PDA

View Full Version : Ahman Green's career could be over

packers11
12-08-2007, 10:47 AM
ESPN's John Clayton reports that Ahman Green's career could be over.

Green's 2007 season is definitely over after he went on I.R. Friday. Clayton says Green won't catch on with a team in the offseason unless he takes a one-year deal for the veterans' minimum. Green is certain to be cut by the Texans, who figure to use an early draft pick on a tailback next April.

Source: ESPN Insider

packers11
12-08-2007, 10:48 AM
very sad... He got his money, and I always liked the guy, I wanted him to be successful... Hope he can recover and get healthy for next season...

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 10:51 AM
He'll be a Packer in 08 if the Txans are only offering the vets' min.

He got his payday, so let's get him back home for a fair amount. He can help us, I'm sure. I bet, he loves this ball club. If Brett plays 08, well, that's the icing on Ahman's cake!

the_idle_threat
12-08-2007, 10:57 AM
If he's in this bad of shape, then I suspect the only chance that Ted would sign him is if it's one of those one-day deals if he wants to retire as a Packer. It's too bad, because he was a great player for the Packers, but a good football team moves on with younger, healthier guys.

oregonpackfan
12-08-2007, 11:08 AM
If he's in this bad of shape, then I suspect the only chance that Ted would sign him is if it's one of those one-day deals if he wants to retire as a Packer. It's too bad, because he was a great player for the Packers, but a good football team moves on with younger, healthier guys.

I think the above scenario is a possibility.

Historically, Green has always worked hard in rehabbing as well as keeping himself in top shape. He just might come back for another full season.

LL2
12-08-2007, 11:17 AM
TT will not bring him back.

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 11:24 AM
TT will not bring him back.

And you know this, because...

RashanGary
12-08-2007, 11:31 AM
So, now WHO HERE thinks Thompson LEARNED ANYTHING from the Walker situation....

This is life on Ted's watch people. NO ONE is expendable. You do it Ted's way, OR, you hit the highway.... .

Free Agency is nothing more than a tool and like any tool, it's as good or as bad as the person using it.

Then, perhaps, maybe someone should give Ted some lessons. :shock:

Don't worry Buck. They'll draft a guy in the 4th round who'll be ready to contribute in 2009. Gotta build through the draft, you know? .

This is really quite simple. AT MOST, the Packers are THREE players away from a prolific offense, a good TE, a WR to complement Driver and a RB that can be counted on.

Could Morency make it? Sure. Will he? WHO KNOWS. For kicks, lets just say that we get a TE that can catch, and a second receiver threat, but lose green and need to rely on Morency. Do you really want to risk him looking like Lamont Jordan over a couple of million dollars? WHY RISK THAT?

It's STUPID. Ahman Green is not the next coming of Christ, but he's a "more sure bet" than Morency at a REASONABLE rate.

As far as the contract, look at Fred Taylor. This is NOT THAT HARD Partial. .

It took SIX years for Ted & Holmgren to field a good competitive team in Seattle.

By then, Ahman Green won't matter, so why should he matter now?

Better get comfortable, you are NOT on the bullet train, you is on the Stagecoach.... .

Six years to field a competitive team? What are you talking about? He joined Seattle in 2000. They were coming off a 6-10 season. They went 9-7 in 2001, and then made the playoffs in 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006. It took him five years to field a Super Bowl caliber team. I'd say they were competitive long before 2005.

Oh for heaven's sake. Harvey this is BULLSHIT. Holmgren started in Seattle in 1998. Yes, Thompson joined later, but doesn't alter the point. 2001 they "lucked" into the playoffs with Kitna at QB, who was RELEASED after the playoff blowout. 2003 & 2004, when they beat up on poor teams did not make this team competitive. I saw three home games each year and those teams WERE A JOKE. Playing in the NFC West, against SF & AZ doesn't make them any more competitive than Green Bay in the North.

2004 might have been competitive, HOWEVER, the playoff loss to the RAMS was a joke. I was at that game, and LEFT at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

Keep writing your "revisionist" history.

Harvey, it remains to be seen that some holes won't be filled. HOWEVER, considering his history, it is UNLIKELY. I would hate to see this team begin the season with a "few" holes. Some "lower tier' free agents probably works on offense, PROVIDED they pan out. I still have vivid memories of some turnstile guards who didn't work out as planned. Gambling with Ahman Green is just STUPID. There is no other word for it. Not that much money at risk here. If not Green, then get someone in here. Why no interest there?

I remain unconvinced that the defense is up the task. I do think a "name" free agent would help. Thomas, perhaps, however, his price tag is ridiculously high. We need an experienced safety desperately, and I don't understand the lack of interest in Hamlin either. It makes little sense, and just confirms for me that we're in this REBUILDING for several more years. .

But we'd have had to overpay. Don't worry, we'll build through the draft.... .

2009 here we come... THIS IS A SICK JOKE.... .

We'll find a guy in the 4th round. He'll start this year and be ready for 2009...

Don't worry. Be happy. THE MAN is on the watch, not overpaying, not reacting.

He LEADING damn it, he's LEADING. What a joke. .

He's not getting 8 mil in salary in addition to the bonus. He's getting 8mil TOTAL. That's a salary of 1.5 plus a bonus.... If you stopped trying to spin this favorably and just learned to read and do simple math.... you'd see.

This is screwed up. SCREWED UP. Open your eyes... .

Oh, come on RG. It hurts to see Ahman Green go but in all fairness; he is in the final leg of his career and he will be worse every year from now untill he retires.

Is it hard to see such a dedicated and once dominate player go? Sure, but it's not like we lost the guy in his prime. He's one 30 something injury away from being out of the NFL.

Sick is a little bit of a strong word and the tone that came along with it was certainly over the top.

You've been a big influence on my view of Sherman. He made some good moves in the draft. He acctually did OK except that he traded away so many picks. He did some good things like Clifton and Harris. He also did some bad things. The blind loyalty to Sherman and the hatred t'ward the guy who relpaced him seems to me more emotion than reason. Was he your neighbor or does he have alot of qualities that you see in yourself? For whatever reason, you take this way too personal. .

Whether I'm a "mod" or not, I'm going to let you know when I disagree with you. Believe me, if I can't back it up, I don't open my mouth. I've been passive, supportive, and in the "team environment", for too long, and I can't for the life of me figure out what the plan is. I am convinced there isn't one, at least one that works in the short term. .

No, you were never passive. You were passive aggressive; that is too much of a coward to come out and say what you think yet enough of a dirt bag to sit around and sarcastically criticise others.

Yep, Houston probably overpaid for Ahman Green too.... What a joke.

and, more importantly, TIME to train. We saw 13 weeks of training to get the OL steady. While a good RB should go quicker, we also saw what an "early season" training loss will do to playoff chances too.

Will he find someone? Sure. But how long will it take for that "someone" to get up to speed and contribute? Now THAT is a question I'd like all the "experts" here to answer. .

RashanGary
12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I've very rarely go back and dig up peoples wrong statements, but when you talk to people the way retailguy does, this is needed.

the_idle_threat
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
Disagree. Completely unnecessary after RG has already made his mea culpa post.

Lurker64
12-08-2007, 11:50 AM
I think everyone on here would look like an idiot if we dredge through what they've said in the past. This is part of fandom. Being a fan you're necessarily irrational and are thus prone to make statements that are a lot more sweeping than they probably should be.

Who here hasn't said something on here that, in retrospect, was stupid. Can't we just move on?

Turns out that Thompson was right not spending the money for Green. So what? That Green's hurt doesn't help us any (in fact it hurts our standing, as we won't get as good a conditional pick, I believe.) There's really nothing to happy about in response to this news, and gloating about it is especially in poor taste.

MJZiggy
12-08-2007, 11:51 AM

And stickied it, and refused to say anything in the thread about stuff he might have gotten right. Going after the one guy who publicly changed his song when there are others who haven't isn't good.

GrnBay007
12-08-2007, 11:54 AM
gloating about it is especially in poor taste.

YEP!!

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2007, 12:08 PM
A lot of people were very unhappy with Ted Thompson for not resigning Ahman (GBR, for example). I want GBR to publicly apologize to Ted Thompson for this.
:D

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2007, 01:07 PM
very sad... He got his money

where is the sad part? he had a great career capped with a big payday. If he does a good rehab job, he'll be able to dominate in beach volleyball between mai tai's.

HarveyWallbangers
12-08-2007, 01:14 PM
Way to take his quote out of context. I doubt he's saying very sad that Ahman got his money. He's saying very sad that he got hurt. He went on to say that Ahman got his money, he likes the guy, and was rooting for him. Then, he wrote that he hopes he makes a recovery. Drama Queen.

Harlan Huckleby
12-08-2007, 01:24 PM
I was not making the connection that you made, and was in no way criticizing or disagreeing with the original poster. Just adding another way of looking at situation.

Any drama was raised by you. What a dick.

packers11
12-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Way to take his quote out of context. I doubt he's saying very sad that Ahman got his money. He's saying very sad that he got hurt. He went on to say that Ahman got his money, he likes the guy, and was rooting for him. Then, he wrote that he hopes he makes a recovery.

Thank you for clearing my statement up :lol:

RashanGary
12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
With the goal of winning games in mind, it's nice to have a GM who seems to have a very solid understanding of the risk/reward balance in the NFL. That is the big problem with the overzealous attitudes here. They see the potential reward, but they never weigh the risk. Statistics is one area of math that I would not consider myself fluent in, so I can't go all math guru here, but I do think there is a very obvious relationship between risk and reward that should be obvious to any sharp anylitical mind even in the absence of formal education. I think the odds of being successfull greatly increases if you take 10 shots vs one shot. The more $$ per shot, the fewer shots. It's further complicated because the worth of a player is subjective. You can't just plug Player A's worth and cost into a formula and compare it to the combined success probability of Player's B through E. You have to first be able to attach a somewhat reliable gauge to each players worth. That is all subjective, unreliable and based on many, many, many surrounding circumstances. Nobody knows if RB A is great or if Oline A and QB A were really making him look better. Nobody knows if RB B sucks or if he was studying hard at Notre Dame to get his degree and wasn't as committed to football. Nobody can predict injuries. It's very, very, very, very complicated by my estimation. None of us really have a grasp of what works and why. The conclusion I come to is that more shots is better than fewer becuase it's so uncertain.

With that said, Sherman seemed to believe he could prepare hard enough and search long enough to find teh players he needed. He thought each year he could patch it up and make it work by finding the guys who were good. He didn't realize that finding the guys who are good is impossible to do at a high clip and the chacnes of injury increase the older a player gets. Also, just how good a player is can be greatly skewed by the players around each player. Edge James for exampel seems like a product of a very good situation in Indy and was not the same in the Arizona. Ultimately, you're spending a shit load of money on a chance that things work out. Thompson on the other hand designs his plan knowing that he doesn't know the future. He'd rather take more chances than blow his wad on one chance.

Ulitmately, I think Thompson is better prepared to make judgements on a players projected worth and better at it but at the same time, he knows he's not perfect. He knows the mistakes that happen because he's seen them happen in the draft room. He knows that he doesn't know, but he also has ideas of what to look for. He's not only better at finding talent than Sherman, but he's also more humble about what he knows so his whole approach is set up in a way that accounts for inevitable error. We're lucky to have Ted Thompson and we were unlucky to have Mike Sherman. I wished the best for Green, but there is an ongoing debate that this situaiton applys to, the Ted Thompson debate. That's why this is relevant IMO.

I don't think I have the answer, but by not knowing the answer, I think I'm closer to right than the person who thinks he has it. It's like a Physics problem. Some people just can't get it now matter how hard they try. It will never happen for them. That is what his happening here. There are a bunch of people who don't get it, have no idea and will never get it. One of those guys was the GM of this team not to long ago. Some here are polite and decent, but the ones who are sarcastic, rude and stupid all in one deserve to be called out. The ones who sit with their arms crossed on the sideline cold and bitter deserve to be fired and talked about on the radio and internet. That's how it works. If you don't get it, admit it or shut up because this is what happnes to the loud and ignorant.

Partial
12-08-2007, 03:24 PM

And stickied it, and refused to say anything in the thread about stuff he might have gotten right. Going after the one guy who publicly changed his song when there are others who haven't isn't good.

Where and when was this?

Cheesehead Craig
12-08-2007, 03:30 PM

Where and when was this?
Here's the link:

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=9834&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It was stickied at the time, but it seems to no longer be a sticky. As of right now, it's on page 4 of the Packers discussion.

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 03:33 PM
Where and when was this?

I was asking myself the same thing. I have no recollection of it.

Rastak
12-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Where and when was this?

I was asking myself the same thing. I have no recollection of it.

It was there for a week or two.

Partial
12-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Why can I not respond in that thread? I go to post reply and it takes me to the forum index. How did I miss this thread?!? I am on here more than anyone :lol:

Tarlam!
12-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Why can I not respond in that thread?

Worked fine for me...

Scott Campbell
12-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Ahman might be too beat up for his inflated Houston salary. But if he can recover, he might make a very interesting 3rd down option at the veterans minimum.

Merlin
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Thompson was right not to counter the Texan's offer to Green. Ahman is a great running back when healthy but he hasn't been too healthy the past three years. Green got a great payday and I suspect he isn't done yet in the NFL. Thompson may take a shot at him for depth since Grant is the only RB we have that has stayed on the field for any length of time. Green has proven through the years that he can work well in a multi back system and at his age, it may be a good fit for him. We don't know what Thompson will do. Chances are he will either keep with the idea that Jackson, Wynn and Morency are it or he will draft another RB or two. Personally, I am all for giving Morency another shot because when he is healthy he is a good back. Jackson and Wynn? They don't impress me at all.

As far as gloating over what someone said or taking part of what they said and twisting it for your own personal vendetta, I think there has been far too much of that in here. Also, to personally attack another poster is just childish. The name calling, the intentional misinterpretation of what was written, all for your own ego, has to stop. In the "real" world, people are allowed their opinions whether you like them or not. If you don't like what someone has to say, either use a respectful rebuttal without the name calling or just don't read what they post. If you think your shit doesn't stink I suggest you take a whiff the next time worship the throne.

cheesner
12-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Thompson was right not to counter the Texan's offer to Green. Ahman is a great running back when healthy but he hasn't been too healthy the past three years. Green got a great payday and I suspect he isn't done yet in the NFL. Thompson may take a shot at him for depth since Grant is the only RB we have that has stayed on the field for any length of time. Green has proven through the years that he can work well in a multi back system and at his age, it may be a good fit for him. We don't know what Thompson will do. Chances are he will either keep with the idea that Jackson, Wynn and Morency are it or he will draft another RB or two. Personally, I am all for giving Morency another shot because when he is healthy he is a good back. Jackson and Wynn? They don't impress me at all.

As far as gloating over what someone said or taking part of what they said and twisting it for your own personal vendetta, I think there has been far too much of that in here. Also, to personally attack another poster is just childish. The name calling, the intentional misinterpretation of what was written, all for your own ego, has to stop. In the "real" world, people are allowed their opinions whether you like them or not. If you don't like what someone has to say, either use a respectful rebuttal without the name calling or just don't read what they post. If you think your shit doesn't stink I suggest you take a whiff the next time worship the throne.Right.

I might have a little respect for this post and the inappropriateness of personal attacks, if it didn't come from a poster who has chosen to personally attack TT at every opportunity.

