PDA

View Full Version : Why you shouldn't rush to judgement

RashanGary
12-07-2007, 07:50 PM
By Mike Vandermause

What a difference a year makes.

Exactly 12 months ago, the Green Bay Packers had sputtered to a 4-8 record, and the natives were getting restless.

After a particularly brutal 38-10 loss to the New York Jets at Lambeau Field on Dec. 3, 2006, coach Mike McCarthy’s competence was seriously questioned by some fans.

In a Press-Gazette online chat after that game, one disgruntled questioner wrote: “At what point do we give Jim Bates a call? When you have a proven winner with head coaching experience, why do you pass him up for a proven loser?”

When I suggested that McCarthy, at the time a first-year head coach, deserved more than 12 games to prove himself and should be judged over the life of his three-year contract, some of the faithful lobbed grenades.

“There is no progress in Green Bay, and our players are learning from a perennial loser,” one poison-penned fan said. “Your three-year plan is a joke. If a guy is a loser, he’s a loser.”

Not surprisingly, I haven’t received any letters or e-mails in a long time calling McCarthy a loser. Under his guidance, the Packers have gone 14-2 over the past year and become one of the best teams in the NFL.

The point here is not to go off on an “I told you so” rant against the impatient blockheads who were ready to run McCarthy out of town last season. No one then could have predicted the Packers’ amazing success this season.

The point is that in an instant-gratification sports world, in which results are demanded right now, the McCarthy example should serve as an important lesson.

Time and patience are needed for anyone to prove himself. Snap judgments and knee-jerk reactions can lead to chaos. In the NFL, it applies to coaches, general managers and players.

The next time someone proclaims rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell a flop, kindly stick a sock in the windbag’s big mouth.

My position on Harrell this season is no different than it was on McCarthy a year ago. It’s too early to say whether Harrell will emerge as a solid player. He needs an honest chance to show his worth.

Just because Harrell hasn’t made a big splash as a rookie doesn’t mean he’s destined for the scrap pile. Give him some time before blasting Ted Thompson for supposedly wasting the Packers’ No. 16 overall draft pick last April.

Sadly, too many demand an immediate impact and are quick to dismiss a player or coach who doesn’t measure up to those unreasonable standards.

This is not to suggest results aren’t important. In a year or two, if Harrell is doing his best Jamal Reynolds imitation, the critics will have a legitimate beef. If the Packers suddenly take a nosedive under McCarthy in 2008 and 2009, there would be sound reasons to question his coaching prowess.

With the exception of Detroit Lions president Matt Millen, there are no free passes in the NFL. Players, coaches and front-office types shouldn’t be allowed to fail at their jobs year after year.

On the other hand, no one deserves a quick hook.

One of the loudmouth chatters a year ago told me: “We’re lucky you aren’t running the team. Nobody gives a head coach three years to implement his program. It’s all about progress, and right now the Packers are going backward.”

Well, he got one thing right, at least. The Packers are indeed lucky I’m not in charge. But at least I’m smart enough to know McCarthy needed time to show us what he could do.

mraynrand
12-07-2007, 08:11 PM
I don't know Mike Vandermause at all, but I hate him.

Scott Campbell
12-07-2007, 08:25 PM

I think Mike Vandermause is trying to force Brett into retiring, so I hate him too.

pbmax
12-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Those were two trying weeks, just getting our hindquarters handed to us against New England and the Jets. A low point on the T2 bandwagon. Really looked like the wheels were flying off.

It was though two games that made me keep repeating that the defense isn't as good as it looked the last four games. It also shows how schedules affect teams from year to year. Last year we got the AFC East during a high point (Pats and Jets mainly). This year we go the AFC West at its nadir.

4and12to12and4
12-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Those were two trying weeks, just getting our hindquarters handed to us against New England and the Jets. A low point on the T2 bandwagon. Really looked like the wheels were flying off.

It was though two games that made me keep repeating that the defense isn't as good as it looked the last four games. It also shows how schedules affect teams from year to year. Last year we got the AFC East during a high point (Pats and Jets mainly). This year we go the AFC West at its nadir.

Well, both head coaches probably had tons of footage of our playcalling and had the advantage of knowing what we were running play to play, I'm sure Man genius used those illegal tapes all of last year too, and decided this year knowing the Pats were stacked with talent to be a tattle tale, but last year, both those games could be chalked up to cheating, so who knows. Not to mention, our oline was still scratching there heads trying to figure out the backside blocking scheme, diving into the ground as defenders jumped over them heading toward Favre, so that was a long time ago, and much has changed since then. I still believe the Pats are using old footage they have to get an edge, hopefully teams will change their signals to thwart these thieves.

RashanGary
12-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Looks like even the sports writers have a case of the "I told you so's".

It happens when people run around screaming from the roof tops that they have the answers and the answer is doom and gloom to every question. You can't help but want to say "How's that doom and gloom coming?" after everything works out.

mraynrand
12-07-2007, 09:58 PM

I think Mike Vandermause is trying to force Brett into retiring, so I hate him too.

I don't like the way you write. You're a very bad person.

Scott Campbell
12-07-2007, 11:38 PM

I don't like the way you write. You're a very bad person.

I hate judgemental people.

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 02:09 AM
By Mike Vandermause

The point is that in an instant-gratification sports world, in which results are demanded right now, the McCarthy example should serve as an important lesson.

The next time someone proclaims rookie first-round draft pick Justin Harrell a flop, kindly stick a sock in the windbag’s big mouth.

I think the guy is bang on, especially with regards to Harell.