PDA

View Full Version : Press Gazette Chat Monday

motife
05-16-2006, 08:13 PM
Lori k , Eau Claire, Wi.: Will the press let up on Brett Favre now, forget retirement and just let us enjoy the time he has left as the Packers quarterback?

Rob Demovsky: Lori- So as a fan, you don't have interest in knowing if this is his last year or how much longer he intends to play? I'm guessing most people are curious about that. In fact, I found it absurd that during his news conference during the last minicamp, 14 minutes and 30 seconds went by before a reporter asked him if this is going to be his last year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks for the chat, Mr. Demovsky. This question has to do with the uniforms of the Packers. I have seen "alternate" yellow jerseys for sale, and I don't understand why they have them. We have never worn them, and I haven't heard of any plan to wear them, either. Any idea if/when we will wear them? Thanks again.

Rob Demovsky: Nik- I haven't seen them, but my guess is teams will do anything to make a buck. If people buy them, they'll make them. I can't imagine they have any plans to wear a so-called alternate jersey unless it was a throwback like they wore in the Thanksgiving game at Detroit a few years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Powerball Express, Texas: Rob- As tough as it was last year for the Packers, when you looked at the level of talent that was actually on the field for Green Bay, it's a wonder we were even competitive and yet we could have easily have won three or four more games had we not been so casual about turning the ball over. We seemed to have slightly solidified the talent level and even increased it slightly depending who you talk to. If the Packers simply don't turn it over so much along with the talent level we have right now, is it beyond reality to think we could go 8-8 or 9-7? People can say what they want about Sherman's toughness, but he clearly tolerated turnovers far to easily. Does McCarthy strike you as a coach who simply will be more intolerant of that.

Rob Demovsky: Powerball-- Other than maybe the 49ers last year, what NFL team wasn't competitive in almost every game. The league, by its very nature, is competitive. There aren't many blowouts like you see in college football, where the talent levels can be so different. The Packers were 4-12 because they were a bad team (and an injured team) not because they didn't get a few breaks. It's too soon to say whether McCarthy will be more like Holmgren, who did things to correct mistakes, or more like Ray Rhodes and Sherman, who talked about doing that but never really did enough to do so.

BigMike, Camarillo,CA: Rob, Why, after creating animosity with McKenzie and Walker who wanted their contracts re-negotiated with two years remaining, did Ted T. all of a sudden do an about-face and give Donald Driver an extension at the same point in his contract? Is it just that Driver asked nicely and the other two were jerks about it?

Rob Demovsky: BigMike- That's a great question, and one I asked of Ted Thompson when I discovered he had given Driver the extension. He wouldn't really answer the question, but from talking to a few others in the organization it appears there were several factors: 1. Driver was grossly underpaid, and the team felt an obligation to take care of a player who had performed well and who, they thought, still had a few good years left in him. 2. Driver went about in a more professional manner than Walker or McKenzie. 3. It sent a message that the Packers do take care of their players. There's probably other factors, too, but that's people I've talked to have told me.

Cy, Hemet, CA: I'm hearing that KGB has added size, can you tell us how much he has added?Thanks!

Rob Demovsky: Cy- I didn't get a chance to watch KGB closely during the last minicamp, so I can't honestly say one way or the other. I will make a point to check him out during the next camp, which is this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Ben G., Tulsa, OK: What happened to the kicker Rhys Lloyd? It sounded like he had a stronger leg than Longwell on kickoffs and FG distance.

Rob Demovsky: Ben- I never got the chance to see Lloyd because he was cut before the first minicamp, but in general terms a lot of guys with so-called "big legs" don't have much accuracy.

Andy, Hastings, MN: Hey Rob- I saw a breakdown of the Pack's position-by-position depth chart recently, and overall it looks okay, but are you worried about the running back situation? We're a Gado hamstring away from going through the majority of camp with Noah Herron, and we're implementing a whole new system. It just seems real tenuous right now. Any other spots that concern you more?

Rob Demovsky: Andy- I don't worry about that stuff. That's not my job. But if I were Ted Thompson or Mike McCarthy, I'd probably be a tad concerned simply because there's no way to know if Ahman Green will return to form or if Najeh Davenport will ever stay healthy or if Gado was a fluke. The other spots that would concern me would be guard, center, receiver, kicker, punter, the second safety spot and the third linebackers spot. Oh, and don't forget kickoff returner and punt returner.

Mad Dog, East Texas: Rob- This question is about Jim Bates and the defense. First of all right after his interview for the head coach position, he called Favre and spoke as if he had the position. Is that really what you would want to hear out of a head coaching candidate? I loved Bates but I wasn't to keen on that action. Secondly do you think he might be thinking he was too hasty in quitting over being upset he didn't get the job he practically announced he had gotten. And will Bob Sanders be a good replacement. Is he passionate enough for that position and do you think he was kept more for continuity than he was for talented enough for the job?

Rob Demovsky: Mad Dog- There's no way to know if Bates is regretting his decision. All I know is he wanted badly to become a head coach, and when it didn't happen for him, he decided to sit out. I'm sure he's made enough money that he doesn't have to work again. As for Bob Sanders, he's spent enough time under Bates to learn his scheme, but until he does it, there's no way to know if he inherited the qualities that made Bates special.

Agent Orange, The Great Southwest: RD, I always thought Sherman over analyzed everthing to death an never seemed to be confident in what he was trying to establish. One week it seemed like they did one thing and then the next week it was something else. He seemed like an emotional handwringer who hardly would exude confidence in his conviction or approach. Perhaps I was spoiled by Holmgren who just was totally confident in everything and it showed. Has McCarthy made any kind of impression on you in his demeanor, assistant coaches selections, and overall approach.

Rob Demovsky: Agent Orange-- There's no doubt Sherman was a patient, analytical man who, among other things, was probably guilty of over thinking things. After one minicamp, it's impossible to tell how McCarthy will respond when the heat is on.

Fat Willie, Overton: Robert, My turn on the computer. How did Rogers look? Has he made progress? Also I think most people expect great play out of Hawk, but do you think we might have actually hit on Hodge, Jennings, and Colledge. Hodge seems very intense, Colledge almost seems like Frank Winters. Confident, and Jennings just seemed to have a good grip on things. Did any of those three standout to you?

Rob Demovsky: Fat Willie- Rodgers definitely stood out. In fact, I asked one of the Packers scouts who was at all four minicamp practices who impressed him, and the first guy he mentioned was Rodgers. He looked far more confident running an NFL offense. He didn't settle for as many check downs as he did last year and showed good arm strength and touch on the deep ball. He also looked stronger in his upper body. It's way too soon to make any major judgements about the rookies, especially the linebackers and linemen because those were essentially non-contact drills, but Jennings looked naturally skilled as a route runner. The other guy who stood out to me amongst the rookies was cornerback Will Blackmon. He plays the ball better than Ahmad Carroll ever did.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: Mr. Demovsky what is the lastest on Reggie McKenzie and the Houston job?

Rob Demovsky: Kimberly- As of late last week, the Texans had not called Ted Thompson to ask permission to interview McKenzie. League rules require them to do so.

Patrick Fuller, Edmond, OK: About a month or so before the draft, Charlie Casserly knows he's gone in Houston.....Casserly starts talking with the NFL......Casserly convinces McNair & Kubiak that Mario Williams is a better selection then Reggie Bush....leaving Reggie Bush to land in New Orleans, a city still not even remotely a shadow of it's former self, pre-Katrina...Tom Benson is the new Al Davis....Season Ticket sales sky rocket.....Am I the only one questioning whether or not Oliver Stone has been hanging around New Orleans recently? This all seems a little too orchestrated....it may also be that it's too easy, which makes it absurd...

Rob Demovsky: Patrick- If nothing else, it's an interesting theory. I've often wondered why teams make changes to their personnel staff after the draft. Wouldn't it make more sense to do that stuff right after the season and let the new guy run free agency and the draft?

TonyG, Pheonix: Speaking of KGB, I thought the consensus was last year that, while he wasnt getting many sacks, that he had greatly improved against the run, as was evidenced by with increased tackles total. Was that not the case last year?

Rob Demovsky: Tony- I don't think that was the case. I can remember watching him specifically get swallowed up against the run.

Ron Vale, Chicago: Rob, I know that the Packers are thrilled with Nick Barnett in the middle but is there any chance he could move to the outside if Hodge looks like the 3rd best LB?

Rob Demovsky: Ron- It would be interesting to see what would happen if Hodge was in the top three. He's not a natural strong-side backer, but in this defense they don't have a traditional SAM, so maybe they would leave Hodge outside and keep Barnett in the middle.

Dave, Chicago: Any further rumblings on who the Packers may bring in to be 3rd string QB? Would they bring in no one and go with the rookie?

Rob Demovsky: Dave- I would be surprised if the three QBs on the roster come September 1 aren't Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers and Ingle Martin. Unless Martin totally breaks down, they've got to keep him after investing a fifth-round pick in him.

Peter, Othello WA: Rob, Not much of a qustion, but a comment. I, for one, am gratified to hear McCarthy and TT talk about "Packer People". After all, the franchise history, atmosphere and culture are certainly unique in the NFL. I am also gratified to see that TT is evaluating prospects as football players and not according to the varius "measurables" that get tosssed around with such presumed urgency. Look at Dwight Freeney and Bob Sanders from the Colts (or Kampman for that matter). None of them should have been successful because anyone could see they were too short, too samll, too slow (whatever) to play their positions. Your reaction? And, thanks for chatting. Peter

Rob Demovsky: Peter- I, for one, think the term "Packer People" is a bunch of hooey.

TonyG, Phoenix: Hi Rob, Thx man. I was really excited when I first saw the signing of Woodson, until I saw the numbers of the deal. I found it hard to believe they gave a player with that injury past so much $ and would subject themselves to salary-cap hell if he cant stay healthy. Then, I think I saw an article on your site which basically said that they could opt out any time after year 2 without much of a salary cap hit. Is that correct? Any futher details would be appreciated.

Rob Demovsky: Tony- My co-worker Pete Dougherty wrote a story about the breakdown of Woodson's contract. Here's the nuts of the contract (this is copied from Pete's story): On paper, Woodson.s seven-year is worth $37.1 million plus a weekly $56,000 45-man roster bonus he can earn every game from 2007 through 2012. However, considering Woodson.s age and the structure of the contract, the deal more realistically is for probably three years. If looked at as a three-year contract, it.s worth $15.5 million plus up to nearly $1.8 million maximum in roster incentives, and if viewed as a two-year deal it.s worth $12.253 million plus up to nearly $900,000 in roster incentives.

Dan, Milwaukee: Any chance for getting someone to put pressure on the QB? Would Cullen Jenkins at DE be an option to keep KGB from being worn down?

Rob Demovsky: Dan- Jenkins is basically an inside rusher. I can't remember him ever lining up on the outside.

Chris, Iron Mtn, MI: Any word on if there will be a Family Night scrimmage again this year? Inter-squad or against another NFL team?

Rob Demovsky: Chris- I haven't heard either way about a Family Night scrimmage, but the training camp schedule hasn't been announced yet. I asked Mike McCarthy about the training camp plan a few weeks ago, and all he would say is it's almost done. I know he was considering scrimming with the Chiefs, but I don't know where that stands.

Kimberly, Sheboygan, Wi: I was wondering if you got to see the contract for Driver ? Also who has the better contract Driver or Walker?

Rob Demovsky: Kimberly- I haven't studied Walker's contract, but I did get the numbers on Driver's deal. It was in my story last week, but here's what it is: He was given a $2 million signing bonus and a $2 million roster bonus. That's in addition to a $250,000 roster bonus he had already been paid this year. He also got a $55,720 workout bonus. In turn, his base salary for this season was reduced from $1.36 million to $950,000. So all told, he will make $5,255,720 this season. In 2007, his base salary will be $2.7 million (up from $1.86 million) and he'll get a $56,720 workout bonus. In 2008 and 2009 (if he's still on the team) he'll make base salaries of $2.9 million and $3.9 million, respectively. In each of those years, he'll receive a roster bonus of $1 million and a workout bonus of $106,720. The grand total of the four years is $17,025,880.

JOHN, Canisteo NY: Hi Rob ....with the vast number of new faces does it make sense to experiment with the linebacking personnel with speed on the perimeter and if he is ready, Hodge in the middle .... also, with the return of the Holmgren version of the offense, can we expect to see more of our tight ends getting down field and in the passing game once again....thanks

Rob Demovsky: John- If Hodge is one of their three best linebackers, then it's probably worth the experiement. I have no reason to think this offense is going to be like Holmgren's West coast offense. McCarthy and Jagodzinski never worked for Holmgren. Holmgren never used the zone-blocking scheme that McCarthy and Jagodzinski are. In anything, Holmgren had a pass-first mentality. It's probably why he lost Super Bowl XXXII.

Dan, Milwaukee: How big was D. Washington? Do you think he's have a short or long leash with this staff?

Rob Demovsky: Dan- He looked a lot bigger to me than he did last year. What his exact weight was, I don't know. In fact, one of the first things Pete Dougherty and I talked about when we walked into the Hutson Center for the first minicamp practice was how big Washington looked. Given his history of laziness and unproductiveness, I can't imagine he's on anything other than an extremely short leash.

Nik, Eden Prairie, MN: Thanks again for taking this question. I just heard a report that the NFL has implemented a new uniform policy. Any idea what this means, if it is even true?

Rob Demovsky: Nik- Not sure about that. I know the NFL competition committee is meeting sometime soon, perhaps even this week, and the issue of uniform numbers will be discussed in large part because Reggie Bush wants to wear No. 5 (a non-traditional number for a running back). If they're willing to change that policy, then new Packers cornerback Charles Woodson might get to wear No. 2 like he wants to.

Sam, Dallas, Texas: Rob, If you have time for another question, who do you see as the backup defensive end? Does Thompson think that Montgomery will develop to fill that role? Thanks.

Rob Demovsky: Sam- We'll finish up with you. I know Thompson and his staff are high on Montgomery. I didn't notice specifically how he was used during the last minicamp, but he's got some pass rush ability.