PDA

View Full Version : Packers claim DT Bolston from Vikings

packers11
12-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Packers claim DT Bolston from Vikings
The Packers filled their open roster spot with defensive tackle Conrad Bolston. They claimed him off waivers from the Minnesota Vikings.

Bolston (6-4 and 300 pounds) was originally an undrafted free agent from Maryland. He spent the first 12 weeeks of the season on the Vikings' practice squad before being signed to the active roster on Nov. 28. He played in one game. Bolston will wear No. 93 for the Packers.

Bolston takes the roster spot that came open when the Packers on Tuesday placed defensive Johnny Jolly on injured reserve.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Rastak
12-12-2007, 06:14 PM
I saw that, why is an 11-2 team rooting around in the Vikings trash can!

Who are they gonna cut to make room?

Tony Oday
12-12-2007, 06:15 PM

Jolly is on IR and heck we did get Gilbert Brown not so long ago :)

the_idle_threat
12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Yep, the last #93 we got from the Vikings' trash can worked out pretty well. And don't look now, but they've got a playoff contender up there in the Twin Cities. :shock: :!: :?: :wink: Might have some good players hanging around the roster.

Lurker64
12-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I saw that, why is an 11-2 team rooting around in the Vikings trash can?

The Vikings aren't weak at DT, considering their outstanding starters at both interior positions. It's not like we claimed a Quarterback or a Wide Receiver from the Vikes off of waivers...

You ever heard of this guy Ras?

Rastak
12-12-2007, 06:28 PM
Yep, the last #93 we got from the Vikings' trash can worked out pretty well. And don't look now, but they've got a playoff contender up there in the Twin Cities. :shock: :!: :?: :wink: Might have some good players hanging around the roster.

He just got pulled off the practice squad last week for one game and was heading right back down. Interesting move. I didn't think the Dolphins would claim him, let alone the Packers...but they must see something they like.

Rastak
12-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I saw that, why is an 11-2 team rooting around in the Vikings trash can?

The Vikings aren't weak at DT, considering their outstanding starters at both interior positions. It's not like we claimed a Quarterback or a Wide Receiver from the Vikes off of waivers...

You ever heard of this guy Ras?

Nope. They just signed him last week to the active roster and when Fred Evans came back this week he was gone.

Plus, he's a DE not a DT I think.

RashanGary
12-12-2007, 06:30 PM

You are selling your team very short (QB withstanding). I'm really hoping you guys play Dallas because even if you don't win, I believe the Vikings have one of the toughest team in the NFC (when it comes ot physical play) and the Cowboys will leave that game battered and bruised (if they get out at all).

Then again, I don't know much about Tampa or Seattle. Maybe they have tough teams too.

RashanGary
12-12-2007, 06:32 PM
I would doubt this move pays off down the road, but I don't think taking a defender off the Viking scrap heap is necessarily a bad thing. The Vikings have a pretty stout defense. I would guess their scrap heap is as strong as any.

Lurker64
12-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Nope. They just signed him last week to the active roster and when Fred Evans came back this week he was gone.

He played DT in college, so I think he's still a DT unless the Vikings were looking at converting him.

Here's his
college Bio: (http://umterps.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bolston_conrad00.html)

An anchor in the middle of the defensive line who provided senior leadership in 2006 ... a three-year starter who was a member of the 2006 preseason watch list for the Outland Trophy ... a powerful player with the ability to get upfield while playing the pass as well as the run ... has a quick first step and gets a good push into the offensive line ... his 44 career games played, including 29 starts, were tops among the defensive lineman though 2006 season ... played for the Aina team in the 2007 Hula Bowl ... an Iron Terp with, at 303 pounds, the second-highest strength index on the team (a measure of pound-for-pound strength).

2006 (Senior): Played in all 13 games at defensive tackle, including nine starts ... tallied 35 stops on the season, including 3.5 tackles for loss .... a preseason second-team All-ACC choice by Athlon and The Sporting News ... also tabbed the No. 16-rated defensive tackle in the nation by The Sporting News entering the season ... (vs. PU in Champs Sports Bowl) ... recorded four tackles, including a sack in ...(vs. WF) ... posted three tackles (one solo) ... (vs. BC) ... recorded two tackles ... (vs. Miami) ... posted a season-high five tackles (one solo) ... (vs. Clemson) ... notched three solo tackles ... (vs. FSU) ... recorded three tackles, with one solo tackle going for a three-yard loss ... also broke up a pass, a near-interception late in the fourth quarter ... (vs. NC St.) ... posted two tackles (one solo) ... (vs. UVA) ... notched one solo tackle ... (vs. GT) ... posted two tackles, one solo ... (vs. FIU) ... notched three tackles, one solo and one TFL ... (vs. MT) ... recorded four tackles, one unasssisted ... also recorded a half sack along with Wesley Jefferson in the second quarter, forcing fourth down ... (vs. W&M) ... finished with one solo tackle and two QB hurries.

2005 (Junior): Started all 11 games at nose tackle, posting 38 tackles (17 solo), including career-highs in tackles for loss (5.5) and sacks (5.0) ... led the team in sacks and tied for third in TFLs ... led all Terp linemen in tackles ... (vs. NCSU) ... had one tackle, including his fifth sack of the season ... (vs. BC) ... was in on five tackles, including his fourth sack of the season ... also forced a fumble ... (at FSU) ... registered three tackles, including one TFL ... teamed with D'Qwell Jackson for a loss of four yards on a Lorenzo Booker sweep... (vs. UVa) ... registered three tackles, including one for a loss ... sacked QB Marques Hagans for a loss of four yards in the third quarter ... (at WFU) ... recorded three tackles ... fell on a Chris Davis fumble with 3:22 to go in the first half, setting up the Terps for 1st-and-10 at the Wake Forest 15-yard line ... (vs. WVU) ... was around the ball all game, registering a sack and forcing a fumble while making three tackles ... (vs. CU) ... finished with five tackles, including three solos ... fought through the middle of the line to sack QB Charlie Whitehurst, forcing fourth-and-long.

2004 (Sophomore): Played in all 11 games, starting 10 at defensive tackle ... finished the season with 27 tackles (nine solo) ... tied for third on the team with 2.5 sacks ... also had five TFLs, batted down a pass and posted five QB hurries ... (vs. FSU) ... recorded one tackle, a half-sack and a half-TFL ... contained QB Wyatt Sexton before combining with David Holloway for a five-yard sack early in the third quarter ... (vs. NCSU) ... finished with four tackles (one solo) and two TFLs for four yards ... (at Duke) ... recorded three tackles (two solo) and a sack ... sacked Mike Schneider for a loss of four yards on a third-and-6 in the second quarter ... (at WVU) ... had a career-high six tackles (three solo) in his first career start ... recorded his second career sack.

2003 (Freshman): Saw spot duty in nine games ... finished the season with seven tackles, two TFLs and one sack ... (vs. CU) ... recorded his first career sack in the second quarter as he powered his way to the QB for a loss of three yards ... finished with two tackles (one solo) ... (vs. The Citadel) ... recorded the first two tackles of his collegiate career (one solo) ... bulled through the line in the third quarter to record a tackle for a loss of two yards ... (at FSU) ... saw his first action as a Terp.

High School: A 2003 graduate of St. John's College High School in Washington, D.C. ... two-way starter who played both offensive tackle and defensive tackle ... as a senior in 2002, was a first team All-Met (defense) choice and first team All-WCAC selection in addition to being named all-area by the Pigskin Club of Washington, D.C. ... was named to the SuperPrep All-America team as a defensive lineman ... averaged closed to 85 snaps per game while playing both ways ... led his team in tackles and sacks and was the top player on a defense that held the opposition to an average of 14.5 ppg ... as a junior, recorded 55 tackles, 14 sacks and caused two fumbles on his way to earning all-city honors on both sides of the ball ... also was named second team All-Met by The Washington Post ... an outstanding wrestler who was 48-4 with 44 pins as a junior ... considered at least 14 scholarship offers, including Ohio State, Boston College, Florida, Tennessee and Penn State, among others ... high school coach as a senior was former Maryland offensive line coach Elliot Uzelac.

Personal: Conrad Bolston was born January 9, 1985 ... the son of Adria and Norman Bolston ... enjoys reading science fiction ... majoring in environmental science and policy-environmental politics.

Rastak
12-12-2007, 06:44 PM

He played DT in college, so I think he's still a DT unless the Vikings were looking at converting him.

I think he was listed as a DE on the roster.

Lurker64
12-12-2007, 06:49 PM

That makes sense, the Vikings have a lot more need at DE than they do at DT with James out and Edwards suspended. They probably thought they could move him outside (a la Cullen Jenkins) and maybe thought better of it and cut him.

Rastak
12-12-2007, 06:56 PM

That makes sense, the Vikings have a lot more need at DE than they do at DT with James out and Edwards suspended. They probably thought they could move him outside (a la Cullen Jenkins) and maybe thought better of it and cut him.

Okay, my bad.....I guess he's a DT. Here's a Star Tribune blog entry....

The Vikings weren’t able to get defensive tackle Conrad Bolston through waivers in order to put him back on their practice squad. Green Bay claimed him Wednesday, meaning he will join the Vikings rival. Bolston spent the first 12 weeks of the season on the Vikings practice squad but was signed to the active roster after defensive tackle Fred Evans was suspended for two games by the NFL.

Evans has been reinstated and the Vikings had to make a roster move. Bolston, who played against San Francisco on Sunday and was credited with a tackle, was placed on waivers on Tuesday.

Bolston will be on the Packers active roster and take the spot that had been held by defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, who was placed on injured reserve this week.

Farley Face
12-12-2007, 07:37 PM

Okay, my bad.....I guess he's a DT. Here's a Star Tribune blog entry....

The Vikings weren’t able to get defensive tackle Conrad Bolston through waivers in order to put him back on their practice squad. Green Bay claimed him Wednesday, meaning he will join the Vikings rival. Bolston spent the first 12 weeks of the season on the Vikings practice squad but was signed to the active roster after defensive tackle Fred Evans was suspended for two games by the NFL.

Evans has been reinstated and the Vikings had to make a roster move. Bolston, who played against San Francisco on Sunday and was credited with a tackle, was placed on waivers on Tuesday.

Bolston will be on the Packers active roster and take the spot that had been held by defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, who was placed on injured reserve this week.

Yep, already been added to the Pack depth chart as a DT on their official site.

HarveyWallbangers
12-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Kind of funny that generally the Vikings have been signing bigger name guys from the Packers while we tend to sign these types of players from Minnesota.

Rastak
12-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Kind of funny that generally the Vikings have been signing bigger name guys from the Packers while we tend to sign these types of players from Minnesota.

It is kind of a contrast. Not quite sure what to make of it though. The 54th guy might be better long term than the established guys.

Do me a big favor and leave Ferguson out of this..... :wink:

CaliforniaCheez
12-12-2007, 08:43 PM
There is just something wrong about bringing in players that have been infected with purple slime. It could just wreck the locker room.

It will take some isolation and re-education.

I hope they can "get his mind right".

Rastak
12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
There is just something wrong about bringing in players that have been infected with purple slime. It could just wreck the locker room.

It will take some isolation and re-education.

I hope they can "get his mind right".

Think Ben Steele.....purple slime.....LOL....you a funny man.

Patler
12-12-2007, 09:13 PM
This could be a real short-term signing. Since he was signed off waivers, they can release him again at any time. Maybe he was a guy they had an interest in from before. If the Vikings intended to sign him back to their practice squad, this would be the only way for the Packers to take a look at him without a commitment more than a week. If they like him, they keep him. If not they can let him go.

Farley Face
12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
This could be a real short-term signing. Since he was signed off waivers, they can release him again at any time. Maybe he was a guy they had an interest in from before. If the Vikings intended to sign him back to their practice squad, this would be the only way for the Packers to take a look at him without a commitment more than a week. If they like him, they keep him. If not they can let him go.

Seems they hedged their bet a bit by signing Malone to the practice squad the other day as well. Between the two of them hopefully they found a DT worthy of emergency snaps should Harrell or any of the others fall to injury (knock on wood).

