PDA

View Full Version : Woodson back at Punt Return??

packers11
12-09-2007, 09:23 PM
You gotta be fkin kidding me...

Coach Mike McCarthy pulled Woodson in the fourth quarter for precautionary reasons because the Packers were well ahead. Woodson was injured two weeks ago while returning a punt at Detroit and said he wants to go back to those duties. However, it’s difficult to see McCarthy exposing one of his most important players to that added injury risk again, especially considering Woodson’s replacement, Will Blackmon, returned one punt 57 yards for a touchdown.

“Taking it back over next week,” Woodson said of punt returning.

FritzDontBlitz
12-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Hell no he ain't. Blackmon looked like a punt returner, no hesitation at all. He caught it and he was gone. Besides, why would a guy fighting turf toe want to return punts on astroturf next week?

Joemailman
12-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I could see using the sure-handed Woodson in high pressure situations, such as having to field a punt close to the Packer goal line, or in late game situations. Blackmon though, has a chance to be special, and I can't imagine MM not using him.

Tony Oday
12-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Woodson should not be on special teams! he is way too important to our defense.

Partial
12-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Why does everyone care so much? He has not shown to be injury prone. It is something he is pretty good at and likes doing. He earned the starting job. Dallas, 15-1 uses Terrence Newman and Patrick Creyton on punt returns.

New England uses Wes Welker and I believe used Randy Moss a time or two this year as well.

He got hurt once doing this on a freak accident. He missed a week and was back. I'm not too concerned about him getting hurt.

Personally, I think Blackmon is better at it, but I can see why Woodson loves doing it.

Scott Campbell
12-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Why does everyone care so much? He has not shown to be injury prone.

One of the reasons Oakland didn't want him back is because he was injury prone.

BallHawk
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
It was part of the agreement when Woodson came to play here- if he wants to play ST, he plays ST.

Partial
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM

He broke a leg his last year in Oakland. I don't believe he has had any complications relating to that here. He had a bum shoulder last year but played good, and then a bad toe because it landed funny in a freak accident on the turf. No big deal.

Tony Oday
12-09-2007, 10:10 PM
WHO THE HELL CARES HE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO RETURN KICKS THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WE actually have a chance this year!

pbmax
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Going to be a severe test of McCarthy's juice. Woodson has always had a jones to play both ways. Clearly they have settled on punt returns as his extra duty.

But it makes too much sense to have Blackmon back there.

Perhaps the Packers go with 6 wides? Woodson could play a guard-eligible :lol:

Partial
12-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Going to be a severe test of McCarthy's juice. Woodson has always had a jones to play both ways. Clearly they have settled on punt returns as his extra duty.

Is that even legal? Don't you need 6 people on the LOS at all times before the snap? How would that work after?

Scott Campbell
12-09-2007, 10:49 PM

He broke a leg his last year in Oakland. I don't believe he has had any complications relating to that here. He had a bum shoulder last year but played good, and then a bad toe because it landed funny in a freak accident on the turf. No big deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2423159

Excerpt from ESPN:

In fact, Woodson, sidelined by knee and hip injuries in 2004 and by a broken leg in 2005, has not played a full 16-game schedule since 2001. He suffered the broken leg in a game against Buffalo last Oct. 23, and made just six appearances, a career low.

FritzDontBlitz
12-09-2007, 10:50 PM

Is that even legal? Don't you need 6 people on the LOS at all times before the snap? How would that work after?

No, its not possible. There has to be 7 on the line of scrimmage at the snap, and only the two outside players on the LOS are eligible to receive a pass.

The only way to have 6 eligible receivers is to have Woody play QB, shift out of the backfield while another receiver or rb stays in the backfield to receive the snap and then pass it to Woody.

Or, basically the same play they ran against Carolina when Favre lined up in the slot and DD took a direct snap, subbing Woody in Favre's place.

Zool
12-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Actually couldn't a WR report as a tackle eligible and lineup in a 3 pt stance next to a guard?

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 08:36 AM

I think Woodson has to recognize that he still isn't 100%, and at this time it is better for him to avoid punt return duty for the rest of the regular season. I don't have a problem with McCarthy telling him that he will be used again in the postseason as a returner...but Woodson should be off those duties for the rest of the regular season, and not have one gripe about it. He's paid for being an elite DB, not for being a punt returner.

Up until now, I'm not sure McCarthy thought he had anyone capable of being a solid returner outside of Woodson. If yesterday didn't change his mind, then he should not be the NFL coach of the year...because he's a moron.

That punt return TD was a thing of beauty...Blackman caught that ball in traffic, and did so perfectly with forward momentum. He's clearly faster than Woodson as well.

Cheesehead Craig
12-10-2007, 09:12 AM
It's nice having several good options for returners, isn't it?

cpk1994
12-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Woodson should not lose his job due to injury. Woodson has a legit beef.

Tarlam!
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
I want the best guy at every position every down, when healthy. I will now commit blasphemy:

Even if M3 decides to start A-Rod over the Gunslinger. Yes, I said it!

If Woodson is the best PR and he's healthy, let him do it.

If Brett is playing a critical game, even injured he's likely better than A-Rod, but if not, then play the no 2 guy.

Brohm
12-10-2007, 10:26 AM
I have no problem with Woodson returning punts...given he is the best man for the job. He should lose his job though if the guy that replaced him while he was injured is better.

MadtownPacker
12-10-2007, 10:58 AM
With Woodson you watch and hope he calls a fair catch.

With Blackmon I dont give a damn if he throws himself around like a wrecking ball.

The game at dallas without Woodson makes this an easy decision. Too bad if it pisses Woodson off.

LL2
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I agree Woodson is too important on defense to be returning punts. Why does he even want to do it. I don't even think he's that good of a returner. Give Blackmon all the return duties.

The Leaper
12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Woodson should not lose his job due to injury. Woodson has a legit beef.

He didn't lose his job to injury.

He lost it to performance. His replacement was a freaking special teams ace out there yesterday.

At some point, Woodson has to recognize he's not playing for the Wolverines at 21 years of age anymore. He's also not Desmond Howard, Deion Sanders or Devin Hester.

He's far more valuable to the team as a CB in a shallow talent pool. If he can't see that, he's an idiot. This is a team game, and Woodson should do what is best for the team and limit his chance to sustain injury.

Carolina_Packer
12-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Please God, or MM, don't let Wood return punts anymore. You take your chances with him getting hurt at his regular position and accept it, but he's a game changer when he's in at CB, way more than he is to our punt return game. Give the job to Blackmon from here on out. I'm very excited for that kid to show what he can do. That's all you hope for with some of these guys who are nicked all the time.

FritzDontBlitz
12-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Woodson has not been a very good punt returner all season He's had two decent runs and a lot of lateral razzle dazzle that usually ends with him getting clocked and knocked on his ass in an awkward position. Besides that, he came up limping toward the end of the Raiders game. Add that to the fact they will be on turf in St. Louis and it makes the idea of Woodson returning punts next week insane.

Blackmon lives for it, and he attacks the return much better than Woody does. Let the kid have it, or risk losing your 10 million dollar man to another unnecessary injury.