PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Sounds Off on Grant/Coaches/TT/Favre

vince
12-11-2007, 07:19 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071211/PKR01/712110443/1989

Grant proving he's steal of the season

By Pete Dougherty
pdougher@greenbaypressgazette.com

After the Green Bay Packers' 38-7 blowout of Oakland on Sunday, former General Manager Ron Wolf was in the Packers' locker room talking about his impressions after seeing the team in person for the first time in this 11-2 season.

He credited the coaching staff for the confidence the young team displayed; GM Ted Thompson for building the team his way, mostly through the draft; and the excellent conditioning that has helped quarterback Brett Favre play elite football at age 38.

Then, without prompting, Wolf added: "That running back — that's got to be one of the great trades."

He was referring to Ryan Grant, whom Thompson picked up for a sixth-round draft pick at the end of training camp in what appeared to be a minor move, a small concession to a glaring hole in the Packers' offense.

Who could have known it would turn into this?

When the Packers acquired Grant, their scouting staff talked of his excellent special-teams play and solid running skills he'd shown in limited preseason play for a Giants team that was overloaded at halfback. But it's safe to say no one foresaw what Grant would become this season. In the past seven weeks, he's steadily grown from a decent back who was better than anyone on the roster in the zone-blocking scheme, to a player who's proven a legitimate starter in the NFL and a candidate for the team's lead halfback for several seasons.

That's the definition of a steal in the NFL trade market.

"The personnel guys get the kudos for this," said Joe Philbin, the Packers' offensive coordinator.

"We're knee-deep in double sessions and preseason games (during training camp), and I know E.B. (running backs coach Edgar Bennett) and I glanced at (videotape of) the kid. Give them a lot of credit for doing their homework and giving us a high-caliber player."

Grant's consistent production and improving play have been one of the most stunning developments of this surprising season. In the seven games since he became the Packers' primary halfback at Denver on Oct. 29, he's rushed for an average of 102.4 yards a game and 5.0 yards a carry. That includes a career-high 156 yards on Sunday against Oakland.

There's reason to show restraint about Grant, because, for instance, Oakland probably has the worst run defense in the NFL — the Raiders ranked last in the league in yards allowed and No. 30 in yards allowed per carry. But Grant also had 119 yards four weeks ago against Minnesota, which went into last weekend ranked first and second in those categories, respectively.

And though the Packers didn't run the ball consistently well at Dallas 1½ weeks ago, Grant ripped off a 62-yard touchdown run and showed effective power and instincts on several other carries against a defense that was ranked fourth in rushing yards allowed per game.

The Packers don't have to make any immediate decisions about whether he's the primary halfback of their future, but his consistent, quality play has to give Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy pause, even though they'll consider selecting another back high in next year's draft because it's a position where the high injury risk demands quality depth.

"I don't like to draw conclusions like he's the Green Bay Packers' running back for the next eight years," Philbin said. "I don't know. (But) the guy's made the most of his opportunities and played well when he's been in ballgames. That's all that matters for now."

Grant's ascension past injured rookie DeShawn Wynn, second-round pick Brandon Jackson and third-year pro Vernand Morency has provided McCarthy with a far more complete offense than he had earlier in the season. The Packers' run-game problems were more than just at running back — the interior of their offensive line has been shaky, though it had its best game this past week with Junius Coston at right guard, Jason Spitz at left guard and Daryn Colledge on the bench. But Grant undoubtedly has been the major difference the past seven weeks.

His ability to recognize cutback lanes immediately and to run with decisiveness, break tackles and get through holes with decent speed at 6-foot-1 and 224 pounds separates him from the rest of the Packers' backs.

Grant benefits from the Packers' highly effective short and intermediate passing game that occupies defenses, and the Packers are a team that probably will pass to set up the run against most opponents. But McCarthy now has a running game that defenses can't ignore like they did in the first half of the season.

"One thing I think we have shown offensively is we can play at whatever end of the spectrum we need to based on who we're playing," McCarthy said in his Monday press conference. "That to me is the ultimate goal of an offense."

At one point early in the season, Grant appeared to have blown his chance when he bore the responsibility for a fumbled handoff exchange with quarterback Brett Favre at Minnesota with only 1 minute, 40 seconds to play and the Packers protecting a 23-16 lead.

That was only his sixth carry of the season, and he did not get a carry the next two games. He only got his shot early against Denver because Wynn sustained a shoulder injury, Jackson was inactive because of a shin injury and Morency's chronic patellar-tendon problem left him unable to be an early-down back.

But Grant ran so well that night (104 yards on 22 carries) that McCarthy, who was desperately searching for a run game, took the unusual step of pronouncing in his postgame press conference that Grant was his starting halfback. Grant has played better almost every week since.

"He's physical, and he finishes his runs," Bennett said. "Some guys don't understand finishing and running with an attitude. Some would describe it as running angry. This guy, he's a downhill, attacking runner. He's aggressive, physical. You look at how many times at the end of a run he gets knocked back; you don't see that. He's always pushing forward and breaking tackles."

Scott Campbell
12-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Then, without prompting, Wolf added: "That running back — that's got to be one of the great trades."

Ted and his staff getting props from the master himself.

Chubbyhubby
12-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Ted Thompson must be doing flips about now. With all the doubters out there and his draft first and not spending a dime on free agency look at him now. 11-2 and poised for a superbowl run this year. Great job TT!!!

The Leaper
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Ted and his staff getting props from the master himself.

That deserves a spot in my sig line.

Chubbyhubby
12-11-2007, 12:31 PM
That deserves a spot in my sig line

I beat ya to it...

KYPack
12-11-2007, 03:36 PM
"One thing I think we have shown offensively is we can play at whatever end of the spectrum we need to based on who we're playing," McCarthy said in his Monday press conference. "That to me is the ultimate goal of an offense."

Love that quote, er what?

A nice view of Mac's offensive philosophy. He's a big picture guy who calls the right stuff to beat a defense.

This is a great season that I never expected to have.

b bulldog
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, this is much better than the quote he had a few years back, "they look liker an NFL Europe team" :lol: