PDA

View Full Version : Ed Hochuli

MJZiggy
12-09-2007, 04:50 PM
And his crew did a pretty nice job. I thought it was funny when the Raider got up and ran off with the ball and he turns on the mike and says "he was down by contact." But his voice had a "well duh!" tone to it.

But I don't remember any blatantly bad calls (except one and if they didn't challenge, that's not our fault).

Rastak
12-09-2007, 04:53 PM
And his crew did a pretty nice job. I thought it was funny when the Raider got up and ran off with the ball and he turns on the mike and says "he was down by contact." But his voice had a "well duh!" tone to it.

But I don't remember any blatantly bad calls (except one and if they didn't challenge, that's not our fault).

I thought his crew was pretty bad.

gbgary
12-09-2007, 04:54 PM
some thought the pick call againt [chris berman voice]the Raaaidaz[/chris berman voice] was bad.

ed hokaloogey's crew had a bad game with us early in the year too. i forget which one though.

]{ilr]3
12-09-2007, 04:57 PM
I thought the Raiders got screwed on a lot of calls. Those 2 calls that killed those 3rd down conversionss of over 20 yards deep in there own territory were big.

They dont make a difference in the out come of he game, but they got hosed on a lot of calls. Kinda like the Packers last week. Although the game outcome may have swung the packers favor. The Cowboys played better.

oregonpackfan
12-09-2007, 07:46 PM
{ilr]3]I thought the Raiders got screwed on a lot of calls. Those 2 calls that killed those 3rd down conversionss of over 20 yards deep in there own territory were big.

One of those bad calls against the Raiders was against WR Porter for "Having his hands extended" while the ball was in the air. It was a bush league call that nullified a big pass completion for Oakland.

I am not complaining, mind you, I am just giving my opinion about the call.

Cheesehead Craig
12-09-2007, 09:13 PM
The refs were bad. They need to hit the film room this week. Maybe run a few more gassers as punishment.

pittstang5
12-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, I thought the officiating has been better...way better, especially for Ed, "Muscles" crew.

However, can someone explain to me the personal foul Jenkins got when Atari Bigby intercepted that pass. It looked like a clean hit, not like he was blindsided or something. I thought once the ball was intercepted, everyone......including QBs are fair game....because they become potential blockers/tacklers.

VegasPackFan
12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
The refs are bad every week in every game.

Until they get full-time crews , it will always be this way.

FritzDontBlitz
12-09-2007, 09:22 PM
{ilr]3]I thought the Raiders got screwed on a lot of calls. Those 2 calls that killed those 3rd down conversionss of over 20 yards deep in there own territory were big.

One of those bad calls against the Raiders was against WR Porter for "Having his hands extended" while the ball was in the air. It was a bush league call that nullified a big pass completion for Oakland.

I am not complaining, mind you, I am just giving my opinion about the call.

If Porter wasn't the intended receiver they must have saw it as trying to block while the ball was in the air. I missed that one, like I missed Jenkins hit on McCown during Bigby's interception.

FritzDontBlitz
12-09-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, I thought the officiating has been better...way better, especially for Ed, "Muscles" crew.

However, can someone explain to me the personal foul Jenkins got when Atari Bigby intercepted that pass. It looked like a clean hit, not like he was blindsided or something. I thought once the ball was intercepted, everyone......including QBs are fair game....because they become potential blockers/tacklers.

I am expecting another call from the home office on that one. Phil Michaels tried to explain it on his postgame show, he basically said "Jenkins blocked him too hard, and after McCown did a flop the refs musta saw that and overreacted."

I paraphrase. A bit.

BallHawk
12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
I think the foul on Jenkins was that he hit the QB who was, basically, "out of the play." He wasn't attempting to block so he's not part of the play, at least by the rule's standpoint.

The rule would apply to any player, for example a WR or an OL-man. It's used to avoid another Chad Clifton/Warren Sapp incident.

One could argue that anybody on the field is fair game, but Cullen knew that the QB wasn't going to affect the play. He did it to beat up on the QB. It was a stupid play by him and if the rule says you can't do that, he should have no business doing it.

FritzDontBlitz
12-09-2007, 10:59 PM
I think the foul on Jenkins was that he hit the QB who was, basically, "out of the play." He wasn't attempting to block so he's not part of the play, at least by the rule's standpoint.

The rule would apply to any player, for example a WR or an OL-man. It's used to avoid another Chad Clifton/Warren Sapp incident.

One could argue that anybody on the field is fair game, but Cullen knew that the QB wasn't going to affect the play. He did it to beat up on the QB. It was a stupid play by him and if the rule says you can't do that, he should have no business doing it.

McCown could have run out of bounds after he threw the pick because he was near the sidelines, instead he turned and ran upfield toward Bigby. He was trying to get in on the play and that makes him fair game. So was Chad Clifton when Sapp nailed him, Clifton just wasn't paying attention. Besides that, Clifton's injury was nothing short of a freak accident: you get nailed in the chest and it knocks your hip out of socket? Come on....

Either way I'm glad Cullen popped him after their linebacker kept taking shots at Favre's legs the whole game.

gbpackfan
12-09-2007, 11:55 PM
I think the refs did a nice job today. That being said, how they missed Driver being held on that 4th and 4 I'll never know.

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Officiating was fine. A couple of missed calls, but it happens in every game.

3irty1
12-10-2007, 12:28 AM
The refs are bad every week in every game.

Until they get full-time crews , it will always be this way.

That being said I feel like this year has been pretty terrible compared to recent years.

SkinBasket
12-10-2007, 06:33 AM

If he wasn't going to affect the play, he would be heading for the sideline, not for the action. It was the refs being overprotective of a player who had his head up his ass and wasn't paying attention.

]{ilr]3
12-10-2007, 06:34 AM

The big difference is that Clifton was blindsided and never saw it coming. Jenkins was right in front of him.

Sparkey
12-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Was I the only one who saw Hoculi give the Raiders a 1st down on a 4th and 9 play in the 4th quarter, where not until the packers requested a measurement did he reverse himself and award the packers the ball on downs ?

I remember the Packer on his knees pointing to the ground repeatedly about where they needed to get to the 1st down.

OS PA
12-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Was I the only one who saw Hoculi give the Raiders a 1st down on a 4th and 9 play in the 4th quarter, where not until the packers requested a measurement did he reverse himself and award the packers the ball on downs ?

I remember the Packer on his knees pointing to the ground repeatedly about where they needed to get to the 1st down.

I think it was a line judge who initially signaled that the play resulted in a first down. The spot of the ball was correct, but for some reason they didn't feel like a measurement was needed. I'm not sure what changed their minds, other than being wrong in the first place, but they got together and had the chain gang come on the field to measure it out. This didn't really upset me. I'd take officials correcting wrong calls on the field over them not correcting anything!

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I think it was a line judge who initially signaled that the play resulted in a first down.

I thought only the head ref made that decision and signal. Hoc made that call...and was stupid to do so. It was clearly one that needed to be measured, as a change in possession was riding on it.

I wasn't enamored with the crew. They missed an obvious step OOB on the punt return TD. They took 5 minutes to decide whether or not a Raider, who was CLEARLY tackled, was down on the resulting kickoff return. They screwed up the fumble that we recovered in the endzone. I also though a couple of the penalties on the Raiders were a little questionable.

And what was with the review on Porter's TD? What the hell were they reviewing? He clearly caught the ball and was easily in bounds. I'm not sure why that review was necessary.

They weren't horrible...but they were far from good IMO.

SkinBasket
12-10-2007, 11:14 AM
I wasn't enamored with the crew. They missed an obvious step OOB on the punt return TD.

Missed call, yes. Obvious? It was a quarter of his foot that touched the line. Crews have missed worse before and OAK simply wasn't paying attention as far as calling for a review.

They took 5 minutes to decide whether or not a Raider, who was CLEARLY tackled, was down on the resulting kickoff return. They screwed up the fumble that we recovered in the endzone. I also though a couple of the penalties on the Raiders were a little questionable.

I don't remember that call on the return taking anywhere near 5 minutes to decide.

How exactly did they screw up the fumble recovery call again?

There's going to be a few "questionable" calls in every game. No worse than the way Harris and Woodson are flagged in a majority of their games.

And what was with the review on Porter's TD? What the hell were they reviewing? He clearly caught the ball and was easily in bounds. I'm not sure why that review was necessary.

They reviewed whether or not he had stepped out of bounds previous to being the first player to touch the ball.

They weren't horrible...but they were far from good IMO.

I thought they completely overreacted on the personal foul that negated the INT return, as the QB was clearly moving in the direction of the play. The refs took it upon themselves to interpret the QBs motivations, I guess. Other than that, there were a few nit-picky calls, but I thought they weren't any different than any other game this year.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Geez, Skinbasket. Are you Hoc's secret lover or something?

The crew clearly made some wrong calls...several were corrected after review/measurement, but it still doesn't change the fact they were wrong the first time. As I pointed out...they weren't horrible, but they weren't that good either. They spent too much time looking at each other and trying to come up with the correct decision...often on plays that were fairly evident to anyone watching the game.

SkinBasket
12-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Geez, Skinbasket. Are you Hoc's secret lover or something?

The crew clearly made some wrong calls...several were corrected after review/measurement, but it still doesn't change the fact they were wrong the first time. As I pointed out...they weren't horrible, but they weren't that good either. They spent too much time looking at each other and trying to come up with the correct decision...often on plays that were fairly evident to anyone watching the game.

Evident to you, watching the game on your television. And you want to fault them for actually discussing a call to make sure it's correct? That makes a lot of sense. :roll:

They made 1 bad call - the missed foot out of bounds. The rest, while disputable, borderline, or downright petty, were still judgment calls that happen in every game. It what they're out there to do - make those decisions. Just because you or I don't agree with them does not make them wrong.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 12:37 PM
They made 1 bad call - the missed foot out of bounds. The rest, while disputable, borderline, or downright petty, were still judgment calls that happen in every game. It what they're out there to do - make those decisions. Just because you or I don't agree with them does not make them wrong.

So giving the Raiders a first down without question, only to be proven wrong when Green Bay wisely pleaded for a measurement, was an example of genius?

Missing the fumble by Oakland that resulted in a TD was also genius? Sure, it was corrected by replay...but it doesn't change the fact that the refs were WRONG.

Again, I never claimed the crew was horrible. I stated they were mediocre. That in itself is an improvement over some of the other crews we've seen recently. However, I've also seen plenty of crews work a game without any real issues in their decision making. Perhaps this game had tougher calls...but regardless, the refs weren't always on top of their game in Lambeau on Sunday. They blew several calls outright IMO, and then were fortunately corrected on a few others.

Sure, mistakes are part of the process in human judgment. That doesn't mean you just whistle Dixie and label the crew's job appropriate.

Lurker64
12-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Really, the best thing about Hochuli is that even though he's wrong sometimes (who isn't?) he does a good job explaining what he's thinking to the audience. So there's very little "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING REF?"

I mean, after he mistakenly gave the Raiders a first down, he came on the mic and said "We were looking at the wrong line, we will measure." Which is a mistake anybody coule make, and the fact that he gives a one line explanation leads me less to think that the refs are incompetent and more to think that they're just people.

I, for one, enjoy Hochuli's perspicacity.

Carolina_Packer
12-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Warren Sapp said in postgame comments:

"I don't think Shane has ever had a punt return for a TD, and the dude stepped out of bounds on that one," Sapp said. "Everybody was against us today; that's why we got 38 points put up on us."

I wonder if he was thinking refs when he said everybody. I don't buy his argument. Perhaps it's taken out of context, but if you get your butt beat, you don't cry and say everyone was against us. There were other quotes where he said good things about Favre, but I don't like hearing players say that people were against them, so we got beaten badly. If you sucked or the other team played better, why not say that?

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 01:06 PM
I mean, after he mistakenly gave the Raiders a first down, he came on the mic and said "We were looking at the wrong line, we will measure." Which is a mistake anybody coule make, and the fact that he gives a one line explanation leads me less to think that the refs are incompetent and more to think that they're just people.

Of course. That is why I went out of my way to clearly point out the crew WAS NOT HORRIBLE. They seemed to have an off day...they missed several very easy calls and were shaky on a few others.

MadtownPacker
12-10-2007, 01:10 PM
The raider had plenty of time to challenge the punt return TD. They didnt, thats on them. All it was gonna do was give the Pack on the ball on the 5 and give Grant another TD.

I just hate it when shit like Harris stripping owens isn't reviewable.

SkinBasket
12-10-2007, 01:12 PM
So giving the Raiders a first down without question, only to be proven wrong when Green Bay wisely pleaded for a measurement, was an example of genius?

Missing the fumble by Oakland that resulted in a TD was also genius? Sure, it was corrected by replay...but it doesn't change the fact that the refs were WRONG.

Didn't know they had to be geniuses. All they got to do is call a fair game. Seems like they did that - despite how you personally feel about the calls. Even you admit your examples of egregious calls were both corrected. So what's the problem?

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 02:54 PM
So what's the problem?

I never said there was a problem. I just said the crew was rather mediocre, which they were. There are plenty of days I'm mediocre at my job too. I was more trying to point out that even though they did better than most groups we have had to endure recently, they still weren't on top of their game.

MJZiggy
12-10-2007, 03:02 PM
So what's the problem?

I never said there was a problem. I just said the crew was rather mediocre, which they were. There are plenty of days I'm mediocre at my job too. I was more trying to point out that even though they did better than most groups we have had to endure recently, they still weren't on top of their game.

When is the last time you saw a game where every call was perfect? I thought that for the most part this crew did a decent job,that's all I was saying. I think we all could have done without the one on Cullen, but whoever said that if it were Favre and Sapp we'd be screaming from the rooftops was right.

sepporepi
12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
"I was just turning to find somebody to block, going toward the ball. (McCown) was the first person there," said Jenkins, who twice shouted "I blocked him" at Hochuli as the call was made. "Obviously I wasn't supposed to do that. (Hochuli) said, 'Anybody else that's a legal hit, but not the quarterback.' ''

Bullshit. If this is indeed the rule, the NFL hast to change it.
If the QB throws an interception it should be allowed to block him like any other player.

If it is not the rule the ref needs to "take two years off and then quit" :P.

By the way who said the last quote first ? 8-)

MJZiggy
12-10-2007, 06:26 PM
"I was just turning to find somebody to block, going toward the ball. (McCown) was the first person there," said Jenkins, who twice shouted "I blocked him" at Hochuli as the call was made. "Obviously I wasn't supposed to do that. (Hochuli) said, 'Anybody else that's a legal hit, but not the quarterback.' ''

Bullshit. If this is indeed the rule, the NFL hast to change it.
If the QB throws an interception it should be allowed to block him like any other player.

If it is not the rule the ref needs to "take two years off and then quit" :P.

By the way who said the last quote first ? 8-)

The movie Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius. (this is why google rules the world.)

FavreChild
12-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Brett said it.

Except it was, "Take two weeks off - then quit." 8-)

Scott Campbell
12-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Brett said it.

Well howdy do there FC!

Fosco33
12-10-2007, 08:03 PM
some thought the pick call againt [chris berman voice]the Raaaidaz[/chris berman voice] was bad.

ed hokaloogey's crew had a bad game with us early in the year too. i forget which one though.
It was verses Minny - and the next week they had that special about Ed and his crew - he admitted it was one of his worst.

I also thought they didn't do very well yesterday but since the calls went our way I'll ignore it 8-)

KYPack
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Brett said it.

Great to see ya posting, FC!

sepporepi
12-11-2007, 05:50 AM
Ups :oops:.

Ok, I scrwed it up with the weeks/years. Glad you still know :P.

I love the clip in which he says it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvDOHYy49V0

FavreChild
12-11-2007, 06:38 AM
Howdy, Scott. Hiya, KY.

That's OK, sepporepi - we got the idea. That clip is also included in the intro. of the Favre 4 Ever DVD (narrated by Billy Bob).