Fritz
12-09-2007, 09:15 AM
I think my temptation to point out how awful Green's contract from the Texans looks in retrospect stems from the unreasonable (to me) bitterness so many people displayed toward TT as he chose to sign (or not sign) certain players. I don't mind disagreements, in fact, I like the discussion. But the attacks on TT were vitriolic and shrill, and that bothered me greatly. It didn't seem to be enough for people to not agree with TT's moves, or to criticize the job he was doing. The guy was sometimes painted as some kind of Satan, like he was deliberately wrecking the team so he could make it "his." And that whole thing about trying to force Favre into retirement because TT was jealous and needed to make the team his and only his...well, come on. So it is tempting to want to throw this kind of thing back in some people's faces.

However, in the case of Mr. RetailGuy, he did start this whole thread in which he owned up to the error of his ways. It was a very admirable thing to do, and my respect levels for him have skyrocketed.

As for Ahman, I was in favor of re-signing him for a two-year deal, but from what I'd read at the time, the Texans' deal was way, way high, given Green's age and injury history. So I was okay with TT not trying to top that.

The Leaper
12-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Honestly...why would ANYONE want Green back?

He's an injury waiting to happen. He's got no future. He can't help on special teams.

We could find a far more useful 3rd down back...either in the draft or free agency. Morency and Jackson have potential to develop into solid backs in that capacity as well.

I'd love to see Green sign and retire as a Packer. I highly doubt Thompson would seriously consider bringing him back to fight for a spot as a 3rd down back. Grant is the near future at RB for the Packers.

cpk1994
12-09-2007, 05:23 PM
Honestly...why would ANYONE want Green back?

Ask Woody. :D

GBRulz
12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
A lot of people were very unhappy with Ted Thompson for not resigning Ahman (GBR, for example). I want GBR to publicly apologize to Ted Thompson for this.

Already done that in a few crow eating threads, in fact I think I even promised never to think about slashing his tires again, either. Na, that one might be a stretch :lol:

JH - we'd be here for weeks if we starting pulling every stupid statement that ever came out of your mouth. The only difference is that yours would never stop. Totally classless to post what you did.

Rastak
12-09-2007, 05:44 PM

Already done that in a few crow eating threads, in fact I think I even promised never to think about slashing his tires again, either. Na, that one might be a stretch :lol:

JH - we'd be here for weeks if we starting pulling every stupid statement that ever came out of your mouth. The only difference is that yours would never stop. Totally classless to post what you did.

Weeks? Years GBM.

Bretsky
12-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Rastak,

What the H happened to AP today ? Shutout in PR playoffs; I'll be one and done after today. My opponent didn't score well but after a long string of many good weeks my guys were even worse today

GBRulz
12-09-2007, 05:50 PM
my bad, you're right, Ras :oops:

Rastak
12-09-2007, 05:54 PM
Rastak,

What the H happened to AP today ? Shutout in PR playoffs; I'll be one and done after today. My opponent didn't score well but after a long string of many good weeks my guys were even worse today

Not sure but the 9ers seem to be playing the run. Vikes were throwing the ball more than I expected.

Scott Campbell
12-09-2007, 06:19 PM
I don't mind disagreements, in fact, I like the discussion. But the attacks on TT were vitriolic and shrill, and that bothered me greatly. It didn't seem to be enough for people to not agree with TT's moves, or to criticize the job he was doing. The guy was sometimes painted as some kind of Satan, like he was deliberately wrecking the team so he could make it "his." And that whole thing about trying to force Favre into retirement because TT was jealous and needed to make the team his and only his...well, come on. So it is tempting to want to throw this kind of thing back in some people's faces.

Thompson's a public figure, and open to public critisism. Some of it reached ridiculous levels - in my opinion. But Ted's a big boy, and I'm sure he knew what he was signing up for when he took the gig. And while I disagreed with much of the critisism, I didn't think the critisism alone really crossed the line from a forum behavior standpoint. And on the surface, there certainly seemed to be plenty of reasons to be a Doubting Thompson.

The stuff that bothered me was when some called other posters stupid, blind or lacking of football IQ just for supporting the guy. Some of it went so far as to ridicule those who even dared to hope that things might turn out. Some cocky buggers denied the mere possibility of success. That's the stuff that I think crosses the line. Now I'd be the last guy to hold myself up as the gold standard for forum behavior. But even I try to conform to some standards.