PDA

View Full Version : Amazing Favre Interview on Jime Rome

Partial
12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Did anyone catch it? I missed it, but supposedly it was one of the most candid interviews Rome has ever done.

Here is a direct link to listen to it.

http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/jimrome/rome_favre.MP3

Fosco33
12-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I caught the debrief version on Rome Is Burning on ESPN.

Among other things...

Rome admitted he was wrong about Favre not previously retiring and that Favre was right about the Packers being a good team in Aug 06. Rome thought his streak was the most impressive thing about Favre. Favre said he wasn't sure he'd know when he should retire.

Favre is not 100% but plans on playing - it does affect his throwing and his fingers are a little numb.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 04:16 PM
I didn't hear the interview, but I caught a quick review from big Jim. Rome was breathing heavily and rythmically. I think John Madden has some competition. (edit: I forgot that Madden has moved-on to Romo, maybe not a problem.)

Joemailman
12-07-2007, 04:27 PM
I caught the debrief version on Rome Is Burning on ESPN.

Among other things...

Rome admitted he was wrong about Favre not previously retiring and that Favre was right about the Packers being a good team in Aug 06. Rome thought his streak was the most impressive thing about Favre. Favre said he wasn't sure he'd know when he should retire.

Favre is not 100% but plans on playing - it does affect his throwing and his fingers are a little numb.

Fingers are a little numb and he'll be playing in cold temperatures on Sunday. Hope Brett stays away from pump fakes, and hope there are no blind-side hits or there may be some fumbles.

MJZiggy
12-07-2007, 04:30 PM
He plays in Green Bay in winter. Surely he's played through numb fingers before. Hell I was in the stands for a couple of 'em and I couldn't feel my fingers either.

BF4MVP
12-07-2007, 05:01 PM
My mom called me at my apartment this morning at about 11:00 and told me he was going to be on..So I listened to it, it really was an amazing interview. Thanks for posting the link for people who missed it, because you'd have to pay in order to get it from jimrome.com..Anyone who missed it, i recommend you click the link and listen.

4and12to12and4
12-07-2007, 08:51 PM
My mom called me at my apartment this morning at about 11:00 and told me he was going to be on..So I listened to it, it really was an amazing interview. Thanks for posting the link for people who missed it, because you'd have to pay in order to get it from jimrome.com..Anyone who missed it, i recommend you click the link and listen.

Great pic of of Favre as sportsman of the year. Who would've thought, especially with Brady's year, that he gets that honor. That shows that they understand how much more he means to our team, not having the all-star cast that Brady has around him, but the fact that he helped us win a SuperBowl in '96, and over a decade later is having a phenomenal year statistically and getting this honor should establish him in everyone's mind as the greatest QB to ever suit up. It's seems simple enough to me. His overall body of work is so much more amazing than any other QB that has played in the NFL, it's a no brainer. Brett will go down as the best ever. If he wins another SB, it won't even be in question. Even without it, he is better than anyone else in that position IMO. No doubt about it.

4and12to12and4
12-07-2007, 08:53 PM
To add to my post, he's not the greatest QB ever, he's the greatest football player ever, regardless of position, and Walter Payton and Jim Brown come as close seconds.

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 03:35 AM
Great interview. Kudos, Partial.

Patler
12-08-2007, 06:13 AM
but the fact that he helped us win a SuperBowl in '96, and over a decade later is having a phenomenal year statistically and getting this honor should establish him in everyone's mind as the greatest QB to ever suit up. It's seems simple enough to me. His overall body of work is so much more amazing than any other QB that has played in the NFL, it's a no brainer. Brett will go down as the best ever. If he wins another SB, it won't even be in question. Even without it, he is better than anyone else in that position IMO. No doubt about it.

I am a big Favre fan, but I can not annoint him the greatest QB to ever play, simply because of his poor performances in too many critical situations (perhaps even including at Dallas last week).

oregonpackfan
12-08-2007, 02:25 PM
but the fact that he helped us win a SuperBowl in '96, and over a decade later is having a phenomenal year statistically and getting this honor should establish him in everyone's mind as the greatest QB to ever suit up. It's seems simple enough to me. His overall body of work is so much more amazing than any other QB that has played in the NFL, it's a no brainer. Brett will go down as the best ever. If he wins another SB, it won't even be in question. Even without it, he is better than anyone else in that position IMO. No doubt about it.

I am a big Favre fan, but I can not annoint him the greatest QB to ever play, simply because of his poor performances in too many critical situations (perhaps even including at Dallas last week).

I too agree with Patler on this point. I truly appreciate what Favre has done, and is still doing as quarterback for the Packers.

IMO, he is not the greatest QB of all time.Favre has not played well in many critical games. Favre tends to be a gunslinger, taking too many poor risks.

My vote for greatest QB of all time has to be Johnny Unitas.

BF4MVP
12-08-2007, 02:49 PM
Great pic of of Favre as sportsman of the year.
Thanks, I like yours too! 8-)

My stance on Brett is similar to Terry Bradshaw's..I'm proud to say it, Brett Favre is the best I've ever seen play.

4and12to12and4
12-08-2007, 04:13 PM

I too agree with Patler on this point. I truly appreciate what Favre has done, and is still doing as quarterback for the Packers.

IMO, he is not the greatest QB of all time.Favre has not played well in many critical games. Favre tends to be a gunslinger, taking too many poor risks.

My vote for greatest QB of all time has to be Johnny Unitas.

It's hard to compare Unitas because the league was so different then. He had a great arm from film I've seen, but teams just didn't throw like they are now, and defenses were much more vanilla than they are now since the 4-6 and cover two, etc.. There are several QB's that have better downfield accuracy than Brett, but that's just one small piece to what a QB is. Brett is the COMPLETE player. He's easily the toughest to ever play that position, and I hold that very high in evaluating his greatness, and he has probably the strongest arm EVER, Elway close behind. He has outstanding pocket presence, and Brady or Peyton if they continue their success for another 8 years or so, then maybe they pass him up, but RIGHT NOW, look at how many winning seasons he's compiled. He only has one losing season in all the years he's been here. Through all the coaching and players changing around him, that's extraordinary. Hell, Manning loses a couple of guys and throws 6 pics, he has adjusted since then, but his numbers are definitely down. Brett has never had the consistency on offense that Peyton has had these past 7 years, and Brady has had that great defense around him all these years, not to mention a great coaching staff. So, all in all, when you look at the whole picture, Brett is the best ever, he has done so much with so little. He may have lost some playoff games, but if you look back, it wasn't his fault, running backs fumbling, defenses not helping him, bad calls from officiating (the 49ers game that TO trapped the ball on 4th down, and we could've run out the clock and won that game, and maybe winning the Superbowl that year, cuz they were the best team out there other than us. He has had some bad timing in big games, and inconsistent receivers and linemen and defenses to work with through it all. Yet he took us into the playoffs almost every year since starting as our QB. Don't we have more wins in the past fifteen years than any other franchise? If not for our defense letting Denver run the ball at will in the second half, Brett would have won two rings in a row, he played outstanding in that game. Every time Denver scored, Brett took us down the field and scored also, and damn near won that game in the final minutes. If Brett can even get us to the Superbowl this year, he will go down as the best ever. Who else won a Superbowl and 12 years later had a ten and two team. No one ever. His amazing ability to be better at 38 than 28 in itself should put him at #1. Nobody else has ever been this good for this long. Not even close. Marino played as long, but couldn't even move the final few years.

OS PA
12-08-2007, 05:29 PM
"The last few years our big play option was throw the ball deep to Donald and hope for the best."

That made me smile.

Rastak
12-08-2007, 05:32 PM
To add to my post, he's not the greatest QB ever, he's the greatest football player ever, regardless of position, and Walter Payton and Jim Brown come as close seconds.

Ummmm, I beg to differ.

BF4MVP
12-08-2007, 05:37 PM

Ummmm, I beg to differ.
NO, RASTAK!! Fran Tarkenton is NOT ahead of Favre!!!!!

:wink:

Rastak
12-08-2007, 05:39 PM

Ummmm, I beg to differ.
NO, RASTAK!! Fran Tarkenton is NOT ahead of Favre!!!!!

:wink:

Nope, Favre ranks real high on the list....I'm not sure he's the best QB ever let alone the best player ever. I will say he ranks pretty high up though.

packinpatland
12-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Great interview...........thanks for posting it.

I especiallly like the part where he talkes about Koren Robinson. I wish the NFL would 'adjust' the suspension rules and as Brett suggests.......... and help these guys.