PDA

View Full Version : J-Walk Hardlines Himself Out of a Job?

vince
12-10-2007, 08:05 PM
I know Walker's ancient history at this point, but here's yet another TT decision that is reaping big benefits after the dust has settled.

Stokley's emergence putting Walker's future in jeopardy
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/10/2007 12:45:55 AM MST

It's time to wonder about Javon Walker's future with the Broncos.

Discomfort in a surgically repaired knee, coupled with the emergence of veteran Brandon Stokley as the No. 2 receiver, were factors in the Broncos' decision to not dress Walker against the Chiefs. Walker watched the game from the press box and declined comment.
The Broncos' No. 1 receiver last year and to begin this season, Walker has just three catches since the second game of the season. He underwent arthroscopic knee surgery Oct. 19 and has not recovered as hoped.

Walker is due $4.4 million in option bonuses during the offseason, so he would likely have to accept a restructured contract if he is to return next year.

Meanwhile, Stokley, a prototypical slot, or No. 3, receiver throughout his career, has excelled in the No. 2 wideout spot to the point the Broncos just gave him a three-year extension. He beat Ty Law on a broken pattern for a 21-yard touchdown reception on the game's opening possession.

MTPackerfan
12-10-2007, 08:07 PM
that is too bad. I really feel sorry for him.. Maybe he can get a big contract form someone else since he is so under appreciated at Denver. :cry:

KYPack
12-10-2007, 08:10 PM
I stopped worrying about Walker when Jennings emerged last season.

But I do want to see him get screwed out of that big check.

He got little money last season, this 4.4 is his payday, isn't it?

vince
12-10-2007, 08:11 PM
BTW, FWIW, the Packers traded Walker and ended up with Johnny Jolly, Will Blackmon, and Daryn Colledge. I think that trade has worked out quite well in our favor.

The trade looks particularly impressive considering TT also acquired the rights to Greg Jennings, who was ultimately acquired along with Jason Spitz for Chad Jackson. I think I like that trade too.

vince
12-10-2007, 08:13 PM
I stopped worrying about Walker when Jennings emerged last season.

But I do want to see him get screwed out of that big check.

He got little money last season, this 4.4 is his payday, isn't it?
I'll look it up, but I'm pretty sure he got about a $10mil payday this year as a roster bonus...

b bulldog
12-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Great post Vince, I guess TT did yet another good move.

Joemailman
12-10-2007, 08:27 PM
How could we let J-Walk get away. TT is an idiot.

Cheesehead Craig
12-10-2007, 08:28 PM
BTW, FWIW, the Packers traded Walker and ended up with Johnny Jolly, Will Blackmon, and Daryn Colledge. I think that trade has worked out quite well in our favor.

The trade looks particularly impressive considering TT also acquired the rights to Greg Jennings, who was ultimately acquired along with Jason Spitz for Chad Jackson. I think I like that trade too.
Damn. I keep forgetting what we got out of that deal.

vince
12-10-2007, 08:33 PM
It's a little hard to determine what's guaranteed money and what isn't, but it appears that the $10.7mil he was due when the final five years of his contract were exercised by the team this year is about $6.3 already paid and $4.4 due next year... He also converted $3.2 mil of his roster bonus into signing bonus, so the team could get under the cap this year.

No matter how you slice it, Denver is going to end up very sore in the ol' backside thanks to ol' J-Walk.

http://profantasysports.com/reports/index.php?sport_ID=1&search_by=player&value=1052138
It was Javon Walker's impressive first season that caused the Broncos to trigger the final five years of his contract. In recent days, Denver exercised the option bonus that was due Thursday. Had Denver not exercised the option, Walker would have become a free agent when the NFL league year begins March 2. As part of his $43 million deal, Walker was due $10.7 million this offseason with the majority due Thursday. Another portion is due next year. Once Walker proved he was healthy, the Broncos were certain to exercise the option with the aim of keeping him for the long term.

The Broncos received salary-cap relief from receiver Javon Walker. The team saved about $3.2 million as Walker converted a roster bonus into signing bonus money. (Denver Post)

pbmax
12-10-2007, 08:40 PM
I don't know how hurt Walker is now after the second surgery, but Stokely is not a long term answer as a number 2. Beating Ty Law is one senior citizen besting another.

Walker cannot win for losing. He got his deal, played his butt off last year, got 60% paid and now might miss the rest.

I wonder if, even while injured, he had stayed with the Pack if he would have gotten more money on a redone contract in his final year.

digitaldean
12-10-2007, 09:30 PM

Think we should PM that to Woody?!? :)

Carolina_Packer
12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
I wish him no harm. I thought his heavy-handed tactics to get shipped out of town stunk on ice, but it could have just been face saving, since he threatened to hold out, reported to camp, got hurt in the first game of 2005 and was probably clinging to a false hope that his "loyalty" would be rewarded. Threats of hold-outs may be one of the only recourses that a player feels like he has, but Walker took it to a ridiculous level of animosity. Who knows what was ever said behind closed doors. Hell, it was unfortunate that his injury happened, but if a player like J-Walk and McKenzie feel like they have to behave that way to get an extension, then forget them. If you spend too much time worrying about getting yours, you might end up more than you bargained for.

the_idle_threat
12-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Walker offended the football Gods. In his case, payback from the football Gods is unforgiving and harsh. But no worries ... somebody will overpay him big time in the offseason based on his potential, so he'll get his lucre.

