PDA

View Full Version : The Next Few Years in the NFC North

The Shadow
12-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Of course it is extremely hard to speculate accurately about the rapidly changing league, but a few general observations :

Packers : the team with the best young talent base and a very healthy cap situation. Key question : how well will they transition to a new quarterback when Favre eventually retires?
Bears : trouble ahead. This team developed questions just about everywhere simultaneously. The offensive line needs major rebuilding, the defense has sprung holes, and three key players - Urlacher, Harris, and Brown may never regain pre-injury form. Oh, almost forgot : where will they find a quarterback?
Lions : Even with great receiving talent, the infrastructure of the team continues to hold them down. What good is all the wideout talent if the offensive line can't block, and the defense can't prevent opponents from scoring? Packer fans should be thankful for the Millens and McCaskeys of the world.
Vikings : Most likely the next main challenger to the Packers in the division. Still, one man teams (Adrian Peterson) are too one-dimensional to make it to the top. And : is T. Jackson really a longterm answer at quarterback? Even their defensive strength - the tackles - is a question. Pat Williams won't play till he's 57, right?

We Packer fans all have quite a bit to be thankful for. Things look bright!

Tony Oday
12-09-2007, 11:03 AM
THe Packers still have to get over the Favre slump...I hope its like the transition between Montana and Young instead of the QB situations after Elway and Marino. Our defense needs to get younger in the secondary.

Vikes have the young talent at the specialty positions but their line is aging and has a ton of money wrapped into that left side. This Team has a stud defense right now but with big Pat retiring in 2 years I dont think they will be as strong in the future.

Bears they are well honestly screwed. The only young talent that they have is hester and Olsen. Defense is aging and getting hurt.

Lions getting young at skill positions and defense is playing better than in the past.

Rastak
12-09-2007, 11:08 AM
THe Packers still have to get over the Favre slump...I hope its like the transition between Montana and Young instead of the QB situations after Elway and Marino. Our defense needs to get younger in the secondary.

Vikes have the young talent at the specialty positions but their line is aging and has a ton of money wrapped into that left side. This Team has a stud defense right now but with big Pat retiring in 2 years I dont think they will be as strong in the future.

Bears they are well honestly screwed. The only young talent that they have is hester and Olsen. Defense is aging and getting hurt.

Lions getting young at skill positions and defense is playing better than in the past.

That's true, but they banked about 20 mil in cap money for next year and should be in great shape for the short term. QB is the big question mark.

Lions coaching staff is the big question.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 11:31 AM
The Vikes will be my favorite next season in the North unless we can solidify our Oline and get another good RB. Our aging corners, actually the entire secondary is also a concern.

Pacopete4
12-09-2007, 01:30 PM
how in the world would the pack not be the favorite if favres back next year.. it doesnt make sense. Ya the vikes are on a hot streak but we have won 10 games, going on 11, blew them out once finishing the sweep..

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 03:16 PM
tHEY GET A qb along with AP would be my reason.

Pacopete4
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
we still have better WR's, QB and ryan grant looks pretty damn good to me.. plus our D annnnnnnnd COACHING... stupid comment havin them favorites after watchin the pack dominate this season

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 03:19 PM
I bet the Pack wants no part of Minny in the playoffs, watch what you say.

Pacopete4
12-09-2007, 03:21 PM
i bet the pack arent even thinking of the vikings.. mostly cuz they just won the division, beat the vikes twice and are thinking of the beat down theyre gonna lay on st. louis... oh what'd the vikes do? win 3 games in a row.. ya theyre the next best thing i guess.. again stupid comment

gbgary
12-09-2007, 03:24 PM
The Vikes will be my favorite next season in the North unless we can solidify our Oline and get another good RB.

you can't have enough good linemen but our line isn't as bad as you let on. it can always be better but you don't get a record like ours or have grant running through the holes he is without a pretty good line.

i think more coaching experience and better game-planning will win more games for the Pack than another lineman.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 03:28 PM
Well first game in Minny we basicly only win because AP didn't get the reps. The game at Lambeau, they had a smurf at QB, AP was hurt and the Packers are better this year. Your comments are brilliant, did you watch the game in Minnesota? cHILDRESS WAS THE mvP OF THAT GAME CAUSE HE NEVER GAVE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE FIELD THE NEEDED TOUCHES TO WIN. One more thing, I don't see Brett having another year like this and I say that just because of his age, nothing else. I forgot one more thing, we've been very healthy this year, usually that doesn't keep going that way.

Pacopete4
12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
weird cuz no one was this year happening for favre and he proved people like u wrong.. AP wasnt hurt for the game at lambeau he was hurt during and he wasnt doing a damn thing anyways.. we are the better team and just cuz the off season comes doesnt mean minny jumps ahead of us as the class of the north.. u make zero sense

MJZiggy
12-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Well first game in Minny we basicly only win because AP didn't get the reps. The game at Lambeau, they had a smurf at QB, AP was hurt and the Packers are better this year. Your comments are brilliant, did you watch the game in Minnesota? cHILDRESS WAS THE mvP OF THAT GAME CAUSE HE NEVER GAVE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE FIELD THE NEEDED TOUCHES TO WIN. One more thing, I don't see Brett having another year like this and I say that just because of his age, nothing else. I forgot one more thing, we've been very healthy this year, usually that doesn't keep going that way.

That's a load of crap. It isn't the Packers' fault that Childress is an idiot. Why can Brett not have another good year? You said he can't all last offseason. If Vinnie can still be in there playing effectively at his age, why can Brett NOT have another good year? And I just rewatched that second game yesterday and to be honest we kicked the living shit out of them. That's why we won. And another thing--before Peterson went out of that game, we had him SHUT DOWN. Maybe you need to go take another look at it.

BallHawk
12-09-2007, 03:56 PM
The Vikes will be my favorite next season in the North unless we can solidify our Oline and get another good RB. Our aging corners, actually the entire secondary is also a concern.

If you ask me, you're looking for things to be concerned about. Our OL is decent, they're a far cry from the OLs of 1, 2 years ago. If Grant today didn't show you that he's a legit guy than I don't know what will. In regards to the secondary, yeah, we're getting old, I can agree with that. But Harris and Woodson are still the best 1-2 CB tandem in the league and should remain that way for at least 1 or 2 years. Rouse looks promising and though I have concerns about Bigby and Collins that can be fixed through either FA or the draft.

The Vikes still don't have an elite WR, even though Sidney Rice is getting there. Tavaris Jackson will be their QB for at least 1 more year and if you're putting Favre up against Jackson it isn't even close. And even if you assume that Favre retires (and I see no reason why he would) Rodgers is just as capable as Jackson, if not more capable of leading a team.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea how you can say the Vikes are the favorites. Are they contenders? Sure. Are they favorites? Not even close.

cpk1994
12-09-2007, 04:19 PM
I bet the Pack wants no part of Minny in the playoffs, watch what you say.B.S. The Packers will take on all comers. Its the Vikes that want no part of GB.

Rastak
12-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I bet the Pack wants no part of Minny in the playoffs, watch what you say.B.S. The Packers will take on all comers. Its the Vikes that want no part of GB.

Bullshit, I doubt any team is afraid of any other heading into the playoffs.

The Leaper
12-09-2007, 04:34 PM
cHILDRESS WAS THE mvP OF THAT GAME CAUSE HE NEVER GAVE THE BEST PLAYER ON THE FIELD THE NEEDED TOUCHES TO WIN.

The last time I checked, Childress is still likely to be the coach if the Packers and Vikings meet up again...and if he was such a dumbass in the first meeting, why would the Packers fear him now?

Note...I'm not saying Childress is a dumbass...just pointing out the inconsistency in bulldog's viewpoint.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 06:23 PM
he was the packers MVP in that game and trust me, teams will not want any part of the Vikings or Seattle in the playoffs. Those two teams could pull the upset, not saying they will but they definitely could.

b bulldog
12-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Dah, I think the whole league now knows about AP :oops:

Cheesehead Craig
12-09-2007, 07:08 PM

Bullshit, I doubt any team is afraid of any other heading into the playoffs.
Amen Rastak.

jvandehey19
12-09-2007, 08:51 PM
b bulldog...b bullshit

Pacopete4
12-09-2007, 09:30 PM
any team could pull an upset in the playoffs.. they do get there for a reason.. hell im still waiting to see if the vikes can win the next 2 weeks and get in.. let alone talk about being scared about them ahah.. we are the better team, the end

3irty1
12-10-2007, 12:40 AM

But the Vikings' secondary isn't a concern?

tHEY GET A qb along with AP would be my reason.

I like our odds of drafting a difference maker at RB more than their ability to draft a difference maker at QB....

Do you own a Peterson jersey???

gex
12-10-2007, 01:46 AM
b bulldog...b bullshit WELL SAID :bclap:

the_idle_threat
12-10-2007, 02:26 AM
If you're lookin for a troll, Harv, look at b bulldog. His criticisms are so completely irrational that one could suspect they're only being made to provoke a response. That's what a troll does. I don't see that out of Rastak.

chain_gang
12-10-2007, 08:12 AM
The team that seems like they could give us a hard time in the playoffs, well other than the Cowboys, I think is Seattle. The like to spread them out much like we do, and they're very comparable in talent at the Wideout spot, especially if D.J. Hackett comes back. I know Alexander isn't running that great, but M. Morris looks pretty good back there, and it seems they're rotating the two now. The defenses both are pretty similar in terms of talent also. Seattle has a pretty good secondary, I believe they've held QB's to a 67 QB rating this year. Kerney on the Dline is very similar to Kampman. Tatupu and Peterson at LB spots. Of course Seattle plays in the NFC West, so you have to take in to account that they've been pretty much resting their guys since Week 3, and I'm sure it helps their record out being in a division that bad.

Well any playoff game will be tough, but a Seattle game seems like the toughest right now(besides Dallas), but it would sure be a fun game to watch, matchup wise.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 08:28 AM
he was the packers MVP in that game and trust me, teams will not want any part of the Vikings or Seattle in the playoffs. Those two teams could pull the upset, not saying they will but they definitely could.

It is the NFL. Any team can pull an upset.

With Green Bay's defense, I doubt they fear Minnesota...who remains very one-dimensional at this point. I also think Tampa is a good matchup for GB...their offense won't score much against our defense. Seattle would be far more of a concern. Hasselbeck is a very good QB, and they still have a capable running game with SA. The same goes for the Giants.

Green Bay has an offense capable of posting at least 20 points on any team they play. So, I would think their only true fear are offenses capable of putting up 20 point on our defense.

OS PA
12-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Packers : In the next two years, the Packers need to draft, aquire, or develop two offensive tackles, at least one guard, a second or first string runningback, two cornerbacks, and at least one safety.

Bears : Bears are on their way to the bottom of the league. They need a QB, new Offensive line, and a new player or two in their secondary.

Lions : The Lions should be able to stick around .500 for the next few seasons. They'll probably go after one of the big name cornerbacks (I wouldn't be surprised to see Asante Samuel in a Lions jersey next year). They need a new offensive line, a dominant defensive end, two linebackers, two cornerbacks, and two safeties. They are capable of winning a game here and a game there, but they won't be an elite team unless they completely redo their defense starting outside and moving in.

Vikings : The Vikings are our biggest threat in the division for the future. They need a #2 wide receiver, a tight end, a defensive end, and maybe a cornerback. They can easily address those needs in one offseason. My biggest fear is that TJack will develop into a decent quarterback, and the Vikings will have a passing threat to go along with All Day AP.

If nothing were to change from this year to next, I'd have the Packers listed as the favorite to win next year, and then the Vikings as the favorite to win in 08, but things change. If Rodgers pans out, I could see our division being as strong and scary as it was throughout the 90's.

wist43
12-10-2007, 08:37 AM
Favre retires, the Packers take a huge step backward... Rodgers looked surprisingly good against Dallas, but I'm not buyin it. It'll take more than 3 good quarters of football to convince that Rodgers can play. Even if Rodgers can play, he certainly appears to be fragile.

Minnesota will be very tough... they're built around defense and running the ball. Doubt Jackson is the long term answer, but he doesn't have to be given how they're built.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Favre retires, the Packers take a huge step backward... Rodgers looked surprisingly good against Dallas, but I'm not buyin it. It'll take more than 3 good quarters of football to convince that Rodgers can play. Even if Rodgers can play, he certainly appears to be fragile.

No doubt it is a step backward...but I'm not sure it is a huge step. Having a mobile QB will be a huge advantage. At this point, defenses have an advantage being able to really tee off on Favre because he is immobile and a sitting duck back there. Dallas had a hard time containing Rodgers. Rodgers has the ability to be a decent QB. He's got a good arm, is pretty accurate, and seems to have a solid knowledge of the system at this point.

Say what you want about Rodgers having to prove it. The kid stepped into a horrible situation in Dallas...without much practice time and facing a huge deficit...and nearly rallied the team to a win against one of the best teams in the NFL on the road. That speaks plenty IMO.

When Favre does retire, it will free up a ton of cap space to improve other areas of the roster as well.

I don't think losing Favre is a death toll for this team. It will take a year to adjust, I think...but there is enough young talent on this team to continue to be a very good team for a very long time.

Jerry Tagge
12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Shouldn't you be on a Patriots board professing your man love for Tom "Tuck Rule" Brady?

You know, the only QB in the history of the NFL who cries to the refs whenever something doesn't go his way.

dissident94
12-10-2007, 02:28 PM
b bulldog. Are you even a Packer fan. I mean I have read this site on and off since it has been around. DOn't post much. But you are the biggest downer ever. I mean come on why look at the worst case all the time.
Green Bay is a superior team than Minnesota. Peterson is great and all but we did shut him down in GB. I know Bollinger was playing but we did stop him. Minnesota is good but will lose their first game in the playoffs while we take a break.
Why don't you become a Viking fan.

Jerry Tagge
12-10-2007, 02:44 PM
b bulldog. Are you even a Packer fan. Why don't you become a Viking fan.
Because he's a Patriot fan with a big man crush on Tuck Rule Brady.

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Minnesota is good but will lose their first game in the playoffs while we take a break.

Minnesota could win the wild card weekend. Seattle and Tampa are both tough at home, so they'll be an underdog, but it wouldn't be shocking if they won. I'm hoping the Giants get that first wild card. Then, worst case scenario, one of my two most disliked teams will go out in round 2.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 04:46 PM
I do love Brady , thaT IS obvious. My point in regards to next year is that I doubt that Brett can play like this next season and I think we will be having trouble in the future in the secondary because of age. I do get a tad negative, I admit thaT but trust me, I am a bigger Packers fan than 95% of the Packers fans in the country. i CAN'T really prove it but my wife and family would back me up. One more thing, I find it hard to think that we could be as injury free next year as we have been this season.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 05:00 PM
by the way, I'm not a Pats fan but I do hope they get to the SB undefeated so the story line surrounding will be better.

MJZiggy
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
I do love Brady , thaT IS obvious. My point in regards to next year is that I doubt that Brett can play like this next season and I think we will be having trouble in the future in the secondary because of age. I do get a tad negative, I admit thaT but trust me, I am a bigger Packers fan than 95% of the Packers fans in the country. i CAN'T really prove it but my wife and family would back me up. One more thing, I find it hard to think that we could be as injury free next year as we have been this season.

We've been ok injury wise this season, but we have Franks out, Blackmon just coming back, Jolly out, Harrell and Collins just coming back, Favre dinged up (normal people would be out) Tausch, Clifton, Woodson and Harris playing injured and Rouse just getting back. Not to mention injuries to every rb on the roster. We haven't been doing as well in the injury department as you claim.

Bretsky
12-10-2007, 05:51 PM
by the way, I'm not a Pats fan but I do hope they get to the SB undefeated so the story line surrounding will be better.

An Undefeated Brady versue Favre and the Packers for the Super Bowl

I'd take that, and it's be a NFL revenue dream

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Just what I've been thinking but I think as far as the NFL goes, having a undefeated pats team playing Dallas or GB would be a dream scenario.

Bretsky
12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Just what I've been thinking but I think as far as the NFL goes, having a undefeated pats team playing Dallas or GB would be a dream scenario.

Yup, either one is a NFL dream

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Don't you think a Jacksonville/Seattle game would be sexy?