PDA

View Full Version : Think about this....

VegasPackFan
12-09-2007, 06:59 PM
When TT made the move to trade for Ryan Grant very late in the pre-season, most of us thought that it was just some kind of stop-gap move to shore up the position. Instead we picked up our starter and the man that will give us the running game we need to contend.

Such a seemingly minor move by TT ends up being huge. This guy has a depth of knowledge of available talent that I think rivals any other GM. In the meantime he keeps our cap situation healthy.

gbgary
12-09-2007, 07:02 PM
it was great move but please...he got a little lucky too.

VegasPackFan
12-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Those who are most prepared seem to find the most luck.

MadtownPacker
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Grant was TT last ditch attempt if Morency, Jackson, and Wynne didnt pan out.

They didn't. TT rolled a 7 with Grant. Best move of the offseason.

GrnBay007
12-09-2007, 07:19 PM
TT rolled a 7 with Grant. Best move of the offseason.

Maybe I can talk him into going to Vegas with me. :D

Joemailman
12-09-2007, 07:42 PM
it was great move but please...he got a little lucky too.

I don't think it was luck. TT throws away draft picks like manhole covers. He wouldn't have traded that pick if he didn't think Grant was capable of being a starter.

MJZiggy
12-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Evidently one of the scouts had recruited him out of NJ for his juco stint and remembered him from then. He kinda flew under the radar at ND and it's said that the scouting dept. and therefore TT have had their eye on him for some time.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 08:06 AM
I think Thompson did get a little lucky...but as they say, the harder you work the more you get lucky.

It was a smart move to bring in someone different than Morency and Jackson. Thompson doesn't trade draft picks easily, so clearly he thought pretty highly of Grant...enough to think he could potentially be a starter if things worked out right for him.

LL2
12-10-2007, 09:35 AM
Grant is now the guy that can get it done for the Pack!

packrat
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
It is getting boooring now that all the TT haters have been handed their helping of crow. A few lingered on hoping for a collapse that could allow them to say, "I told you so," but they seem to have finally disappeared. Maybe eventually a couple of them will climb back on the bandwagon--after all, this is supposed to be about Packer success, not about Poster ego.

Tarlam!
12-10-2007, 10:27 AM
TT throws away draft picks like manhole covers.

Hey Joe, with your permission, I wanna use that line in my sig for a few weeks. Of course I will reference you as the author, just as I did with KY.

Scott Campbell
12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
I think Thompson has gotten a LOT lucky this year. We've had a lot of longshots pay off huge this year.

Tarlam!
12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I think Thompson has gotten a LOT lucky this year. We've had a lot of long shots pay off huge this year.

I think you're doing TT an injustice.

TT has instilled a reality. Play and get paid. Look at the deals he has made and contract upgrades without force majeure against him. TT is sending the right message. No expensive FA "name" people at over the top dollars. Instead, hand picked guys, if at all, and believe in what we have and the coaches.

The environment to succeed is TT's by design and his biggest accomplishment, IMO.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 11:46 AM
I think Thompson has gotten a LOT lucky this year. We've had a lot of longshots pay off huge this year.

Not really.

Young players DO pay off. That is the whole reality of sticking with a roster full of young talent that is developing rather than trying to build a team with veterans like Washington does every year. Young talent is hungry and motivated.

Partial
12-10-2007, 11:51 AM
I really feel like Thompson improved our team speed. Indirectly, other people such as Sherman and Bates contributed to that as well.

By using the scheme we are, Kampman lost a slew of weight and became a dominant force. TT added a shut down corner and a menacing run stuffer. Donald Lee is much faster than and better than Bubba. Jennings is a great deep threat. JJ makes our 3rd receivers of the last 5-6 years look like boys playing in a game with men. Barnett has really stepped his game up to take advantage of his speed and ability to make plays. Hawk is very athletic and a fast and powerful tackler. Collins is incredibly fast. Bigby plays fast. Grant hits the hole hard and fast.

It seems that not only are these guys more athletic than Packer teams of years past, but they're more assignment sure and confident in their roles.

PlantPage55
12-10-2007, 11:52 AM
It's because Ted isn't married.

I'm serious.