PDA

View Full Version : Will Erasmus James ever get an NFL career off the ground?

Patler
12-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Just named a starter at DE last week, now this:

Erasmus James' comeback from major knee surgery lasted all of three or four plays.

The Minnesota Vikings defensive end was placed on injured reserve Friday and will need surgery again to repair the ACL in his left knee.

KYPack
12-07-2007, 06:02 PM
No.

Chronic knees in an edge rushing DE?

He's done. These kind of players help a D so much, but most of 'em wash out. When ya get a Freeny, you've struck gold. But you only find a nugget now and then.

Rastak
12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
No.

Chronic knees in an edge rushing DE?

He's done. These kind of players help a D so much, but most of 'em wash out. When ya get a Freeny, you've struck gold. But you only find a nugget now and then.

I agree. He hasn't been the same since he hurt his knee last year. If he screwed it up again I can't imagine him coming back. He looked great last year in pre-season too. I think he would have come into his own. He's a real nice guy too. That's real unfortunate.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 06:14 PM
I thought players came back from these knee injuries. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Badgerinmaine
12-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm not optimistic about him, but I loved watching him for the Badgers and hope he can come back.

Rastak
12-07-2007, 06:47 PM
I thought players came back from these knee injuries. I wouldn't write him off yet.

Well, he isn;t back from the first one and now he's screwed it up again.

You might be right.

Lurker64
12-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Even without injuries, it wasn't really clear to me that he'd have much of an NFL career. Wasn't the knock on the guy that he didn't really love football and he only had one good year (which was admittedly a really good year.)?

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Even without injuries, it wasn't really clear to me that he'd have much of an NFL career. Wasn't the knock on the guy that he didn't really love football and he only had one good year (which was admittedly a really good year.)?

He was a HELL of a player in college. And no, I wouldn't say at all that he didn't like football. He was a skinny kid from ... Jamaica or some other carribean Island, who made TREMENDOUS improvements each year of college.

mraynrand
12-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Jamal Reynolds sure recovered well from his knee injury.

Cheesehead Craig
12-07-2007, 10:19 PM
He's done as anything but a servicable backup at this point (assuming he can stay healthy). He's not a star, he's not a starter. Everything that made him special has been taken away by the injuries. His speed and quickness are gone.

b bulldog
12-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Boy,I hit that one on the head.

Partial
12-07-2007, 11:13 PM
Sad, sad stuff. He was one hell of a Badger.

Harlan Huckleby
12-07-2007, 11:59 PM
His speed and quickness are gone.

How do you know? Was he slow in the few plays he had in his comeback?

People are jumping to conclusions.

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Not sure what to make of James. He wasn't really great in college. He was great for one year, but an injury derailed him. He was solid in another year. Another year where he was hurt. He was great for about 10 games. I haven't really seen anything to get excited about--even when he was healthy. However, I felt that he was young and he needed time. Not sure what this does--other than further cementing the fact that he's extremely injury prone. I think he's had one healthy season in 6 years (college and pros combined).

Scott Campbell
12-08-2007, 12:31 AM

People are jumping to conclusions on Harrell. There are lots more data points on James, with a mounting pile of solid evidence that he is a bust.

However, it's not yet completely beyond the realm of possibility that he turns it around.

Bretsky
12-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Boy,I hit that one on the head.

You predicted that he's tear his ACL and that would hurt his career ?

Bretsky
12-08-2007, 07:35 AM

People are jumping to conclusions on Harrell. There are lots more data points on James, with a mounting pile of solid evidence that he is a bust.

However, it's not yet completely beyond the realm of possibility that he turns it around.

You are right

But a torn ACL following by continued damage is worse than anything JH has endured. Plus, JH is younger.

I wouldn't write James off but he has a long road ahead

Patler
12-08-2007, 09:31 AM
You are right

But a torn ACL following by continued damage is worse than anything JH has endured. Plus, JH is younger.

Apparently it was the same knee as last year, which doesn't sound good.
Wasn't his hip injury at UW thought to be potentially career-threatening at one time? It really seems to be compounding on him.

MJZiggy
12-08-2007, 09:38 AM
Hip on the same side as the knee? What's the possibility that the hip injury is a contributing factor to the knee injuries?

Patler
12-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Hip on the same side as the knee? What's the possibility that the hip injury is a contributing factor to the knee injuries?

It does make one wonder. Hip "irregularity" or inflexibility causing problems in the knee?

"The hip bone is connected to the ......"

Bretsky
12-08-2007, 09:48 AM
You are right

Apparently it was the same knee as last year, which doesn't sound good.
Wasn't his hip injury at UW thought to be potentially career-threatening at one time? It really seems to be compounding on him.

Yup. As much as I don't like the Queens I would like to see this Ex Badger come back and have a decent NFL career. Does not look good for him though

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2007, 02:08 PM

I live in the TC, I've seen tons of analysis on how he is. He's slower than he was at Wisconsin and continued damage to his knees is only going to make him slower. This isn't rocket surgery here.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 07:11 AM
b, I did predict that he would have serious injury issues and I went round and round with Dane about this. I told him Marcus Spears would be the better of the two.

Bretsky
12-09-2007, 10:31 AM
b, I did predict that he would have serious injury issues and I went round and round with Dane about this. I told him Marcus Spears would be the better of the two.

Dane Setner ? Now there's a flash from the past. Spears has certainly been a heck of a lot better