PDA

View Full Version : Opening line: Patriots by 27 over the Jets.

Badgerinmaine
12-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Wow...
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10522742

The story goes on to say the line dropped quickly to 24, but still, that's a heckuva big point spread. Lord knows what it'll be the next week against Miami.

gbgary
12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
take the pats to cover!!!!

Pacopete4
12-10-2007, 06:46 PM
i agree with steve young, ya cant believe im sayin that but.. he said if a team in the nfl comes mentally prepared to the game, there is now way they should get blown out and i understand what hes saying.. these guys are still world class athletes and yea, the patiots are better but in no way should u be getting blown out if u lay it on the line every play like the eagles, ravens did

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:37 PM
If the Eagles and Ravens played every game as they did against the Pats, they wouldn't be in the situations they are presently in.

Bretsky
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
27 pt favorite should come as no surprise

The Pats just played the #1 rated pass defense in the NFL and shredded them

I thought they might be coming back to earth, but it now looks like teams have to hope they are off their game to compete

The first step to competing is having a good enough DL to rush Brady and hit him many many times w/o giing up the big play. Easier said than done

3irty1
12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Lets not forget that this is the team they are the most pissed at. They are going to send a message.

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
The guaranteeing a win stuff might have been one of the dumbest things I've heard in a while

pbmax
12-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I think you might have read the spread wrong, are you sure it didn't say 27 touchdowns? :lol:

KYPack
12-10-2007, 09:54 PM
27 points is the largest spread I've ever seen in a Pro game.

That must be the record.

Anybodty know?

007?

GrnBay007
12-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Looks like 27 is the highest point spread ever.

I found this...

On November 25, 2007 a new record was set for the largest point spread in regular season NFL history. That night, the spread for the Patriots-Eagles game was New England -24 vs Philadelphia. The Patriots won the game 31-28.

The previous record was 23 in 1993 (San Francisco -23 vs Cincinnati (SF did not cover, they won 21-8).

and for road games...

20 points was the most and it was the Patriots at Baltimore this year.

Jimx29
12-10-2007, 10:31 PM
There's far to much irony going on to stop N.E. from getting beat by the Dolphins.

Take that to the bank :|

GrnBay007
12-10-2007, 10:47 PM
I don't know, I find the whole point spread thing very fascinating. I know it's a tool to keep the betting money coming in somewhat even on each team, but it's pretty freaky how close they call so many games. A game can have a 3.5 spread and one team can completely dominate one half and many times the final score is still a 3 pt. difference. Probably not something you notice unless you've followed it over time.

The point spreads in the NE games this season have been crazy.

Badgerinmaine
12-11-2007, 08:03 AM
If the Eagles and Ravens played every game as they did against the Pats, they wouldn't be in the situations they are presently in.
Well, if you can do that, maybe. But I thought Boomer Esiason had a point broadcasting the Monday Night game on Westwood One...the one where the Colts were up by thirty in the second quarter. He said the Raves' fans and players threw so much energy to stopping the Patriots and their winning streak that they had nothing left the next week against the Colts, and Peyton Manning and friends were able to eat them alive. The Colts could have won that game 70-10 if they had wanted to do so. I think it's hard (especially on a team out of the race) to get sky-high every week.

Badgerinmaine
12-11-2007, 08:09 AM
27 points is the largest spread I've ever seen in a Pro game.

That must be the record.

Anybody know?

007?

Combining what the CBS story I linked previously with this story from the New York Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/11/sports/football/11patriots.html?em&ex=1197522000&en=39f8a2df82de4ab9&ei=5087%0A
there has never been a spread in an NFL game over 24 points (last seen with the 49ers over the Bengals in the early 1990s). The spread is now at 24 1/2 and that would be a record.

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Being a 27 point underdog has to motivate a defense. If the Jets have any pride, they will come out and try to punch the Pats in the mouth.

I doubt I could ever lay 20+ points in the NFL...it just isn't easy to beat someone that badly, regardless of how good your team is.

RIPackerFan
12-11-2007, 08:36 AM
If I was a NE fan, this is the game I would be scared of the most - and its not due to a fear of a loss.

The Jets hate the Patriots, the Patriots hate the Jets. Their coaches hate each other.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Pats will try to embarrass the Jets and if that happens, watch out. With all that hatred - there is no doubt in my mind the game will get chippy.

While they are professional football players, if the Jets feel that the Pats are purposely running up the score, there is no doubt in my mind that there will be some cheap shots.

And that is what would scare me as a Pats fan. The best thing for the Pats is for the game to be close.

Partial
12-11-2007, 10:28 AM
IMO its still a safe bet to put some money on the Pats.