PDA

View Full Version : Packers' Mason Crosby kicks up win of a lifetime

Tarlam!
12-09-2007, 05:07 AM
Posted December 9, 2007

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071209/GPG04/712090713/0/PKR01

By Thomas Rozwadowski
trozwado@greenbaypressgazette.com

Forget about being named NFC Special Teams Player of the Month for November or being tied for the NFL scoring lead with 107 points.

Mason Crosby landed a bigger prize last week. The rookie kicker is engaged.

"Maybe the ladies won't read this (feature) as much now," Crosby said with a laugh.

Crosby took advantage of four days off following the Dallas Cowboys game on Nov. 29 to set up an elaborate proposal in the mountains overlooking Boulder, Colo. But while driving to Chautauqua Park with his soon-to-be fiancé, Molly Ackerman, he ran into a problem that befalls most men leading to the emotional moment.

"I couldn't talk," Crosby said. "We were driving up there, and she had no clue. She was glad I could come to visit, that it was spur of the moment. But as we kept going, I think she knew something was up because we're usually talking, having a good time, feeling really comfortable. But the whole drive there, I was just giving her short answers, nodding, "mmm, hmm," you know, just trying to get through the build-up to the moment.

"Finally, it happened, and it was just awesome. That area means a lot to us because we spent so much time in Boulder. I got down on one knee and asked her. She thought I was kidding and said, "That's a mean joke," and I'm like, "No. This is serious!"

Crosby met Ackerman while he was a sophomore at the University of Colorado. A cheerleader who'll be graduating in May, she's used to watching him play — though, like Crosby, she'll have to adjust to calling Green Bay home.

"She was here for the Carolina game and loved it," he said. "I told her that the temperature was like, minus-3 degrees (Thursday) and she said, 'Oh man, I'll have to buy some new clothes.' But she's from Glenwood Springs, in the mountains, so she should be used to (cold, snowy weather.) She's a people-person, too, and she thought everybody was so nice when she was up here. She was friends with everyone by the time she left."

As for how long Crosby knew he wanted to make the leap: "I kept telling her that it felt like I was waiting 23 years for that moment." The couple set a date for summer in Ackerman's hometown.

"It was weird because I went to look at rings, and I thought to myself, if you feel any doubts or anything … but nothing. I knew it was right. It's just one of those things where you can't help but feel really lucky about how it all happened."

Partial
12-09-2007, 08:34 AM
'atta boy Crosby