PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rouse Not a Starter?

FritzDontBlitz
12-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Jeez, I almost understood the logic. Unhtil Schottenheimer started talking....

Packers safety can't net starts
Despite impressive numbers, Rouse stuck in backup role
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Dec. 6, 2007
Green Bay - There are comfort, experience and tackling considerations to make, but in determining whether Green Bay Packers rookie safety Aaron Rouse deserves to be a starter, the numbers don't lie.

Nick Collins and Atari Bigby: 21 starts, one interception, 10 passes defended.

Rouse: Three starts, two interceptions, four passes defended.

If his numbers were projected over 12 games, Rouse would lead the team in interceptions and passes defended. Even he is left wondering how much better he would be if he were allowed to continue as a starter.

"If I can get two picks in threes games, what do you think?" Rouse said Thursday.

The third-round pick from Virginia Tech won't get to find out how much more he could have accomplished, because with the return of Collins from a knee injury suffered Nov. 4 against Kansas City, Rouse is out of the starting lineup.

Instead of replacing either Collins or Bigby with the 6-foot-4, 223-pound Rouse, the coaches are sticking with the status quo. Even coming off a loss to the Dallas Cowboys in which both safeties - and the entire secondary, for that matter - played poorly.

"It's disappointing," Rouse said. "At the same time, we're a team, and the object is to win a game, and if me being a backup helps us win a game, then I have to be one of those guys who makes a sacrifice so we can get to the Super Bowl."

The Packers have been looking for stability at the safety position ever since Darren Sharper left after the 2004 season, and they thought they had it when Bigby beat out Marquand Manuel for a starting spot in training camp. Collins and Bigby give the Packers two solid tacklers with a working knowledge of the defense.

Collins is faster and can cover more ground than Bigby, and Bigby is better playing near the line of scrimmage. Neither of the two is much when it comes to big plays, however. Together, they have forced three turnovers this season.

Rouse, on the other hand, has displayed a knack for the ball during his short stint on the field. He had one interception, and nearly had two more, Nov. 18 against Carolina, and then the next week against Detroit had an interception, with the subsequent return turning the game around for the Packers.

He might have had another interception, and possibly his first touchdown, in his very first game - a relief role at Minnesota Sept. 30 - after undercutting a route, but Vikings quarterback Kelly Holcomb saw him at the last second and wound up throwing the ball straight into the ground.

"We allowed him to play, and the good thing about it is, he responded, given the opportunity," secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer said. "It wasn't like he was a rookie. He's a take-charge guy. We are very fortunate to have him. The more he plays, the better he's performed. We feel comfortable with him."

But. . . .

"We're very comfortable with the other two guys," Schottenheimer said. "We recognize that Nick is the leader of that group, and understands all the checks and adjustments with great anticipation. He has great athleticism. Atari is a young player who continues to be impressive. What we're looking for is more consistency."

Rouse, whose height and solid 40-yard dash time (4.58 seconds) make him an unusual prospect at safety, has shown much better ballhawking skills this year than he did during a horrible senior season with the Hokies, which might have been affected by a broken bone in his hand.

Even while he was sidelined with a knee injury last week, Rouse attended jog-throughs and stood behind the safeties, preparing as though he was going to play. He has done the same thing this week, and because his knee is healthy, he has been able to take some snaps with the defense, too.

"It's all about being prepared," Rouse said. "I take this job seriously. I'm always in my playbook."

The biggest concern the coaches have with Rouse is with his tackling. In his first start, against Minnesota at Lambeau Field on Nov. 11, he missed at least three tackles because he took kill shots instead of wrapping up. His angular body and lack of flexibility make him susceptible to jukes and spin moves, and he has to be more fundamentally sound.

The coaches have no problem with his reads.

"His fits are good," Schottenheimer said. "He has to improve on his tackling. He has to get his hips down, get his legs involved more. He's a big, high-cut guy. He's got good upper (body strength), he just has to get his legs more involved."

Defensive coordinator Bob Sanders was evasive about what role Rouse would play in the coming weeks and whether he would consider a change. Schottenheimer said that it was impractical to rotate the three and that Rouse would be a backup at both positions.

"To me, in my eyes, you put your best players out there," Schottenheimer said. "I think if you get a guy out there who gets a feel for it and you start seeing the same reads, the run reads, the pass reads, he has a tremendous advantage because he sees it throughout the season.

"Now is not the time you want to rotate guys in and so forth."

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat???? :shock:

BallHawk
12-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Further proof that Shotty has no idea what he's doing.

Please, Ted, just fire him. That's a move that everybody on this board would agree on.

Deputy Nutz
12-07-2007, 08:09 AM
Dumb, it is plain to see that Rouse has more talent in his left elbow than Bigby has in his entire body. Bigby has been a feel good story this year and the Packers are thinking that he will automatically learn how to cover and stop bitting on play action, apparently he is just in a funk, and the tight end really hasn't hurt the Packers all year. In Bigby we trust.

RashanGary
12-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I think next year they'll open up with open competition. It's always hard for a coach to turn it over to a rookie. Rouse has played well though, maybe they are making a mistake. Rouse does look very natural in zone coverage. He's our only safety that does.

I think a Bigby/Rouse combination is our best bet. Bigby roaming deep, laying big hits with Rouse playing in the more complicated short zones where his lack of speed isn't so obvious as it would be trying to cover ground on deep passes.

I'm growing tired of Collins. He's just not getting better and he has no impact on the game. Bigby has game changing plays, he just needs to get more consistant.

Zool
12-07-2007, 08:27 AM
Oaklands strength is running the ball.
Bigby and Collins' strength is tackling and supporting the run.
Rouses only weakness listed by anyone is missing tackles.

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Rouse seems like a clone of Sharper at this point in his career. Big hitter, ball hawk, poor tackler. And here we are, several years later lamenting over Sharper leaving and what he could do, and we have another version of him on the roster and he's not playing.

If Rouse can get on the field some more and make some more big plays, the coaching staff may have no choice but to start him.

RashanGary
12-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Oaklands strength is running the ball.
Bigby and Collins' strength is tackling and supporting the run.
Rouses only weakness listed by anyone is missing tackles.

He also takes bad angles and when a RB gets a step on him, it quickly turns into 3 steps and 15 yards because he's slower for a safety. He's about the same speed as Hawk.

I like the idea of bringing Rouse in for goalline situations. I think his knack for zone coverage and long arms would be a real benefit in tight quarters. Also, his lack of speed wouldn't be so obvious on a short field. He still has to improve his form on tackling, but I don't think that is something that is curable. I'm not as worried about that as I am about his angles and guys just running away from him like he's not even there.

Patler
12-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Rouse seems like a clone of Sharper at this point in his career. Big hitter, ball hawk, poor tackler. And here we are, several years later lamenting over Sharper leaving and what he could do, and we have another version of him on the roster and he's not playing.

If Rouse can get on the field some more and make some more big plays, the coaching staff may have no choice but to start him.

Sharper didn't start as a rookie either. When a safety plays an all-or-nothing style as Sharper does and Rouse appears to, you have to be comfortable that the number of times they guess right outweighs the number of times they guess wrong, and with Sharper and Rouse the number of tackles they will miss.

Rouse may not start, but I expect he will see more playing time in upcoming weeks.

Joemailman
12-07-2007, 09:16 AM
I do think that with winter settling in, having a safety who is strong in run support will be as important as coverage ability. However, if Bigby keeps trying to tackle people by the facemask, Rouse could get in there yet.

mmmdk
12-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Bigby has been a penalty machine lately; but Bigby might come in handy vs Fargas on sunday. As mentioned...don't tackle with facemask Mr. Bigby PLEASE.

pbmax
12-07-2007, 10:03 AM
My concern with Rouse is with the advice Cleft Crusty wannabe Cliff Cristl used to repeat over and over again.

When a player showed an inability to play low and with leverage he almost always had a limited upside. It seemed to be one area that either the player could do naturally or couldn't. Haven't heard many stories of players overcoming that habit.

Cristl was usually talking about O Lineman who had stiff hips, no knee bend or limited flexibility, but it would seem that some of those techniques carry over to the open field. As I recall, the concern with hips applied to CBs as well.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Bigby has been a penalty machine lately; but Bigby might come in handy vs Fargas on sunday. As mentioned...don't tackle with facemask Mr. Bigby PLEASE.

Bigby also has a habit of tackling out of bounds. He's frequently right on the edge of a flag.

I can't imagine two easier penalties to correct than face mask and out-of-bounds tackling. My god, you can train a hamster to avoid an area. I have hopes that Bigby will come around soon - maybe stick him on one of those hamster running wheels till he sees the light.

Wish the team would have rolled the dice with Rouse.

mraynrand
12-07-2007, 10:23 AM

Bigby also has a habit of tackling out of bounds. He's frequently right on the edge of a flag.

I can't imagine two easier penalties to correct than face mask and out-of-bounds tackling. My god, you can train a hamster to avoid an area. I have hopes that Bigby will come around soon - maybe stick him on one of those hamster running wheels till he sees the light.

Wish the team would have rolled the dice with Rouse.

Maybe they could set up one of those 'invisible fences' they use for dogs along the sideline and put a dog collar around Bigby's neck (and the whole defensive team for that matter). That way everyone knows where the sideline is. Also, maybe the NFL to electrify the facemasks to train players not to grab. And/or the training staff could give the players puperoni every time they tackle without pulling on the facemask.

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Sharper didn't start as a rookie either. When a safety plays an all-or-nothing style as Sharper does and Rouse appears to, you have to be comfortable that the number of times they guess right outweighs the number of times they guess wrong, and with Sharper and Rouse the number of tackles they will miss.

Rouse may not start, but I expect he will see more playing time in upcoming weeks.
Exactly. Ballhawks have some more noticable gaffes, but when when are right, it's a game-changing play.

BF4MVP
12-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Exactly. Ballhawks have some more noticable gaffes, but when when are right, it's a game-changing play.
Like this one....

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:o6ZcMspsqgSe7M:http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image%3Fprovider_id%3D301%26size%3D550x550_mb% 26ptp_photo_id%3D2845239

Rouse should start..When Collins and Bigby have 1 interception combined for the whole season, and Rouse has two in three games, doesn't that tell them something?

I also don't understand the comment about now not being the time when you want to rotate guys in and out..Ridiculous.

Edit: why the hell won't the picture work?? bah

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2007, 03:15 PM
Edit: why the hell won't the picture work?? bah
I think the link actually has to end in .jpg or some other picture format.