PDA

View Full Version : Chris Havel meets w/Mike McCarthy in his office

motife
04-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Posted Apr. 02, 2006

Chris Havel
McCarthy putting his stamp on the Packers
You can tell a lot about a man by the office he inherits.

“This is really nice,” I say.

“Too nice,” Mike McCarthy replies.

How nice, I think, that McCarthy can see the forest for the cherry wood. The Green Bay Packers’ first-year coach seems to appreciate the fine leather upholstery and the neatly polished credenza, but not as much as he finds the extravagance unnecessary, if not embarrassing.

Hand-me-downs can be so uncomfortable.

McCarthy’s office is showroom perfect. His team? Not so much.

Not yet, anyway.

Here’s the good news:

The situation isn’t ideal, but it is correctable. And after a 75-minute meeting with the new coach Friday afternoon, I am beginning to see why GM Ted Thompson chose McCarthy to run the team.

McCarthy, 42, is a down-to-earth, shot-and-beer kind of guy. Circumstance is teaching him to be a grin-and-bear-it kind of guy.

Busy first 3 months

When he was hired in January, he said he was stepping into his dream home. All it needed was a few coats of paint and some light housekeeping.

Manners, professional courtesy and good sense kept him from saying, “That, and a wrecking ball.”

Let’s recap the events almost three months into McCarthy’s tenure.

• Brett Favre, the future Hall of Famer at quarterback, isn’t sure whether he wants to play or retire.

• Javon Walker, the team’s most talented receiver, is certain he’d rather retire than play for the Packers.

• Free agency hasn’t been the free spending free-for-all some hoped.

• Thompson re-signed defensive end Aaron Kampman, and acquired nose tackle Ryan Pickett and safety Marquand Manuel. He signed a slew of players to cost-effective, salary cap-friendly, one-year deals.

On the surface, it appears the Packers’ offseason has been an exercise in frugality, if not futility. Fans need to realize what matters most is that this offseason hasn’t been an exercise in frivolity.

Deserves a chance

While Favre ponders, Walker blusters, free agency drags and the NFL draft draws near, McCarthy restructures, reorganizes and redefines practically every aspect of the team.

We know when the free-agent signing period ends. What I want to know is when the coach’s honeymoon begins?

It’s as if some fans are so preoccupied with Favre, Walker and the moves Thompson didn’t make that they forget McCarthy’s been on the job just two months, not two years. Some fans are down on him before he’s had a chance to lose his first game.

Certainly, the doom-and-gloom outlook may be dead-on as this season unfolds, but I detected nothing of the sort inside the team’s headquarters. McCarthy’s office may have all the comforts, but the one luxury the Packers’ coaches can’t afford is self-pity.

There is too much work to be done, and too much potential to be realized, to be derailed by negativity. The atmosphere and the energy — like the new coach — bears little or no resemblance to what came before.

Thompson believes in building through the draft, and McCarthy believes in gearing everything with younger players’ needs in mind.

He moved the April minicamp to May so players have seven weeks to focus on the new strength and conditioning program. He also pushed it back so the rookies and veterans could begin on equal footing.

His training camp schedule enables the coaches to review that day’s film between practices. If a player isn’t making progress, it increases the odds the problem will be identified and corrected.

“When you compete against a guy every day, you tend to learn their strengths and weaknesses,” he said. “Thereâà ¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s so much good film to learn from, and the quantity, too. In the old system, you’d get backed up. You couldn’t watch all that film.”

McCarthy intends to burn the midnight oil during the offseason, in general, and the minicamps, in particular, to hit training camp running.

“Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ve told the guys from Day One, if you don’t know what you’re supposed to do by June 22, your chances of making the football team are not very high. When training camp starts, I’m not looking to wear out our team to find the best 53. To me, I’d rather wear them out in March, April, May and June.

“When we get to training camp, we’ve got to come together. We’ve got to solidify our timing and rhythm, and we’ve got to come out of the gate fast. History shows you’ve got to start fast to make the playoffs.”

Once the season starts, McCarthy has no intention of working 20-hour days and sleeping in his office. He also has no desire to fuss and fret over a game plan once it’s in place on Saturday morning.

“If it isn’t set by then, it’s already too late,” he said.

McCarthy, who will call plays from the sideline, stressed that the quarterback-play caller relationship is vital.

“The communication between the quarterback and play caller has got to be ongoing and consistent. You’re limiting your ability to succeed if you don’t do that,” he said. “When you call plays in the NFL, that quarterback has to know exactly why you called that play. He may not like it. He may want something else. But when I call that play, he has to know why I called it. If he doesn’t know, we haven’t spent enough time together.”

He said that coming together occurs during the minicamps.

“I don’t call plays off the seat of my pants. I work way too hard to operate like that. But you have to be on the same page. I refer to it as the push and pull concept. If I’m pushing the envelope as a play caller, you’ve got to have the discipline as a quarterback to pull back if it’s not there.

“ThatÃ¢à ‚¬â„¢s how you get balance. It has to be like that.”

McCarthy’s play calling is based as much on the game’s flow as it is on the opponent’s tendencies.

“Halftime adjustments are way overrated. If you wait until halftime, what the heck were you doing in the first and second quarters?” he said.

McCarthy is big on utilizing the tight end as a pass catcher.

“Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s critical to what we do,” he said. “You have to be able to attack the middle of the field.”

He also said he plans to give offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski and defensive coordinator Bob Sanders the freedom to run their units as they see fit within his philosophy.

Delegating responsibility? What a concept.

After 75 minutes with McCarthy, I don’t know if I’ll like the way he coaches, but I definitely like the way he thinks.

His office is pretty sweet, too.

MadtownPacker
04-02-2006, 07:06 AM
He also said he plans to give offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski and defensive coordinator Bob Sanders the freedom to run their units as they see fit within his philosophy.

Very un-Sherman like. It is the change of pace that was missing the last couple of years.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-02-2006, 07:13 AM
Next Havel will interview Thompson in his closet because Ted is trapped in the closet.....

:roll:

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 08:46 AM
McCarthy aboslutely HAS to be a student of Lombardi. He views the game just like him. Preparation is critical, if you wait 'til the game you're too late, all that kind of stuff.

Fosco33
04-02-2006, 10:28 AM
McCarthy is big on utilizing the tight end as a pass catcher.

“Itââ €šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s critical to what we do,” he said. “You have to be able to attack the middle of the field.”

Does M3 choose Davis with the #5 to get this or is Bubba/Lee an average enough TE combo?

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 10:32 AM
I wonder how much input he'll have in that decision. This is kind of a make-or-break choice for TT.

Fosco33
04-02-2006, 10:37 AM
It'd be interesting to see how TT and M3's styles are similar/different or if they have the same team needs in place. That being said, I'm not that sure TT has a style...

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 10:39 AM
He does, it's just not one that many people like right now.

Fosco33
04-02-2006, 10:41 AM

Can you put Teddy's style in 150 words or less?

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Quiet, reserved, sure of what he wants but not how to present it to the media, decent evaluator of talent with a flair for picking good players out of obscurity, and not willing to dive headfirst at a name unless he's sure the guy's a sure winner.

Did I do it in 150?

woodbuck27
04-02-2006, 12:56 PM

Can you put Teddy's style in 150 words or less?

Boy ! You've got me thinking about that challenge but I have to wait till the bitterness in my mouth isn't so bitter.

Style in one word would be - procrastination. I know that there is clear evidence he should not be trusted. I am just waiting for the day when Mike McCarthy gets to the reality of TT. With the team that he will supply him with.

It's still not to late for TT to recover but does he ever intend to ? What really is his agenda (priorities) ?

That takes me back to that word.

procrastination.

Scott Campbell
04-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Style in one word would be - procrastination. I know that there is clear evidence he should not be trusted.

procrastination.

"To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness."

Ok, so where does your one word description of his style include any mention of trustworthiness in it's definition?

What evidence do you have that he is habitually carless or lazy? What "clear evidence" do you have that he should not be trusted?

It's one thing to consider him inept. It's another thing entirely to defame his character.

Partial
04-02-2006, 02:11 PM
I can sum of TT in one word - Precise

He has a plan in place, and no one, not even the most influential quarterback in the world is going to change his mind. That takes guts right there, especially when you're being called out in front of the country and are going to be known as the guy that drove Brett Favre out.

I think its extremely admirable and commendable. The one other thing I'd wish he'd do is sign Grady to a 1 year contract. I think our young DTs are one year away from being solid and Grady and Pickett in the middle will let Hawk and Barnett make all sorts of plays.

Fosco33
04-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Quiet, reserved, sure of what he wants but not how to present it to the media, decent evaluator of talent with a flair for picking good players out of obscurity, and not willing to dive headfirst at a name unless he's sure the guy's a sure winner.

Did I do it in 150?

Very efficient - definitely <150. I'd generally agree with your above assessment but often wonder how much the GM should 'lead' the overall theme of the team (type of O, attitude of D, etc.) by selecting a coach with mostly similar ideas/goals. So, what do we know of Ted's high level direction for the team? How does this compare to M3's understanding of this unknown direction and the current/future staff available?

P.S. - You have about 100 to go :wink:

Fosco33
04-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Style in one word would be - procrastination. I know that there is clear evidence he should not be trusted.

procrastination.

"To put off doing something, especially out of habitual carelessness or laziness."

Ok, so where does your one word description of his style include any mention of trustworthiness in it's definition?

What evidence do you have that he is habitually carless or lazy? What "clear evidence" do you have that he should not be trusted?

It's one thing to consider him inept. It's another thing entirely to defame his character.

Scott, I agree with you that his character shouldn't be questioned without appropriate evidence. But - I think - Woody is just expressing a feeling that many other fans share and is not intending to defame M3's name. Ted has some work left with Brett, the central O-line, WRs.... The 'procrastination' evidence can only be gathered after FA and the Draft have ended.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Didn't M3 say in the article (or a different one--there are so many) that player acquisition is a 12-month-a-year endeavor. It sounds to me like he either is on board with where TT wants to go or got hired because he believes the same stuff in the first place. Like I've said a couple of times in the last couple of days, (because I just read When Pride Still Mattered) M3 reminds me A LOT of Lombardi lately.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I think TT might be a player in the June 1st cuts. Well lets hope.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 06:11 PM
Who is going to be available in June 1 cuts besided other teams' rejects? I expect a few more Canadans to show up and perhaps some NFLE talent worthy of being brought up. I expect lots of bodies in camp this summer.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Who is going to be available in June 1 cuts besided other teams' rejects? I expect a few more Canadans to show up and perhaps some NFLE talent worthy of being brought up. I expect lots of bodies in camp this summer.

Wasn't Grady a June 1st cut from the saints? There could be some guys out there that could get a chance.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 06:22 PM
My official stance on this offseason has become "Let's see what happens."

HarveyWallbangers
04-02-2006, 06:25 PM
Grady was cut in the middle of the season. He was being a pain in the ass for New Orleans. Of course, you can always find players, but the June 1st cuts are never as earth-shattering as they are made out to be (or even as they look). Thompson would go after many of them anyways.

billy_oliver880
04-02-2006, 06:38 PM
My official stance on this offseason has become "Let's see what happens."

Good approach. I guess I am really looking forward to the draft. I am expecting big things because...this is TT's approach.

Kiwon
04-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Didn't M3 say in the article (or a different one--there are so many) that player acquisition is a 12-month-a-year endeavor. It sounds to me like he either is on board with where TT wants to go or got hired because he believes the same stuff in the first place. Like I've said a couple of times in the last couple of days, (because I just read When Pride Still Mattered) M3 reminds me A LOT of Lombardi lately.

mjz, I usually keep a few books going at once. I'm still pretty early in When Pride Still Mattered and I am curious if I can see the same things that you saw when you read the book.

Specifically, in what ways do you think M3 is similiar to Lombardi? I'm assuming since M3 is a first year HC that you would begin there in Lombardi's life and work backwards down to backgrounds and character.

Anyway, I've seen you mention this book several times and maybe your insights might make it that much more interesting.

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 08:51 PM
There is the whole background and character stuff, though M3 is younger as a HC than Lombardi was when he took over. I don't think M3 is as fiery, but what I do see is that when Lombardi took over the Packers, he took a 4-inch thick playbook and knocked it down to an inch and a half. He went back to the basics. He ran a T-formation over and over until the guys could do it in their sleep. He ran the Packer sweep so precisely that even teams who knew it was coming couldn't stop it. He was blue collar (sound familiar?), Catholic (went to church daily) demanded unequaled dedication and preparation (if they don't know what to do by June 22, they shouldn't expect to make the team) and on and on. The biggest difference I've found so far is that Lombardi demanded total and complete control of the team. As you're reading the book you will notice that over and over people mention what a great psychologist Lombardi was and I also get the feeling that M3 has a feel for people as well.

BF4MVP
04-02-2006, 11:06 PM
My dad's copy of When Pride Still Mattered is on the shelf at home. I'm reading Golden Boy right now, but after I return it to the library I'm definitely gonna start When Pride Still Mattered. Is it good? My dad was talkin to one of his friends about it and he said it was a "revealing biography."

MJZiggy
04-02-2006, 11:08 PM
Fantastic. Great read.

ecwiscott
04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
It's a fantastic read......and yes very revealing.

beakerman
04-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Wasn't Grady a June 1st cut from the saints? There could be some guys out there that could get a chance.

Grady was a mid-season pick-up in 03 - one of the better moves by Sherman