"Look at the mess we've got ourselves into," Colonel Aureliano Buendia said at that time, "just because we invited a gringo to eat some bananas."

GBRulz
05-29-2006, 10:09 AM
"we were inverted" Maverick from Top Gun

*cough* bullshit

Homer Jay
05-29-2006, 11:03 AM
This one is made possible by GBMichele sharing the Brett Favre video with us.

When asked if he had a dip of chew in, he replied, "Yeah. This aint the Ice Capades."

b bulldog
05-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Nuts is mine also

Partial
05-29-2006, 01:27 PM
Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. - Fierstein

If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down. - Bradbury

May the roads rise to meet you.
May the wind be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
The rain fall soft upon your fields
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand. - gaelic blessing

Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some. - dickens

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. - hemingway

Above all, do not lie to yourself. A man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point where he does not discern any truth either in himself or anywhere around him, and thus falls into disrespect towards himself and others. Not respecting anyone, he ceases to love, and having no love, he gives himself up to passions and coarse pleasures, in order to occupy and amuse himself, and in his vices reaches complete bestiality, and it all comes from lying continually to others and to himself. A man who lies to himself is often the first to take offense. It sometimes feels very good to take offense, doesn't it? And surely he knows that no one has offended him, and that he himself has invented the offense and told lies just for the beauty of it, that he has exaggerated for the sake of effect, that he has picked on a word and made a mountain out of a pea- he knows all of that, and still he is the first to take offense, he likes feeling offended, it gives him great pleasure, and thus he reaches the point of real hostility... Do get up from your knees and sit down, I beg you, these posturings are false, too. - Dostoevsky