View Full Version : Never Forget

Freak Out
12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Pearl harbor.

digitaldean
12-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Freak Out...

Thanks for posting about this.

We need to remember and learn from dates like this.

MJZiggy
12-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Damn. I had forgotten.

packinpatland
12-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Listened to NPR this morning. Garrioson Keillor did a piece on Pearl Harbor, it was VERY moving.
Hard to imagine then............... and then today.

Scott Campbell
12-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I've been to the monument on the Arizona. It's hard to believe how asleep at the switch we were that day, and all the heroism that resulted.

Badgerinmaine
12-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Amen, FreakOut. I don't think anyone I ran into yesterday even mentioned in in passing, and that's a shame.
Badgerinmaine, proud son of a Word War II Army Air Corps vet

Freak Out
12-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Amen, FreakOut. I don't think anyone I ran into yesterday even mentioned in in passing, and that's a shame.

Both my father and his brother fought in the pacific in WW2 and I grew up with the war still somewhat fresh in everyones mind....some wish they could just forget about it altogether.

But we must never forget...and always honor their struggle and sacrifice.

Deputy Nutz
12-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I've been to the monument on the Arizona. It's hard to believe how asleep at the switch we were that day, and all the heroism that resulted.

I don't know if we were so much asleep at the wheel, more like our heads buried in the sand.

Badgerinmaine
12-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Both my father and his brother fought in the pacific in WW2 and I grew up with the war still somewhat fresh in everyones mind....some wish they could just forget about it altogether.

But we must never forget...and always honor their struggle and sacrifice.

I salute your uncle and father. :tup:

My dad was badly wounded by German flak and passed out on his return...he woke up three days later in a hospital in Scotland. While his leg was and still is messed up from it I don't think he's had any post-traumatic stress about it--at least as far as I know. He must have had some memories he doesn't want to talk about.

MJZiggy
12-09-2007, 03:25 PM
My dad was on a ship in the Pacific, either they had just left Pearl Harbor or were on their way there when the attack happened. He does NOT talk about the war. (at least not with me--my ex's dad used to talk to him about it and I would hang out to listen)

GrnBay007
12-09-2007, 04:37 PM
My Dad was Navy WWII also. He only told a few select stories about his time there...other than that he didn't want to talk about it. He had a wife and two small kids at home at the time. He always talked about how hard it was being there at Christmas.

Badgerinmaine
12-09-2007, 05:00 PM
Props to your dads, too.
Part of the talking with every WWII vet I've ever met is a remarkable sense of modesty.

Joemailman
12-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Today, December 16 is the 63rd anniversary of the launching The Battle Of The Bulge. The Germans launched their last major offensive of the war as they attacked the thinly defended Ardennes Forest in Belgium and Luxembourg. My late father was serving in the Signal Corp in far southern Holland, just west of Aachen Germany, at the time, about 30 miles north of the northern shoulder of "The Bulge". If the Germans had been able to break through there, all of the allied soldiers in Holland (mostly British and Canadian, with some Americans) would have been cut off, trapped between the Germans and the North Sea. My father knew it and never forgot it.

Here in Wausau, there is a monument in tribute to the soldiers who served in the Battle Of The bulge. There were a large number of soldiers from Marathon County who served in the Bulge, and a group of those who are still with us meet regularly to remember.

http://www.ndu.edu/inss/books/Books%20-%201998/Military%20Geography%20March%2098/mgmap4.gif

Tyrone Bigguns
12-16-2007, 10:27 PM
Seems to me a lot of wisconsites are still battling the bulge.

BallHawk
12-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Today marks the aniversary of the tragic Malmedy Massacre in which 88 Unarmed American POWs were shot ruthlessly by German forces.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malmedy_massacre

There's actually a movie about it which is pretty good called Saints and Soldiers. If you like WWII movies it's worth a rental.

Joemailman
12-17-2007, 11:15 AM
My dad was about 30 miles north of Malmedy when it happened, and they quickly heard about it. He said it was the dumbest thing the Germans did. After that, everybody fought harder because nobody wanted to be taken prisoner.