PDA

View Full Version : ESPN : chat with Scouts, Inc. 12/11

motife
12-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Matt Williamson: Let's get this chat started a little bit early.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Big D, Buffalo: Matt, what are the chances my Bills make the playoffs ?

Matt Williamson: Decent. This game vs. Cleveland is huge of course. I gotta give the Browns the edge, but Buff is really well coached and plays hard. Keep the game close and see what happens late in the game. I am not so sure that the Browns are ready to deal with success quite yet. Both of these teams should be quite good in 2008 as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kate: Can we now be done with all this Michael Vick nonsense?

Matt Williamson: Yeah, really. So tired of hearing all about every little detail. What team is going to want him when he comes back? Blah Blah Blah.

Majeed: M-Dub, Wouldn't it be awesome if the Pats go 16-0..and then lose in the playoffs? That's all I want for X-mas ..well besides a Miami W!

Matt Williamson: Can't say I am rooting one way or another. As a Dolphins' fan, you are getting coal in your stocking this year Bro.

SprungOnSports (Long Island): Are the Giants the most unimpressive 9-4 team you've ever seen?

Matt Williamson: Yeah-pretty much so. Other 9-4 teams like PGH and JAX are far superior. Still, you gotta give them credit for getting 9 Ws so far.

Jeremy (Seattle): Am I crazy for thinking the Seahawks have a chance to make it to the Superbowl?

Matt Williamson: Not crazy, but I really don't see them going to GB and winning that game. I do think they will mop up the Vikes in Seatttle in Round 1. Good team and I don't mean to take anything away from them, but Dallas and GBay are a notch above.

Patrick (Ocala, FL): Do Giant fans realize they are 0-3 against the two top teams in the NFC?

Matt Williamson: I am sure they do, but honestly, does that really matter at this point? The next time they meet means everything. The Giants will be the 5 seed.

Majeed: M-Dub, They're saying down in Miami that Cam-moron should be arrested for impersonating an NFL head coach! LOL

Matt Williamson: What do you think? Is he getting canned if Miami goes winless? Starting to think he will.

CHOO(PLAINFIELD) New Jersey: Do the Ravens take Matt Ryan or another QB In the first round?..

Matt Williamson: Just wrote a blog about this and really, I don't see a great answer for their QB issues. Would you be comfortable with Ryan/Woodson/Brohm, Smith and Boller entering next year with many of your core players getting up in age? Trade for McNabb and further sacrifice the future?

Eric M. (Meadowlands): Do you think the gift basket I sent to Mr. Belicheck's house this week might help my team's cause this weekend?

Matt Williamson: It should. They will only steamroll you guys by 40 or so.

chauncey (teaneck): will another team pick up vick when he comes back?

Matt Williamson: Probably. Ask me again in two years.

Mike (Boondogle, VA): Assuming the Saints lose even one more game (not much of an assumption) the Skins control their own destiny. Why isn't anyone talking about them for the second wild card?

Matt Williamson: Cause the Vikes are in a better spot to get it. Don't see Wash beating NYG this week.

Xander (Philly): With a record of 5-1, do you think that Trent Edwards would be in the ROY conversation if he started all 16 games? What if he leads the Bills into the playoffs?

Matt Williamson: I suppose, but honestly, he isn't even the ROY on the Bills. Too hard to speculate on what he would have done over 16 games.

Kate: If GB is so fortunate what must they do to beat Dallas this time?

Matt Williamson: Having KGB and Woodson healthy would be a great start. Dallas is the better team, but not by much. GB is for real. Don't overlook them just because they lost one game to Dallas.

Mike (Jersey): Where do you see McNabb next season, and what might the Eagles expect to get for him if they trade him?

Matt Williamson: I would keep him if I were in Philly's shoes, but if he is dealt, Chi, Balt and Minny seem like the best destinations. What is he worth? Prob more if these three get into a bidding war-that is for sure. Would you give up your #1 if you were in Balt or Chi's shoes? Probably, but not any more than that.

Joe (Oak Park, IL): If the Bears sign Michael Turner, Alan Faneca and draft a O-Tackle with their #1, are they back in the playoff picture?

Matt Williamson: Who's is playing QB in this fairy tale scenerio? Those two will not be cheap!!! If what you said happens, then Yes.

Al (Miami): MW...News is T. Glenn is expected to pratice this week and we should have him ready to roll for the playoffs...What do you think this is going to do for the Boys?

Matt Williamson: Hopefully they ease him back very slowly to have the best results in round 2 of the playoffs. It will help for sure, esp their 3 WR sets. Even more dangerous. Glenn, TO, Crayton, Barber and Witten on the field with Romo and the OL? Jeez.

Brian (NC): Matt, don't make me post your preseason predictions for the Giants...saying that the Giants are the least impressive 9-4 team EVER is not one of your more intelligent or unbiased comments.

Matt Williamson: I would have to look at EVERY 9-4 team of all time to say that truthfully, but they are below Jax and PGH by a substantial margin. Care to disagree with that? As for my preseason comments, I expected NYG to crumble early under a lame duck head coach and probably finish last in this tough division. Obviously that was wrong. Not hiding anything. I also picked the Eagles to represent the NFC and JAX and Den to win their divisions. Predictions are difficult!!!

Glenn (NJ): Who would you like to see in the Sbowl...best possible game i can think of is pats boys any thoughts?

Matt Williamson: For sure that is the best matchup, but any combination of Pats, Indy, Dallas and GBay will make for a great game. These four are heads above #5-whoever that is. And the Pats are heads above these other three.

Don (San Diego): What is your assessment of Norv Turner's tenue at SD so far? I think he is an unimpressive 8-5

Matt Williamson: Very much agreed. As a QB guru, Rivers has really looked bad and held this O back. It took them way too long to get aggressive on D and it also took way too long before they kept feeding LT. They are lucky to be in a bad division.

Cindy (SF): My 49ers are a mess Matt. Do you see any changes on the horizon?

Matt Williamson: There has to be player changes. Prob OCoordinator changes. I wouldn't fire Nolan yet however. One more year. The QB situation is what is most troubling though. They really need a #1 WR as well.

Batch (Boston): Any chance Pats actually pick a player with SF's 1st rounder? I doubt they will myself ...

Matt Williamson: Betting that they trade down and grab some extra picks in the Top 50 of the draft or so. Depending on Moss/Stallworth/Samuels, they could use a WR, CB, ILB and RT. Maybe RB as well? All three of those UFAs will leave, but you understand.

Bo (Jangles): Predictions are difficult, but this one isnt. You heard it here first - Green Bay beats Dallas to get in, Indy beats the Pats, and GB beats Indy in the SB. Then Favre retires.

Matt Williamson: You go Mr. Bo Jangles!

Eric (San Diego): Wouldn't Cam Cameron be a good choice for the 49ers next OC when/if he gets fired in Miami?

Matt Williamson: Sure would. Could use Gore and V Davis much as he used Gates and LT. Cameron, despite his faults as a HC, is a proven OC.

David (Boston): Will Moss stay with Brady in NE next year? He just seems so happy!

Matt Williamson: Would be shocked it he left. Those two are amazing together. However, Moss is getting up in age and just took a big pay cut this year to play in NE. He might want PAID and NE isn't real big on resigning older guys long term. Interesting situation. I suppose they could franchise him or Samuel though.

David (Miami): DO YOU SEE JASON TAYLOR OUT OF A MIAMI UNIFORM THIS YEAR IN AN EFFORT TO BRING SOME YOUTH INTO A VERY OLD DEFENSE? WHAT CAN THEY GET FOR HIM ANYWAY?

Matt Williamson: That could happen and that rumor has floated around for a while now. A 3-4 team should be real interested, but Taylor does seem to be declining. 2nd rounder.

Mikey(Lackawanna,NY): What do you think about the play of the Bills MLB John DiGiorgio?

Matt Williamson: Good fundamental player who is always around the ball. Really emerged this year. Their LBs could be pretty decent a year from now with Puz coming back.

John(Houston): do the texans have a chance at making the playoffs if they win out and go 9-7?

Matt Williamson: Wow, I suppose it could happen. This has been a successful season for Hous and they are building something there. They are not going to the post season, but they should compete next year. Such a tough division though and those six games against Indy, Jax and Tenn is brutal.

Travis, SLC: Matt, does Denver in the superbowl for most inconsistent team of the year? We beat Pittsburgh take GB to OT but lose to Oakland by 14 and Detroit by 34...

Matt Williamson: Just blew out KC last week too. Yeah-very inconsistent, but the young QB hasn't really been the reason for all that inconsistency. Kinda odd. That D plays great, then falls apart. This team has talent and a great coach-which I why I picked them to win the division, but wow are they ever inconsistent.

Jamieson (Haverhill MA): does brady throw for 5 touchdowns and break peytons mark and does moss catch rice's mark of 22 touchdowns this season?

Matt Williamson: Brady might do it this week!!! Yes-no question. And he doesn't throw INTS! How many is Moss away from Rice anyways?

Sammy (Long Island, NY): Jets have any chance against the Pats in the Spy Gate Bowl?

Matt Williamson: No. Nope. Not at all. They sure don't. Uh-uh. Not going to happen.

Kate: Matt Come-on, Shanahan is full of himself and his ego has things all messed up in Denver

Matt Williamson: There could be some truth to that, but I can't sit here and say that he is not a great HC. The guy is going to the Hall.

Xander (Philly): I see Mangini focusing on Moss and Welker this weekend, giving Gaffney and Stallworth(less) a big game. Agreed?

Matt Williamson: REAL tough to take Moss AND Welker away, as Moss is the deep bomb threat and Welker is the quick hitting underneath option. Let's say you double them both-more or less. Than that leaves you 7 defenders to deal with the Pats running game and two other pass catchers like Stallworth and Watson. Brady would gladly throw to Watson/Gaffney/Faulk/Stallworth all day against LBs.

Tom (Seattle): Seattle is 6th in the NFL in Points Scored, and 2nd in Points Allowed. I hope everyone keeps talking Dallas/GB, right up to the point the Hawks send them on vacation.

Matt Williamson: Very true. Excellent team. Bad division and easy schedule however-do not overlook that. Still, it could be argued that they are the 5th best team in the NFL.You guys out there: Pick one: PGH, Sea or Jax? Not an easy call for #5 spot.

JJ(DC): Had you ever heard of Anthony Smith before last week?

Matt Williamson: Have heard of just about everyone the NFL. Plus, he was a second round pick. Plus, I live in PGH and watched him play high school ball while I was at Pitt. Rather familiar with him, yes. But wow, did he say some dumb things and get embarrassed.

Majeed: #5 is SD!

Matt Williamson: Forgot to include them-should have. They belong in the conversation for sure-worst QB and Head Coach of the bunch though.

John(Houston): Who do you think will win the Thursday night battle between the broncos and texans? It will be interesting to see Shanahan go against Kubiak.

Matt Williamson: No doubt about it and I wrote this game up for Scouts, Inc. I picked Denver, but also said that they are a difficult time to count on due to all their inconsistencies. Excited to see the game, but Bailey vs.Andre J is a wash and Den should be able to have success stopping Hous' running attack. That is why I took Den.

Xander (Philly): Can we expect Travis Henry to get no moer than 15 carries per game for the rest of the year? (Huge for my fantasy playoffs, so it'd be sweet if you answered this one).

Matt Williamson: Wouldn't count on him. Shanny always goes with the hot hand at RB. Plus, for FF reasons, Den RBs can be such a nightmare. Come up small so often when the other guy comes up huge. Don't count on Henry too much for sure.

James(Maryland): Is Romo the 3rd best QB in the league right now?

Matt Williamson: I would take Roethlisberger over him-better/longer resume. Romo is playing exceptional and would win the MVP if the Pats were not in the league.

Manfred (Queens): Call me crazy, but if Bellichick tries to run up the score against the Jets this weekend, I could easily see a Shaun Ellis or Dwayne Robertson throwing a few questionable hits at Brady.

Matt Williamson: Hmmmm....it is bound to happen eventually.

Tom (Seattle): Hasselbeck is the third best right now...

Matt Williamson: A LOT of Seattle love this week! Nice. I don't agree, but he has been great. Just wrote a blog on him, praising his play. Check it out.

Sam (Cleveland): WOW!!! Is that a little bit of homer coming out Matt??? Roethlisberger is a good QB, but Romo is better and you know it.

Matt Williamson: Figures the "Homer" call comes from a Cleveland guy. I don't know it. Ben has much less around him than Romo. Romo has started the equivilent of about one season. Ben has a ring. Not cutting down Romo-he is exceptional. I just want to see more to put him at #3.

Hoss (Austin): No Carson Palmer talk for #3? More proof that Marvin Lewis should be a goner?

Matt Williamson: Funny you brought that up. A few weeks ago I had Palmer at #3. Just can't defend him any more though in that spot. I am still a HUGE believer in Palmer though. Things are a mess there now and it is difficult to understand as to why any more. I would still give Lewis one more season and let him know that he needs 9 wins in 2008 to keep his job.

Mike (Cleveland): So I guess you aren't doing any predicting today. Is Joe Thomas going to the Pro-bowl. I know Steinbach is going but Thomas is real good.

Matt Williamson: Both are going. Thomas is a lock. Might be the best LT in the league already. Superstar.

Greg (Newbury Park, CA): Where do you see Indy's record this year with ELi at QB instead of Peyton?

Matt Williamson: 7-9, 6-10. HUGE difference. What player in the NFL is MORE important to his team than Peyton? No one is more improtant, a few could be equal, but no one is more.

Phil: Did you know that 99.3% of Boston fans don't realize how annoying they are?

Matt Williamson: I feel ya a little bit there, but they have a lot to be happy about! Don't be jealous.

reids-chicago: Why do people ask fictional questions? Really annoying

Matt Williamson: At least I am never wrong when I answer those! lol

Majeed: M-Dub, Ben doesn't necessarily have chopped liver around him. FWP, Hines, Holmes, Heath are all solid, and dumptruck Davenport is decent too.

Matt Williamson: I agree with that, but Majeed, PGH is going to call you and I to play OL for them soon. Their protection has stunk this year. Ben is always under siege and runs around like a flag football game.

Alex (Wisconsin): Do the Vikings have any chance of doing anything in the playoffs if they get there?

Matt Williamson: Yes, they have a chance, but playing in Seattle is brutal and I think T Jackson will be exposed in that game. Still, this is a great season for that franchise and they are building something for sure. Sea would spread them out with 4 WR sets and let Hass pick them apart. Wouldn't even try to run. One and done for Minny.

Bo (Honlulu, HI): How many snaps does JaMarcus see this week vs. Indy? And what was the purpose of holding him out against GB while Andrew "I have no business being here" Walter got the mop up duty?

Matt Williamson: Should see 25 snaps or so I would think. Didn't get seeing Walter myself. Odd decision. Maybe to give him tape to try to trade him? No idea.

Nathan (Columbus, OH): After Adrian Peterson's soft performance last week, does Joe Thomas have a realistic chance for Rookie of Year?

Matt Williamson: I don't think so. Peterson is still amongst the rushing leaders after that performance and missing two games. Thomas is great and might even deserve it, but it wont' happen.

Mike(Cleveland): Matt, any chance the bears offer a big contract to derek anderson in the off season and the browns do not match?

Matt Williamson: Could happen. He would fit well there. Big arm to cut the wind. Spend draft picks and other resources on OLinemen who can pass block-as he has in Clev. I might let him go if I were in Clev's shoes if Chi offers him a giant contract and Clev would get their 1st and 3rd in return. BIG investment for Chicago.

ben plattsburgh: would patrick willis be better suited to playing in a 4-3? with two fat DTs in front of him i think his skills would be better used

Matt Williamson: I agree with you. Much like Ray Lewis in the 3-4 vs. the 4-3. Good no matter what, but better wtih two giants in front of him. Think on Willis as a Viking!

reids-chicago: Call me crzy but I still like Grossman as the Bears quarterback.

