OAK 4th RUN; GB 12th VS. RUN
OAK 30th PASS; GB 23rd VS. PASS
OAK 21st PTS; GB 6th PTS ALLOWED
GB 3rd OFF; OAK 19th DEF
GB 30th RUN; OAK 30th VS. RUN
GB 2nd PASS; OAK 5th VS. PASS
GB 5th PTS; OAK 17th PTS ALLOWED
OAK 21st TO/TA; GB 11th TO/TA

OAK RB Justin Fargas has rushed for 285 yards in the last two games.
OAK QB JaMarcus Russell made his debut last week vs. DEN, and went 4-of-7 for 56 yards.
OAK has held opponent to under 108 yards rushing just 3 times this season.
GB QB Aaron Rodgers was 18-for-26 with 201 yards and 1 TD — the first of his career — in relief of Brett Favre last week vs. DAL.
GB RB Ryan Grant has rushed for at least 88 yards in 5 of the last 6 games.

GB QB Brett Favre has passed for more than 325 yards in 4 of the last 6 games.

motife
12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Rookie of the Year Meter

Supermen in the middle

By Matt Sohn
Dec. 4, 2007

Much like quarterbacks on offense, middle linebackers are the heart of the defense. They call out the signals and adjust the pre-snap alignment. Not surprisingly, it has traditionally taken a few years for them to make their mark on the league.

Well, the current generation of middle men seems to have circumvented the learning curve. In 2005, it was Lofa Tatupu who took the league by storm, despite the fact that most believed the Seahawks reached for him in the second round. In 2006, it was DeMeco Ryans becoming an instant hit for the Texans. This year, a rookie trio is subjecting opposing ballcarriers to weekly brutality. Patrick Willis, David Harris and Jonathan Beason are all legitimate Pro Bowl considerations playing for teams trudging through the motions of disappointing seasons. With Adrian Peterson looking like a near-lock to secure Offensive Rookie of the Year honors, the fight between the three enforcers in the middle for DROY honors is one that will likely go down to the wire.

1. 49ers LB Patrick Willis
Season stats (12 games): 128 tackles, one sack, one forced fumble
Week 13 stats: 18 tackles
Last week’s ranking: 1
Stock: Rising
Now that’s how to make your presence known. Willis recorded his second consecutive 18-tackle performance Sunday, punishing any Panther with the audacity to enter his domain. However, he did miss a couple tackles and could stand to play a little more disciplined. Yeah, we’re reduced to nitpicking when it comes to Willis.

2. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson
Season stats (10 games): 184 carries for 1,197 yards and 10 touchdowns, 16 receptions for 230 yards and one touchdown, three lost fumbles
Week 13 stats: 15 carries for 116 yards and two touchdowns, one reception for 10 yards
Last week’s ranking: 2
Is there any team playing better than the Vikings right now? In his first game back from his sprained knee, Peterson gashed the Lions' defense like he hadn’t missed any time at all. Now that Tarvaris Jackson is putting together some semblance of a passing attack, Peterson will only see more lanes open up.

3. Jets LB David Harris
Season stats (12 games): 91 tackles, three sacks, one forced fumble
Week 13 stats: eight tackles, one sack, one forced fumble
Last week’s ranking: 5
In the matchup between the defensive rookies of the Jets and the offensive rookies of the Dolphins, the decisive edge goes to the Jets. Dolphins RB Lorenzo Booker and C Samson Satele were both solid, but QB John Beck and WR Ted Ginn Jr. did next to nothing. Meanwhile, Harris and fellow standout Darrelle Revis were phenomenal. Harris’ strip-sack of Beck — and subsequent fumble recovery — was a thing of beauty.

4. Panthers LB Jonathan Beason
Season stats (12 games): 98 tackles, one interception
Week 13 stats: seven tackles, one interception
Last week’s ranking: 4
Stock: Steady
Finally, Beason was able to celebrate one of his customary dominating performances the proper way, courtesy of his team stepping up enough to provide the Panthers with their first home win in over a year — amazing, but true.

5. Browns OT Joe Thomas
Last week’s ranking: 3
Is it possible that Thomas, in just his first season, has emerged as the best offensive tackle in the league? It’s very possible. So why is he just fifth on this list? Not to take anything away from his outstanding rookie campaign, but this season has been hard on the big bookends. All-time greats like Orlando Pace and Jonathan Ogden fell victim to injuries, Walter Jones has clearly lost a step to age, etc. Cleveland has got itself a keeper.

