PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for an interview

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Do you guys have any tips on preparing for an interview? I've never had a serious interview before. My two other internships were pretty much by virtue of my mom working for the company, and now I have a big time interview on Friday. I have interviewed for Sears, Best Buy, etc but those aren't professional jobs.

One thing I am kind of worried about is whether I am as qualified as they'd like. I am applying for a position as a java developer intern, but I have only done java for one semester in school. I have however done three total semesters of Object-oriented programing, so I figure I can take some time to study java and pick up some of it very quickly.

What should I wear? What should I bring? I have a few sample programs written in java from a class I took, but they are fairly unimpressive since they're rather basic. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Do you guys have any tips on preparing for an interview? I've never had a serious interview before. My two other internships were pretty much by virtue of my mom working for the company, and now I have a big time interview on Friday. I have interviewed for Sears, Best Buy, etc but those aren't professional jobs.

One thing I am kind of worried about is whether I am as qualified as they'd like. I am applying for a position as a java developer intern, but I have only done java for one semester in school. I have however done three total semesters of Object-oriented programing, so I figure I can take some time to study java and pick up some of it very quickly.

What should I wear? What should I bring? I have a few sample programs written in java from a class I took, but they are fairly unimpressive since they're rather basic. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!

I know nothing about Java programming but I will tell you to go in wearing a nice well fitted business suit and NOT DRUNK OR HUNG OVER! Don't start spinning any BS or start cracking jokes. What did they ask you to bring? I'm assuming you have submitted a resume or a portfolio already? Don't worry to much about being under qualified...If they like you you'll get the job. You cracker/programmer types can pick that shit up fast.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 12:15 PM

What should I wear? What should I bring? I have a few sample programs written in java from a class I took, but they are fairly unimpressive since they're rather basic. Any tips would be very much appreciated!!It's not what you know it's who you know so holler out to your homies and classmates for any lead you can get. I would say wear a suit but depending on the environment that could be over doing it.

BTW - Get rid of the stupid ass glasses.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:16 PM
There is nothing wrong with my glasses!

I did pick up a suit a few weeks back in preparation for this. I will likely be wearing that. I figure i'll go with black and white. It's plain but it will hopefully get the job done.

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 12:17 PM
BTW - Get rid of the stupid ass glasses.

Is partial a pocket protector kind of a guy? :lol:

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 12:17 PM

I did pick up a suit a few weeks back in preparation for this. I will likely be wearing that. I figure i'll go with black and white. It's plain but it will hopefully get the job done.

Black and white is not business attire.

3irty1
12-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Just try your hardest to be normal. That's a very rare but very desirable quality in software engineers :)

Look them in the eye. Emphasize that you are eager to learn.

3irty1
12-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh and good luck.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:29 PM

Well, it is a black suit with pin stripes. I will have to try and match a shirt and tie with it today at work.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Oh and good luck.

Thanks

Zool
12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Dont go in trying to be buddy buddy with them either., but at the same time you cant be a robot. Interviewers can tell when people are lying, so just give them everything straight out.

Every tech interview I've ever been through they have a question sheet to gauge how much you know about the position. They are usually pretty easy if you know much of anything coming in.

Also ask around and see if you know anyone who has applied. They might still have the question list.

Zool
12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Also, a suit is not always necessary depending on the company, but it couldnt hurt.

Not too hard to match a black pinstripe. Get a white or dark grey shirt and a purple power tie.

If there will be women in the interview, dont wear scuffed shoes. They always look.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Listen bitch, get your sorry ass some contacts, a nice material light brown- tan color suit with a fly shirt and tie (the one you mentioned sounds like some grandpa shit). Gets some nice shoes and make sure they are clean. Let your hair grow a lil more on the top so you dont look like your in the military and smile and keep eye contact with the interviewer. Make sure to know shit about the company like when it was started and some of it's quick history. Make sure they know you are a team player and can work under pressure.

Basically turn into a total fraud and you should have no problem.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
The shoes are brand new. What is a power tie? Would it be in my best interest to tell them I only have one semester of experience in java, but I have studied OO programming for three semesters now and I am quick at picking things up and very willing to learn?

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 12:41 PM
BTW - Cut your nails you pig and try laying off the greasy shit so you dont break out.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Just try your hardest to be normal. That's a very rare but very desirable quality in software engineers :)

Look them in the eye. Emphasize that you are eager to learn.

By the way, I emailed Prof. Clifton to see what he thinks and to see if he has any tips. That guy is by far and away the best professor I have ever had. Platteville's finest.

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Brown shoes...don't make it.

You'll do fine man. Relax. :smk:

Zool
12-11-2007, 12:44 PM
The shoes are brand new. What is a power tie? Would it be in my best interest to tell them I only have one semester of experience in java, but I have studied OO programming for three semesters now and I am quick at picking things up and very willing to learn?

Thats about exactly what you should say. Willingness and ability to learn are huge.

Just dont get a generic striped tie. Dont get a tie from Sears. Go to Macy's or even Herbergers has some decent stuff. Kohls has some nice ties from time to time at a reasonable price.

GoPackGo
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Dress to impress and when they ask you questions about your experiences, turn on the charm and act like you've done it before

LL2
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
1. Wear a suit and tie as mentioned before.
2. Get to know as much about the company and the position as possible
3. If you can find out anything about the individual(s) you will be interview with. Small talk at the beginning is important.
4. I'm not a programmer, but a friend of mine is and he brought samples of his work with him.
5. Study like you would for a test. They are likely to test or quiz you on your technical knowledge.
6. Most importantly maintain your poise and never admit you are nervous (even though you will be).

Let us know how it goes!

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Whatever you do don't pull the race card. :lol:

SkinBasket
12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
And don't send a thank you card for the interview. That's just fucking creepy. And don't make it sound like ANY part of the job is beneath you. Be positive without being a dork. As tempted as you might be, don't include a soundtrack to your life on your samples disc either.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Something that companies are doing a lot now is having multiple people interview you. They will be some of the people you will work with and will all give the boss an opinion. Make sure to ask them questions about the job and don't act like you fucking know it all. Just act confident.

I would also recommend taking a leak before you go. Asking where the toilet is at is lame.

Partial
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
I am interviewing with two people. It kind of sucks because the only time they had open is right after a Networks exam. Will they ask for my transcripts from school? And if they do can I say no? My Platteville one is very far from appealing. Perhaps I could explain to them that I was immature then and didn't work hard and wasn't a man. Obviously I can't change what I did there.

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 01:12 PM
I am interviewing with two people. It kind of sucks because the only time they had open is right after a Networks exam. Will they ask for my transcripts from school? And if they do can I say no? My Platteville one is very far from appealing. Perhaps I could explain to them that I was immature then and didn't work hard and wasn't a man. Obviously I can't change what I did there.

I see no reason for them to ask for transcripts at this point in time...especially during this stage of the process.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Maybe you can ask to skip the drug test. :lol:

3irty1
12-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Is this a co-op or just a summer thing?

Partial
12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Essentially a co-up but it is only 25 hours a week so I'll still be going to school full-time and then working at Sears on the weekends. Should be about 35-40 total hours of work so it's going to be pretty darn busy.

Partial
12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe you can ask to skip the drug test. :lol:

You know I don't do that sheez. Only in TJ.

Scott Campbell
12-11-2007, 02:12 PM

Well, it is a black suit with pin stripes. I will have to try and match a shirt and tie with it today at work.

I think the suit is a bad idea. You're likely to end up overdressed, which is only slightly better than underdressed.