Matt Williamson: But...he is a UFA after the year. Going to invest in that guy long term? Big signing bouns? Interested to watch Orton from here on out and I like him as a solid #2. I don't trust Grossman one bit...especially in the big pressure games.

Dustin (Dayton, OH): Vilma, Haynseworth, Taylor?? any other guys out there that might be able to get my Bengals above 8-8 in 08'?

Matt Williamson: Should be a very good DL draft near the top of the board-could work out real well for Cincy. A guy like Ellis from USC. Will get some LBs back healthy as well. Haynesworth isn't leaving Tenn-he has Franchise tag written all over him.

Ryan (San Diego): Why does Romo get all the love from ESPN and Rivers gets hammered when he did the same thing against a better team?...on one leg!

Matt Williamson: Romo is a FAR better QB than Rivers. Not even close. Please.

Matt (Cambridge): Hey, I love Joe Thomas too, but what about Logan Mankins at LG? Would that be the best young left side of an O-line in any Pro Bowl ever? Also, to everyone else in the league, remember that the Pats were a joke for 40 years, and let us enjoy this decade.

Matt Williamson: Good point about the Pats' history. Mankins is great. NE's left side isnt too shabby as it is! Neither is Clev's with Steinbach.

Jeremy(Dallas): Cause Romo is better Ryan... I can answer that one

Matt Williamson: Doesn't take an expert for that answer, eh?

Joe (Grand Rapids, MI): Do the Vikings have the best draft class in history?

Matt Williamson: LOL-No, but it is pretty awesome. The Niners and Steelers each had a crazy draft. Ronnie Lott's draft I think. PGH's had Mike Webster, Lynn Swann and Jack Lambert...all in the Hall.

JT (Toronto, Canada): Who will be the starting Offensive Tackles for the AFC in the Pro Bowl this year? Who beats out Jason Peters?

Matt Williamson: Peters is really good, but I would put him just behind Joe Thomas as the best AFC LT. Not sure if they pick LT and RT or just OT. If so, both will start. However, don't be surprised if they get overlooked more than they should. the Pro Bowl is brutal on OLinemen. Dumb.

Tim (California Viking): T-Jack is really starting to look like he may be a pretty good QB after all! Childress may actually have been right.

Matt Williamson: I have bashed TJax repeatedly, but I have to give him credit of late. Still not sold however...

John Stallworth (Pittsburgh): I was in that 1974 draft also!

Matt Williamson: I know. Sorry #82, how did I forget ya?

Tom, Boston: Bills-Browns... you think the Bills can win this game if they open up the offense a little bit for Trent Edwards?

Matt Williamson: I think their running attack is the key. If they control the ball on the ground behind that massive OL, DA and K2 and Braylon are on the sidelines and the pressure goes to them. If they can't run, they are in big trouble. Clev will bring S Jones into the box, but Edwards should be effecient enough to keep them honest and expose 8 man fronts pretty well.

Mike (cleveland): I am having a brain fart, but other than LT and Parker, who would you rate above Jamal Lewis for the pro-bowl? I know there are better RB's out there but I can't think of any.

Matt Williamson: In the AFC, Addai deserves consideration. Lynch would have-can't put him in now. Same with R Brown-of course not, but he was great. McGahee has been consistent and decent. Fred T has been good too. None are blowing me away though.

Tom (NY): Answer me. Explain how the Jags are FAR SUPERIOR to the Giants. Please explain that bold statement.

Matt Williamson: Honestly, I don't see any area where NYG is better than JAX with the exception to their ability to rush the passer-which, granted, they are exceptional at. If they play on a neutral field, I would make Jax a 9 point favorite. Jax is good.

Lee Evans (Buffalo): Is it wrong to miss JP a little?

Matt Williamson: For you-Yes. For every other Bill-no.

Matt Williamson: Okay-I am out. It was a grin. Adios.