6. Jets CB Darrelle Revis
Season stats (12 games): 72 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble
Week 13 stats: four tackles, one interception
Last week’s ranking: 7
Round One of Revis vs. Ginn went to Revis (Ginn hardly played the first time these two squared off). This is going to be a fun rivalry to keep an eye on in the years to come.

7. Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe
Season stats (12 games): 54 receptions for 786 yards and four touchdowns
Week 13 stats: five receptions for 55 yards
Last week’s ranking: 6
Given all the turmoil going on at the quarterback position, Bowe’s doing about as well as can be expected. Antonio Cromartie is one of the few cornerbacks in the league that match up with Bowe from a size-speed ratio, and the LSU product still snared five catches. With a little more competency under center, there’s no telling what heights he can reach.

8. Redskins S LaRon Landry
Season stats (12 games): 78 tackles, 1½ sacks
Week 13 stats: eight tackles
Last week’s ranking: Honorable mention
We’re not even going to pretend to understand the type of emotional baggage Landry was playing with. Despite the fact that Landry had played with Sean Taylor in previous games when Taylor was out with a knee sprain, he had no way of preparing for the type of void he dealt with Sunday. Three cheers for coming up with eight tackles.

9. Jaguars S Reggie Nelson
Season stats (12 games): 50 tackles, four interceptions, one sack, one forced fumble
Week 13 stats: one tackle, one interception
Last week’s ranking: 8
Nelson’s pick of Peyton Manning kept the Jags in the game, but Nelson did little else in the Colts-Jaguars grudge match. He’s still a wiry fellow who can stand to pack on some pounds in the offseason. He’s getting bested on plays he should make.

10. Dolphins C Samson Satele
Last week’s ranking: Honorable mention
Satele doesn’t play a sexy position. His team is one of the worst in league history. But he has played well. At times, very well. Before the season ends, here’s one play that would be great to see: Beck takes the snap from Satele, fakes the handoff to Booker and hits Ginn on a home-run ball to the endzone. Maybe that would give a despondent Miami fan base some hope for the future.

Honorable mention (In no particular order)

Texans DT Amobi Okoye: So much for Okoye stepping up more than Mario Williams.

Buccaneers S Tanard Jackson: Reminiscent of a young Brian Dawkins.

Giants CB Aaron Ross: Giants need him healthy for the stretch run.

Vikings WR Sidney Rice: Coming on very strong in recent weeks.

Bears TE Greg Olsen: The most productive rookie tight end. Season stat line: 31 receptions, 315 yards and two touchdowns.

Raiders TE Zach Miller: 31 catches, 313 yards and two touchdowns.

Colts DT Ed Johnson: Unlike his name, his play is anything but ordinary.

Bills RB Marshawn Lynch: Buffalo’s playoff chances hinge on his ankle’s health.

Lions WR Calvin Johnson: After all the hype, we expected more.

Packers WR James Jones: Greg Jennings and Jones will form a potent duo in years to come.

Best of the rest (In no particular order)

Ravens OG Ben Grubbs
Chargers S Eric Weddle
Buccaneers OG Arron Sears
Broncos RB Selvin Young
Rams DT Adam Carriker
Vikings DE Brian Robison
Cowboys PK Nick Folk
Bengals CB Leon Hall
Lions S Gerald Alexander
Bills QB Trent Edwards

motife
12-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Week 13 MVP Meter

Where’s the love for the defensive players?

By Eric Edholm
Dec. 4, 2007

A very smart fan and PFW reader by the name of Roy used to write us a few years back with a very logical complaint: Our Rookie Meter was devoid, to his dismay, of offensive linemen. And he was quite vigilant to observe our would-be omission. Turns out, it was just a bad rookie crop of blockers; any other year, he likely would be right.

But Roy raised a point for the Rookie Meter that could be applied to the MVP Meter. As in, where the heck are the defensive players? Well, a good question. The not-so-easy answer: There are few who have stood out that much this season, especially statistically.

Granted, Antonio Cromartie’s eight interceptions are a tremendous total, especially considering he only has started four games. And there are 14 players with at least nine sacks through 12 games, including six with double digits. Heck, 49ers ILB Patrick Willis is on pace for 170 tackles, and that’s by the league’s count — you can bet the team will credit him with more than 200 by season’s end.

But no one is having a season like the ones turned in by Jason Taylor or Shawne Merriman last season. Taylor's 13½ sacks, 10 passes defended, two interceptions (both returned for TDs), nine forced fumbles and two recoveries boggle the mind. The fact that Merriman’s 17 sacks, 62 tackles, eight passes defended and four forced fumbles came only in 12 games is beyond comparison.

This year, the closest statistical marvel to those players might be Steelers LB James Harrison and his 75 tackles, 8½ sacks, seven forced fumbles, three recoveries, four passes defended and one interception. And right behind him might be Seahawks OLB Julian Peterson: 61 tackles, nine sacks, four forced fumbles, two interceptions, one fumble recovery and five passes defended.

Of course, numbers aren’t everything. Just look at Titans DT Albert Haynesworth, whom we talked about last week. In the three games he missed, the Titans allowed an average of 160 rushing yards and 4.5 yards per carry. In the games he has played, those averages are 71.8 and 3.6. Can any other player boast such a disparity? Of course, therein lies the problem: Haynesworth never will win the award for playing less than a full season and playing a position that doesn’t rack up big numbers.

He’ll have to settle for a trip to the Pro Bowl and a monster payoff as perhaps the biggest defensive free agent on the market.

And readers here will have to settle with an MVP list that doesn’t have a bunch of defensive players. Such is life.

1. Patriots QB Tom Brady — There were some drops, at least four. But that would have made him, what, 22-of-38 or something like that?

2. Cowboys QB Tony Romo — T.O.’s endzone drop not only cost Romo a TD but gave him an interception.

3. Colts QB Peyton Manning — Big wins keep him up the list.

4. Packers QB Brett Favre — The game plan had flaws, but Favre missed a few throws, too.

5. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger — Honing his leadership skills that were absent last season.

6. Patriots WR Randy Moss — Admitted he was nervous by game’s end.

7. Cowboys WR Terrell Owens — Despite the drop, he beat up the Packers.

8. Vikings RB Adrian Peterson — Might enter next season as a top-three favorite, especially if he can get his team in the playoffs.

9. Eagles RB Brian Westbrook — Still manages to roll along with a nightmare game for A.J. Feeley.

10. Jaguars QB David Garrard — His interception was on the receiver, but the fumble was on Garrard.

Others worth mentioning: Titans DT Albert Haynesworth, Steelers LB James Harrison, Seahawks OLB Julian Peterson, Colts S Bob Sanders, Packers DE Aaron Kampman, Patriots CB Asante Samuel, Chiefs DE Jared Allen, Browns WR Braylon Edwards, Seahawks QB Matt Hasselbeck, Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald, Patriots WR Wes Welker, Colts RB Joseph Addai, Browns QB Derek Anderson, Ravens RB Willis McGahee.

motife
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
TOP 5 NFL Cornerbacks
Bailey still best at baiting quarterbacks
By Mike Wilkening
Dec. 6, 2007

Through 13 weeks, 36 interceptions have been returned for TDs. If that seems like a staggering number, consider that on a per-week basis, that averages to 2.77 interceptions returned for scores and was a slightly lower rate of returns per week than ’06, when 49 interceptions were taken back for TDs (2.88 per week). Nonetheless, the so-called “pick six” has been a much-talked-about topic of late. So, we asked a panel of executives, scouts and coaches for their opinions on the cornerbacks most adept at baiting quarterbacks into poor throws. Respondents participated on condition on anonymity.

1. Champ Bailey | Broncos — “He is really good at that,” one veteran defensive coach said. “… Having speed helps, because to bait, you have to hold position and gain ground. But you also have to have a great feel (for the game). Great cornerbacks, like quarterbacks, have a clock in their head.”

2. Nate Clements | 49ers — The former Bill was mentioned frequently by our panel. “He’s stronger, quicker and more explosive than people think,” one evaluator said. “He’s smart — and tough.” The evaluator said that Clements’ second season in San Francisco could be much better than his first once Clements, who has good study habits, learns the personnel in the NFC West.

3. Asante Samuel | Patriots — “He might be the best out there right now,” said one respondent, who is impressed with Samuels’ change-of-direction skills and soft hands that snagged 10 interceptions last season.