But why leave something like this to chance in the first place? Call the company. Talk to a secretary, and find out what the attire is. Then you can be certain your dressed appropriately. How are you supposed to interview well if you're the only guy in the buiding wearing a suit? For god sakes, your applying as a computer programmer, not an investment banker. They're probably happy if their applicants show up with their flys zipped and they remember not to cuss.

During my interviews, I'm often most impressed by how candidates ask questions - not nearly as much by how they answer them. Remember, you're interviewing them too. Here's a little gem that works wonders - "What do you consider to be the critical success factors for someone you hire into this position?". Once that's answered, you position yourself to fill those needs. Let them know you don't just want the job. You want to be achieve status as a top performer.

You should be doing due diligence on this company now. How many employees? What's their annual revenue? Who are their biggest customers? Who are their competitors? Who's the CEO. What's his background? All the routine stuff. This should also help you decide if you really want to work there. It's not unusual for an interviewer to ask you why you want to work there, and this is a great opportunity to show off some of your research while answering the question.

Lastly, be comfortable. If you're not comfortable, it's hard for the interviewer to be comfortable. And if the interviewer is uncomforable, it's harder to make the hire. There are no babies dying here, so don't let yourself turn the situation into something more prominent than it really is. Its just a job. Its just an interview. If you don't get this one, it'll be great practice for the next one.

LL2
12-11-2007, 04:33 PM

Here's a little gem that works wonders - "What do you consider to be the critical success factors for someone you hire into this position?". Once that's answered, you position yourself to fill those needs. Let them know you don't just want the job. You want to be achieve status as a top performer.

That is a good question to ask!

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 04:54 PM
They're probably happy if their applicants show up with their flys zipped and they remember not to cuss.

:lol: :lol:

Ok ok....wear cut off jeans and a Dickies hat then.

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 08:01 PM
I think the suit is a bad idea. You're likely to end up overdressed, which is only slightly better than underdressed.

But why leave something like this to chance in the first place? Call the company. Talk to a secretary, and find out what the attire is. Then you can be certain your dressed appropriately. How are you supposed to interview well if you're the only guy in the buiding wearing a suit? For god sakes, your applying as a computer programmer, not an investment banker. They're probably happy if their applicants show up with their flys zipped and they remember not to cuss.

During my interviews, I'm often most impressed by how candidates ask questions - not nearly as much by how they answer them. Remember, you're interviewing them too. Here's a little gem that works wonders - "What do you consider to be the critical success factors for someone you hire into this position?". Once that's answered, you position yourself to fill those needs. Let them know you don't just want the job. You want to be achieve status as a top performer.

You should be doing due diligence on this company now. How many employees? What's their annual revenue? Who are their biggest customers? Who are their competitors? Who's the CEO. What's his background? All the routine stuff. This should also help you decide if you really want to work there. It's not unusual for an interviewer to ask you why you want to work there, and this is a great opportunity to show off some of your research while answering the question.

Lastly, be comfortable. If you're not comfortable, it's hard for the interviewer to be comfortable. And if the interviewer is uncomforable, it's harder to make the hire. There are no babies dying here, so don't let yourself turn the situation into something more prominent than it really is. Its just a job. Its just an interview. If you don't get this one, it'll be great practice for the next one.What the hell, you Salt lake floater?? I already said all this and that dumbass hasn't responded. I agree that the suit is a judgment call. I will give you credit on the receptionist one. Thats always a good way to go and if you don't treat them like hired help and smile maybe they will hook a brother up. I actually like your post better though, you say it in a nice anglo saxon way Partial can understand.

Deputy Nutz
12-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Wear a fucking suit. He already has one he should wear the fucking thing.

Don't volunteer information, answer the questions they give with truthful answers.

Brush your fucking teeth.

Get contacts.

Bring anything with you that you think might be important but again don't volunteer shit.

Take it from me, I always get jobs I am over qualified for. It sucks in the long run, I usually make some promises I never intend to keep, that works as well. Like if they ask you to take a class in Java, say absolutely, then if you don't want to, don't.