Fritz
12-13-2007, 09:47 AM

It is kind of a contrast. Not quite sure what to make of it though. The 54th guy might be better long term than the established guys.

RobertFergusonRobertFergusonRobertFerguson.

I love you Ras!

MadScientist
12-13-2007, 10:16 AM

When you sign a name you expect him to be an important cog, which can work very well, or can be very disappointing. Either way the results are visible.

When you sign a 54th man type, you are just looking for a little depth and maybe some raw talent to develop. If nothing happens, who cares, and if the guy does develop, the GM/Coaches look brilliant.

Rastak
12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
I figured out my mistake. The Vikings signed a DE at the same time they promoted the DT to the roster. I thought the Packers had claimed the DE.
He had a sack and a forced fumble last weekend (Grigsby the DE) and is still on the roster. Not sure if the Packer DT played any snaps.

Fritz: He did have a TD Sunday!

Carolina_Packer
12-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Conrad Bolston Intereview and Measurables (http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2007BOLSTON.php)

This could be a diamond in the rough pickup. I'd pick the Vikings DT discards these days. They can't keep all the good ones. This kid was a darkhorse candidate for Outland Trophy in 2006. Doesn't mean he'll be anything, but he wouldn't be there if he didn't have potential. Now we'll see if he does anything with his opportunity. Plus, have the Packers had a Conrad before?

Green Bud Packer
12-13-2007, 11:02 AM
I figured out my mistake. The Vikings signed a DE at the same time they promoted the DT to the roster. I thought the Packers had claimed the DE.
He had a sack and a forced fumble last weekend (Grigsby the DE) and is still on the roster. Not sure if the Packer DT played any snaps.

Bolston forceed a fumble against the Niners.

Rastak
12-13-2007, 12:05 PM

Bolston forceed a fumble against the Niners.

Yea, I guess he did......just checked the defensive box score

Bolston
1 tackle
1 FF

Grigsby
1 tackle
1 FF
1 sack

They both had a forced fumble.

MadtownPacker
12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
It's very obvious M3 was concerned about a rematch against brad "the mastermind" childish so he signed the viking leftovers to get all his secrets.

Zool
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Will we now have a "kick ass" defense?

Harlan Huckleby
12-13-2007, 12:36 PM
An odd time of year to be cutting defensive linemen. I don't expect too much, but no harm in trying.

Rastak
12-13-2007, 02:34 PM
An odd time of year to be cutting defensive linemen. I don't expect too much, but no harm in trying.

He was just up because Fred Evans was out for two weeks.

4and12to12and4
12-13-2007, 05:45 PM

You are selling your team very short (QB withstanding). I'm really hoping you guys play Dallas because even if you don't win, I believe the Vikings have one of the toughest team in the NFC (when it comes ot physical play) and the Cowboys will leave that game battered and bruised (if they get out at all).

Then again, I don't know much about Tampa or Seattle. Maybe they have tough teams too.

You better hope the Queens don't make the playoffs. Not only could they beat Dallas, they could do the same thing they did to us before, win in Lambeau in the playoffs after losing twice previously to us. I don't know about you, but I don't wanna see Chester or AP at Lambeau in the playoffs. And that QB that I thought sucked, and was always gonna suck has suddenly been looking pretty damn good, the running game he has behind him helps, but he has been much more accurate through this little streak Minny's on, and they are starting to scare me. Go Cardinals!!

woodbuck27
12-13-2007, 06:47 PM

Surprized that your not exactly up on what Tampa and Seattle brings to the table JH.

Both at the top of the NFL in respect to 'D'. Both the Buc's and the Seahawk's ranked higher than the Packers on the defensive side of the ball.

Fritz
12-14-2007, 09:40 AM

Fritz: He did have a TD Sunday!

Well, Ras, truth be told I was a big Robert Ferguson supporter on this site for a long time. I was one of those "give him time he's still young" guys. The turning point for me - it was a definitive moment - was the Carolina game on Monday night early in the season where Favre threw Fergie a slant and Fergie let the d-back take it away even though Fergs had better position. After that, I ate my crow and like so many athletes these days, "I just want to go forward." :roll: