PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Dominate?

Fred's Slacks
12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I was watching the Sports Reporters this morning and they all agreed that the Cowboys have an easy path to the Super Bowl. Mike Lupica even said they would win it. They all talked about how the Cowboys are the most complete team in the League and how no one in the conference was close to their level.

I should be happy that we're flying under the radar, but I can't help but feel pissed off that they don't even acknowledge Green Bay as a contender. They must really think we're as bad as we played last week. They must not realize that we were short handed and played our worst game of the year. All that and we were still within 10 points of the "dominate" team in the conference.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I think they are the best in the league at the moment. I see nobody in the NFC beating the rest of the way.

Fred's Slacks
12-09-2007, 09:41 AM
I think they are the best in the league at the moment. I see nobody in the NFC beating the rest of the way.

I agree, they should be considered the best. But they make it seem like Dallas won't break a sweat getting to the Super Bowl. Like they just tossed us aside last week.

Fritz
12-09-2007, 09:45 AM
It's way too early to even think about. If it was all so certain nobody'd be bothered to watch the actual games.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Nothing is ever certain but Dallas is better than GB. hATE TO SAY IT FOLKS BUT THEY ARE THE BETTER TEAM.

RashanGary
12-09-2007, 10:27 AM
I think they are better too. We'll find out who's healthier in January though. A couple key injuries to any team and it's a whole different playing field.

The Packers could win if both teams are healthy. The Packers should win if the Cowboys are missing a key offensive player or defensive player and the Packers are 100% healthy (except Jolly of course)

gbgary
12-09-2007, 10:41 AM
dallas is the better team but not by much. if we're 99% healthy and the coach doesn't have another brain-lock we could beat them if we see them again.

Fred's Slacks
12-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Everyone seems to be missing the point. I completely understand why Dallas is considered the better team. What I don't understand is why people think they're going to waltz into the super bowl without any challengers. If I'm on the Green Bay roster, I'm offended that everyone has written us off already when I feel like we left a win on the field in Dallas. Despite the injuries and the bad calls, we were still a couple key mental mistakes away from pulling off the upset.

Dallas is the favorite, as they should be, but I like to think we can still challenge them based on the game last week. The lack of respect for this team is what bothered me. But, like I said, its also nice to fly under the radar.

RashanGary
12-09-2007, 10:53 AM
There were what? 4 deep balls?

The first was to Jones and he had it if he didn't over throw it. Can't blame the coach for that, it was just a missed throw by the QB.

The 2nd was to Driver. He had Newman beat off the snap, but Newman is a great corner he just made a great play. The decision wasn't horrible because it wasn't into double coverage. He had a shot. No fault there, not to McCarthy because it just didn't work and not to Favre because the other guys get paid too.

The flea flicker was all Brett. It just wasn't there. In fact, Jenning was wide open but Brett chucked it up into triple coverage. That is not the coaches fault. He called a play that had Jennings wide open for what could have easily been an 80 yard TD. The QB screwed that up.

The last one, the protection broke down. Favre should have taken the sack. The protection is to blame, but Favre is also to blame for letting it go.

All in all, it wasn't a bad night calling plays. It was a bad night of execution with bad throws, bad decisions and one good play by newman and another by the Cowboys pass rush. It was bad, but not nearly as bad for the playcaller as eveyrone makes it out to be. In the emotion of the game, I wondered what hte hell they were thinking too, but rewatching it, I see bad throws, bad decisions, a great play by Newman and some poor protection by our line.

I consider it a combo of the Cowboys out playing us and Brett having an off night. Very little of it goes on McCarthys shoulders. The players just didn't excecute, starting with Favre.

GrnBay007
12-09-2007, 10:56 AM
The throw into triple coverage was inexcusable.

He was being nice.....he doesn't want you to become "bored" with his playing.

Bretsky
12-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Interesting that the two teams with probably the two best offensive lines in the NFL are currently the two best teams

Fred's Slacks
12-09-2007, 11:01 AM
There were what? 4 deep balls?

The first was to Jones and he had it if he didn't over throw it. Can't blame the coach for that, it was just a missed throw by the QB.

The 2nd was to Driver. He had Newman beat off the snap, but Newman is a great corner he just made a great play. The decision wasn't horrible because it wasn't into double coverage. He had a shot. No fault there, not to McCarthy because it just didn't work and not to Favre because the other guys get paid too.

The flea flicker was all Brett. It just wasn't there. In fact, Jenning was wide open but Brett chucked it up into triple coverage. That is not the coaches fault. He called a play that had Jennings wide open for what could have easily been an 80 yard TD. The QB screwed that up.

The last one, the protection broke down. Favre should have taken the sack. The protection is to blame, but Favre is also to blame for letting it go.

All in all, it wasn't a bad night calling plays. It was a bad night of execution with bad throws, bad decisions and one good play by newman and another by the Cowboys pass rush. It was bad, but not nearly as bad for the playcaller as eveyrone makes it out to be. In the emotion of the game, I wondered what hte hell they were thinking too, but rewatching it, I see bad throws, bad decisions, a great play by Newman and some poor protection by our line.

I consider it a combo of the Cowboys out playing us and Brett having an off night. Very little of it goes on McCarthys shoulders. The players just didn't excecute, starting with Favre.

I agree with most of this. When I said "bad calls", I was referring to the refs. Sorry about the confusion.

The only thing I disagree with is the 3rd and 1 deep ball to Driver. He didn't look open to me at any point and Lee was about 10 yards behind the only defender in the area. I think it was another bad decision by Brett.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 11:36 AM
I think Dallas is ahead of us by more than the masses think. They are better at the WR position, TE position, OL by a huge margin, QB by a slim margin, Dline by a slim margin, LBs a slim margin and their secondary might be worse but our S play makes it closer than it should be. ST's goes to the Cowboys also and so would homefield advantage. We definitely had injuries and that did matter but Harris' gift pic in the endzone and their let down on D made it closer than it really was imo.

The Leaper
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Dallas is better than Green Bay right now. More experienced throughout the roster...including the coaching staff.

However, the experience factor of Romo may still play a part. When Romo has all day in the pocket, he makes great decisions and plays very well. When he gets pressured, he can make errors...especially in big games.

Unfortunately, we didn't pressure Romo in our matchup with him.

Tarlam!
12-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Bulldog, you honestly think Romo is better than Favre?`I am no expert, but I disagree. He's good, but I'd still take #4 this season and next.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 11:54 AM
aCTUALLY THE MORE i THINK ABOUT IT, I think Dallas is just better than us in pretty much all the matchups when both teams are on the field, offensively and defensively. I post this and watch the Cowboys lose today :lol:

Freak Out
12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Fuck the Cowboys.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
Tarlam, I think Romo is better than favre cause he will get all day to throw to guys like TO and Witten. Brett won't have time. I'm picking the QB just because of the talent they will have to work with and I also don't like the way Brett plays in Dallas.

Bretsky
12-09-2007, 03:30 PM
Tarlam, I think Romo is better than favre cause he will get all day to throw to guys like TO and Witten. Brett won't have time. I'm picking the QB just because of the talent they will have to work with and I also don't like the way Brett plays in Dallas.

I have a terribly hard time saying Dallas is Better than GB at every position.
Look at WR, and I fully understand that Dallas gets the edge at TE

Owens, Crayton, Huard, and ???
Driver, Jennings, James, Robinson, Martin

I had an argument with somebody at work of who I'd take between our top two WR's versus their top 2.

But I don't think there is much debate about the top 5. You could even add Glenn in there and I still think GB has a better top 5.

Actually I think most of the positions are fairly close........except OL

Dallas is heads and heels above us on the OL

The Leaper
12-09-2007, 04:27 PM
aCTUALLY THE MORE i THINK ABOUT IT, I think Dallas is just better than us in pretty much all the matchups when both teams are on the field, offensively and defensively.

Offensively, Dallas gets the edge.

Defensively, our secondary when healthy is far better than the Dallas secondary. Our LBs are better as well. DL might be a draw...both are pretty good, although I think Green Bay is probably a little deeper.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 06:27 PM
TO makes up for the differnce to give the boys an edge their imo and I think they rush the passer much better and we won't be able to cover TO.

VegasPackFan
12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I have stated before to friends that because of the youth of our team, it could easily be said they will continue to improve each week. We are destroying teams right now that earlier we would have eked out a win against. We will be a better team than we were a few weeks ago if we meet in the NFC Championship game later this year. Will Dallas be a better team? We could catch up in talent and execution of gameplan.

Also, who do you think is the better coach? No chance in hell anyone picks Wade. I would have puked if the packers picked him to be the coach. Can that guy take a team to the SB?

Bottom line is that we have a chance.

gbgary
12-09-2007, 06:56 PM
TO makes up for the differnce to give the boys an edge their imo and I think they rush the passer much better and we won't be able to cover TO.

i don't think they rush the passer better. our line has more sacks than their line (by ten or more). a third of their sacks are by linebackers and safeties. they HAVE to blitz more because of their weaker secondary. if we hadn't run so many "everybody go long" passes and empty backfield formations we would have been a lot better off. our defense was in a weakened state when we played dallas. owens is a force but with pressure on romo his long passes won't happen. like today romo will be throwing quick to barber and whitten. if m3 was gonna be "even more aggressive" it would have been better had it been on the defensive side of the ball and kept the offense as it had been all season.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Did you se the first half of the cowboys game :oops:

gbgary
12-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Did you se the first half of the cowboys game :oops:

well yes. :shock: what part of my opinion do you disagree with? i am talking about the first half.

pack4to84
12-09-2007, 09:04 PM
My prediction form earlier this year. Dallas will not reach us we will play the Vikings in the NFC Championship.

1st Rd
Vikings walk all over Seattle.
Bucs quash the Giants Eli throws 3 picks in loss.

2nd Rd
Vikings run all over Big D, AP 25 carries 225 yards.
Pack in 10 degree weather beat a I want to go home Bucs. Never winning in temps below 40.

Nfc Championship
Vikings vs Packers

3irty1
12-10-2007, 01:53 AM

I think you underestimate how important KGB and Chuck are to our D. Chuck allows them to have enough personnel to press and thus get more pressure on the QB.

I'd also like to speculate that KGB could give those giant o-lineman some fits in the pass rushing game.

cpk1994
12-10-2007, 08:23 AM

I think you underestimate how important KGB and Chuck are to our D. Chuck allows them to have enough personnel to press and thus get more pressure on the QB.

I'd also like to speculate that KGB could give those giant o-lineman some fits in the pass rushing game.Exactly. Owens was motioned away from Harris many times because they knew the Woodson was out and there was nobady on the other side. With Woodson back, if TO motions he will have to deal with him.

chain_gang
12-10-2007, 08:30 AM

I'd also like to speculate that KGB could give those giant o-lineman some fits in the pass rushing game.Exactly. Owens was motioned away from Harris many times because they knew the Woodson was out and there was nobady on the other side. With Woodson back, if TO motions he will have to deal with him.

I'd like to see KGB matched up on Marc Colombo, any chance of that happening. Colombo has the clumsy foot problem against quick pass rushers, Colombo can be good against power rushes, but speed rushers like KGB always gives him problems. Either way though, with a healthy KGB on third and 10 or more Romo doesn't have all day to find the open receiver deep.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 08:51 AM
if we hadn't run so many "everybody go long" passes and empty backfield formations we would have been a lot better off.

DING, DING, DING!

As I've said all along, and to the chagrin of many, McCARTHY KILLED OUR CHANCES WITH HIS GAMEPLAN!

He took us away from our strength. Using play-action gives Favre less time to sit back and observe the field, because he has to waste a couple seconds trying to fake a handoff. And we did this SIX TIMES in the first 20 plays.

I said it from well before the game...you sit Favre back in a shotgun so he can see the field and put 3+ WRs out there at all times and throw that ball on the first 30 plays against Dallas. You don't run play action. You don't try to get cute. You stick with the short passing game and let Driver, Jennings and the boys eat up yardage with their legs as they have all year.

Why McCarthy tried to go away from that is beyond me.

OS PA
12-10-2007, 08:53 AM

I'd like to see KGB matched up on Marc Colombo, any chance of that happening. Colombo has the clumsy foot problem against quick pass rushers, Colombo can be good against power rushes, but speed rushers like KGB always gives him problems. Either way though, with a healthy KGB on third and 10 or more Romo doesn't have all day to find the open receiver deep.

When Colombo was a LT for the Bears, he gave up four sacks to KGB in a game. Colombo is a RT now, and much better on this side than he was on the other. I'm not sure if KGB is the same player from either side of the field. I'm pretty sure Kampy could make the change without any problems, but it seems that once a speed rusher gets his craft down, switching his starting foot and his lean might just throw off his entire game.

I'll take my chances on Colombo with Kampy... For some reason(kool-aid), I think Kampy will get the best of him in round number two.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Once again, enen though the gameplan may have included throwing long, Brett shouldn't have thrown into triple coverage :shock: Columbo is greatly improved from his Bears days and in regards to Dallas and KGB, Romo lit us up numerous times when KGB wouldn't have been in the game and if he was to be in on second and say4-7, I'd run all day long at him. They missed Woodson more imo but we will struggle with them cause we will have to roll all our coverage to TO and that opens up Whitten. Dallas' weapons on offense really expose our bad S play.

gbgary
12-10-2007, 07:03 PM
you saw dallas taken apart yesterday by DETROIT of all teams. they were shredded on the ground and through the air with the efficient, short passing game...kitna wasn't touched, no turn overs. had we used our normal game plan (with less empty back-field plays) the offense could have out-scored the blitzing boys. throw ANYTIME roy williams is on the field...ANYTIME!! by the way...owens was invisible yesterday. whitten and barber were the problems for detroit and only because they were ALLOWED to run free.

4and12to12and4
12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Yeah, that's why Detroit almost beat them, and had the lead the entire game, gimme a break, they wont even be around for the NFC Championship. We'll be playing in Lambeau against the Giants, you watch.

4and12to12and4
12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
I said in a post the day they beat us Im glad they won, go to Packers.com and listen to Favres comments, he says the same thing, all the pressure is on them now, so it could be a good thing that we lost, that game didn't mean shit to us, and has us in the perfect position. We're going to the Bowl for Brett's third hurrrah!!! Who would've thought!!!! I love me some Favre.

4and12to12and4
12-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Once again, enen though the gameplan may have included throwing long, Brett shouldn't have thrown into triple coverage :shock: Columbo is greatly improved from his Bears days and in regards to Dallas and KGB, Romo lit us up numerous times when KGB wouldn't have been in the game and if he was to be in on second and say4-7, I'd run all day long at him. They missed Woodson more imo but we will struggle with them cause we will have to roll all our coverage to TO and that opens up Whitten. Dallas' weapons on offense really expose our bad S play.

Dude, if we play them healthy, we are more talented then them in every position, period. And i'm sick of this "brett doesn't play well in big games, that's a crock of shit, if not for our shitty defense, Brett would,ve singlehandedly gave up a second ring. We just couldn't stop their run game, and all those other playoff losses were because of our shit defenses, ST, and receivers. If Brett played on the Pats this year, he'd have 60 TD passes by now.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Like the 6 pics against the Rams ect. BRETT IS HAVE ONE HELL OF YEAR but too blame it on the D, your better than that. Dallas is better than us. They have only been beaten by the Pats. We were beaten by the lonely bears and the Cowboys. Our Oline had it handed to them in Dallas and our D could never stop them when they needed to.

3irty1
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Like the 6 pics against the Rams ect. BRETT IS HAVE ONE HELL OF YEAR but too blame it on the D, your better than that. Dallas is better than us. They have only been beaten by the Pats. We were beaten by the lonely bears and the Cowboys. Our Oline had it handed to them in Dallas and our D could never stop them when they needed to.

What's so lonely about the Bears and Cowboys? :lol:

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
I think Woodson should be our first DB in the probowl, sorry.

pbmax
12-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Bretsky, do you really think the Packers O line is second best in the NFC?

Or did I miss the joke?O

Interesting that the two teams with probably the two best offensive lines in the NFL are currently the two best teams

MadtownPacker
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM

Or did I miss the joke?O

Interesting that the two teams with probably the two best offensive lines in the NFL are currently the two best teamsI think he was talking about the patriots and dallas.

MJZiggy
12-10-2007, 09:02 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe he was talking about the Pats and Cowboys...

pbmax
12-10-2007, 09:04 PM
We've been using play action all year. Its McCarthy's preferred attack, that's why he wanted the Broncos/Falcons ZBS.

The four and five wide shotgun is newer and it has been run alongside play action all year.

The offensive line needs to straighten out its protections. Yes, I am throwing them under the bus. Its possible it was all Colledge, but I am not sure.

On defense they need to dump the zone in the middle and deep. I know Collins and Bigby in coverage might not be the best, but Detroit played a lot of man to man in their game and suddenly the Romo's play action wasn't as effective.

Peter King pointed out they went to a zone in the last couple of drives and Romo took them up and down the field three times late.

[quote=gbgary]He took us away from our strength. Using play-action gives Favre less time to sit back and observe the field, because he has to waste a couple seconds trying to fake a handoff. And we did this SIX TIMES in the first 20 plays.

pbmax
12-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Asked and answered, thanks Mad. Sorry Bretsky.

Or did I miss the joke?O

Interesting that the two teams with probably the two best offensive lines in the NFL are currently the two best teamsI think he was talking about the patriots and dallas.

MadtownPacker
12-10-2007, 09:12 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe he was talking about the Pats and Cowboys... :no:

Clear visual evidence confirms that MadtownPacker jumped on the ball first. The play stands..

gbgary
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
He took us away from our strength. Using play-action gives Favre less time to sit back and observe the field, because he has to waste a couple seconds trying to fake a handoff. And we did this SIX TIMES in the first 20 plays.

this is NOT my quote!!

i like the play-action, the shot-gun is fine when protection is included. i want to see ball-control passing the way the west-coast offense was/is designed to be. Brett got embarrassed and hurt by the blitzing with NO protection. the offensive line was simply outnumbered...jail-break!! long passes take too long to develope and with the blitzing and no protection you get ducks thrown and quarterbacks hurt.

MJZiggy
12-10-2007, 09:21 PM
I could be mistaken, but I believe he was talking about the Pats and Cowboys... :no:

Clear visual evidence confirms that MadtownPacker jumped on the ball first. The play stands..

Cute, but ya ain't no Ed Hochuli... :lol:

LEWCWA
12-11-2007, 02:16 AM

i don't think they rush the passer better. our line has more sacks than their line (by ten or more). a third of their sacks are by linebackers and safeties. they HAVE to blitz more because of their weaker secondary. if we hadn't run so many "everybody go long" passes and empty backfield formations we would have been a lot better off. our defense was in a weakened state when we played dallas. owens is a force but with pressure on romo his long passes won't happen. like today romo will be throwing quick to barber and whitten. if m3 was gonna be "even more aggressive" it would have been better had it been on the defensive side of the ball and kept the offense as it had been all season.

They run a 3-4 defense. It is designed for linebackers to get sacks. I would say way more than a third of there sacks are by lb'ers as D. Ware and G. Ellis are both linebackers.

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
We've been using play action all year. Its McCarthy's preferred attack, that's why he wanted the Broncos/Falcons ZBS.

I never suggested we didn't.

I doubt we've seen as much play action EARLY in the game as we saw at Dallas. I'm just talking out of my ass, but I don't recall as many play-action plays in the scripted plays in other games this year.

My point all along has been that the way to beat Dallas is to stick Favre in the gun where he can see everything unfold in front of him, and give him at least 3 receivers to work with...although I think 4 is optimal.

My problem with the play-action against Dallas was that it was OBVIOUS that Dallas was not respecting it at all...SO WHY CONTINUE TO TRY TO FOOL THEM WITH PLAY-ACTION?? It makes no sense. Running a play-action play GREATLY reduces the time a QB has to observe the entire field. The QB has to turn his back from the play for a couple seconds to fake a handoff. When Favre made poor decisions on play-action, I think it was DIRECTLY a result of that reduced time to see the field. That is fine if the fake actually works in attracting the interest of a few defenders. If the defense is ignoring the fake, play-action is completely useless to the offense and puts them at a disadvantage.

My point is that our offensive game plan at the beginning of the Dallas game was flawed. We needed to come out and give Favre numerous passing options AND time to digest the defense and make a decision by putting him in the gun. Tom Brady was put precisely in that position, and TORE DALLAS A NEW ASSHOLE. Instead, we reduced the time Favre had to see what the defense was doing by utilizing play-action...even when it became abundantly clear that Dallas was completely ignoring our run fake. That gave Dallas a huge advantage, and was a big reason why they got a great start in that game.

If we play Dallas again, our first 15 plays should all be passing plays...out of the shotgun...using quick routes designed to attack an aggressive defense. Dallas can't afford to let Favre sit in the pocket. They will certainly blitz. Running play-action isn't going to affect that one damn bit. Dallas can't stop our passing game...they couldn't do it even when Rodgers was in there, so Favre should be able to absolutely torch them.

Chubbyhubby
12-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Dallas is best NFC "story" out there. They have Randy Moss and Romo who is playing very good for a "Young" QB. Wisconsin teams never get the love they deserve on ESPN. We ALL KNOW who is the best team out there and they all where the Green And Gold Knuf said...

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Dallas is best NFC "story" out there. They have Randy Moss and Romo who is playing very good for a "Young" QB. Wisconsin teams never get the love they deserve on ESPN. We ALL KNOW who is the best team out there and they all where the Green And Gold Knuf said...

You talkin about TO.

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
You talkin about TO.

Nah. Dallas traded 3 number one picks for Randy Moss today. You didn't hear the news? :twisted:

Apparently New England figured they would need a few extra #1 picks due to Belichick's cheating tendencies...and Dallas was scared after their narrow win over a beat up Packers team, and thought Moss would ensure them the SB trip.