PDA

View Full Version : Orton To Start For Bears

Joemailman
12-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Orton gets another chance at QB for Bears
Associated Press, Updated 1 hour ago

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) - Another quarterback switch for the floundering Chicago Bears.

Kyle Orton, who started 15 games as a rookie in 2005, returned to the role ahead of veteran Brian Griese on Monday.

Orton, who hasn't played since the season finale two years ago, will start next Monday night's game against the Minnesota Vikings in the Metrodome.

With the Bears out of the playoff picture at 5-8 and Rex Grossman expected to miss the rest of the season with a sprained knee ligament from Thursday's loss to the Redskins, coach Lovie Smith decided to go with Orton.

"Brian has done a lot of good things. We'll just try to see exactly what Kyle can do," Smith said, adding that Orton gave the Bears the best chance to win against the Vikings.

Orton was 10-5 as a starter in 2005. Grossman, who was also injured most of that season, returned to start a playoff loss against Carolina.

Orton, a fourth-round pick out of Purdue in 2005, has primarily been the team's third-string QB the past two seasons. He has not attempted a pass this season.

"I think everybody knows I've been frustrated," Orton said. "I'm going to try to make the best of it."

Smith wouldn't say if Orton would start the final two games of the regular season against Green Bay and New Orleans.

Griese has completed 61.5 percent of his passes for 1,803 yards with 10 TD passes and 12 interceptions this season.

When you see some of the guys starting at QB in the NFL, that graybeard we got playing looks better and better.

Badgerinmaine
12-10-2007, 05:54 PM
Makes sense. They need to figure out what way they're going to go at QB and now that they're all but officially eliminated from the playoffs, they may as well give Orton a shot.

Pacopete4
12-10-2007, 05:57 PM
i love the move if im a bears fan.. hate it since im a packer fan

the kid won 10 games and was never really given a fair shot, i still think he is gonna be a pretty good qb given the right opportunity, this is the guy they shoulda stuck with, not grossman

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Orton blows goat. The chances of the Vikings going 8-6 just went up.

gbpackfan
12-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Are you kidding me! I love this move. I hope he starts against the Packers. The Bears D was unreal the year he won 10 games. Trust me, Orton sucks and I hope the Bears give him a two week shot.

Pacopete4
12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
how can u say kyle orton sucks? honestly... how do u back that up? hows it possible? please give me your reasons........

Orton: 10 wins, 5 losses, 51.6%, 1869 yds, 9td 13int

Favre: 9-6 first 15 games.......

P. Manning: 3-12 first 15 games.......

how in the world can u honestly say this guy sucks?, he may suck but what is your case? because he's a bear and their qbs always suck?.. ya thats pretty intelligent

Scott Campbell
12-10-2007, 06:45 PM

how in the world can u honestly say this guy sucks?

Those two other guys managed to hold onto their starting jobs.

Pacopete4
12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
what did he do to lose it?.. can u tell me that?

Scott Campbell
12-10-2007, 06:47 PM

Apparently he got beat out by Grossman. And Greise.

Scott Campbell
12-10-2007, 06:48 PM

This is like deja vu. With Orton playing Craig Nall, and you playing the role of gureski.

Pacopete4
12-10-2007, 06:51 PM
howd he get beat out though.. thats all im asking? cuz they found a qb that doesnt lose games for them so they shit down their leg and had to go out and find a different one?

hoosier
12-10-2007, 07:01 PM
how can u say kyle orton sucks? honestly... how do u back that up? hows it possible? please give me your reasons........

how in the world can u honestly say this guy sucks?, he may suck but what is your case? because he's a bear and their qbs always suck?.. ya thats pretty intelligent

I think you make the case for Orton sucking pretty well yourself with the stats you list (other than W/L). And don't forget the QB rating below 60. Imagine what that means. Why, it's below football's version of the Mario Mendoza line. If the Bears had a decent quarterback three years ago they go 13-3 instead of 10-6.

FritzDontBlitz
12-10-2007, 07:24 PM
howd he get beat out though.. thats all im asking? cuz they found a qb that doesnt lose games for them so they shit down their leg and had to go out and find a different one?

He lost it because half of their losses with Orton at QB could have been wins if he could throw further than 5 yards downfield.

QB is not the Bears problem. Aging defense and terrible offensive linemen are the Bears' problems. That's why they are on their 3rd QB: the first two keep getting killed.

gbpackfan
12-10-2007, 07:42 PM

First off, new guy, don't you know it is a cardinal sin to defend any Bear on this website? Ha ha. :P

But seriously, are you really comparing Kyle Orton to Brett Favre and Peyton Manning? If so, you're the one with the lack of intelligence. My opinion is based on actually watching him play. Not only in the pros, but in college. In college, Orton folded like a lawn chair in EVERY BIG GAME HE PLAYED IN! Horrible. I remember talking with a co-worker before the draft that year and we both were praying that the Packers wouldn't draft him.

Secondly, 13 ints to 9 TDs is not good. He has a noodle for an arm and can't make the big play that all elite QBs are capable of making. Could Orton have made the throw that Favre made to beat the Broncos? The throw he made to beat KC? Could he have engineered the drive that Romo did to win the game on Sunday against the Lions? NO, NO and NO. I didn't base my opinion, which is still Orton sucks, off some stats found at NFL.com. I have watched the man play. He's a below average QB who should be no more then a #3 on any team. If Orton is your starting QB, your not going to win too many games. The ONLY reason why he won 10 games that year is because the D was one of the best in recent history. And how did Orton finish that season out? Hmm, I thought he was good.

And the #1 FACT that supports my claim that Orton blows is this. The Bears have been looking for a franchise QB for years now. If Orton was ANY GOOD, the Bears would have been playing him a lot more. Lovie Smith watches Orton practice day in and day out. Obviously Lovie doesn't think Orton has "it" because he has been riding the pine. The only reason why Orton is playing now is because Wrecks Gross-man is hurt and Brian Griese has played poorly. But if you ask me, Griese gives the Bears the best chance to win. But the Bears will probably be with out both Griese and Gross-man next season so they're going to give Orton every opportunity to lock down the 2008 #3 spot.

If you think for a minute that the Bears are going to go into the 2008 season with Kyle Orton as their QB, then you're not the brightest bulb in the Christmas tree.

Merry Christmas!

4and12to12and4
12-10-2007, 08:04 PM
We better hope they don't acquire Derek Anderson, or we're screwed, if they get a franchise QB and the Vikings Jackson continues improvement, we will have the best division in football bar none.

Joemailman
12-10-2007, 08:22 PM

He went 10-5 on a team with a dominant defense that gave up about 12 PPG. The Bears also had an outstanding running game with Thomas Jones rushing for over 1300 yards. If Orton were any good, the Bears would have lost maybe 2 games. The Bears won 10 games despite him, not because of him.

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 08:30 PM

Hilarious! This is your argument FOR Orton?

Orton = 10-5 with 59 passer rating (HORRIBLE!)

Favre = 9-5 with 85 passer rating (good) in his first season in Green Bay. Favre completed 64%, 3200+ yards, 18 TDs, 13 ints. It doesn't take a pro scout to determine why laser arm Favre was intriguing as a prospect and noodle arm Orton is not.

As someone else pointed out, Chicago gave up an average of 12.6 points/game in 2005 (#1 in the NFL).

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Anderson will most likey be a Viking next season from what I'm hearing. If they lose out on him, they will try to land McNabb. iF i WAS A bEARS FAN, i'D WANT TO GIVE oRTON A SHOT, why not??

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
Pure speculation, and probably completely false. Right now, all indications are that the Vikings are going to stick with Tarvaris Jackson. If they do, I doubt McNabb would want to sign in Minnesota and there would be no reason to trade for Derek Anderson (who is a RFA). Who knows if McNabb even liked Childress.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
He is an RFAS who is ahead of the QB they want on the field. Jackson will definitely get some competition in camp nexty year for the Vikes and my bet would be McNabb with Anderson right behind.

pbmax
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
That's really the question of the off-season isn't it?

Derek Anderson versus Mighty Quinn

Which one is Phillip Rivers and which one is Drew Brees?

And is McNabb the consolation prize or the best option?

I think a QB helps the Vikings more than the Bears, if that defense is truly old there doesn't seem to be much depth. Vikings just need upgrades in the secondary.

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
He is an RFAS who is ahead of the QB they want on the field.

They want him on the field eventually, but if they make the playoffs, I'm betting they'd be more than happy to bring Anderson back for that final year--unless they get a deal that's too good to pass up. Why would Minnesota want to give up a lot if they think Jackson is the long-term answer?

Jackson will definitely get some competition in camp nexty year for the Vikes and my bet would be McNabb with Anderson right behind.

Why? He showed less last year and they didn't bring in competition. Now, he's actually playing solid football.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:50 PM
To give a vet team and vet QB just in case in terms of Donovan and in regards to Anderson, it will come down to what they can get in return.

outflow
12-10-2007, 09:01 PM
http://stillfootball.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/orton.jpg

Bossman641
12-10-2007, 09:08 PM
http://campussqueeze.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/orton8-1.jpg

pbmax
12-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Isn't the thinking that the Browns don't want to spend the money on the high RFA tender AND then lose him to FA without anything coming back?