MJZiggy
12-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Wear clean underwear (what? didn't your mother ever tell you that?) and whatever you do, don't do whatever it is that I've been doing wrong for the last year. Have a copy of your resume with you. When they start going over it, if you can pull it out and look it over with them, you look prepared. Do what Scott said, the question was really good. Mark me down as for the suit--you can always take the jacket off and carry it if you're feeling overdressed.

It would look better to lose the glasses, but I'm not convinced contacts are a better idea as the could make your eyes uncomfortable or red if you're not used to them and the last thing you want is bloodshot eyes in an interview.

Oh, and no Mexican or black bean soup the day before or morning of.

Joemailman
12-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Don't mention that you have over 8000 posts on a frickin' football forum.

Partial
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Why does everyone hate the glasses?

Also, what should I carry my resume in? All I have in a columbia back pack. Should I look into getting something else? I would really rather not spend any additional money than what I have to.

GoPackGo
12-11-2007, 10:12 PM
put your resume, letters of recommendation and your college transcripts inside clear binder pages and carry them in a slim leather binder.

Fosco33
12-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I interview people all the time - sometimes for tech jobs. Relax, smile, wipe your sweaty palm (and grip firm) and pause on your responses.

IMO, a suit is fine.

Lots of tech guy wears glasses (and most have facial hair).

If your transcripts suck - it's just that - don't explain anything. If it's a co-op, they probably won't.

If you have a portfolio - bring your resume (on good paper if you have it) and some examples from past internships or class projects (relevant to the position).

Read the website and write down at least 3 questions.

If you have a behavioral interview, use this model...

S - Situation (explain the situation at a high level -- in a few sentences)
H - Hindrance/Challenge (if it's not a challenge it won't be compelling)
A - Action Items (what you did to overcome the challenge or finish the task)
R - Result (what happened?)

And try not to use the following examples: frat party planning, staying up late finishing an assignment.

Good luck dude.

Freak Out
12-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Why does everyone hate the glasses?

Also, what should I carry my resume in? All I have in a columbia back pack. Should I look into getting something else? I would really rather not spend any additional money than what I have to.

Glasses are fine...you need them to see for crying out loud.

oregonpackfan
12-11-2007, 11:15 PM
1. Wear a suit and tie as mentioned before.
2. Get to know as much about the company and the position as possible
3. If you can find out anything about the individual(s) you will be interview with. Small talk at the beginning is important.
4. I'm not a programmer, but a friend of mine is and he brought samples of his work with him.
5. Study like you would for a test. They are likely to test or quiz you on your technical knowledge.
6. Most importantly maintain your poise and never admit you are nervous (even though you will be).

Let us know how it goes!

These are all good tips. I support them and encourage you to follow them.

Also:

1. Arrive 5-10 minutes early. DO NOT BE LATE! It is a bad sign to your prospective employers if you show up late.

2. As an earlier poster stated, maintain good eye contact.

3. Besides the suit, make sure your shoes are polished. Some employers put stock on polished shoes as a first impression.

4. Following the interview, shake hands in a friendly, yet firm manner, and thank him(them) for his time in meeting with you.

5. Upon arrival at home, immediately send a neat, mistake-free letter thanking your interviewer for the time to meet with him. End the letter with "I look forward to hearing from you."

the_idle_threat
12-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Nothing wrong with glasses. This is a computer geek position you're interviewing for, is it not? :lol:

Joemailman
12-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Don't dress like this:

http://www.davelog.com/mirror/internaut.jpg

MadtownPacker
12-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Why does everyone hate the glasses?Its not the glasses, it is you. So unless you are gonna get plastic surgery ditch the specks. They dont give you that tech-smart look everyone here is imagining. I just want to slap them off your face thinking about it.

Partial
12-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Why does everyone hate the glasses?Its not the glasses, it is you. So unless you are gonna get plastic surgery ditch the specks. They dont give you that tech-smart look everyone here is imagining. I just want to slap them off your face thinking about it.

Ouch.

LL2
12-12-2007, 11:23 AM
If it hasn't been suggested yet, buy some Altoids. The really small ones. Don't go in with onion or garlic breath!

SkinBasket
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
I would also skip the suit in favor of some quality slacks and a button up shirt. I don't believe in dressing any better for the interview than you would for the job, especially an intern job. You should probably take a class or two in whatever language you're applying for too. It helps if you know how to do the job you're applying for. Hell, buy a book and subscribe to a couple of boards. Plenty of people teach themselves Java programing.

MJZiggy
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Oh, one other thing. Don't skip breakfast that morning. I had an interview once that I ran out the door for and my stomach started growling (loudly) and continued through the whole interview. Embarrassing.

Partial
12-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Well, today is the big day. I've got an exam from 10-12, then I've got the interview at one. I'm not really nervous, but simply have a heightened sense of things.

Bossman641
12-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Good luck.

Try to stay calm and I'm sure you'll do fine.

MadtownPacker
12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
I hope the interviewer goes all Donald Trump on his ass. :lol:

the_idle_threat
12-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I hope he drank some vodka or something to kill that "heightened sense of things."

hoosier
12-14-2007, 12:51 PM
You should probably take a class or two in whatever language you're applying for too. .

If he hasn't picked up English by now, I don't think a semester or two of remedial grammar and writing is going to help much. :P

Partial
12-14-2007, 04:30 PM
I got the job. Very surprised they told me the day of. I interviewed in the morning, then they had me come back later and fill out a slew of paper work. I am going to be making pretty good bank there for a part time gig.

Freak Out
12-14-2007, 04:31 PM
I got the job. Very surprised they told me the day of. I interviewed in the morning, then they had me come back later and fill out a slew of paper work. I am going to be making pretty good bank there for a part time gig.

Congrats.....so are you leaving Sears and Robuck? or is this a part time gig?

Partial
12-14-2007, 04:35 PM

Congrats.....so are you leaving Sears and Robuck? or is this a part time gig?

They're both part time so I am going to work them both and maximize the most out the hours I work. On Saturdays at Sears I can get as high as 50 bucks an hour but am usually around 20, so I am going to stick with that on Sat. During the week I make next to nothing at Sears, so I am going to put in my 30 hours at the company then.

I'll be working about 35-40 hours a week while going to school, but I can handle it and the money is just too good. I will be able to pay my dad back completely from the loan I took out, and then get a new laptop as well. Plus I will have plenty of money for going out.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Excellent!

BallHawk
12-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Congrats, P.

MadtownPacker
12-14-2007, 08:42 PM
I got the job. Very surprised they told me the day of. I interviewed in the morning, then they had me come back later and fill out a slew of paper work. I am going to be making pretty good bank there for a part time gig.Congrats Blasta P!! Those guys are getting a freak of nature for sure.

Show them what you got!

the_idle_threat
12-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Good for you, P. Give 'em hell.

oregonpackfan
12-15-2007, 01:09 AM
I admire your work ethic, Partial. At the same time, you need to make time and outside interests for yourself. To paraphrase an old saying, "All work and no play makes Partial a dull Packers fan!" :)

Partial
12-15-2007, 02:10 AM
Oh don't you worry OPF. I make plenty of time for ol' partial. As a matter of fact, tonight I went out and got drunk with some friends and danced with many a "out of my league" females. Little do they know that inside this rough exterior lies the 2nd most frequent PR poster :D

Partial
12-15-2007, 02:11 AM
Thanks for all the good wishes and help. I actually think the interview went fairly well. I asked some solid questions and I think the two guys I interviewed with appreciated my prepared-ness (if thats a word)

Deputy Nutz
12-15-2007, 12:45 PM
I am not happy you got a job, I am not happy for anyone that gets a job, I feel for your soul Partial. :roll: