PDA

View Full Version : SI : 2007 Draft all over again

packers11
12-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Draft redux

Re-projecting the draft based on 2007 performances
Posted: Friday December 7, 2007 12:12PM; Updated: Friday December 7, 2007 12:45PM

With four weeks left in the regular season, it's time for a December do-over. In our third annual NFL re-draft, here's what we'd do with the first round, knowing what we know now:

Don Banks' Revised Draft
Position Team

1 Oakland Raiders
CALVIN JOHNSON, WR Georgia Tech

Original pick: JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
While Adrian Peterson has been the clear-cut rookie of the year, the Raiders have the fourth-ranked running game with emerging fifth-year vet Justin Fargas. An upgrade in the receiving ranks is still needed, and given JaMarcus Russell's lost year, taking the freakishly gifted Johnson would have been the wiser pick.

2 Detroit Lions
ADRIAN PETERSON, RB, Oklahoma

Original pick: Calvin Johnson, WR, Lions
The Lions rank dead last in the NFL in rushing (77.2 ypg), and the tandem of Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell pales in comparison to the talents of the most electrifying rookie rusher to hit the league since the Lions selected Barry Sanders third overall in 1989.

3 Cleveland Browns
JOE THOMAS, OT, Wisconsin

Original pick: Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
Some second-guessed the Browns on draft day for bypassing Brady Quinn to take the Badgers tackle, but Cleveland hit a grand slam with the pick. Thomas has people talking Pro Bowl already, and his early dominance has as much to do with the Browns' playoff contention as anything.

4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
AMOBI OKOYE, DT, Louisville

Original pick: Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson
Given the Bucs' need for another receiving threat, it was tempting to give them Dwayne Bowe in this slot. But Okoye has been described as a young Warren Sapp, and Tampa Bay could use a play-making presence at tackle. Four of Okoye's five sacks came in September, but he continues to play staunch run defense.

5 Arizona Cardinals
LEVI BROWN, OT, Penn State

Original pick: Levi Brown, OT, Penn State
The Cardinals' 25th ranked running game still leaves a lot to be desired, but Brown has been a defensible pick, starting at right tackle in seven of the nine games he's played. Arizona is well-stocked at a lot of the positions that make sense for the second half of our re-draft's top 10.

6 Washington Redskins
LARON LANDRY, S, LSU

Original pick: LaRon Landry, S, LSU
The Redskins found themselves facing injury issues on their offensive line from training camp on, so Thomas or Brown would have been natural fits had they lasted to No. 6. But Landry has been anything but a disappointment, and the Redskins need him all the more now in light of the Sean Taylor tragedy.

7 Minnesota Vikings
DWAYNE BOWE, WR, LSU

Original pick: Adrian Peterson, RB, Vikings
Without Peterson's impact to rely on, the Vikings would be in the market for another big-play option. Bowe has been this draft's second-best performer in that department, leading all rookie receivers in catches (54), yardage (786) and touchdowns (4, tied).

8 Atlanta Falcons
JAMARCUS RUSSELL, QB, LSU

Original pick: Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
We make it three ex-LSU Tigers in a row with Russell, whose rookie season in Oakland was effectively sacrificed to his contract stalemate. The Falcons' quarterback disaster makes this a no-brainer. Enough of Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich and Chris Redman. Bobby Petrino would snap up Russell and have a QB to groom.

9 Miami Dolphins
PATRICK WILLIS, LB, Mississippi

Original pick: Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio State
The Dolphins obviously have needs everywhere you look, but with veteran middle linebacker Zach Thomas playing in just five games this season, the polished Willis would have filled a very large gap in the middle of Miami's defense.

10 Houston Texans
MARSHAWN LYNCH, RB, California

Original pick: Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville
The Ahman Green acquisition hasn't worked out, and Ron Dayne is just a stop-gap option. If the Texans had Lynch, the league's second-most impressive rookie runner, they'd have the makings of a very balanced offense.