4. Ronde Barber | Buccaneers — Still held in very high regard because of his ability to make game-changing plays in the Bucs’ vaunted cover-2 scheme. One personnel man noted that baiting the quarterback is more prevalent in zone schemes because of a defensive back’s ability to more easily disguise his intentions.

5. Nnamdi Asomugha | Raiders — A respondent who has seen Asomugha in person came away impressed with his skill set and wonders how much publicity — and how many more interceptions — he might get on a better team.

motife
12-08-2007, 02:18 PM
Editors rate the teams heading into Week 14

Dec. 4, 2007

Editors disagreed most with where to rank Detroit (high vote of 14th, low of 21st), Seattle (high of sixth, low of 10th) and New Orleans (high of 14th, low of 22nd). That makes the middle a little, er, muddled, but it’s clear that teams such as Minnesota and Arizona are on the rise.

1. New England Patriots
Bet Brady wasn’t thrilled to have his cadence heard well on TV in Week 12.

2. Dallas Cowboys
They’ve allowed more points than the 4-8 Chiefs.

3. Indianapolis Colts
Seventh straight game they’ve been held without a first-possession score.

4. Green Bay Packers
Aaron Rodgers can do a mean Romo impersonation.

5. Pittsburgh Steelers
Parker’s fumbling most certainly changed the late-game strategy.

6. Jacksonville Jaguars
One of these days they’ll figure out how to beat those guys in Indy.

7. Seattle Seahawks
Quiet winners of four straight with a manageable slate ahead.

8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
McCown was more up than down in the end.

9. New York Giants
They could be down to Reuben Droughns and Ahmad Bradshaw at RB.

10. San Diego Chargers
Some standout performers on defense last week.

11. Cleveland Browns
Still giving up too many points.

12. Tennessee Titans
Kyle Vanden Bosch had four “almost” sacks.

13. Minnesota Vikings
Kudos to the secondary for raising its game without Antoine Winfield.

14. Arizona Cardinals
They certainly make it interesting every week.

15. Buffalo Bills
That’s why you start Trent Edwards over J.P. Losman.

16. Detroit Lions
Adding injury to insult, Roy Williams and Boss Bailey went down.

17. Philadelphia Eagles
Guess there’s no quarterback controversy after all.

18. New Orleans Saints
To steal a friend’s line, do they know they can play two CBs — at the same time?

19. Chicago Bears
Once again, the defense has to look at itself in the mirror.

20. Houston Texans
A big game for Mario Williams.

21. Washington Redskins
Tough week to call out Joe Gibbs, but the timeout fiasco was just inexcusable.

22. Baltimore Ravens
That 0-5 mark against division foes is one big difference from 2006.

23. Denver Broncos
Never could get the run game going.

24. Carolina Panthers
Finally some offensive creativity.

25. Cincinnati Bengals
Bad teams don’t take advantage of mistakes like the Steelers made.

26. Kansas City Chiefs
Seeing Tyler Thigpen at quarterback was not a good sign.

27. Oakland Raiders
The pass defense has come along nicely.

28. New York Jets
Good to see Leon Washington used more on offense.

29. St. Louis Rams
Have to like the recent improvements.

30. Atlanta Falcons
Have to be disappointed with the lack of progress.

31. San Francisco 49ers
At least Patrick Willis (18 tackles) showed up.

32. Miami Dolphins
So who will pop the champagne when they go winless?

motife
12-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Random quotes from around the league

Compiled by Billy Wellner and Arthur Arkush
Dec. 7, 2007

Friday, Dec. 7, 2007

Falcons QB Chris Redman, quoted in the Rome News-Tribune on being named Monday night’s starting QB against the Saints after being out of the NFL the last three seasons: “It’s unbelievable. I have a chance to be on a pedestal that I never thought I would be on again, to be honest. I want to take advantage of this opportunity.” Redman went on to discuss the solid relationship with his former offensive coordinator at the University of Louisville (and current head coach of the Falcons), Bobby Petrino: “It’s great for me. I feel real relaxed back there because he’s calling plays. We have a good relationship.”

Steelers S Anthony Smith, quoted in The Associated Press about the Patriots targeting him after guaranteeing his Steelers would knock off the undefeated Patriots this Sunday in Foxborough: "For a receiver to try to come get me? If receivers come after me, I welcome it. "I hope they do. I haven't been getting a lot of action, so hopefully I get a chance to make some plays. If the receivers come after me, I welcome it."

Broncos RB Travis Henry, relieved after winning his appeal of a one-year suspension against the NFL over a failed drug test, as quoted in The Associated Press: ‘‘When this thing was all brought about, it was like I had a 1 percent chance. It’s like nobody gave me a chance. . . . There was a lot riding on it. It feels great. I’m just happy it’s over.’’ Henry went on to say: ‘‘I had faith. I prayed about it, and I left it alone.’’

Bears DE Alex Brown, disappointed after another frustrating loss Thursday night at FedEx Field against the Redskins, as quoted in the Washington Post: "People say you never think this would happen in a million years. Well, a million years came this year. Everything was bad this year. It's over. It's pretty much over. . . . You have to have pride. You can't just go out there and [fake it]. We have to keep going out and try to win. Unfortunately, we haven't done too much of that this year."

Cowboys CB Terrence Newman, responding to quotes from Lions QB Jon Kitna dating back to last year’s 39-31 Lions victory, as quoted in the Detroit Free Press: "Basically, what it boils down to is, you’ve got to watch what you say. Your mouth can’t write checks that your (backside) can’t cash. That’s what it comes down to. Everybody’s going to see those quotes. He better just hope I don’t blitz off the edge because I’ve got 15, 25, 30 – however much it would be for a fine. I’ve got that much for one fine. Revenge will be sweet definitely.” Newman went on to say: “I thought about it a little bit after he said it, and then I let it go. Then I see Detroit was on the schedule again, and I was like, ‘You know what? We go to Detroit. Kitna said all these things. We’ve got a chance to kind of put our foot in his butt.’ We’ve got to go out and do it, though. We can’t talk about it. We’ve got to be about it.”

Thursday, Dec. 6, 2007

Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs, quoted in the Chicago Sun-Times, acknowledges the difficulty in strategizing against Bears returner Devin Hester: “There is nobody in the league that has figured it out. Everybody has tried a little bit of a different game plan at different times. You have seen a little bit of everything. I have never seen this before in the NFL, kicking off out of bounds. Just saying, 'Hey, we are going to give them the ball at the 40.' … We will do the best we can to strategize and try to figure out the best way to handle him. Definitely an exceptional player. It is one of the most unusual things I have seen in the NFL, his presence and the way people try to handle him.”

Steelers FS Anthony Smith is very confident in his team’s chances to knock off the undefeated Patriots, as quoted by The Associated Press: “People keep asking me if we're ready for the Patriots. They should be asking if they're ready for us. … We're going to win. Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win.”

Lions WR Roy Williams gives rookie teammate Calvin Johnson a vote of confidence, as quoted in an interview on WDFN-AM: “… the pressure's on him, you know (Minnesota Vikings RB) Adrian Peterson is All Day and has been doing a heck of a job. And the pressure's on Calvin. And the media is saying the Lions made the wrong choice in Calvin instead of taking All Day. And I don't think so, Calvin is going to step up to the plate and make the plays he's made this year.”

Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell, quoted in the (Minneapolis-St. Paul) Star Tribune, explains his team’s 83-point explosion the past two games: “I think all the guys are getting more familiar with the little adjustments they can make. They're more comfortable with the wiggles they're allowed within this system. The West Coast system is such a structured deal. It's, 'Be here' and 'Do this.' But it still allows for the player to have a little bit of freedom in there, and I think all of the guys are starting to become more familiar and comfortable with one another in there.”

Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2007

Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin explains why RB Justin Fargas, who is on pace to rush for 1,000 yards this season, has been successful, as quoted on InsideAreaBay.com: “If you look at him, he doesn't take many negative runs, and this system is built on staying on track and hitting the holes when they're there, and not trying to do too much. A lot of guys who aren't high draft picks in this system do well because you don't necessarily need a guy who'll make those huge plays by stopping and running all the way across the field. Those are big little runners. There are some great runners who are that way, but they aren't necessarily the best guys in this system.”

49ers head coach Mike Nolan, quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle, elaborates on a first-half tirade as his team encountered a 17-0 deficit to the Panthers: “I show the players who I am. It's not like all of a sudden they said (Sunday), 'Where did this come from?' I'd kind of like to get away from that. I've had to do that a few more times than I'd like. But I think it's important they know some things are unacceptable.”

Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan, quoted in The Denver Post, defers blame from coordinator Jim Bates, whose defense has allowed a disappointing 27.4 points per game this season: “As soon as there is a little adversity, it's going to go back to the coach. We are all disappointed. We're not scoring as many points and putting the ball in the endzone. I'm disappointed in myself. It's my job to get the job done. If we don't get it done, it comes back to me. Don't worry about Bates, the offensive-line coaches or the other assistant coaches. Talk about my situation, and we'll be all right.”

Despite a disappointing 4-8 record, Chiefs head coach Herm Edwards is encouraged that so many young players are getting a chance to contribute and develop, as quoted in The Kansas City Star: “There’s some good already taking place. The development of Dwayne Bowe is an example of that. He’s a good player for us and he’s going to continue to be a good player for us. Look at Kolby Smith. He probably could have had 100 yards (against the Chargers), but we had to start throwing so much. (Tyron) Brackenridge is playing a lot for us at nickel back. He’s done a pretty good job. Our young defensive linemen (Tank Tyler and Turk McBride) are playing for us. Jeff Webb has shown some flashes. And then there’s Brodie (Croyle) when we get him back in there. We’re hoping he’s our future quarterback.”

Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2007

Redskins DT Cornelius Griffin, quoted on ChicagoSports.com regarding Sunday’s 17-16 loss to the Buffalo Bills (the Redskins memorialized the late Sean Taylor on the first play of Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills by lining up with only 10 men on defense, instead of 11. It was their way of saying that he was still on the field with them.): "Sunday was one of the toughest games of my life, actually, one of the toughest days of my life.” Griffin went on to explain how the team would deal with the grief moving forward: "We don't have a choice. Plus, we have to play for Sean. This is what he'd want."

Ravens CB Chris McAlister, criticizing the officiating in Monday night’s 27-24 loss to the 12-0 New England Patriots, as quoted on MyMotherLode.com: "It´s hard to go out there and play the Patriots and the refs at the same time. They put the crown on top of them, they want them to win. They won."

Saints QB Drew Brees, quoted on NWAnews.com regarding the struggles of RB Reggie Bush now in his second year in the league: “Reggie is a great talent. Reggie is one of the best athletes I have ever seen, but that only gets you so far. Certain fundamentals and discipline to playing this game — that is learned and that’s not something that just happens immediately.” Brees went on to say: “Reggie is still a young player in this league, and like I said, I think a young back absolutely needs mentoring in this league from a guy like Deuce (McAllister). It has been tough because (McAllister) has been hurt and isn’t here like he was last year for him. So that’s tough and I think it is just learning how to be a professional. There’s definitely a learning curve, and keep in mind the tremendous expectations for Reggie Bush from the moment he stepped foot in this league. So I think that everyone expects him to go out and just be Superman all the time and that is not the case, especially in this league.”

Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden, hopeful that QB Jeff Garcia can play Sunday at Houston (he sat out last week in the Bucs 27-23 win at New Orleans) as quoted in TheLedger.com: "We'll see how it goes. Hopefully, he can return and get a couple of good healthy practices in and we can resume. I would like to get him back practicing before (playing) a game." When asked if Gruden would consider resting Garcia one more week considering Tampa Bay possesses a commanding three-game lead in the NFC South, he responded: "No. He's a needed guy on our football team. We need to win another game. We're in the fight of our lives every Sunday, and this week will be no different. If Garcia's cleared to play, he'll play. I just want him to tell me he's ready to go, and see him move around pain-free."

Monday, Dec. 3, 2007

Chargers RB LaDainian Tomlinson pays homage to Walter Payton, whom he surpassed for third place on the all-time rushing touchdowns list, as quoted in The San Diego Union-Tribune: “You've got to understand, the whole reason I wanted to even play football was seeing him. I remember watching everything he did, even off the field, the way he talked to kids, the way he talked to people, the way he carried himself. It's definitely an honor just to be mentioned in the same breath with, in my opinion, the greatest running back that has ever played the game.”

Falcons QB Joey Harrington responds to being pulled out of the game in favor of third-stringer Chris Redman, as quoted in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution: “I guess I’m used to it by now. It’s a tough position to play from. I'll be honest, it's a tough position to play from, not knowing what's going to get you taken out of the game. My job is to play for this team and I'm going to continue to do that. I'm extremely happy for Chris, who got a chance to go in there and show everybody that he's a heck of a player.”

Panthers QB Vinny Testaverde attributes a 31-14 victory over the 49ers to the team’s relaxed approach, as quoted by The Associated Press: “Last night, coach (John) Fox mentioned to the team, ‘Hey just go out and have fun.’ We’ve pressed too hard and we’ve made too many mistakes. Not that today was perfect, but it seemed like guys were having fun and making plays.”

After a 17-16 victory over the Redskins, Bills head coach Dick Jauron comments on a game played under difficult circumstances, as quoted in The Buffalo News: “It was a very emotional day for everybody, I’m sure more so for them. But we had a number of players on our squad who were very close to Sean (Taylor). I thought both teams played hard, and that honored him. It was unfortunate one of those teams had to lose on this day.”

motife
12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
NFL Scout reviews Week 12 games
Winning ugly Seahawks make plays when they need them in win over Philly
By Nolan Nawrocki
Dec. 3, 2007

Shaun Alexander is aged and ailing. OLT Walter Jones is clearly on the decline. And veteran defensive leader Chuck Darby is out for the season. The Seahawks are not dominating anyone, but they keep marching on, battered and bruised, finding ways to win.

The defense has not been especially stout, and Eagles RB Brian Westbrook left the Seahawks diving and grasping for air all day long. Collectively, they missed a lot of tackles. But when they have needed big plays lately, they have been making them.

Perhaps none were bigger than their goal-line stand on fourth down with seven seconds left before the half when DT Rocky Bernard penetrated into the backfield and tripped up Westbrook to maintain a 21-17 lead and prevent the Eagles from gaining momentum heading into the locker room.

Or when MLB Lofa Tatupu erased Westbrook’s 64-yard punt return by picking off his third pass of the day in the endzone as the Eagles were about to take the lead.

The week before, it was another goal-line stand on the four-yard line that resulted in Rams QB Gus Frerotte fumbling on 4th-and-1 with 30 seconds remaining that sealed the game.

And the week prior, it was DE Patrick Kerney stripping the ball away from Rex Grossman with Chicago in position to tie the game late in the fourth quarter.

The Seahawks started the season 4-4, dropping two games to the Cardinals and Browns by a field goal and struggling to close out games. The past four weeks, they are 4-0 heading into the final quarter of the season, with Arizona, Carolina, Baltimore and Atlanta remaining on the schedule, none of which possesses a winning record.

The football gods have been on the Seahawks' side, as they have faced A.J. Feeley, Gus Frerotte and Rex Grossman all coming off the bench in previous weeks and should see much of the same the rest of the way, potentially facing the likes of Kurt Warner, Vinny Testaverde, Kyle Boller and Chris Redman.

Carolina has been awful at home, Baltimore’s wheels have fallen off as they have lost their last five and counting, and Atlanta’s offense has been awful with no stability at quarterback or receiver. The only apparent roadblock to closing the second half of the season 8-0 heading into the playoffs is a hungry Cardinals squad with a 6-6 record that's fighting for control of the NFC West.

One of the biggest problems young and inexperienced quarterbacks have is seeing under coverage and being aware of the linebacker manning the short hole. Philadelphia QB A.J. Feeley has been in the league eight years, but he started only his 15th game last week and clearly could use work in this area, not seeing Seahawks MLB Lofa Tatupu three times as Tatupu clearly was bird-dogging his intended target. Feeley failed to look defenders off and disguise where he was throwing.

Very seldom does a rookie quarterback come into the league and set it afire, especially with a slow-footed offensive line. And it would be unfair to make an evaluation of Dolphins QB John Beck after starting only his second game of the season with the lack of protection he has received. But with each passing week, it appears the chances of the Dolphins targeting a quarterback with their first overall pick in 2008 are becoming more likely. Beck, who threw three interceptions and lost two of three fumbles, accounted for five turnovers vs. the Jets.

Jets RB Leon Washington, a fourth-round pick in 2006, has really turned out to be steal for the Jets. He’s both fast and quick, is strong for his size and is proving to be more than a change-of-pace back and kickoff returner.

The Vikings' rookie draft class continues to outshine all others, as Adrian Peterson returned this week and showed his explosive form, wisely running around defenders more than running over them. He shook Lions S Kenoy Kennedy out of his jock in the open field on his second TD run of the day, looking like the same Peterson pre-injury despite wearing a heavy knee brace. WR Sidney Rice caught a TD pass. Aundrae Allison returned a kick for a score, and CB Marcus McCauley was aggressive in run support.

Peterson would be special without a great line, but against the Lions, there were times he had holes the size of a truck to run through. The Vikings’ left side of the line, featuring OLT Bryant McKinnie and OLG Steve Hutchinson, is a dominant run-blocking duo.

Bengals LB Landon Johnson, the only Cincinnati linebacker to stay healthy this season, has been superb at times, as he was when he perfectly read a Willie Parker draw, squared up in the open field and unloaded on Parker, jarring the ball loose. The fumble was overturned as a result of the ground causing it, but it did not diminish a textbook tackle.

A key play in the Colts-Jaguars contest came in the third quarter when the Jaguars subbed in rookie DT Derek Landri on a 3rd-and-1 situation inside the 10-yard line. Manning, keen to Jacksonville having 12 men on the field, quickly called a run off tackle that drew a flag, but even better, he caught the Jaguars out of position and the Colts were able to run to the one-yard-line, allowing them to decline the penalty. The Jaguars wound up losing by three points. Had they been able to keep the Colts out of the endzone on that possession, they may have won.

Chargers OLB Shawne Merriman had his way most of the day with the Chiefs’ offensive line. On his first sack Sunday, he stunted inside and split OLG Brian Waters and OLT Damion McIntosh. Waters got a piece of Merriman but could only redirect him, and McIntosh had no chance, overextending, getting his feet tangled and appearing to reinjure his knee. After McIntosh came out, the overchallenged Will Svitek, a converted defensive lineman from Stanford, was no match for the Chargers’ fierce front. He gave undrafted free agent Jyles Tucker, who was just activated to the roster last week, a free lane to the quarterback after Tucker spun around him, and on the next play he was overpowered by Merriman for another sack.

Pittsburgh NT Casey Hampton plays with such great strength and leverage that he routinely walked Cincinnati C Eric Ghiaciuc back to the quarterback.

There may be no better guard in football at pulling and playing in space than Giants OG Chris Snee, and he was key to RB Derrick Ward’s career-best 154-yard rushing effort Sunday, repeatedly getting out in space and frustrating the Bears' linebackers.

The Bears showed the league they were for real last season when they went into the Meadowlands and knocked off the Giants on a featured Sunday-night game in Week 10. This season, stringing together back-to-back wins for the first time all year would have done more not only for the Bears’ confidence but for what may now be an unsalvageable season. The Saints, like the Bears, were well-positioned to earn a wild-card berth if they could show some consistency down the stretch, but they struggled to generate much offense vs. Tampa Bay and, like the Bears, now sit at 5-7, needing to win out the rest of the season to have any chance of backing into the final NFC wild-card slot. One of these two teams definitely will not make it, however, as the Bears host New Orleans in their season finale.

Bears DE Adewale Ogunleye has been playing like an All-Pro, notching his fourth and fifth forced fumbles in the past four weeks on consecutive drives in the third quarter, stripping the ball from Derrick Ward. Rams S O.J. Atogwe has picked off passes in each of the past four games, showing great balance on the return. Texans rookie CB Fred Bennett, since replacing the injured Dunta Robinson in the starting lineup a month ago, has notched three picks.

Texans QB Matt Schaub was forced to leave Sunday's game after ORT Eric Winston set softly and lunged at Titans DLE Antwan Odom, who swam around Winston's short-armed reach, ran right by him and tracked Schaub down from behind, driving Schaub's right shoulder into the turf. Ron Dayne did nothing to help as he was releasing out of the backfield, showing no awareness to chip Odom after he had clearly beaten Winston.

Outside of failing to throw the ball away on several occasions, including late in the game when he wound up taking a sack for a safety, Tampa Bay third-year QB Luke McCown turned in an exceptional effort vs. the Saints, even leading the Bucs on their game-winning drive. He looked poised in the pocket, showed great accuracy, got rid of the ball quickly and easily got into a rhythm. His play-action fakes were so crisp, he faked out the cameraman on his first TD pass in the second quarter.

b bulldog
12-08-2007, 11:59 PM
Crable will be much like Harris.