What is the cost of the RFA, 1st and 3rd for next year?

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Isn't the thinking that the Browns don't want to spend the money on the high RFA tender AND then lose him to FA without anything coming back?

What is the cost of the RFA, 1st and 3rd for next year?

I don't know about next year, but the 1st and 3rd tender was $2.3M this year. The 1st round tender was $1.8M. The 2nd round tender was $1.3M. Those aren't big numbers. I can't imagine it going up much next year.

pbmax
12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe not, Harvey might be on to something. The 1st and 3rd tender is only $2.562 million. So they don't get anything back, but its a reasonable price for a backup QB. Since Quinn makes starter's money, its a wash.

digitaldean
12-10-2007, 09:47 PM

He was serviceable at best. Remember Orton had the Bears D scoring TDs almost at will. Now they are on the downside (age, injury, Free Agency, etc.).

Pacopete4
12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
my point wasnt to say orton is favre... nor anything close to it.. favres my favorite of all time, best ever...

my point was to show that he won... won 10 outta 15 games, which in the nfl is very hard to do.. and for his stats, 5 ints came in one game which says in 14 games he had 9 tds to 8 ints.. he did his job to a ''T'' and as a ROOKIE.. Ben Roethlisberger was accused of the same thing his first year.. won a ton of games, set a record i believe, but was told he is not a good qb.. well look at him now

GrnBay007
12-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Well, 3 QB's starting in one year. Really makes you wonder what the Bears plans are for next year.

Rastak
12-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Well, 3 QB's starting in one year. Really makes you wonder what the Bears plans are for next year.

The draft in a year where there are several decent QB prospects. Not sure what their cap space is like (to try the FA market).

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
I think the Bears are more likely to get McNabb or Anderson. The Vikings can legitimately say Tarvaris Jackson--for the first time since he was drafted--is the QB of their future without being laughed at. I think the jury is out, but he's actually showing promise. If he is that guy, then McNabb or Anderson isn't going to want to go to Minnesota. The Bears have nothing at QB.

Rastak
12-10-2007, 11:36 PM
I think the Bears are more likely to get McNabb or Anderson. The Vikings can legitimately say Tarvaris Jackson--for the first time since he was drafted--is the QB of their future without being laughed at. I think the jury is out, but he's actually showing promise. If he is that guy, then McNabb or Anderson isn't going to want to go to Minnesota. The Bears have nothing at QB.

Harv, I'm not sold yet but he's played ok the last few weeks. I know the coaching staff loves Jackson so they must have seen something every day in practice and meetings. They rushed him WAY too fast though if you ask me. He is progressing though.

For the Bears, I agree. They really don't have any QB's that seem to have potential. Draft is deep, but maybe they can get McNabb for a 2nd rounder. I wouldn't give up more than that but I'd deal a 2 for him in a heartbeat.

GrnBay007
12-10-2007, 11:42 PM
It would be freaky to see McNabb in a Bear uniform.

the_idle_threat
12-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Methinks McNabb is just about washed up. He can't stay healthy anymore, and given the O-line situation in Chicago, things don't look to change with the change of scenery. I'd LOVE to see Chicago blow a huge wad to bring Donovan home. I think he'd be a bust who ruins their cap situation for a good long time.

Rastak
12-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Methinks McNabb is just about washed up. He can't stay healthy anymore, and given the O-line situation in Chicago, things don't look to change with the change of scenery. I'd LOVE to see Chicago blow a huge wad to bring Donovan home.

I'm not sure he's done quite yet....maybe. He should be healthy next year...he might have something left in the tank, he's a step up from the slop they are fielding now.

the_idle_threat
12-11-2007, 12:18 AM
When healthy, he's definitely better than the guys they have. But "when healthy..." is the rub. McNabb just turned 31, and his body probably feels much older than that.

The game he played last Sunday is the first game he's played in December since 2004. He even missed the first December game the Eagles played this season.

A star player who is good enough to command huge bank, but fragile enough to get knocked out by Thanksgiving each year, is just the kind of tease that makes a team a long-term loser. "If only so-snd-so had stayed healthy" won't win a team any Super Bowls.

GoPackGo
12-11-2007, 11:31 AM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff279/patroto/ortonmontage.jpg

Orton starting! Let's party!

3irty1
12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Anderson going to someone in our division would be a disaster. That guy's the real deal.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Anderson going to someone in our division would be a disaster. That guy's the real deal.

2nded. I have a hunch Cleveland keeps him. That team has been down and out too long to take a risk of going from solid to inexperienced.