11 San Francisco
TONY UGOH, OT, Arkansas

Original pick: Patrick Willis, LB, Mississippi
Ugoh has excelled at guarding Peyton Manning's blindside in Indy, and with 49ers left tackle Jonas Jennings appearing in only five games before going on IR, the rookie would have filled a need. With Ugoh, the 49ers wouldn't have felt the need to trade their 2008 first-rounder to New England for the rights to select Joe Staley at No. 28.

12 Buffalo Bills
JON BEASON, LB, Miami

Original pick: Marshawn Lynch, RB, Cal
With Lynch gone to the No. 10 Texans, and second-rounder Paul Posluszny lost for the year early on with a broken forearm, Beason is a judicious use of the pick. If you're wondering why I don't give them quarterback Trent Edwards, who they wound up getting in the third round, it's a still a bit high for the ex-Stanford star.

13 St. Louis Rams
GAINES ADAMS , DE, Clemson

Original pick: Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska
After a very slow start, Adams has started to come on in Tampa Bay, starting the past four games and logging three of his 4 1/2 sacks in that span. The Rams' season fell apart early due to offensive-line injuries, but they took Adam Carriker in this slot because they needed defensive-line help, and Adams has too much upside to overlook.

14 New York Jets
DARRELLE REVIS, CB, Pittsburgh

Original pick: Darrelle Revis, CB, Pitt
Let's not fix something that's not broken. Revis, the top-rated cornerback in the draft, has more than lived up to that label, starting all 12 of New York's games and notching 12 passes-defensed and two interceptions.

15 Pittsburgh Steelers
DAVID HARRIS, LB, Michigan

Original pick: Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida State
Since taking over for the injured Jonathan Vilma inside, Harris has been a force with the Jets, totaling three sacks and a forced fumble in his five starts. Along with Willis and Beason, he continues the recent rookie trend of impact inside linebackers (Lofa Tatupu in 2005, DeMeco Ryans in 2006). Harris is a nice upgrade over LB Lawrence Timmons, who has had a very low-profile rookie season.

16 Green Bay Packers
TANARD JACKSON, FS, Syracuse

Original pick: Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
We're shaking things up a little here, pushing Jackson from the fourth round (where the Bucs took him) into the top half of the first. Jackson has a nose for the football and makes plays all over the field. He'd address one of Green Bay's few weak spots on defense, where free safety Nick Collins has missed time with a knee injury.

17 Denver Broncos
JAMAAL ANDERSON , DE Arkansas

Original pick: Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida
Anderson is still waiting to post his first NFL sack, but he has started all 12 games, with flashes of play-making ability. Defensive end Jarvis Moss, Denver's original pick, started just one of six games before going on IR. As much as the Broncos need help on run defense at tackle, Anderson's potential is too good to pass on.

18 Cincinnati Bengals
LEON HALL , CB, Michigan

Original pick: Leon Hall, CB, Michigan
Things are dismal once again on defense for the Bengals, but Hall didn't represent a miss in April's first round. He has four interceptions and 10 passes-defensed, and has started half of Cincinnati's 12 games. Injuries wiped out the Bengals at linebacker, but all the first-round prospects are off our board.

19 Tennessee Titans
REGGIE NELSON, S, Florida

Original pick: Michael Griffin, S, Texas
We know the Titans are happy with their first-round pick, safety Michael Griffin, who they've worked in at cornerback this season. But Nelson would upgrade the free safety spot, and as an added bonus, would weaken division rival Jacksonville. Nelson has four interceptions, one sack and nine passes-defensed in 11 starts.

20 New York Giants
TED GINN JR., WR, Ohio State

Original pick: Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
The Giants took Texas cornerback Aaron Ross in this slot, and he's shown up on numerous occasions as a rookie. But getting the speedster Ginn to help take some of the receiving burden off Plaxico Burress makes sense, too. Ginn would instantly upgrade New York's return units, too.

21 Jacksonville Jaguars
JAMES JONES, WR, San Jose State

Original pick: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
Sorry, but if Dennis Northcutt is your leading receiver, that means you need help at the position. Jones, a third-round pick by Green Bay, has 43 catches for 633 yards. Both totals would lead the Jaguars.

22 Cleveland Browns
ARRON SEARS, G, Tennessee

Original pick: Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
No Brady Quinn deal this time around. Not with Derek Anderson rendering Quinn an after-thought this season. The Browns' offensive line has been great, but Cleveland lost Seth McKinney at right guard, and has plugged in former tackle Ryan Tucker. Sears, a second-round pick, has started since opening day in Tampa Bay, with solid results.

23 Kansas City Chiefs
BRADY QUINN, QB, Notre Dame

Original pick: Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU
Had Quinn made it past No. 22 in April, the Chiefs would have pounced. And after watching both Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle struggle for the most part this season, you can understand why.

24 New England Patriots
AARON ROSS, CB, Texas

Original pick: Brandon Meriweather, S, Miami
Now that New England has won its 12th game of the season, the clause in Asante Samuel's contract that forbids the Patriots from using the franchise tag on him again has been activated. Thus, he's likely headed for free agency. Knowing that, Ross would be a sensible replacement to groom for the vacant starting job.

25 Carolina Panthers
SIDNEY RICE, WR, South Carolina

Original pick: Jon Beason, LB, Miami
The Panthers would have coveted a crack at Quinn, but he's gone to K.C. Although defensive lineman Adam Carriker would be tempting, Carolina is still searching for someone to draw some coverage away from go-to receiver Steve Smith. Rice has really come on of late for the Vikings. The second-rounder has caught touchdown passes in three of his past four games.

26 Dallas Cowboys
MICHAEL GRIFFIN, S, Texas

Original pick: Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue
The Cowboys' secondary remains their glaring weakness, and the pass coverage of safeties Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin is the weakest of the weak. Griffin, who played for the home-state Longhorns, has good range and speed, and can also help you with his ability to return kickoffs.

27 New Orleans Saints
NICK FOLK, K, Arizona

Original pick: Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
I know, I know, you can't possibly take a kicker in the first round. But have you seen Olindo Mare's work this season? He's made 8 of 15 field goals in his first year in New Orleans. That's a recipe for making it his last year in New Orleans. The strong-legged Folk, who went in the sixth round to Dallas, is 20 of 23, and 18 of 19 from 49 yards or closer.

28 San Francisco 49ers
TRENT EDWARDS, QB, Stanford

Original pick: Joe Staley, OT, Central Michigan
With the 49ers having already landed offensive tackle Tony Ugoh earlier in my re-draft, they don't need to go after OT Joe Staley with this pick. But given their quarterback miseries, how about taking a chance on Edwards, the local kid from Stanford? True, taking another first-round quarterback would would signal the end of the Alex Smith era, but Smith is starting to run low on time anyway.

29 Baltimore Ravens
ADAM CARRIKER, DL, Nebraska

Original pick: Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn
The Ravens have been very happy with Auburn guard Ben Grubbs, who they took at No. 29, and there would be no shame in standing pat. But Carriker is a top 20 talent who has fallen down our board, and he gives the Ravens a replacement for Trevor Pryce, who's out for the season due to injury and might be nearing the point where his spirit is willing but his body is beginning to falter.

30 San Diego Chargers
ANTHONY GONZALEZ, WR, Ohio State

Original pick: Craig Davis, WR, LSU
The Chargers taking LSU receiver Craig Davis hasn't worked out so far. He has just 13 catches for 127 yards, and San Diego is again being led in receptions by a tight end and a running back. Gonzalez isn't setting the world on fire with the Colts, but his receiving stats are almost twice what Davis has produced.

31 Chicago Bears
Greg Olsen, TE, Miami

Original pick: Greg Olsen, TE, Miami
The defending NFC champions have a slew of concerns, but the future of their tight end position is not one of them. Olsen has enjoyed a solid debut, leading all rookie tight ends in production with 31 catches for 315 yards and a pair of scoring grabs. He and Oakland tight end Zach Miller have been as good as advertised.

32 Indianapolis Colts
JOE STALEY, OT, Central Michigan

Original pick: Anthony Gonzalez, WR, Ohio State
Tarik Glenn's surprise retirement just before training camp made it all the more important that the Colts selected Arkansas tackle Tony Ugoh in the second round. But with Ugoh off our board at No. 11 to San Francisco, we have Indy opting for Staley, who went No. 28 to the 49ers and has impressively started all 12 games at right tackle.

The Leaper
12-07-2007, 01:09 PM
I would still rather have Reggie Nelson over either Harrell or Tanard Jackson.

Tarlam!
12-07-2007, 01:17 PM
Nice to see JJ is considered 1st round talent!

I tend to disagree that we should have gone after a Safety with the reasoning given. Rouse will work out just fine....

I like the work the writers did overall.

StPaulPackFan
12-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Draft redux

21 Jacksonville Jaguars
JAMES JONES, WR, San Jose State

Original pick: Reggie Nelson, S, Florida
Sorry, but if Dennis Northcutt is your leading receiver, that means you need help at the position. Jones, a third-round pick by Green Bay, has 43 catches for 633 yards. Both totals would lead the Jaguars.

How fitting. I remember the media backlash when GB picked him. Myself, I remember saying, 'who the heck is this guy'?? :oops: I'm glad he has stepped up to the challenge.

The Leaper
12-07-2007, 02:09 PM
I tend to disagree that we should have gone after a Safety with the reasoning given. Rouse will work out just fine....

Perhaps, but we can stand to upgrade BOTH safety spots IMO.

Tony Oday
12-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I think we should draft Ronnie Lott....errr wait...errr maybe he is a free agent...

VegasPackFan
12-08-2007, 01:50 AM
Once again it is nice to see how even the press will validate TT's strength of finding great talent in later rounds by having JJ as a 1st rounder. I wonder what they would say today of Greg Jennings in a retro 2006 draft?

Partial
12-08-2007, 06:37 AM
I'm sure Jennings would be the second receiver taken behind Santonio Holmes.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2007, 06:54 AM
I don't see Justin Harrell on the list. Probably just an oversight.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2007, 07:05 AM
A safety would be nice, but I think the current crop will come around.

I'd have liked to see TE Greg Olson in GB to phase-out Bubba. Or, in hindsight, an offensive lineman.

Bretsky
12-08-2007, 07:57 AM
I don't see Justin Harrell on the list. Probably just an oversight.

We nailed our first rounder in round three and our third rounder in round one :lol:

pbmax
12-08-2007, 09:06 AM
I predict a wist like turnaround for the doubters of the first round pick. If wist can throw some mild faint praise towards Barnett, then we shall soon be saying of Harrell, well, he doesn't fall down alot.

I am more worried that Colledge show improvement in year three like Rivera, Wahle and Andruzzi. I also hope it doesn't take a move to left tackle to do it, athough having another one isn't the worst thing. Spitz eventually at center and Juice and his lovely bride at left guard.

KYPack
12-08-2007, 12:38 PM
I predict a wist like turnaround for the doubters of the first round pick. If wist can throw some mild faint praise towards Barnett, then we shall soon be saying of Harrell, well, he doesn't fall down alot.

I am more worried that Colledge show improvement in year three like Rivera, Wahle and Andruzzi. I also hope it doesn't take a move to left tackle to do it, athough having another one isn't the worst thing. Spitz eventually at center and Juice and his lovely bride at left guard.

Spitz played very well at C. Guess the boy just can't play the RG spot well.

I thought he might elevate Rouse to Rnd 1, also. Rouse has played well and inproved by a huge margin.