Fritz
12-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Anybody know how Chad Jackson is doing? Lots of posters wanted TT to take him (I believe I was one of them).

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Anybody know how Chad Jackson is doing? Lots of posters wanted TT to take him (I believe I was one of them).

The fact I have no idea is probably a sign of just how well he is doing.

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 08:13 AM
I don't know how hurt Walker is now after the second surgery, but Stokely is not a long term answer as a number 2. Beating Ty Law is one senior citizen besting another.

I would agree with that. Walker is certainly a better receiver than Stokley, when healthy.

I also agree that this is a case of the football gods taking issue with Walker's ridiculous hissy fit. No WR who has half a brain lobbies to get himself removed from a team where Brett Favre is QB. Favre has made several rather mediocre WRs quite wealthy.

Walker would've made plenty of coin if he had shown a little patience.

Badgerinmaine
12-11-2007, 08:13 AM

It's not exactly overwhelming:
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/413485
but given some of the other Patriots options at wide receiver, I guess I'd cut him a little slack 8-) He's almost exclusively returning kicks.

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 08:28 AM
He's almost exclusively returning kicks.

Doesn't appear to be doing overly well in that aspect either.

cpk1994
12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
How could we let J-Walk get away. TT is an idiot.
Nice impression of Woody! :D

Patler
12-11-2007, 09:51 AM

and also Tyrone Culver, who is on injured reserve, and Ingle Martin.

The Walker trade set up the whole draft.

Walker was traded for Pick #37
#37 and #139 were traded for #47 (Colledge), #93 and #148 (Ingle Martin)
#93 was traded for #109 and #183 (Johnny Jolly)
#109 was traded for #115 (Blackmon) and #185 (Culver)

So Walker and the Packers pick #139 netted Colledge, Blackmon, Martin, Jolly and Culver.

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 10:09 AM
So Walker and the Packers pick #139 netted Colledge, Blackmon, Martin, Jolly and Culver.

Just an example of why trading down to acquire additional picks when the opportunity presents itself is such a good philosophy.

Fritz
12-11-2007, 11:43 AM

and also Tyrone Culver, who is on injured reserve, and Ingle Martin.

The Walker trade set up the whole draft.

Walker was traded for Pick #37
#37 and #139 were traded for #47 (Colledge), #93 and #148 (Ingle Martin)
#93 was traded for #109 and #183 (Johnny Jolly)
#109 was traded for #115 (Blackmon) and #185 (Culver)

I am frankly a little uncomfortable with this post. Patler's been away and I'm unused to having to actually deal with facts. My style is being cramped. No longer can I make wild fantastical assertions that have no basis in reality. Ted didn't get a damn thing for Walker! He let Mike Wahle walk when the Packers were six million under the cap! Mike Sherman never drafted a punter in the third roundd!

Damn.

vince
12-14-2007, 11:52 PM
The latest word from J-Walk. This clown is incorrigible.

The reader comments are pretty good...

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_7705255

Walker looking forward
WR eager to return next season, but without a pay cut
By Mike Chambers
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 12/12/2007 11:56:05 PM MST

Broncos wide receiver Javon Walker, who has been inactive for eight of 13 games because of a knee injury, said Wednesday he is looking forward to returning to the team next year — but he doesn't want to take a pay cut despite his struggles.

Walker, 29, is scheduled to make $7.6 million next season, with a $5.4 million option bonus coming due. If Walker's knee continues to be a concern, the Broncos could attempt to restructure his contract or could save $4.4 million in bonus money if they were to cut him before next season.

"My big deal didn't kick in until this year," Walker said. "I went into the season got injured, and couldn't play as many games and couldn't perform at the level I'm capable of, and then at the end of the year, you ask me to take a pay cut, right when it just kicked in?
"It's not like I was into the deal three, four years, and I'm getting ready to hit a base salary. I haven't been a full year into this deal (since) March.

"I'm looking at it as, I feel like I still have my best years to come."

Walker said he hopes to be a part of an explosive receiving corps, playing alongside Brandon Marshall and Brandon Stokley.

"You get an offense where you're spreading the ball between Stokley and Marshall and myself, it's potent," Walker said. "Nobody can stop us. Obviously, we know what we have to work towards when we get to '08, and that's just exciting. I'm just looking forward to just getting back to full speed, because I know what I can do when I'm 100 percent."

Walker would like reestablish his value at the end of this season, but says he still will not be 100 percent healthy until the offseason. He is questionable for tonight's game at Houston, but said he expects to play after practicing Tuesday and Wednesday.

"I might not be 100 percent, but I'm confident knowing that I can beat anybody," Walker said. "When the adrenaline is rushing and it's game day, I can still beat any corners out there."

Mike Chambers: 303-954-1357 or mchambers@denverpost.com