PDA

View Full Version : Packers notes: Barnett eyes some payback

Jimx29
12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Packers notes: Barnett eyes some payback

GREEN BAY -- Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk. Getting poked in the eye by Oakland Raiders center Jeremy Newberry was no laughing matter to Nick Barnett.

"He lines it up like the Three Stooges and pokes me in the eye. I'm not Curly or Moe, so I don't like that," the Green Bay Packers linebacker said after suffering a scratched cornea in his left eye in Sunday's 38-7 victory over the Raiders at Lambeau Field.

"That's just one of those NFL codes. You don't poke somebody in the eye and you don't spit in someone's face. You are messing with somebody's career. It's dirty."
Links

The play happened with 33 seconds left until halftime. Barnett said Newberry kneed him in the head while he was on the ground following a play, and when Barnett got up and confronted Newberry, the eye-poke followed. With Barnett out, the Packers went to their dime (six defensive backs) unit for the next play, which resulted in a 25-yard Jerry Porter touchdown catch.

Barnett returned in the second half with a protective eyeshield in his facemask, finishing with 10 tackles and two quarterback hurries but not exacting any direct revenge on Newberry.

"He's garbage anyway. I'm not going to waste my breath on him, like he's a good player," Barnett said.

The better revenge, Barnett said, was taking advantage of defensive coordinator Bob Sanders having him blitz "more than I've blitzed all year combined" after the four-man pass-rush struggled to generate pressure for the second straight week.

"You play with a little more intensity when someone pokes you in the eye. I actually had to sit in the locker room away from everybody for a little bit, because I was very angry. When someone pokes you in the eye, you want to take it out to the parking lot. Because that's personal, and that's disrespectful. "
http://i9.tinypic.com/6pyaz6f.gif

The Rest of the story (http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/packers/index.php?ntid=261247&ntpid=6)

gbgary
12-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Barnett IS the man!!

KYPack
12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
I'd think any front 7 NFL player would wear an eye shield. They've developed 'em so they don't fog up, why not protect youself?

Lurker64
12-10-2007, 09:15 PM
I'd think any front 7 NFL player would wear an eye shield. They've developed 'em so they don't fog up, why not protect youself?

Didn't they change the rule so you need a medical release to wear one?

Also, I think fogging up would be less of a concern than "getting scratched" or "getting all sorts of muck on it."

BallHawk
12-10-2007, 09:25 PM
"He's garbage anyway. I'm not going to waste my breath on him, like he's a good player," Barnett said.

Way to put the guy in his place, Nick. :tup:

"You play with a little more intensity when someone pokes you in the eye. I actually had to sit in the locker room away from everybody for a little bit, because I was very angry. "

I have to say, sometimes I wonder about Nick's mental state. Guy gets pretty damn jacked up sometimes.

MadtownPacker
12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Save that scared ass BS. If Barnett wasn't pissed I would be concerned. I hope one of the opponents gets in his face every week and calls him every name they can think of. I hope they talk about his whole family. Him hating them is a good thing.

Maybe Barnett can walk up to AJ during the pregame and tell him he overheard someone talking shit about his wife Laura Hawk. :lol: