PDA

View Full Version : JSO Bedard : Oakland post game chat

motife
12-09-2007, 09:49 PM
: Josh of Phoenix - Greg---nice job so far in your first season with Packer Insider. I've heard Justin Harrell's name mentioned more in this 3rd quarter than I have all season. About time. Hope a healthy Harrell means more positive action from him. Do you like what you're seeing from him in this game? Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - Hey everybody, let's get the happy recap started after the 38-7 whopping of the Oakland Raiders. I watched Harrell a few times in the third quarter, and I was impressed. Look, if people are hoping Harrell is going to be a get-after-the-QB DT like a Sapp, they're looking in the wrong place. Harrell is supposed to be strong and tough to move in the running game, and he did a very good job of that from the plays I watched him on. He's really tough to move inside.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Tom of Brodhead - After Greg Jenning's TD catch in 3rd qtr it appeared that Jimmy Robinson was none to happy with Jenning's effort in getting to the endzone.Any discussion on that after the game?

A: Greg Bedard - I wasn't in the receivers' wing of the locker room, but I'm sure some of it was just Robinson being Robinson. He's a nitpicker, so Jennings might have stepped the wrong way off the line of scrimmage or something like that. I'm serious.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Josh of Amery - Greg, Just watched the replay of the Bigbi INT. On Jenkins hit on McCown you can see Bigby in view when the hit is made. Is there an automatic rule you can't hit the QB after an INT? McCown had a shot to make a play and Jenkins made sure he didn't. Your thoughts?

A: Greg Bedard - Was Jenkins' hit technically legal? Yes. But he should have known better. He took advantage of the situation and launched himself at the QB. That should be flagged. It was a good call. He could have just blocked him -- wouldn't have taken much since he outweighs him by 100 pounds. Think of it this way. If that was Sapp taking a shot at Favre, how many of you would be screaming from the rooftops that Sapp should be suspended let alone penalized for doing that. You can't kill a QB in the open field. You just can't and Jenkins knows that.
Q: Kevin of Chicago - Greg...Cliff used to tell us that the most important part of the 53 man roster was the top 2-5 players and that they needed to be playmakers. With the current state of the NFL where parity reigns and injuries being what they are, I would argue that you need better depth to continue to win after injuries. What is your philosophy?

A: Greg Bedard - I agree with you. The game has changed so much with the advent of the salary cap that you'd be lucky to have two or three playmakers. Look at the Pats teams that won championships before this year. How many playmakers were on those teams? Brady and that's about it.
Q: Buzz of Granger, IN - Harrell looked good (except on the pennalty). Do you see his playing time going up? Harrell and Montgomery were playing together. Is that the Packer future? Why was Rodgers inactive?

A: Greg Bedard - I don't know about Monty. He still doesn't look healthy to me. I know the coaches like him, but I haven't seen him fully healthy yet. Rodgers was inactive because he could miss another week with a pulled hammy.
Q: Lawrence of Lafayette, CA - On the play that Harrell was called for roughing, he drove the lineman straight back. On the next two plays he stopped the run by holding his ground and moving to the play. Did you see anything else that looked encouraging?

A: Greg Bedard - Harrell looked good to me. And a very valuable pick right now considering the injury situation. Goes to show you can never have too many DTs and quality offensive linemen.
Q: Lawrence of Lafayette, CA - Seemingly not many "NFL experts" are that impressed with Ryan Grant. All he does is run downhill, break tackles and make plays. NO, he is not AP, but with consistent line play why can't he make it as an everyday back?

A: Greg Bedard - He's won me over. But you can't just have one back in this league anymore. The Packers need to find a dependable guy to work with him.
Q: Cheezehead 4 Life of Milwaukee of thee Wisconsin - Greg, if you're Mike McCarthy, do you just allow Craig Nall to hand off to Morency and Jackson with 6 minutes left and a 24 point lead, or do you still drop back Brett Favre and put him in danger of getting hit by a very old, but very big Warren Sapp?

A: Greg Bedard - If it were up to me, I would have had Nall out there. If Favre gets hurt and Nall needs to play next week, I want to at least get him a couple of snaps. But we don't know, Nall could have been frozen solid by that time in the fourth quarter and it would have taken too long to thaw him.
Q: Jeff Boettge of The ORO Valley AZ - In one of your game time blog comments you expressed some concern on the FG kicking of Mason Crosby. And this was before he missed his 2nd of the day. Is it a case of nerves with him? He seems to have the leg to be making more than he has this year.

A: Greg Bedard - It's not nerves, that I don't have a problem with. I think Crosby is a cool customer. But for some reason, whether he's just thinking about it too much or something else, he has struggled with his mechanics in the two "bad weather" games so far -- this one and Washington. And I think all of his kicks missed left.
Q: Josh Ike of Madison, Wi - Is Grant the real deal...or are the Raiders that bad? On that note, our run defense did well!

A: Greg Bedard - Both. I thought the Raiders didn't play with a whole lot of passion today and they couldn't takle worth a darn (something the Packers suspected coming into the game). And yes, I was more impressed that the run defense was able to hold the Raiders to 85 yards on 28 carries (3.0 average).
Q: Buzz of Granger, IN - Much better officating this week. I think the NFL should clone Ed Hockulee!

A: Greg Bedard - He may get a little technical at times -- he is a civil defense attorney -- but his crews always seem to do a good job. He's very organized and detailed, and I think it continues through his crew.
Q: Pat of Houston - Is Ryan Grant a free agent after this year? If so, will he be tough for GB to resign?

A: Greg Bedard - Grant is a free agent this season, but I think he's an exclusive rights free agent (or at least a restricted free agent) so the Packers won't have to sign him to a mega deal quite yet. They'll reward him, but he can't really go anywhere.
Q: Mike of Chicago - Please explain how that was a personal foul on the Bigby return. It looked to me like McCown made a move towards Bigby. Also, why was Brandon Jackson inactive? Thanks.

A: Greg Bedard - Why Jackson was inactive is a mystery to me -- he looked fine in practice this week. It left the Packers very think at RB, though. After Morency, Kuhn would have been the back.
Q: Tom Lynum of Stillwater, MN - I know that several "in the know" experts were surprised when the Packers kept Muir and cut Birdine at the final cutdown in September. It looks like Birdine is buried fairly deeply on the Bronco depth chart at present. Any chance the Pack would give up their supplemental pick in the 2008 draft for Birdine given the injuries on the D-Line?

A: Greg Bedard - None of that is possible (I'm not even sure what you mean by supplemental). The trading deadline has long ago passed.
Q: Gern Blanston of West Yellowstone - Didnt see much of it on replays, but how "clean" was Jenkins hit on the qb during Bigby's interception return? Was it different than Sapps pelvis-crunching hit on Clifton a few years ago?

A: Greg Bedard - You mean, in the fact that Jenkins unloaded on a QB instead of an offensive lineman? I think all those after INT blocks on defenseless players should be penalties. But Jenkins should know better. QBs are a protected species in this league.
Q: Raghu of Washington DC - Greg, you've done a great job this year. Keep up the good work. How many snaps did Harrell play today and how do you think he looked? How many of the injured guys can we get back by the playoffs on the d-line? Good win by the Pack - won a potential let down game without missing a beat.

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks for the compliments Raghu. Not sure the exact number, but he played a good amount and I thought he held his ground -- which is what he is asked to do -- very well. He seems to be getting better with each game. But I would like to see him work very hard on his conditioning before next season. That's something that's holding him back in my mind.
Q: Spud Webb of Dallas - Was Koren Robinson the #4 WR today? I didn't notice Ruvell Martin out there, and I also didn't see any passes thrown to Jones.

A: Greg Bedard - The Packers only threw 23 times with 15 completions. They had a good mix going. Martin was out there.
Q: Eddie Lee Ivory of Georgia Tech - How is someone this good, able to go undrafted? Watching every single game on the Sunday Ticket, I have to honestly say that Ryan Grant looks as good as any RB in the league, Peterson and Tomlinson included.

A: Greg Bedard - Screeeeeeeeeeeech. That sound you just heard was the sound of the Packers bandwagon stopping to make sure there isn't too much drinking going on in the back with Eddie Lee and the boys. Apparently, the moonshine has been flowing. Grant's been very good so far, yes. But to say he's better than LT and AP.... On second thought, give me some of what you're drinking back there.
Q: Steven Schaub of Phoenix, AZ - This was a complete game. Too bad Detroit blew their game. Go Packers.

A: Greg Bedard - Yeah, somebody needs to check Jason Hanson's pockets to make sure they're not lined with Jerry Jones' loot.
Q: chezed of Ljuljana Slovenia - What a great win. I wish the wannbe coaches could just enjoy this season for what it is and stop second guessing every little thing. It makes me enjoy reading the blogs less and less. How could so many people think they actually know more than the people who live with these guys day in and day out? Question What was your impression of Justin Harrell today? I hope he turns into a stud just to shut up so many more of the wannbes out there.

A: Greg Bedard - Give it for the Slovakian chapter of the Packer Backers!
Q: Juan Carlos Ferrero of Miami - Do the Vikings pose a threat to win at Lambeau in January should they make the playoffs and advance past the wildcard weekend? The Purple have scored 37.3 per game since the Packers crushed them in early November.

A: Greg Bedard - They've done most of their damage against the Giants, Lions and 49ers. (Yawn).
Q: Jacob of Horicon - What is the difference between a tight end and a wide receiver that is slow but can block (like a Ruvell Martin)?

A: Greg Bedard - The difference is those wide receivers are blocking DBs. Tight ends block defensive linemen and linebackers. Big difference.
Q: kurt Pomm of simi valley - OK Greg - Is it the O-line making the runner look this good or is it Grant making O-line look that good? How did Coston and Spitz perform?

A: Greg Bedard - They all looked great today and had a hand in it. Coston and Spitz did a pretty good job. Not perfect (Spitz has trouble with blitzers) but pretty good. Grant does his part by getting through the hole fast and then not going down on the first hit.
Q: George of Chapel Hill - Greg, could you please explain to me what the coaching staff sees that makes Bigby a better choice than Rouse. He's a liability at best in pass coverage (ask Al Harris). Also what do you think of Bank's(SI) redraft. Who would you have picked? Harrell again?

A: Greg Bedard - If you saw Rouse in the strong safety spot -- where he helps a lot against the run -- you'd see Rouse exposed. Right now he doesn't get his butt down enough and isn't a very good open-field tackler. He does have a good nose for the ball, which is better for a free safety. I didn't see all the picks that Banks made, but I still like Harrell. It's way to early to judge him and he's only played a handful of times behind what used to be a veteran group. Have patience. I was glad to see that he thought the Dolphins should have picked Patrick Willis -- who is exactly who I said Miami should have drated when I did my mock draft back in my Miami days. See, I'm not so dumb.
Q: James of Brookfield - Hey Greg - late in the game I noticed Darryn Colledge in at LT. Could this be the beginning of a move back to the position he played in college for him?

A: Greg Bedard - Maybe -- and I forgot to say this at the top -- INJURY UPDATE: Clifton hurt his right shoulder in the fourth quarter and had x-rays on it. He seems to be mildly concerned with it even though the results weren't yet known. Bears watching this week.
Q: Matt of Madison - Big win with a great performance from our defense, running game, and special teams. How come all I can think about is that crown on the field at Texas Stadium?

A: Greg Bedard - I agree, I think that's a factor. I couldn't get over how big the crown was when I went down to the field. It has to be factor in games. Has to be. It's really ridiculous.
Q: Ben of Toronto - Hi Greg - Harrell was credit for 3 assisted takcles today. I heard his name mentioned twice: once for a tackle, and once for the hit to the head penalty. As the CBS production wasn't kind enough to show a replay, how did that play look - did Harrell make a bad play? How would you assess his overall performance?

A: Greg Bedard - I didn't see a good replay -- but I wanted one. Like I said earlier, Harrell did a good job today from what I saw.
Q: Nic of Andover - Hi Greg: The Cowboys and Patriots make we want to puke. What do you think about that?

A: Greg Bedard - I think you're a little jealous of the attention they're getting but you have to admit it's well deserved. But I'd like their chances if the Pack went down there again. The Cowboys, their fans and even their media is a little too cocky for a team that nearly blew a big lead to a team with Aaron Rodgers at QB and that was without maybe its best defensive player in Charles Woodson.
Q: Jeff Delvaux of Altoona, IA - I can't remember Jason Hanson ever missing a field goal in Detroit against GB, now he misses a 35 yarder that may have iced the game over Dallas. What are the scenarios for the Packers to clinch a bye week. By the way, I'm wondering where all the MM and TT haters are now.

A: Greg Bedard - If the Packers win two of their remaining three games, they clinch it without any help. I'd just focus on that.
Q: Robert of Reading, UK - Greg, did we learn anything today? Competent win against a poor team, and good to clinch the division, but anything else?

A: Greg Bedard - Uh, I don't know, how about a young team bouncing back from a tough loss at Dallas? Maybe that the Packers could pound the ball and rack up over 400 yards in offense when the temperature was about 15 degrees? How about that the offensive line has started to come together? How about that the Packers could stop the NFL's No. 3 rushing offense? How's that for starters?
Q: Andy G of Rockford, MI - Hi Greg, I have been enjoying your style in these chats. Welcome. Quick question. Is it just me or do you too sense that this defense is still on the rise? With Blackmon and Rouse gaining confidence and the return of Woodson, KGB etc, I think we might just go all the waY

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks for the compliment. I'm not sure yet since neither of the first two you mentioned play that much, none in Blackmon's case. They still need to show they can stop a passing offense with Dallas' talent. We won't know that until the NFC championship game.
Q: BZ in BA of Buenos Aires - Buenas Tardes. The special teams really looked great today. So did Grant. My question: why doesn't MM give Favre a break in the 4th quarter when we are so far ahead and let Rodgers get some experience with live bullets? Thanks for the chats.

A: Greg Bedard - Y tu tambien, BZ. Well, first off, Rodgers wasn't active because of his hamstring. Secondly, yes, I would have let Craig Nall at least handoff. Wouldn't hurt anything.
Q: Ron LaFleur of Lees Summit - Do you think that the secondary improved its play this week? If so was it more of who they were playing instead of how they played?

A: Greg Bedard - Incomplete. The Raiders were really bad throwing the ball today. Terrible, actually.
Q: Michael Mullendore of Ellicott City, Md. - A great win to re-establish momentum. Is Harris suffering any nagging injury which would impact his speed? With the clear exception of his INT, it seemed to me on several plays that he was a half step slower than usual.

A: Greg Bedard - Al Harris is 33-years old. He's just not that quick anymore in general. But he's still able to make up for it with his mind. He's able to anticipate a lot better than most players.
Q: BIG BOB of Western WISCONSIN - Is it me, or are the officials and the NFL wanting Dallas and New England in the Super bowl. The officials clearly missed pass interference against Dallas twice today. It cost Detroit at least 10 points. Its the same crap as before, Dallas is a winning team, make sure that they get to the SuperBowl. I thought only the NBA had refs that manipulated the game.

A: Greg Bedard - You guys really need to stop wasting your time with conspiracy theories. You're seeing stuff that isn't there.
Q: Rick of Beverly MA - Greg, Is it the offensive line finally learning how to zone block, the emergence of Ryan Grant or just playing against poor run defenses that has caused the improvement in the Packers run game?

A: Greg Bedard - Everybody has improved. I expected the offensive line to improve once they got consistency in personnel and, sorry to it, benched Daryn Colledge. He might be a good player eventually, but in my eyes he was the weak link on that unit. Way too inconsistent not just from play to play, but game to game.
Q: The Fatman of Bremerton, Wa - So you're saying Jenkins can't launch himself at McCown but Sapp's (according to the league) hit om Clifton was legal. I think a little clarification is in order here. After the turnover, the QB is just another player, or do we have a bit of George Orwell's "Animal Farm" going on here where some players are more equal than others ???

A: Greg Bedard - Come on Fatman, you, I and everybody else knows hits on the QB are different than all others. It's just a fact. And the players need to adjust accordingly.
Q: Jeff C. of Delafield - Hi Greg, First off, thank you again for what you do here at the Insider, as fans we all appreciate it. My questions revolves around the only negative I really want to pick at today; the screen pass, It would seem to me that the Packers have really tried to get it going the past few weeks, but it just is not taking off like they would probably want it to be. First off, would you agree with that sentiment, and if so what are the reasons it's not working?

A: Greg Bedard - Thanks and it looked to me today, when they ran a handful of screens, that I saw a few linemen whiff on their blocks in the open field. But it's an interesting question. I might asked around about it this week and see what's said.
Q: Mike of Wonder Lake, IL - Should we expect to see Spitz at LG and Coston at RG for the rest of the season?

A: Greg Bedard - Yes. Colledge wasn't benched for injury, he was benched for ineffective play. I'd watch Coston's ankle though. Saw him get up slow a couple of times. That's been holding him back.
Q: Evan of Minneapolis - GB, thanks for the chat, I wouldn't get too excited about the secondary just yet, it simply reaffirmed that we can play the run really well. Who do you think really deserves to play the safety position and the nickel back?

A: Greg Bedard - In my eyes, I would have Rouse at FS and Collins at SS. But I think the coaches don't trust Rouse having to make all the checks and calls that he has to in that position. Plus, Rouse is not a very good open-field tackler. But he's got a nose for the ball that can't be denied.
Q: Mike Smith of Green Bay - Any reason why you rarely take my questions, but Cliff used to take about 5 per chat? You like to use the vanilla, plain, repetitive ones over and over?

A: Greg Bedard - You mean, other than the "Don't answer questions from Mike Smith of Green Bay" sticker I have on the front of my computer? I don't look at names when I answer questions. I just look for a variety of topics so everything gets covered. Maybe you're one of those people who asks questions that were already answered 45 minutes ago, I don't know. Ask away. And I don't know how long Cliff chatted for, but I've got stories to write -- even more on away games.
Q: Mark of Wausau, WI - Nice to see Blackmon in there returning punts and making a couple of huge plays. Do you think we are going to continue to see him do that even when Woodson's toe injury is healed?

A: Greg Bedard - Not according to Woodson. I think his direct quote was, "I'm reclaiming that position next week." We shall see.
Q: Mark Ellis (D) of Raleigh - I know it was only the Raiders....but damn, besides one game that we should have one, and one that I think we can win next time (playing like this), I can't help but feel confident that the Packers can vie for a Super Bowl this year.....Greg, am I too optomistic?

A: Greg Bedard - No, I've long thought that a healthy Packers team can matchup and beat any team in this league. And, yes, that includes the Patriots. If the Cowboys and Packers meet up again, I think you'll see a very different Packers team. They're attitude will be completely different and they'll know what to expect with the big-game environment.
Q: Brad Pelton of Glendale - Did everyone come out of this one healthy? KGB? Woodson? Favre? Didn't Tauscher come out or something? What happened there?

A: Greg Bedard - As far as I know Chad Clifton's left shoulder is the only thing to be concerned about.
Q: Frank of New York, NY - Thanks for taking my question Greg. Why don't the Packers wear an alternate jersey once a year?

A: Greg Bedard - The Packers are one of the few teams that have decided they don't need to gouge their fanbase by wearing some pointless third jersey. Consider yourselves lucky.
Q: Justin Hein of Sacramento, CA - One route I wish the Packers would utilize more - especially when in a passing funk - is the quick toss off the snap to the WR. This pattern has been effective with K. Robinson and R. Martin. Any reason we don't do the seem with Jennings, who is terrific out in space?

A: Greg Bedard - I agree with you. When the Packers were having so much trouble with the Cover-2 defense, that quick pass to receivers was one I targeted that they could use to combat it. They did a few times after that, but I don't see why they can't use it more with Driver, especially. With Jennings, I'd worry about the pounding he would take. He's show to be kind of fragile.
Q: scott goddard of advance, nc - Why was no penalty called when the oakland defensive lineman went at Favre's legs in the second half? Favre came up limping, after taking a hard hit low. I thought this was no longer a legal hit on a quarterback in the pocket. your thoughts.

A: Greg Bedard - Favre didn't have a problem with it. Here's what he had to say on the topic: "I think his helmet caught me right on the shin and I'm sure to people watching it was one of those, 'Ooh.' It didn't particularly feel good and it was an awkward way to fall for me. I kind of went forward and was stiff-legged. I got hit a fair amount. Some seemed kind of low, but I don't think any of them were on purpose. To me, it's kind of a vague call from a referee's standpoint. Any time a player goes low, the new rule if the quarterback.... Sometimes I think he's either blocked into a guys or is stumbling or falling. It just happens that way, and to me that's what happened on that play and the other ones."
Q: Jason of Oak creek - A couple times over this year ive wrote you and said the Pack would be 13-3. your thoughts on that yet again?, just to throw it in my friend Jeff's face who said 5-11. He's too afraid to write you... Jason

A: Greg Bedard - We're all surprised by this. But, to be honest, I only said that during the season. You're talking to a guy that predicted, I think, 6-10 before the season. The real guy who deserves kudos is Bob McGinn. McGenius has the Lions winning the division and called 14-2 before the first Vikings game. Give it up for Bob.
Q: John of Las Vegas - I thought your personal attack on Najeh Davenport a couple weeks ago was unprofessional and uncalled for. Where in your writing background did you learn to attack players so? College? High School? Just poor judgment, untaught?

A: Greg Bedard - I'm not the first one to use that nickname with him. And I'm not the one that went through someone's window and....ah, forget it. If you want to defend Najeh Davenport, then you go right ahead. Have at it.
Q: John of Lansing, MI - "I'm the one that went through someone's window " A freudian slip perhaps?!

A: Greg Bedard - Good catch. Or maybe you've been checking with the New Brunswick PD.
Q: Justin Hein of Sacramento, CA - Greg, you do take multiple questions covering the same topic - that is just a fact. On behalf of the readers, I think I can say that most of us are smart enough to read all of the entries to find out what has been asked/answered. Now, please let me know if Colledge was not in the starting line-up because of injury (just kidding).

A: Greg Bedard - That's funny. I really started getting made and then I read the last line of your post. I almost went ballistic.
Q: Thomas Lehman of Scottsdale - Watching Tom Brady carve up the Steelers defense right now (32-42, 400 yards, 4 TDs, 0 Ints)...... how much do you think the Patriots would crush the Packers by right now? I realize the health of Woodson and KGB is paramount.

A: Greg Bedard - I think the Packers have the talent to match up -- ok, slow down the Pats marginally -- but the thing I would worry about is the Patriots, if they met in the Super Bowl, would have two weeks to prepare for Bob Sanders vanilla, no-blitz defense. That would scare me to death. But even before Nick Satan brought the 3-4 to Miami, Tom Brady had all sorts of trouble with that same 4-3 defense. So I don't know. I do know you need to physical with the Patriots at the line and you need somebody that can cover Wes Welker in the slot. But I do think the Packers could hang.
Q: kurt Pomm of simi valley - GB - you do a good job - no reason to apologize for anything. Any chance we'll get another shot at Cranky Cliff? Many would like to get another shot at him, especially with the Pack 11-2

A: Greg Bedard - Not sure. Maybe during the bye week if we have one. But give me another few years. I might be a little cranky myself with some of you around here. ;)
Q: John of Las Vegas - It isn't a matter of defending Najeh Davenport. It is a call out of your professionalism or lack thereof. Your writing style and answers are sophomoric at best, but when you reduce yourself to personal attacks in print, that I am sure you wouldn't make face to face, I think you need to be called out. Totally unprofessional.

A: Greg Bedard - I told my father to quit posting here. He can't get over the fact that I'm 33 a wife, two kids and living my own life. He can't let me go.
Q: Rocky Bleier of Pittsburgh - Looking for some originality: In your opinion, which if any of this current PACKER COACHING STAFF has potential HEAD COACHING in his future? Our early 90's staff under young Mike Holmgren churned out a long coaching tree. I can't see Bob Sanders ever getting an NFL Head Coaching gig, nor Kurt Schottenheimer. Anyone? Edgar?

A: Greg Bedard - Hmmmm, a good question that I haven't given much thought. Let's see. I'd say Winston Moss, but I'd shudder at the thought of him giving press conferences at the podium. He's not even remotely close to being media friendly, which is a component of the job. I guess the only guy that would even have a chance at doing it would be Robert Nunn. He's a really bright guy, personable, seems to be level-headed. He'd be the guy. All right, this, as always, has been a bunch of fun. Gotta go write a few stories. See you around the blog.